Holmgren???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holmgren???

I love football and love to talk about all teams...I needed to bring this up to you fans.

What in the hell is up with Holmgren in Seattle??? Starting Watters over Alexander?? Is it just me or is this guy digging his grave??

Alexander is the future

Seahawks are going young with the evidence pointing straight at the QB Hasselback. Shawn Alexander is a very talented RB, but Watters isn't finished. However, the future is with Alexander.

So, what to do with Watters? Well, Seattle is in dire need of some D help, and who needs an RB more than Baltimore? Hmmmm:nerd:

Comment

Just saw on ESPN where Watters is starting Sunday.

Go figure!!!

Comment

I Have always hated holmgren, he looks funny. I do believe he is digging his grave by starting watters.

Comment

seattle will just perennially suck, period. hasselbeck will never get them to the super bowl. alexander is an awesome back, but like dillon he's cursed to play for a ****ty team. holmgren probably won't get fired for a while since he's the GM and they're still riding his rep.

seattle isn't going anywhere anytime soon - glad to see them in the new division next year.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• DJRamFan
            [Seahawks] Readers respond to Shaun Alexander
            by DJRamFan
            SHAUN ALEXANDER

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It must be a personal thing for Holmgren
            I believe that coach Mike Holmgren did a great disservice to the fans, the Seattle area, the franchise, and the offensive line by not giving Shaun Alexander the opportunity to score and at least share the rushing title.

How many touchdowns does Alexander have from 1 to 3 yards out? Quite a few. Coach Holmgren put an already injured Matt Hasselbeck at further risk with the quarterback sneak.

Why would Coach Holmgren want to screw Alexander? I don't know, but I believe it was purposeful. It had to be. Holmgren must be a happy man: winning the game and a playoff spot, plus stopping Alexander one freakin' yard short!

And everyone thought Holmgren was tracking Curtis Martin's and Alexander's yards to make sure Alexander won the rushing title? Obviously, quite the opposite.

I know -- winning the playoff spot for the team overshadows the personal goal. But you still should be able to recognize when you're getting screwed.

Too bad, Seattle. Good luck to you, anyway!

David Ring
            Cleveland

Hawks would be fine without Alexander
            Shaun Alexander is the classic spoiled, pampered athlete who still believes it is all about him. He cried when he felt the fans were too hard on the team. Shaun has been laying the groundwork all year to make his exit.

I, for one, will be glad to see him gone. As the Denver Broncos have proven, it is just as much the system as it is the running back. I can recall a couple of games this year when on third down he couldn't make a simple yard. How many times this year did he simply run out of bounds instead of turning up field? How many times did he lose focus and get the ball poked out from behind?

Shaun, I won't miss you or your attitude.

Tom Wood
            Seattle

Holmgren's 'cute' calls ruin great day for Hawks
            Just another snub of the great running back! Holmgren and his cute offensive calls cost Shaun, his entire offensive line and fullback Mack Strong lifetime bragging rights of winning or helping win a rushing title.

And Holmgren doesn't even have the guts to say he messed up? This is as bad as former Bears running back Walter Payton not scoring a touchdown in the Super Bowl years ago. At least coach Mike Ditka now says that was one of his biggest mistakes he ever made.

Thanks for ruining a great day, Mr. Holmgren!

Steve Blackman
            Renton

Alexander needs to be a team player
            Just tell Alexander, that crybaby whiner, that it seems to me I read an article that he was going to be a "team player" this year....
            -01-05-2005, 05:33 PM
          • RamWraith
            Alexander to play? Holmgren has to say so first
            by RamWraith
            By Len Pasquarelli
            ESPN.com

Despite claims by tailback Shaun Alexander that the broken bone in his left foot has improved to the point where he might be able play this weekend, Seattle Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren said Wednesday afternoon that he will not risk the long-term health of the NFL's reigning most valuable player.

"If we still see the crack [on an MRI exam], and I'm pretty sure we will, then we're not going to take any chances," Holmgren said. "Even if he says he feels well, I can't run the risk [of doing further damage to the foot]."

Citing the power of prayer as a key to the dramatic improvement in his foot, Alexander first suggested earlier Wednesday that he might be able to play in Sunday night's game against the Chicago Bears. The seventh-year veteran was bothered by a bruised foot in the season opener, then experienced further discomfort during Sunday's victory over the New York Giants, and a Monday examination revealed a small, non-displaced fracture.

Holmgren announced at the time that Alexander would be sidelined for at least a couple of weeks, would not require surgery, and that Maurice Morris would replace him in the starting lineup. The team is also expected to expand its use of four-wide receiver formations during his absence.

"I don't think [the rehabilitation] will be real lengthy, but it is what it is," Holmgren said on Monday in announcing the injury. "So now, he just has to stay off it and allow it to heal up ... When you lose the MVP for a while, it's a hit."

Alexander, who walked into Seahawks headquarters Wednesday morning not wearing the plastic boot that was supposed to protect the break in his left foot, would need clearance from the team's medical staff to play Sunday. Even though the star tailback insisted his foot is much improved, Holmgren seemed more than a little dubious during his afternoon news conference. Alexander will undergo a follow-up round of tests, likely including another MRI, later on Wednesday.

The Seahawks have officially listed Alexander as "doubtful" on the NFL injury report.

Holmgren said Alexander reported for work on Wednesday "feeling really good" and "kind of frisky as a matter of fact." The coach stressed several times, however, that he does not want to exacerbate the situation by allowing Alexander to return too soon. And he strongly hinted he will rely more on the advice of the team's medical staff than on the desires of his most valuable player.

If Alexander does sit out on Sunday, it will mark the first game he has missed in his NFL career, after a streak of 99 appearances. He has not missed a start since Sept. 21, 2003, when he arrived late to Qwest Field following the birth of his daughter.

Alexander, 29, has rushed for over 1,000 yards in each...
            -09-27-2006, 02:30 PM
          • RamWraith
            Seattle offense clicks behind running back
            by RamWraith
            By Lori Shontz
            Of the Post-Dispatch
            Saturday, Nov. 13 2004

It isn’t like Seattle running back Shaun Alexander is invisible, exactly. He
            has gained more than 1,000 yards every season since 2001. He went to the Pro
            Bowl last season. Headed into Sunday’s game with the Rams, he is the NFC’s
            leading rusher with 879 yards.

But no, he’s not the league’s most prominent player, not the guy who’s all over
            television, endorsing products or breaking yet another run on the highlight
            shows. But that’s exactly what Alexander expected after he was drafted by the
            Seahawks in the first round of the 2000 draft.

"It’s bittersweet both ways," Alexander said. "It would be great to be in a
            city where there’s bright lights and all the commercials, to be with the best
            of the best. And then, there’s times where you’re (thinking), ‘Man, you know
            what? Let’s just go out to the nicest restaurant in town and not be hassled.’"

Alexander laughed. "I guess for me, the simplest way to take it is I enjoy
            wherever I am, and I’m going to have fun wherever I’m at."

For the past two weeks, the best place for Alexander has been on the football
            field, as the focal point for the Seahawks’ offense. Seattle broke a three-game
            losing streak on Halloween, when Alexander rushed for 195 yards and a touchdown
            on 32 carries. A week ago, the Seahawks beat San Francisco thanks largely to
            Alexander, who carried 26 times for 160 yards and two touchdowns.

Seattle coach Mike Holmgren, however, doesn’t think his team’s recent success
            is due solely to rediscovering Alexander, who rushed for only 77 and 65 yards,
            respectively, in losses to the New England Patriots and Arizona Cardinals.

"It seems that way, I know it seems that way," Holmgren said. "But really, the
            games unfold the way they unfold. But ... having said that, yeah, I think we
            have a really good running back, and I’m going to hand him the ball as long as
            we’re gaining yards running the ball."

But as Rams defensive lineman Tyoka Jackson observed, Seattle quarterback Matt
            Hasselbeck was struggling a bit, and it made sense for the Seahawks to balance
            out their offense. "They’re riding on his back, and that’s smart — he’s a heck
            of a player," Jackson said of Alexander. "They’re trying to be balanced, and as
            good as Hasselbeck is, he’s still a young quarterback."

Holmgren agreed.

"Yeah, our running game helps the quarterback, there’s no question about that,"
            he said. "The other thing, we considered some things, and we had a volume of
            offense that I think was unmanageable."

-11-13-2004, 07:03 PM
          • Nick
            Sirius NFL Radio on Shawn Alexander
            by Nick
            Adam Schefter of the NFL Network reports on Sirius NFL Radio today that the liklihood of Shawn Alexander signing long-term with the Seahawks is very, very slim. He then speculates that Alexander, who probably is not exceptionally liked in the Seattle locker room, could be had for a fourth or fifth round pick, but he claims no one wants Alexander right now because they'd have to shell out big money on a multi-year deal, and no one is willing to pay Alexander the kind of money he wants.
            -07-18-2005, 02:36 PM
          • DJRamFan
            [Seahawks] Alexander regrets 'stab' comments
            by DJRamFan
            By CLARE FARNSWORTH
            SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

KIRKLAND -- Wearing a "Division Champion" hat, a Shaun Alexander Foundation T-shirt and his ever-present grin, the Seahawks' Pro Bowl running back didn't look, sound or act like someone who had been stabbed in the back.

But it was his caustic comments rooted in frustration after the team's division-clinching victory over the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday that prompted Alexander to hold a news conference yesterday -- overshadowing what should have been a feel-good day for a team that struggled but still found a way to win the NFC West title.

Grant M. Haller / P-I
            Shaun Alexander's news conference yesterday attracted some 35 members of the news media to Seahawks headquarters. "It got the best of me and I definitely blurted out stuff I shouldn't have said," he said.
            "I think the biggest thing in the world is how apologetic I am to this whole situation -- how me and going after a record, and my feelings about a record, could even take any excitement, any of the light away from winning a championship," Alexander said.

That is, however, exactly what has happened after Alexander finished the season with 1,696 rushing yards, one fewer than the New York Jets' Curtis Martin.

It was Alexander's contention after the game that coach Mike Holmgren calling a quarterback sneak by Matt Hasselbeck from the Atlanta 1-yard line for what proved to be the game-winning score cost him a chance to be the first Seahawk to lead the league in rushing.

"Are you kidding me? You know the play," Alexander said after the game. "We all know what it was. Stabbed in the back."

It was the second of his three references to being stabbed in the back in a short, eruptive exchange with only a few reporters before the team's public relations staff stepped in. Alexander later talked to more reporters, but did not repeat the inflammatory phrase.

"It got the best of me and I definitely blurted out stuff I shouldn't have said," Alexander said yesterday. Of his stabbed in the back analogy, he added, "That was just a little too extreme. That's just an extreme statement."

He also quashed any thoughts that Holmgren had deliberately called the quarterback sneak to deprive him of the rushing title.

"He couldn't have done it on purpose," Alexander said. "He's not like that."

Sources confirmed yesterday that Alexander does not have incentive clauses in the contract he signed as a rookie in 2000 that cost him a bonus for failing to lead the league in rushing. But he is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent March 2, and was asked if Sunday's frustration would be a factor in him signing elsewhere.

"Everyone knows I...
            -01-05-2005, 05:31 PM
          Working...
          X