Proposed Rule change for 2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposed Rule change for 2017

The NFL announced a list of proposed rule changes for 2017. (See Rams website for it's story on March 23, 2017 for a full list and which team requested each).

A couple seem worthy; a couple rolled my eyes. But one rule in particular caught my interest:

15. By Competition Committee; Makes actions to conserve time illegal after the two-minute warning of either half.

Makes me wonder what actions they're trying to prohibit. Wouldn't the language of this rule affect qb spikes to stop the clock?
    I understand Goodell and crew have been active in trying to keep game length under 3 hours. This proposed rule seems to support that mindset. But, if an offense is in control of the ball and trying to score at the end of half or end of game... should they be penalized for sacrificing a down to stop the clock?

Something tells me that's not the type of conduct they're trying to prevent. But if that's the case, can someone tell me what action they might be trying to regulate here? what am i missing?

Originally posted by KoaKoi View Post
    But, if an offense is in control of the ball and trying to score at the end of half or end of game... should they be penalized for sacrificing a down to stop the clock?
    Under the old rules, a quick spike of the ball was ruled intentional grounding (though the penalty wasn't as severe). I believe the rule was changed to cut down on the "acting" jobs. I prefer the rules and pace of the mid-'70s game, but that may just be my personal bias and fond memories of the great Ram defenses of the era.

Comment

The first thing I thought of was faking an injury. I could see something like a clock stoppage by an injured player would cause that player to be removed from the remainder of the game and a charged timeout. If the team doesn't have a timeout, a 15 yard penalty and/or automatic first down depending on if the "injured player" is offense or defense.

Another thought is delay of game by not allowing a player to get up off the turf, but that is more to let a clock run out instead of allowing the next play to be run.

gap

Comment

Originally posted by gap View Post
        The first thing I thought of was faking an injury. I could see something like a clock stoppage by an injured player would cause that player to be removed from the remainder of the game and a charged timeout. If the team doesn't have a timeout, a 15 yard penalty and/or automatic first down depending on if the "injured player" is offense or defense.

Another thought is delay of game by not allowing a player to get up off the turf, but that is more to let a clock run out instead of allowing the next play to be run.
        gap

Hmmm, well they already automatically charge a timeout to the injured players team if they get hurt inside of 2 minutes. Perhaps this rule is trying to expand that a bit and include yardage as part of the penalty. Thanks for your thoughts gap.

Comment

Working...
        X