• Nick
    Rams Nation MVP
    • May 2004

T.J. McDonald signs four-year, $24 million extension with Dolphins

T.J. McDonald signs four-year, $24 million extension with Dolphins
    2:01 PM ET
    James Walker
    ESPN Staff Writer

The Miami Dolphins signed safety T.J. McDonald to a four-year, $24 million extension, a source tells ESPN. McDonald will received $10 million in guarantees with the new deal.

McDonald signed a one-year contract with the Dolphins in the spring despite being hit with an eight-game suspension for violating the NFL substance abuse policy. The suspension begins this week.

The Dolphins were so impressed with McDonald's play in training camp and the preseason and how he handled the suspension that the team wanted to keep him in Miami long term to pair with former Pro Bowl safety Reshad Jones.

McDonald played four seasons with the Los Angeles Rams before signing with the Dolphins. He has 285 tackles, five sacks and four interceptions since being drafted in the third round in 2013.

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
    How much do the Dolphins like T.J. McDonald? Enough to give him a contract extension
    by Nick
    How much do the Dolphins like T.J. McDonald? Enough to give him a contract extension
    BY ARMANDO SALGUERO
    [email protected]
    SEPTEMBER 01, 2017 12:26 AM

The Miami Dolphins have been so impressed by what they’ve seen from T.J. McDonald the past few months that they’re negotiating a contract extension with his agent to keep the safety in South Florida for several years, according to NFL sources.

McDonald, 26, signed a one-year, $1,344,445 contract with the Dolphins in late March that was basically a get-to-know-you deal for both sides.

For the Dolphins, they signed a player who was off the so-called free agent board for some teams because he needed to serve an NFL mandated eight-game suspension at the beginning of this season for violating the NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse. That suspension begins next week.

For McDonald, coming to Miami was a chance at a new beginning. He is far from the University of Southern California campus he roamed while playing for the Trojans. He is far from the Los Angeles Rams that drafted him in 2013. It was a new start far from an environment that had at times led him astray off the field.

This was a trial for both team and player.

And out of that arrangement something of a love affair has blossomed, which is why both sides are tying to turn it into a longterm relationship.

The Dolphins want to get an extension completed as early as this weekend and certainly before McDonald returns to the field following his eight-game suspension so they can feel they’ve addressed a need at the back end of their secondary -- finding a big, playmaking safety to team with Reshad Jones -- for years to come.

Nate Allen, who signed a one-year deal with Miami, will fill that role the first half of the season but he is something of a stopgap measure at the position.

McDonald, meanwhile, is interested in an extension because it would help make him financially whole after his free agent market sank following his suspension. An extension would significantly raise McDonald’s ‘17 pay in the form of a signing bonus or guarantee of some sort.

That’s important to McDonald because his current 2017 contract actually pays about $300,000 less than he made in 2016 while he was still on his rookie deal.

None of this would be a consideration were it not that McDonald has been a model citizen while with the Dolphins. He works hard. He is respected within the building and, yes, he’s played very well. Coaches have marveled at how a 6-2 and 222-pound player can move and cover like a safety while also hit like a linebacker.

The top 5 highest paid safeties in the NFL average from $10.25 million per year up to $13 million per year for Kansas City’s Eric Berry. McDonald is not in that company.

And the Dolphins are expecting something of a bargain because they...
    -09-01-2017, 06:43 AM
  • r8rh8rmike
    Dannell Ellerbe, Miami Dolphins Agree To $35M Deal
    by r8rh8rmike
    Dannell Ellerbe, Miami Dolphins agree to $35M deal

By Gregg Rosenthal
    Around The League Editor
    Published: March 12, 2013 at 05:56 p.m.

The escape from Baltimore continues as Ravens linebacker Dannell Ellerbe on Tuesday agreed to terms with the Miami Dolphins, according to NFL.com's Albert Breer.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported on Tuesday the deal is for five years and is worth $35 million.
    -03-12-2013, 03:29 PM
  • evil disco man
    Dolphins snag ex-Raiders safety Gibril Wilson
    by evil disco man
    By John Clayton
    ESPN.com
    Archive
    Gibril Wilson, like most good safeties, knows how to react in tough situations. Wilson bounced back from his release from the Raiders with a solid deal from the Miami Dolphins.

According to a source, Wilson agreed to a five-year, $27.5 million deal with the Dolphins that included $8 million in guarantees. He is scheduled to make $12 million over the first two years of the contract and $16.5 million over the first three.

Last season, the Raiders gave him an $8.4 million signing bonus and a $605,000 base as part of a six-year, $39 million contract. Even though he was released after one year by Oakland, Wilson will make $21 million from 2008 through 2010.

In his first season with the Dolphins, football operations vice president Bill Parcells aggressively hit the market, signing guard Justin Smiley and others right after the free-agency period began. This year, Parcells is doing some of his best work before the start of free agency.

The signing of Wilson, along with the re-signings of tackle Vernon Carey and inside linebacker Channing Crowder, resolved three starting lineup issues as the Dolphins prepare for free agency.
    -02-26-2009, 04:08 PM
  • Nick
    Justin Smiley (G, *****) signs five-year deal with Dolphins
    by Nick
    Smiley agrees to five-year deal with Dolphins

The free-agent signing period has barely started and the ***** have already lost a player.

Guard Justin Smiley has agreed to terms with the Dolphins on a five-year, $25 million contract than includes a $9 million signing bonus, he said. He is scheduled to fly to Miami early Friday morning to sign the contract and make it official.

"I'm very excited about the opportunity," Smiley said on the phone just moments ago. "Miami called as soon as they were able to call me and told me they'd like to have me down there. They called me right after it (free agency) started. They offered me that (contract). I feel very blessed. It feels good to have security. I want to go down there and give them every penny's worth and play hard for them."

Smiley said he is slated to play right guard for the Dolphins. Smiley resides in Ellabel, Ga., and attended Alabama.

"To me, it seems like a good fit, me being from the South," Smiley said. "There are a lot of other factors you have to weigh when you're considering a situation like this. I talked to them just a little while ago, and this is flattering that they came after me like this."

Smiley was a second-round pick of the ***** in 2004. He and the ***** were far apart in contract talks, dating back the past two seasons. He said he has not yet spoken to the *****.

"It's a bummer because those guys mean a lot to me," Smiley said. "Being around those other offensive linemen and the organization, it made a positive impact in my life. The fans of San Francisco, they're faithful. I always hoped I could be a 49er, but it didn't work out."

Smiley started all 32 games in 2005 and '06. He played most of the '06 season with a torn left labrum. He sustained a dislocated right shoulder in the eighth game last season and had season-ending surgery Nov. 13. He probably will not take part in any contact until training camp, as a precaution.

Smiley will undoubtedly have to pass a physical with the Dolphins. He said that should be no problem, as his rehabilitation is ahead of schedue.
    -02-28-2008, 11:27 PM
  • 39thebeast
    Dolphins moves look good for Rams
    by 39thebeast
    A league source told FOXSports.com that Miami is preparing to offer Pace the same kind of mega-deal that linebackers Adalius Thomas and Joey Porter received in free agency last off-season. New England and Miami signed Thomas and Porter respectively to five-year, $32 million contracts that included $20 million in guaranteed money.

Dolphins agreed to terms with DT Randy Starks on a five-year, $21 million contract, with $7 million guaranteed.
    Starks has played in a 4-3 scheme in Tennessee the past four years, but is the big (6'3/315), high-upside type player Bill Parcells looks for. Of course, he's also had off-field problems, something Parcells said he wouldn't tolerate. It's remarkable Starks got this money with such little production as a pro. Feb. 29 - 3:04 pm et
    Source: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

The Cowboys are trading Ferguson to the Dolphins for a 2009 sixth-round pick, and the teams will swap sixth-rounders this year. Dealing Ferguson clears about $2.4 million on this year's salary cap.

Dolphins signed QB Josh McCown to a two-year, $6.25 million contract.
    We'll pencil him in as their new starter, although McCown will have to hold off John Beck and most likely a draft pick. McCown, 28, has always had the physical traits (arm, athleticism, size), but never completed more than 60.4% of his passes or had a 7.0+ YPA in a season. He is not the long-term answer, but that's also not what the Dolphins are expecting from him.
    Source: Palm Beach Post

What does this mean for the Rams. I think this means Chris Long. Why? some experts have said Chris Long is maxed out and can't get big enough to be affective in the 3-4 unless he plays OLB. With two big money guys in Pace and Porter at OLB i think they are set there. They also signed Reggie Torbor for depth and already have Channing crowder and Jason Taylor. They also get their NT in Ferguson and a possible NT or End in Starks. McCown could compete with Beck for the starting QB, but they still could go Ryan. With the release of their 2 starting tackles I think this means their pick will be Jake Long unless they can make a trade where the team they trade with will most likely will taken McFadden leaving us with Chris Long.

What say ye?
    -02-29-2008, 04:19 PM
Working...
X