Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the Cardinals benching Sam Bradford already?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the Cardinals benching Sam Bradford already?

Cardinals can save money in roster bonuses by benching Sam Bradford
    9:44 AM ET
    Adam Schefter
    ESPN Senior Writer

The Arizona Cardinals continue to stand by quarterback Sam Bradford even though they have scored only six points in eight quarters.

But if the Cardinals needed any added motivation to turn to rookie first-round pick Josh Rosen, they will have some financially.

The Cardinals are the worst offense in the NFL through two weeks and Sunday will be the first test for a scaled down playbook.

If the Cardinals bench Bradford after this week or even decide to release him from the roster and go with Mike Glennon as the backup, they would save over $4 million in unpaid per-game roster bonuses, per a review of Bradford's contract.

That number would decrease with each week that Arizona waited to make that move, but there are some around the league who believe the Cardinals already are thinking about making a quarterback change.

Rosen took some reps with the first-team offense in practice, and those around him believe he is making progress and it is only a matter of time before he plays this season -- as it was for fellow rookie quarterbacks Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold and Josh Allen.

But there also is a cost to Arizona for each week it waits. For each game Bradford is active this season, including Sunday's home game against the Chicago Bears, he receives a $312,500 bonus. So if Bradford and the offense don't start producing more, the Cardinals could opt to turn to Rosen -- and save millions of dollars doing it.

Bradford, 30, has passed for a total of just 243 yards and thrown two interceptions in his first two games with the winless Cardinals.

Started hot against the Bears but has thrown 2 ints since then and the Cards have made the switch to Rosen.

Comment

With the way Sam refused to renegotiate with the RAMS so they could improve the team around him, and the way he has reacted to competition with each team he has been to since, I don't feel sorry for him at all. Let the Cards cut him. Although, if they wait until after he gets a beating from our DL, then that would be icing on the cake.

gap

Comment

Originally posted by gap View Post
        With the way Sam refused to renegotiate with the RAMS so they could improve the team around him, and the way he has reacted to competition with each team he has been to since, I don't feel sorry for him at all. Let the Cards cut him. Although, if they wait until after he gets a beating from our DL, then that would be icing on the cake.

gap
        I can't feel sorry for anyone who has made as much money as Bradford has underperforming for desperate teams. I expect the Cards to cut him. Apparently they'll save around 4 mil if they do because he has a bonus paid out for every game he's on the roster.

Comment

The Cardinals will actually be more competitive with Rosen. I've always liked Rosen as a QB. He has a strong arm and is extremely accurate. In his limited time last night, he showcased some good throws. The Cards o-line did him no favors.

Comment

Originally posted by gap View Post

gap
            Yeah....over 100M in earnings with nothing to really show for it. I think he is fine.......

Comment

Originally posted by macrammer View Post

Yeah....over 100M in earnings with nothing to really show for it. I think he is fine.......
              I think one of the talking heads said that he's gotten 138M guaranteed over the life of his career which is about 1.3 M per TD pass. All the credit goes to his agent for securing guaranteed money for a check-down passer. Unbelievable. The first 50M was rookie money, but the rest ??? Un-friggin-believable !! If I was player I'd be lining his agent up immediately.

Comment

They've apparently made him the third sting QB, which typically is inactive on game days. That saves them $312,500 in the form of a roster bonus each week.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• AvengerRam_old
                  170-18-41-14-151-1-1
                  AvengerRam_old
                  You may have noticed, I've been a bit quiet since Sunday. I've been pretty much in "I don't want to talk about it" mode.

This team has a lot of problems. The WRs are inadequate. The OL is under-performing. The offense clearly has not acclimated to McDaniels' system (which we know CAN work well in this league). The run defense has been disappointing, to say the least.

So why is my title a series of numbers? Those numbers are my response to anyone who has Sam Bradford on the list of weak points of this Rams team.

170 - The number of times Bradford has gone back to pass.
                  18 - The number of times Bradford has been sacked.
                  41 -The number of times Bradford has been hit after throwing the ball.
                  14 - The number of passes dropped by Rams' receivers.
                  151 - The number of pass attempts Bradford has recorded this year.
                  1 - The number of interceptions thrown by Bradford.
                  1 - Bradford's league rank in interception percentage.

That's right. Despite being clobbered on a regular basis and having enough passes dropped to lower his completion percentage from 58.9 to 49.7, Bradford has thown fewer interceptions per pass attempt than any QB in the NFL.

If you still think Sam Bradford is the problem, well... I can't do nothin' for you, son.
                  -10-05-2011, 07:53 AM
                • r8rh8rmike
                  Bradford Shows His Warrior Spirit
                  r8rh8rmike
                  Despite having a bad day, Sam Bradford never gave up and ultimately made an absolutely incredible play to run down safety Roman Harper after almost 80 yards and force him out of bounds on a fumble return that was subsequently reversed. What QB does that!?? Sam Bradford, that's who. Special in so many ways.
                  -12-12-2010, 04:38 PM
                • Nick
                  Cardinals moving towards a 3-4 defense?
                  Nick
                  Whisenhunt: Defense will have look of 3-4 alignment
                  Darren Urban, Tribune
                  April 11, 2007

After saying recently the Cardinals will remain in a 4-3 defensive alignment, coach Ken Whisenhunt acknowledged Wednesday his defense will have many elements of a 3-4 look -- including using former Pro Bowl defensive end Bertrand Berry at linebacker, using outside linebacker Karlos Dansby inside and putting one-time defensive tackle Darnell Dockett at end.

"The defense is going to be a little bit different scheme-wise from what they were doing," Whisenhunt said. "Certainly there were things I was comfortable with in Pittsburgh that I want to incorporate and (defensive coordinator) Clancy (Pendergast) has been good at that, and the process of blending those things in with what he likes will be like a merger."

The Cardinals will hold their first minicamp this weekend, beginning Friday.

Whisenhunt said it was hard to categorize positions at this point because of the many different packages the Cards will use. But he said both Berry and fellow end Chike Okeafor will be "quasi-end/linebackers" who may rush from a three-point stance one play and stand up on another.

Calvin Pace will take a similar role, while Dansby will play inside with middle linebacker Gerald Hayes.

Whisenhunt also said the work will be "experimental." The minicamp this weekend will not be as intense as the one held two weeks after the draft with the filled-out roster.

Guard Milford Brown, who is getting married this weekend, is the only player Whisenhunt isn't expecting to be here. Whisenhunt said running back Edgerrin James, who had minor knee surgery to drain fluid on his knee after the season, could be limited in his work. Quarterback Matt Leinart, who had to rehab after hurting his shoulder in the next-to-last game of 2006, should be OK to participate but the Cardinals will monitor his progress.
                  -04-11-2007, 08:36 PM
                • Nick
                  Arizona Cardinals playing in Pink Taco Stadium?
                  Nick
                  Pink Taco's owners make bid to name Cards stadium
                  Louie Villalobos
                  The Arizona Republic
                  Aug. 21, 2006 02:55 PM

First, they shook up the Scottsdale establishment. Now the family behind the Pink Taco restaurant chain is rattling the Arizona Cardinals' cage.

Would you believe Pink Taco Stadium? That's what the Morton family, famous for creating the Hard Rock Café and Morton's Steakhouse, is saying they want to name Cardinals Stadium.

They are offering $30 million for 10 years as evidence of their commitment and are promising to pursue an agreement with the Arizona Cardinals.

One problem. The Cardinals, who control the stadium's naming rights, said they want no part of that name.

Harry Morton, president and CEO of Pink Taco, said his group is prepared to use the $30 million as a starting point. He held a press conference Monday to announce the stadium proposal.

The family said it offered the Cardinals a $5 million good faith check during a meeting last week to show that they are serious about the proposal.

The Cardinals took the presentation as a joke and dismissed the Monday press conference by the family as a publicity stunt.

"There is zero chance of this happening," said Mark Dalton, director of media relations for the Cardinals. "We are in serious and legitimate naming rights discussion with several companies, this is not one of them."

Locally, the restaurant, named after a slang term for the vulva, caused a stir in Scottsdale when Mayor Mary Manross objected to the restaurant's opening in Scottsdale's Waterfront project.

Dalton said the team doesn't wanted to be associated with the Pink Taco brand, but wouldn't say exactly why.

Morton said on Monday that his family is very serious about the naming deal. He plans to meet with the Arizona Cardinals in the coming days. The Cardinals said there is no scheduled meeting.

The family dismissed the team's reaction as a "knee jerk" one and stated the proposal was not an attempt to get more publicity for the restaurant.

"We're talking about $30 million," he said. "That's an expensive publicity stunt."

A Pink Taco restaurant will be opened in Los Angeles early next year. The company is working on building a second restaurant in Arizona and looking at future sites in San Diego, San Francisco, Chicago and Dallas.
                  -08-26-2006, 05:07 PM
                • MauiRam
                  Strauss: Bradford has become Rams’ closer
                  MauiRam
                  Joe Strauss

To call it a teaching moment for a fourth-year quarterback would be condescending. To call it a revealing moment might be understatement.

In a game the Rams had to win within a crushing early schedule, Sam Bradford committed a potentially game-losing mistake during the third quarter of the team’s game last Sunday against Arizona. Rolling from the pocket in his end zone, Bradford hoped to lure the Cardinals’ defensive line toward him to better flick a pass to tight end Lance Kendricks.

The plan deteriorated when nose tackle Dan Williams tipped and intercepted the ball before returning it 2 yards for a lead-changing score less than five minutes into the second half.

The lightning strike eventually helped account for an 11-point deficit for the Rams with less than two minutes remaining in the period.

Had the score held, the Rams would have entered this week looking at a murderers’ row immediate schedule of the Atlanta Falcons, Dallas Cowboys and San Francisco ***** — and a potential 0-4 start.

An unsightly home loss predicated on turnovers against a team predicted to finish last in the NFC West would have badly dented the club’s credibility achieved during a promising draft and free-agent signing period.

Safe to say, Bradford wouldn’t have needed a helmet to sprout horns.

“It was a big play,” Bradford recalled in the aftermath of a 27-24 win, the Rams’ first in a season opener since 2006. “It gave them seven points. It was unfortunate. But after it happened there was nothing I could do about it except go out, play well and try to help my team come back and win.”

Instead of wilting,Bradford completed 11 of 13 passes after that interception.

He guided an 80-yard drive to make a three-point game before moving his offense 50 yards to set up Greg Zuerlein’s winning field goal with 40 seconds remaining on the clock.

The rally was not a novelty for a quarterback whose every move this season will be scrutinized, magnified and, yes, occasionally taken out of context.

This much is indisputable: All quarters aren’t created equal in the NFL.

A league built upon parity and passing increasingly lends itself to last-possession drama. Few things are more injurious than a quarterback who shies from the moment. Though he is not prone to wild gesticulation or sideline tantrums, Bradford does not run from tight situations.

Last weekend’s comeback marked the fifth time in his career Bradford has rallied the Rams to a fourth-quarter win. He brought the Rams back from deficits five times last season, resulting in a 3-1-1 outcome.

On Sunday, Bradford and the Rams face the gold standard in fourth-quarter efficiency, Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan.

Ryan was the third overall selection of the 2008 draft. The Rams made Bradford...
                  -09-15-2013, 01:32 AM
                Working...
                X