Foles wants great Wentz career, even at his expense

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foles wants great Wentz career, even at his expense

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...at-his-expense Foles wants great Wentz career, even at his expense

By Chris Wesseling
    4-5 minutes

After propelling Philadelphia to the first Super Bowl title in franchise history, Nick Foles was offered a prime opportunity to lead his own team in another city. The Eagles, likewise, could have parlayed their backup quarterback's playoff heroics into valuable draft capital as they attempt to build a dynasty around Carson Wentz.
    So why is Foles still sporting the visor and clipboard as the NFL's most overqualified backup?
    The short answer is because all parties involved are happy, satisfied and hungry for a chance to enjoy similar experiences and achievements that might just bring about an even greater level of fulfillment in 2018.
    In an enlightening interview with FOX Sports' First Things First on Wednesday, Foles explained the "great dynamic" that has made the Eagles' quarterback room the envy of the league.
    "Carson's a tremendous player. He's going to be a great player in this league a long time," Foles said. "Just having those open discussions in the locker room, starting with your friendship first and then [as] teammates genuinely caring for one another, that means when he's out there he knows I'm not out there vying for him to get hurt or something.
    "I want him to succeed, I want him to stay healthy the entire season, I want him to have a great career ... even at the expense of me not playing. But that's where I've got to put my ego aside and say, Hey, this what's best for the team. I can still be a leader in the locker room but just in my lane."
    It's an admirable attitude, one that will serve him well as Wentz's caddy throughout the upcoming season. But Foles realizes the current honeymoon climate comes with an expiration date.
    "I would love to play in Philly the rest of my career. I love the city," Foles acknowledged. "But I know that's not the situation. I want Carson to have an amazing career there, be a legend there. I'm just excited about this season and we'll see what happens after that."
    Yet to turn 30 years old, Foles reiterated his stance that he would "love the opportunity" to lead his own team. It's just that he's understandably leery of leaving football nirvana for a potentially "toxic environment."
    "I'm not just going to go to a team and say, Hey, I want to lead this team and not see who they are. It's about an environment. It's about going to work every day and enjoying where you work, the workplace, having that relationship. Because it doesn't matter what the hours are in a situation like that. You're going to love what you do if you love the people you work with. If it's not a great environment, I don't care if it's a short day and an easy day, you're not going to enjoy it.
    "So if that does come to me, I want to find the right pick, be with the right team, a team like the Philadelphia Eagles organization. They do it the right way. It's an amazing locker room with amazing leaders and coaches. And I've been blessed to be a part of it. That's why I'm not running away. They had me under contract this year. Everyone wanted to know where I was going to be. I'm grateful to be a part of it. They restructured my deal, they wanted me there. I wanted to be there this year. We'll see what happens after this season, but I'm excited about this 2018 Eagles season. I get to wear that jersey at least one more year, and I'm super excited about wearing it one more year."
    Happiness is contagious.
    After flaming out with Jeff Fisher's wayward Rams, Foles was so disillusioned with his career that he contemplated early retirement in the offseason of 2016. Over the past calendar year, he's gone from afterthought journeyman to Super Bowl MVP on a widely respected team that has left a spectrum of joy in its wake.
    Along the way, Foles has grown into an eloquent, self-aware leader radiating peace of mind. How can he put a price on that bliss when so many of his peers are lost in the difficulty of betterment?
    I printed this Nick Foles quote because it is just so excellent: pic.twitter.com/3Tmu9PCwOM
    Sam Farmer (@LATimesfarmer) February 6, 2018

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
    Foles Feeling At Home With Rams
    r8rh8rmike
    Foles Feeling at Home with Rams

Posted Jun 24, 2015
    Myles Simmons Rams Insider@MylesASimmons

Though he’s been a member of the Rams for only a short time, quarterback Nick Foles has already made enough of a positive impact to trigger talk of a contract extension.

“We’ve had some discussions,” head coach Jeff Fisher said last week. “I think what Nick has done early in his career -- he’s proven he can get the job done on the field.

“He’s carried things on here and so we’re going to continue to talk and see if we can get something that’s good for both sides,” Fisher added.

While there are no guarantees a deal will be worked out, all indications are that Foles has been a great fit for St. Louis. That’s come not only from Fisher, but also offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti, players like Jared Cook, and the quarterback himself.

“I felt like this was home from when I got here, and got to meet the guys, and talk to the coaches,” Foles said at OTAs last week. “That’s nothing against Philly. I had a great time in Philly and I built strong relationships. But, just how the team was when they brought me in here and how they treated me, and how my teammates have helped me grow, and the relationships that I’ve built -- I want to be here.”

Foles has talked plenty about being comfortable with the team, but last week he also said that he’s feeling the same way about playing in Cignetti’s offense. Given that the Rams have completed only the offseason program, Foles said he knows more to install will come in training camp and the regular season.

“There’s always going to be new things you’re going to learn,” Foles said. “Each play based on front and coverage -- it can change. So it’s just continuing to learn and continuing to grow to where it’s just second nature -- where I feel extremely comfortable just seeing everything. But it’s getting there.”

With Foles coming from the Eagles, one criticism has been levied that perhaps the quarterback’s stellar 2013 season -- in which he threw 27 touchdowns and only two interceptions -- was a product of the offensive system. But that’s not an issue Foles has given any attention.

“People are going to say what they’re going to say. They always have throughout my entire career,” Foles said. “Each and every player deals with it. The way I do is [say], I’m just going to play. I know who I am. I know what kind of player I am and my job is to help my team win games.”

And winning is exactly what the quarterback helped the Eagles do, as he held a 14-4 QB record over the past two seasons with the club. As general manager Les Snead said at the time of the March trade, the signal-caller’s victories in a tough division was one of the factors that made him an attractive addition. Foles said last week that success sometimes gets lost when critics find fault solely based...
    -06-26-2015, 04:29 PM
  • MauiRam
    Foles already vocal leader for Rams ..
    MauiRam
    By Jim Thomas

Before he wins any football games, Nick Foles must first win over the locker room. Less than three months after the surprise trade that brought him here from Philadelphia, that process is well underway at Rams Park.

“He’s very boisterous, very up-tempo,” offensive guard Rodger Saffold said. “Seems to be really excited about every day, about every opportunity. Which is really good.

“He really likes to lift guys. So you see him a lot in the locker room. You hear him a lot on the field. Those are good things to get from your quarterback. He’s very inspiring. That’s a good thing for us, especially with so many young guys. They need that.”

At first blush, it’s a different personality than predecessor Sam Bradford. Bradford began his pro career respectful of running back Steven Jackson’s status as the undisputed team leader. But Bradford was more low-key, and even after Jackson left the coaching staff encouraged him to exert more of a leadership role.

Apparently, Foles needs no nudging in that direction.

“That chemistry’s been great from Day 1, since he’s been in here,” wide receiver Kenny Britt said of Foles. “He’s been one of the guys that goes in the locker room and pumps people up. If you’re down, he’s the first one (to say): ‘Hey c’mon. We’ve gotta go right now.’ To tell you the truth, it’s kind of exciting to see him in there.”

Foles is smart enough to realize that’s a key part of his job in St. Louis, as important as learning the playbook or making throws on the field.

“Absolutely,” Foles said. “The way we’re going to be successful on Sunday is the relationships. Come the fourth quarter, we have to know each other. We have to care about each other. That’s where you stick together through adversity.

“So just getting to know the guys in the workouts, in the film room, in the training room — whatever we do — is a key part of it.”

Britt hopes the “whatever we do” element of Foles’ relationship-building effort expands to include taking the wide receivers out to dinner.

“I asked him: ‘Hey bro, we’ve got to get something going right now. We’ll go to Five Guys. It doesn’t matter to me,’” Britt said, laughing.

After three seasons and one Pro Bowl in Philadelphia, Foles was as surprised as anyone by the March 10 trade that sent him to St. Louis and Bradford to Philly. Shocked might be a better word.

“Yeah, I did not expect a trade, and that’s the truth,” Foles said. “But that was the realization. Once I started talking to Coach (Jeff) Fisher I was excited to get to know him because that’s where my life was taking me. I enjoyed my time in Philadelphia. I was there for three years, I built a lot of relationships.”

But now it’s time to build new relationships and embrace a new opportunity to be a starter.

“Nick’s been great,...
    -06-07-2015, 12:24 AM
  • r8rh8rmike
    MMQB Interview With Nick Foles
    r8rh8rmike
    Talking Football

By Jenny Vrentas
    Fri Mar. 20, 2015

Blindsided by a trade to St. Louis, the former Eagles quarterback is already embracing his new team, his new coach and a new offensive system. Does he have what it takes to be a franchise QB without Chip Kelly’s innovation?

With one phone call last week, Nick Foles’s job title changed from Eagles quarterback to Rams quarterback. The trade that sent Foles to St. Louis for Sam Bradford (plus an exchange of draft picks) was part of a series of bold moves in Philadelphia and throughout the league that gave the NFL its own brand of March Madness. The transaction has been officially processed, but Foles is just beginning to process a new city, a new team and a new offense.

VRENTAS: When did you have an inkling that you wouldn’t be in Philadelphia next season?

FOLES: The second I got a phone call, and Chip Kelly told me I was traded. That was the first time.

VRENTAS: What was the 24-hour period like when you found out you were headed to St Louis?

FOLES: Shortly after I hung up that phone call, coach [Jeff] Fisher called me and had [Rams GM] Les [Snead] on the line, and [offensive coordinator Frank] Cignetti, and we all talked. They said they were excited to have me. The biggest thing you deal with in that time period is a lot of emotions. On one end, you’re cutting ties with the team you have been a part of since you were a rookie—and that’s all you knew, and your plan was to be back there. On the other end, there’s a great opportunity with a new team that wants you, a team that really wanted to get you. You deal with those emotions in the first 24 hours.

VRENTAS: Entering the offseason, did you think a trade was even a possibility?

FOLES: Anything is possible in the NFL, but in my mind, I wasn’t even thinking about it. In my mind, I was going to be in Philadelphia, and be the quarterback, and be leading the guys I have been leading for several years, because that’s how I think.

VRENTAS: Why do you believe you can be the Rams’ franchise QB?

FOLES: Because I believe in myself. And not only that, I know how to play this game. I’m not going to sit here and say, statistically or whatever, but I know I can be that quarterback. But it comes with the [expectation of], I’ve got to show it. I need to show it; I need to go out on the field, and we need to win games. That starts with training in the offseason, doing the right things, and developing those relationships. It’s not just something that happens. It happens over time, and you build it, and I want to be a part of that.

VRENTAS: What was the second half of last season like for you, after breaking your collarbone and having to watch from the sideline?

FOLES: It was emotional. When I got injured, we were winning some tough football games. We were...
    -03-24-2015, 10:52 AM
  • MauiRam
    Nick Foles Will Disappoint? Think Again.
    MauiRam
    July 03, 2015

By Patrick Stewart

This past week Marc Sessler, a writer for NFL.com, put out a list of six players that he predicts will disappoint in 2015.

At the #1 spot on this list sits our new starting QB, Nick Foles. This is Sessler’s explanation for putting Foles in the top spot:

I'm tempted to put Sam Bradford on this list, but I agree with Chris Wesseling: He's a better fit for Comeback Player of the Year in Chip Kelly's offense. Foles is here because of what we haven't seen in St. Louis under Jeff Fisher: A competent offense. The Rams will run the ball plenty with Todd Gurley and Tre Mason, but Foles will be asked to make his share of plays through the air to one of the league's most uninspiring group of wideouts. He was a statistical revelation two years ago, but Foles no longer operates inside a quarterback-proof offense.

Let’s get one thing straight right off the bat. Any writer picking Sam Bradford for Comeback Player of the Year must have had their head in the sand for the last few seasons. As Rams fans, we have gotten hyped up about Bradford in the preseason only to see our hopes get obliterated along with his knees. It’s really funny to me that now that he plays for a big-market East Coast team that now he is getting all of this love from the national writers. We know better, don’t we Rams Nation?

Back to Foles. For the Rams to have success this season they need only a few things from the QB position. Good health would be #1. Outside of his broken collarbone last season, which shouldn’t be a nagging injury, Foles has stayed healthy throughout his college and pro career.

Another attribute needed from the quarterback position is leadership. While his teammates would publicly say that Sam Bradford was a great leader, did you ever get the feeling on game days that he could rally the team? To me, one of the highlights of the Austin Davis experience last year was watching him pump up his teammates after big plays. Bradford’s leadership style was more along the lines of our beloved owner (silence). Injuries played a role here too. With Sam being hurt so often, it was really hard for him to lead from the sidelines.

Foles seems to have leadership in bunches. Jared Cook, Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey, and many others have already been on record with powerful comments about his leadership. Check out this quote from Cook in a recent NFL.com article on what Foles has done in practice:

"I'm so glad he's here. I love that he's here," Cook said Friday, via the team's official website. "I love what he brings to us, and I love the fact that he's just an up tempo, positive guy."

Finally, with the Rams seeming like they will be ultra run-heavy this season, Foles must be able to run play-action and be accurate with the deep ball. His fantastic 2013 season shows that he has potential in...
    -07-04-2015, 02:22 AM
  • MauiRam
    Jaworski would take Foles over Wilson and it’s “not even close”
    MauiRam
    Posted by Mike Florio on July 26, 2014

At a time when the jury seems to be out on whether Eagles quarterback Nick Foles will perform at the same level he did in 2013, a former Eagles quarterback is ready to entering a verdict, beyond a reasonable doubt.

Recently appearing on 97.5 The Fanatic in Philadelphia, Jaworski was asked whether he’d want Foles or Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson, who like Foles entered the NFL via round three of the 2012 draft.

“I’m taking Foles,” Jaworski said. “Not even close. Russell Wilson is just . . . because of that system he is in. Russell Wilson plays with that defense, the best in football. He just managed the game very well. I think Russell Wilson has played terrific, a great maturity, but I’m going to take Nick Foles.”

While Jaworski is entitled to his opinions (and ESPN is entitled to milk three days or programming out of each of them), this one seems a little kooky.

As to Foles, it’s possible his success can be attributed in part to working with Andy Reid ad a rookie and Chip Kelly in 2013. Also, since Mike Vick was the starter entering the 2013 season, defenses didn’t have tape on Foles, giving him an advantage during his truncated first tour through an NFL schedule.

As to Wilson, he’s hardly a game manager. By all accounts, he’s a dynamic and driven young leader who has done a lot more for the Seahawks than hand off the ball and throw safe, first-read passes. Wilson threw for more yards in 2013 than Colin Kaepernick, who helped ESPN create several days of news churn last year when Jaws declared Kaepernick could become one of the best to ever play the position. Also, Wilson’s passer rating exceeded 100. (Kaepernick’s didn’t.)

More importantly, Wilson wins. Yes, it’s a cliché and it’s not very insightful and it draws a fine from producer Matt Casey if it’s uttered on NBCSN’s Pro Football Talk when we return from hiatus on Monday. But the game is about winning, and Wilson has shown from the outset of his career that he can and does.

Wilson also has shown that he can continue to perform at a high level even after opposing defenses have had seven months to break down everything he did in his first season of action. Foles will have to do the same thing in 2014 before there’s even a fair debate as to whether he’s in the same conversation as Russell Wilson.

Thoughts?? Fire away ...
    -06-25-2015, 11:16 PM
Working...
X