X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Didn't see this one coming!!!

Report: Pats decline option on WR-DB Troy Brown

March 1, 2005
    BRISTOL, Connecticut (Ticker) - Troy Brown, the longest-tenured player on the New England Patriots, may not return to the team in 2005.

ESPN is reporting that the Patriots have declined to pick up Brown's contract option for the 2005 season, making the receiver, returner and defensive back a free agent.

The Patriots were seeking to restructure the deal to lessen the salary cap hit of $5.7 million for the upcoming season. Apparently, an agreement could not be reached.

ADVERTISEMENT

Perhaps no player better exemplifies the selfless attitude of the defending Super Bowl champions than Brown.

At age 33 and in his 12th year with the team, Brown was asked by coach Bill Belichick to take some reps at defensive back during training camp last summer and ended up filling in at nickel back.

What started out as a lab experiment for depth purposes turned into a necessary exercise when both of New England's starting cornerbacks - Ty Law and Tyrone Poole - suffered season-ending injuries and Brown was pressed into duty at nickel back. He held up pretty well, recording three interceptions and five passes defensed.

Brown is the franchise's third all-time leading receiver with 475 catches and the all-time leader in punt return yards.

In New England's 2001 championship season, Brown set a club record with 101 catches for 1,199 yards and returned two punts for touchdowns. The following year, he had 97 receptions.

Brown slipped to fourth receiver last season, taking a backseat to David Givens, Deion Branch and David Patten and finishing with just 17 catches for 184 yards.

Re: Didn't see this one coming!!!

I didn't either, but I agree with their move. You can't have a fourth receiver/emergency DB count for over $5 million against the cap.

Comment

Re: Didn't see this one coming!!!

He will be a bargain for someone in Free Agency! Ultimate team player, can help on D if needed and knows how to win.

There is a lot to be said for the inning habit, it rubs off on others.

I'd have him for the 'Skins in a heartbeat.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Rip32
        Brown Sets Sights On Starting
        by Rip32
        Brown Sets Sights on Starting
        Friday, March 31, 2006

By Nick Wagoner
        Senior Writer

On the surface, the Rams’ signing of cornerback Fakhir Brown on March 14 might have been a simple afterthought in the grand scheme of the team’s many offseason moves.

But, if Brown has his way, the move will be much more than a simple under the radar signing.

“I am expecting to be a starter,” Brown said. “That’s what I want to be…a starter. I have got big plans for myself.”

It didn’t take much for Brown to agree to a five-year deal with the Rams considering what he perceived as a prime opportunity to have his breakout season.

Soon after his arrival for a free agent visit in mid-March, Brown put pen to paper on a contract. The reasons for his choosing St. Louis were obvious. Jim Haslett, his former head coach in New Orleans is now in charge of the Rams defense, giving Brown a chance for a comfortable transition to St. Louis.

“I look at him like he’s still the head coach because that’s the only thing I know him as,” Brown said. “It seems to me that he will be just the same as he was in New Orleans.”

But, perhaps more important for Brown was what Haslett and the rest of the coaching staff told him about his potential role in St. Louis. In his time with the Saints, Brown had been limited almost exclusively to a role as the nickel back and on special teams until 2004 when he started the final 10 games of the year. He finished that season with two interceptions, three forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and 65 tackles.

Brown seemed to be on the verge of a breakout after that performance, but things changed again after he chose to stage a holdout in hopes of a new contract. He didn’t miss any minicamp or training camp, but it didn’t help to miss a chunk of the offseason conditioning program.

Brown started the year as the team’s starting cornerback in 2005, but suffered a knee injury that cost him four games. By the time he returned from that injury and a legal issue, Fred Thomas had the starting job essentially nailed down.

When he was on the field, he was playing in nickel or sub packages, only called upon when opponents went to three or four receiver packages. Brown started four games and finished with 31 tackles, six passes defended.

Now, Brown has the contract he had been looking for after 2004 and the opportunity that he has long sought.

“It feels very good for me,” Brown said. “I talked to the defensive coaches once I made it here. I have talked to the coaches and everyone is making me feel comfortable and at home. They are just telling me to keep doing what I have been doing and everything will work out well.”

In signing with St. Louis, Brown joins a crowded defensive back field that is wanting for talented cover men. As it stands, the Rams...
        -03-31-2006, 12:07 PM
      • Tampa_Ram
        Rams Cutting Jason Brown
        by Tampa_Ram
        Source: Rams cutting Jason Brown
        by Aaron Wilson of Scout.com, March 12, 2012 at 2:57 pm ET

Jason Brown Profile

St. Louis Rams center Jason Brown has been informed by coach Jeff Fisher that he'll be released today, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

The Rams abruptly replaced Brown with Tony Wragge at the end of last season despite Brown receiving high blocking grades from the coaching staff.

Brown joined the Rams three years ago when he was signed to a five-year, $37.5 million contract that included $20 million in guaranteed money and made him the highest-paid center in the game.

Under the terms of that deal, he's due a $5 million base salary and carries a $7.2 million salary-cap figure for next season.

He started 46 games in three seasons for the Rams.

A former Baltimore Ravens fourth-round draft pick from North Carolina, Brown, 28, has started 91 career games.

The 6-foot-3, 320-pounder has built a reputation for his leverage, strength and technique.
        -03-12-2012, 12:11 PM
      • RamsFan16
        Rams have a 'superb' cornerback
        by RamsFan16
        By Jim Thomas
        ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
        04/24/2006

FILE PHOTO: St. Louis Rams safety Fakhir Brown (26) guards wide receiver Dominique Thompson (in white, at right) during Saturday's mini-camp at Rams Park in Earth City.
        ( HUY RICHARD MACH/P-D)

Cornerback Fakhir Brown is superb.

Really. He is.

"'Fakhir' means 'superb,'" Brown explained during Rams minicamp over the weekend. "My father named me."

The Rams obviously hope Brown can play up to his name after signing him to a five-year, $12 million free-agent contract in March.

"I'm coming here to start," Brown says confidently. "That's what I plan to do - to be a starter."

That may come as news to incumbents Jerametrius Butler and Travis Fisher. Fisher has been a primary starter at corner since 2002 but missed 14 games over the past two seasons because of injuries. Butler missed the entire '05 season after starting 31 games at cornerback in '03 and '04.

The Rams' signing of Brown is part of a concerted effort to upgrade the secondary.

"Obviously, that's been an area of concern based on how they've played as of late," coach Scott Linehan said. "The thing I like about Fakhir is he's a competitor. He backs down to nobody.

"He'll come up to bump, has no problem doing it. One of the reasons is he has nice size (5 feet 11, 197 pounds). He's a guy that has a rare combination of athleticism, speed and size. The knock on him coming here was he wasn't able to stay completely healthy."

Born in Detroit, Brown played his high school football in Mansfield (La.), and stayed in Louisiana for college at Grambling State. After college, he spent a year in the Canadian Football League with Toronto, then signed with San Diego in the NFL as an undrafted free agent in 1999. He appeared in 18 games, including 11 starts for the Chargers over the next two seasons, missing seven games in 2000 with a shoulder injury.

Cut at the end of the preseason in 2001, Brown spent a year out of football before landing with New Orleans in 2002. He didn't miss a game in '03 and '04 for the Saints, starting the final 10 contests of '04 at right corner.

At the start of last season, he was considered the Saints' best corner. But just when it looked as if his career was taking off, he suffered a fluke injury in practice.

"I was really trying to make the Pro Bowl," Brown said. "That's what one of my goals was, but I had the little freak accident."

In practice before the second game of the season, Brown collided with defensive end Darren Howard, suffering a bone bruise to his left knee.

"They tried to drain it, but it kept flaring back up, so I had to just let it rest...
        -04-25-2006, 05:39 AM
      • RamWraith
        by RamWraith
        By Jim Thomas
        ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
        Tuesday, Apr. 25 2006

Cornerback Fakhir Brown is superb.

Really. He is.

"'Fakhir' means 'superb,'" Brown explained during Rams minicamp over the
        weekend. "My father named me."

The Rams obviously hope Brown can play up to his name after signing him to a
        five-year, $12 million free-agent contract in March.

"I'm coming here to start," Brown says confidently. "That's what I plan to do -
        to be a starter."

That may come as news to incumbents Jerametrius Butler and Travis Fisher.
        Fisher has been a primary starter at corner since 2002 but missed 14 games over
        the past two seasons because of injuries. Butler missed the entire '05 season
        after starting 31 games at cornerback in '03 and '04.

The Rams' signing of Brown is part of a concerted effort to upgrade the
        secondary.

"Obviously, that's been an area of concern based on how they've played as of
        late," coach Scott Linehan said. "The thing I like about Fakhir is he's a
        competitor. He backs down to nobody.

"He'll come up to bump, has no problem doing it. One of the reasons is he has
        nice size (5 feet 11, 197 pounds). He's a guy that has a rare combination of
        athleticism, speed and size. The knock on him coming here was he wasn't able to
        stay completely healthy."

Born in Detroit, Brown played his high school football in Mansfield (La.), and
        stayed in Louisiana for college at Grambling State. After college, he spent a
        year in the Canadian Football League with Toronto, then signed with San Diego
        in the NFL as an undrafted free agent in 1999. He appeared in 18 games,
        including 11 starts for the Chargers over the next two seasons, missing seven
        games in 2000 with a shoulder injury.

Cut at the end of the preseason in 2001, Brown spent a year out of football
        before landing with New Orleans in 2002. He didn't miss a game in '03 and '04
        for the Saints, starting the final 10 contests of '04 at right corner.

At the start of last season, he was considered the Saints' best corner. But
        just when it looked as if his career was taking off, he suffered a fluke injury
        in practice.

"I was really trying to make the Pro Bowl," Brown said. "That's what one of my
        goals was, but I had the little freak accident."

In practice before the second game of the season, Brown collided with defensive
        end Darren Howard, suffering a bone bruise to his left knee.

"They tried to drain it, but it kept flaring back up, so I had to just let it
        rest until it healed a little bit," Brown said....
        -04-25-2006, 10:18 AM
      • Nick
        Brown Hopes to be the Right Choice at Tackle
        by Nick
        Brown Hopes to be the Right Choice at Tackle
        Friday, April 15, 2005
        By Nick Wagoner
        Staff Writer

Jammal Brown always knew that one day he would be lining up in the trenches in the NFL. According to Brown, it was predestined that one day he would be going head to head with someone about his size on Sundays.

Of course, Brown always thought he would be doing his business on the defensive side of the ball. Coming out of McArthur High in Lawton, Okla., Brown was one of the top defensive tackles in the nation. After committing to the home-state Sooners, Brown arrived ready to put pressure on the quarterback.

When Oklahoma asked him to protect the signal-caller instead, Brown thought about transferring. All he ever wanted was to play defense and nearly moved to Miami to become a Hurricane.

Four years later, here Brown sits as one of the top offensive tackles awaiting his fate in the April 23 NFL Draft. Standing 6-feet-6 and 313 pounds, Brown possesses excellent quickness and burst off the ball. But it is his mean, nasty streak that sets him apart from other tackles.

In his final two years at Oklahoma, Brown allowed just one sack, a testament to his spiteful disposition on the football field.

“I just know that I was always taught to not let anybody get near your quarterback, so that’s what I did,” Brown said. “It’s a personal thing because you don’t want those guys just to beat you and all of the fingers will be pointing at you. So, I just make sure that no one comes close to him.”

Brown’s quarterback, Jason White, was so well protected that he won the Heisman Trophy two seasons ago and finished in the top five last year. In fact, Brown and the rest of the offensive line were so dominant this past season that running back Adrian Peterson was also a Heisman finalist. Brown earned the Outland Trophy as the nation’s top interior lineman for his efforts in 2004.

Things haven’t been easy for Brown throughout his college career, though. He suffered a serious knee sprain in fall camp before the 2000 season. He missed the entire year. Then, in his final college game, against USC in the Orange Bowl, Brown suffered a left shoulder strain. The injury wasn’t serious, but also came in the middle of a shellacking by the Trojans adding insult to injury.

Since that final game, Brown has done nothing to hurt his draft stock. He is clearly one of the three best tackles in the draft after having an impressive pro day at Oklahoma and running a solid 5.01 in the 40-yard dash at the combine.

One thing Brown has going for him is the fact that he is pretty much built to play right tackle because of his run blocking ability. He will probably be the second offensive tackle off the board after Florida State’s Alex Barron. One team that could have its eyes on Brown is St. Louis.

In need of a right...
        -04-18-2005, 03:41 AM
      Working...
      X