Arians, Cardinals likely to part ways after season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arians, Cardinals likely to part ways after season

Way We Hear It: Bruce Arians and Arizona Cardinals will agree to part ways after season
    Arians departure increases likelihood of Larry Fitzgerald retiring
    FOLLOW @HUB_ARKUSHBy HUB ARKUSH
    Published: Dec. 26, 2017 — 8:01 a.m.
    Updated: Dec. 26, 2017 — 8:02 a.m.

Bruce Arians, a two-time NFL Coach of the Year who is just less than two seasons removed from taking the Arizona Cardinals to the NFC title game, will agree to part ways with the Cardinals next week, multiple sources tell Pro Football Weekly.

Arians is 48-30-1 in five seasons guiding the club and was 10-6, 11-5 and 13-3 in his first three seasons, from 2013-2015. But he faded to 7-8-1 in an injury plagued 2016 season and struggled to get to 7-8 this season with five of those seven victories coming against Indianapolis, San Francisco (2), Tampa Bay, and the New York Giants.

Arians is a prostate cancer survivor who has battled various other health issues in recent seasons, and the prospect of a possible rebuild for the Cardinals with no apparent answers at quarterback on the horizon is apparently enough for Arians to decide to call it quits, or at least take a hiatus from coaching.

Our sources are saying it will be an amicable split and that Arians is not being fired, but that Cardinals owner Michael Bidwill and general manager Steve Keim support Arians' decision and aren't overly upset they will be able to start fresh with a new coach as they reshape their roster.

Keim was promoted to Arizona G.M. in 2013 after spending almost a decade-and-a-half in the Cards front office, and Arians was the first and only head coach he has hired. Their three-year run together from 2013-15 was the strongest period of sustained success the Cardinals have enjoyed since moving to Arizona — though they were unable to match the club's one Super Bowl run in 2008 following a 9-7 regular season under Ken Whisenhunt.

A key piece of their success was the arrival of quarterback Carson Palmer as an unrestricted free agent in 2013. But Palmer broke his arm in Week 7 and has been on injured reserve ever since. He turned 38 on Tuesday, and it is uncertain whether or not Palmer will return or retire and how much he has left in the tank if he does try and play again.

Following a 34-7 loss to the Eagles in Week 5, Keim expressed his frustration with his team's play in a regular weekly radio interview, saying the Cardinals hadn't played as poorly since getting destroyed by the Panthers in the '15 NFC title game.

While Keim hasn't openly expressed any concerns with the job Arians has done this year, and our sources tell us behind the scenes and off the record the working relationship between the two is still solid, there is no sugar-coating that there is disappointment for both ownership and management with the team's 7-8 record and struggles with quality teams.

The loss of their best offensive weapon, David Johnson, following the opening week of the season and subsequent season-ending injuries to a decimated offensive line that has seen both tackles D.J. Humphries and Jared Veldheer and guard Mike Iupati land on I.R., as well as outside linebacker Markus Golden and safety Tyvon Branch, have been particularly frustrating and reportedly made the season that much tougher on Arians.

The loss of four starters on defense to free agency — Calais Campbell, Tony Jefferson, Kevin Minter and Alex Okafor — and key reserves —Marcus Cooper and D.J. Swearinger — prior to the beginning of the season also made the job that much more taxing on the coaching staff this season.

Adding to the intrigue of Arians' possible departure is that the same sources telling us he will be leaving are reporting that even though future Hall of Fame receiver Larry Fitzgerald signed a contract extension earlier this year, he has remained undecided as to whether to play another season, and the departure of Arians would significantly increase the odds that Fitzgerald would hang 'em up as well.

In a best-case scenario with Arians and Fitzgerald back and a healthy Palmer attempting to give it one more go along with a healthy Johnson, the Cardinals could make one more run at a title with the current roster.

But if our sources are right and Arians has already decided to move on, with Fitzgerald likely to follow, let the rebuilding in Arizona begin.

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
    Az Republic writer Somers thinks Bulger is early favorite to be the Cardinals QB
    Nick
    Arizona Cardinals: Who will be the starting quarterback?
    by Kent Somers - Jan. 20, 2011 04:30 PM
    The Arizona Republic

This off-season, the Cardinals will look for a starting quarterback in all the usual places: the draft, free agency, the trade market, between couch cushions.

Much depends upon the outcome of labor negotiations. Until a new collective bargaining agreement is reached, players can't be traded and free agents can't be signed. And the draft is three months away.

But it's never too early to speculate, or to provide free advice to the Cardinals, who went through four quarterbacks in 2010 while trying to find a suitable replacement for Kurt Warner.

Strictly for entertainment purposes, the Heat Index has come up with some early odds on who will be the team's starter in 2011.

2 to 1

Marc Bulger, free agent: The former Rams starter was the backup in Baltimore last season. The Cardinals showed interest when Bulger was on the market last spring, but already had Derek Anderson under contract. Bulger turns 34 in April and hasn't had a good season since 2006. But he's smart, hasn't been hit in more than a year, and could provide a nice bridge to the future, whoever that might be.

8 to 1

Kyle Orton, Broncos: He has another year left on his contract, but the Broncos reportedly would let him go for a second-round pick. That should be too steep for the Cardinals, who have the sixth selection in the second round, but maybe that is just the asking price. Orton is smart, has a decent arm and can throw deep. At 28, Orton could give the Cardinals a couple of years to address other needs.

15 to 1

Kevin Kolb, Eagles: Like other teams, the Cardinals like Kolb's skills and commitment to the game. But the Eagles won't give him away. Starter Michael Vick is a free agent and prone to injuries. Kolb will cost the Eagles just $1.4 million in 2011. There has been speculation that the Eagles would want first- and third-round picks in return for Kolb . If that's the price, the Cardinals likely would pass.

35-1

John Skelton, Cardinals: He showed promise as a rookie last season, starting the final four games of the season. But it was also obvious why he didn't play earlier. Skelton could use another year or two of seasoning before being expected to contend for the starting job. But if the Cardinals sign, say, a lower-rung free agent and don't draft a quarterback, Skelton could win the job.

70-1

Auburn's Cam Newton, Arkansas' Ryan Mallett, Missouri's Blaine Gabbert: They appear to be the top rated quarterbacks in the draft, and with the fifth overall pick, the Cardinals should have a shot at any of them. The guess here, however, is that the Cardinals go a different direction in the first round (pass rusher), meaning these three quarterbacks end up elsewhere.

80-1...
    -01-21-2011, 08:40 AM
  • Nick
    Arizona looks like (gulp) playoff contender
    Nick
    Arizona looks like (gulp) playoff contender
    By Scott Bordow, Tribune Columnist

EAST VALLEY TRIBUNE (Mesa, Ariz.) Where's the key? Oh, there it is. Top row, right-hand corner.
    I've used the letter P before when writing about the Cardinals. But usually I have to buy a vowel after hitting it.
    Pathetic. Putrid. Pitiful.

Playoffs?

Yeah, way back in 1998, when Jake Plummer was still the darling of Arizona sports fans.

Since then, however, I've avoided the wishful thinking that comes with a Cardinals victory.

If they can win next week they'll be right back in it. Look at their schedule.
    They can win those games.

Then, of course, Arizona loses that winnable game, and the elevator lands with a thud. Or, to put it in football vernacular, the Cardinals 49er it. So, with full awareness of how fragile the limb is that I'm climbing on, I hereby proclaim that the Cardinals are — oh, goodness, am I really saying it? — playoff contenders.

Someone get me a drink to calm my nerves.

Yes, it sounds crazy. Arizona is 4-5 after its 17-14 victory over the New York Giants on Sunday. That's not playoff material. That's a Las Vegas lounge act.

But in the low tide pool that's the NFC, the Cardinals can spread their wings and take flight to parts unknown.

Arizona is one game out of the final wild card spot. More amazingly, it's just one game out of the lead in the NFC Worst, er, West.

If the Cardinals can beat 2-7 Carolina this Sunday, they'll be a .500 team and . . .

Hey, Bordow, didn't you read what you wrote a few paragraphs up? Quit dreaming. These are the Cardinals.

Yeah, I know that.

But at some point, we have to acknowledge coach Dennis Green is onto something.

The Cardinals have gone 4-2 since starting the season 0-3.

They're 3-1 at Sun Devil Stadium and have won three straight at home for the first time since 1999.

Of their final seven opponents, only three — the New York Jets, St. Louis and Seattle — have winning records.

It's enough to make an overgrown man get too big for his britches.

“Winning two straight games is nothing to get excited about,” said nose tackle Russell Davis. “We'll look back on that after our playoff game and say that's
    where the streak got started.”

OK, this may be a good time for a few rational thoughts:

- The Cardinals are 4-5, not 6-3. Who isn't 4-5 in the NFL?

- Had Arizona not successfully navigated the game-winning, fourth-quarter drive in Miami last week, we'd already have written its obituary.

- The Cardinals were 4-2 in 2002 and 6-6 in 1999. They finished 5-11 and 6-10, respectively.

“Man, anything can happen,” said tackle...
    -11-16-2004, 08:38 AM
  • DJRamFan
    [Cardinals] Cards feeling defeated
    DJRamFan
    4-9 record takes its toll on Green

Tim Tyers
    The Arizona Republic
    Dec. 14, 2004 12:00 AM

The demeanor of Cardinals coach Dennis Green on Monday was that of a man ready to cut loose with a refrain from an old country song: "You ripped my heart out and stomped that sucker flat."

The man who predicted a winning season and possible playoff berth upon his arrival had nothing good to say about his four-win team, or the way the season has transpired during his first season with the Cardinals.

San Francisco, with only two wins, is considered the worst team in pro football. But both of its wins have come against the Cardinals, including Sunday's 31-28 win in overtime, so where does that leave the Cardinals? advertisement

Emmitt Smith, the NFL's career rushing leader, said after Sunday's loss that the team is making elementary mistakes and insinuated that some of the problem is coaching.

"You know," Green said, "everybody has their own opinion. I will reserve mine."

To his credit, Green didn't dodge the issue when asked if he was worried about losing the attention of his team.

"Absolutely," he said. "You worry about losing everybody. I don't think (owner) Mr. Bill Bidwill is very happy right now. I don't think he counted on hiring a new coach and having the new coach be 4-9. It's everybody. I don't think the fans counted on being 4-9. I know I didn't count on being 4-9 . . .

"There is a chance to lose everybody when you get into a situation where you are not winning . . . "

Green took on a huge task when he came to Arizona in January to rebuild the franchise. Yet, Sunday's loss guaranteed the Cardinals their 15th losing season in the past 17 years. The question now is, how much progress has been made?

"I would hope to say a lot of things are better, but you know . . . sometimes we are in a bottom line business. In fact, most of the time we are.

"We only had 35,000 people there (Sunday). That's not a very big crowd, not a lot of people for the fifth-largest city in America. That's not a lot of people who want to come and watch you play in your stadium."

In Sunday's game there were five major errors on special teams, the offense didn't report for duty until the second half and Arizona's gambling defense was once again porous against the run. Nondescript Maurice Hicks, an undrafted free agent, not only became the eighth rusher to top 100 yards against Arizona, but his 139 yards came within 5 yards of matching his season total entering the game.

Green said the Cardinals are not physical enough at the point of attack against the run. They've tried to offset that with blitzes, but sometimes the formation takes away the blitz and the lack of physicality...
    -12-14-2004, 11:30 AM
  • Nick
    Cardinals GM Steve Keim cited for DUI on July 4
    Nick
    Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim cited for DUI on July 4
    BY KTAR.COM | JULY 7, 2018 AT 6:59 AM
    UPDATED: JULY 7, 2018 AT 12:14 PM

PHOENIX — Arizona Cardinals general manager Steve Keim was cited for a DUI on July 4. He was released that same night after being processed.

Chandler police confirmed to KTAR News 92.3 it happened during a traffic stop near Dobson and Ocotillo roads.

The team and Keim released statements Saturday morning.

“We are aware of the incident on Wednesday involving Steve Keim. He fully recognizes the seriousness of the situation and that this type of behavior is unacceptable and inexcusable,” the statement said.

“Steve immediately alerted the team who in turn reported it to the NFL as required under the league’s Personal Conduct Policy. We are continuing to gather information and will handle the matter appropriately and in accordance with all league policies as well as within the legal system.”

Keim’s statement, who was promoted to Cardinals general manager in 2013 after spending time in the team’s front office, is below.

“I truly regret my incredibly poor judgment and inexcusable actions. Everyone associated with the NFL and its teams is held to a high standard of behavior and I obviously failed to meet that. I sincerely apologize to our organization and its fans as well as to my family. I accept full responsibility for my actions and hold myself completely accountable. Moving forward, I will take the steps to ensure that I never put myself or the Cardinals in this type of situation again.”

Keim has been with the organization since 1999. In February, he signed a four-year contract extension through the 2022 season.

Two years ago, former Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd was suspended four games because of an arrest for a DUI in Scottsdale.
    -07-08-2018, 07:24 AM
  • Bruce=GOAT
    Arizona Cardinals lose player
    Bruce=GOAT
    Cardinals lose tackle Oliver Ross to knee injury
    Cardinals lose tackle Oliver Ross to knee injury

August 2, 2006

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (AP) -- Arizona Cardinals right tackle Oliver Ross will miss at least three weeks, and possibly as many as 10, because of a right knee injury.

Coach Dennis Green said Ross may have torn his meniscus. The club was awaiting test results.

"We'll just have to see what's going to take place," Green said. "They can get a little more examination of the information and make a decision on him."

Ross, an eight-year veteran, said he hurt his knee during a blocking drill Wednesday morning during practice at Northern Arizona University. "My foot slipped, and then I felt something," he said. "I was just like, 'Football.' I kind of tried to work through it. It started getting tighter and tighter as practice went on."

Ross, who signed a five-year free agent contract last year, missed four games a year ago because of a broken hand.

Green said Fred Wakefield could replace Ross in the lineup.
    -08-02-2006, 05:20 PM
Working...
X