Cardinals release Sam Bradford after eight weeks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardinals release Sam Bradford after eight weeks

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000983649/article/cardinals-release-sam-bradford-after-eight-weeks

Sam Bradford
    's uninspiring time in the desert is over.

The Arizona Cardinals released the veteran quarterback on Saturday after eight weeks.

Bradford's time in the light in Arizona was brief, as he started the Cardinals' first three games before he was unceremoniously benched with less than five minutes to play in a close Week 3 game against the Chicago Bears. Rookie first-round pick Josh Rosen took over for Bradford in that contest, which ended in a loss for the Cardinals.

Since then, first-year coach Steve Wilks has hitched his wagon to Rosen to mostly unsuccessful results, which have been more a product of team-wide problems than Rosen's typical rookie struggles. The quarterback has showed promise at times while playing behind one of the worst, if not the worst offensive line in the league, completing 55.6 percent of his attempts for 1,072 yards, five touchdowns and six interceptions (passer rating: 69.9).

Meanwhile, Arizona has done its best to keep Bradford out of the public eye, leaving him inactive for multiple weeks and avoiding paying his per-game active bonuses that had the potential to reach a maximum of total of $5 million if active for all 16 contests.

When he was playing, Bradford completed 50 of 80 attempts for 400 yards, two touchdowns, four interceptions and a passer rating of 62.5.

Chris Mortensen
    @mortreport
    As we said on Sunday NFL Countdown, Sam Bradford had not practiced for previous 5 weeks in Arizona because that left knee is basically bone on bone. No cartilage on the knee that had two ACL repairs.
    That could be the end for Bradford if he's cleared waivers and has a bone on bone condition in the knee that's kept him from practicing.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post

That could be the end for Bradford if he's cleared waivers and has a bone on bone condition in the knee that's kept him from practicing.
      well, If I need a loan I guess I know who I can go to. $135 M over his career. Sad that his knee was injured against the Panthers for sure......but he was never really top notch QB IMO. I am sure we will see him in the booth somewhere........

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
        Bradford shows he won't back down
        Nick
        Bradford shows he won't back down
        BY BERNIE MIKLASZ | Posted: Monday, September 13, 2010 12:15 am

The Arizona Cardinals were determined to knock the kid back to Oklahoma. They came at him in waves, tossing Sam Bradford around so much that at times the quarterback in the No. 8 jersey looked more like a piece of laundry tumbling in the dryer.

And even though the Rams lost the season's first game, the Rams' rookie quarterback passed the first test. He shook off the pain, cleared his head and got up to throw again. The Cardinals tried their ferocious best to put Bradford away by breaking his spirit, and perhaps a couple of body parts. The Cardinals tried to disorient him with their tricks and deception.

The Cardinals were on a mission to get to Bradford's body and inside of his head and frustrate him into submission. But at the end of the game, Big Easy was firing away, not shrinking from the moment, still standing tall and prepared to fight until the clock ran out.

"Sam is not afraid to lead," Rams defensive tackle Clifton Ryan said. "He's not afraid of anything."

There were no signs of physical or mental weakness, no loss of confidence or will power. In his first real NFL game, nothing flustered Bradford. Not the speed of the game, the direct hits or the sneak attacks from blitzers. Not the missed connections with receivers, or his rookie mistakes or the taunting from Arizona's defensive players.

"I felt like I was very composed," Bradford said. "I felt like I really didn't get rattled."

Bradford didn't win Sunday's game at the Edward Jones Dome. The Cardinals came back for a 17-13 victory that wasn't crossed off until they held Bradford off late, intercepting him twice in the final minutes, the second on the obligatory jump-ball desperation pass into the end zone.

But the Cardinals walked off the field knowing that they will see the kid again this season, in a rematch at Arizona. And they will see Bradford many times during his career, and they may not be looking forward to it. Because it is only a matter of time until Bradford starts winning games like this.

"Sam Bradford is going to be a special player," said Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona's All-Pro wideout.

The rookie's right arm may need to be iced down today, after his 32 completions in 55 attempts for 253 yards. Fifty-five passes in his first NFL game? So much for the idea that Rams coaches would be reluctant to turn Bradford loose.

"Probably a little higher (total) than I would have imagined," Bradford said. "But, you know, I play quarterback. I throw the ball. That's what I like to do. I threw it a lot in college, so I'm used to it. If it's something we have to do as a team, I'm comfortable with it."

Until that final long-shot heave shot into...
        -09-13-2010, 07:29 AM
      • Rambos
        Rams' Bradford performing under pressure
        Rambos
        By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

ST. LOUIS -- For the better part of the past decade, whenever the Rams needed leadership in a close and late situation, they turned to running back Steven Jackson.

Trailing by 11 in the fourth quarter Sunday against Arizona, Jackson was nowhere to be found. After an offseason of building an offense with quarterback Sam Bradford as the centerpiece and as he enters another season as an offensive captain, all eyes were on Bradford.

Bradford doesn’t have the fiery, in-your-face personality that many often (and mistakenly) associate with leadership. He’s always been a calm, lead-by-example type who wants to lead with actions rather than words.

So when Bradford entered the huddle with his team trailing 24-13 and less than two minutes to go in the third quarter, his teammates saw exactly what they always see from Bradford. He stayed the same on the next possession and every one thereafter.

Sam Bradford rallied the St. Louis Rams to a victory in Week 1.
        “Sam is cool as a cucumber all the time, man,” left guard Chris Williams said. “That’s just Sam for you. He’s not a panic guy. It’s great.”

Starting with that drive late in the third, Bradford went on to complete six passes in a row for 76 yards and a touchdown to draw the Rams within five. On the ensuing two-point conversion, Bradford found another way to add points to the Rams’ tally, taking a snap out of the shotgun, showing pass and bursting into the end zone to trim it to three.

“Yeah, how’d you guys like that?” Bradford said, laughing. “That was pretty good, huh? I think they had no idea that I was going to run the ball on that play and I think that’s why it worked so well. But hey, we’ll take what they give us.”

Bradford’s late-game heroics weren’t limited to sneak-attack runs either. Starting from that late drive in the third quarter, Bradford went 11-of-13 for 128 yards and a touchdown for a rating of 133.3 to close out the game and the Cardinals.

For Bradford to take the next step and become the quarterback he was drafted to be and that the Rams believe he can be, he’ll need to continue to find ways to bring his team back when it falls behind.

In his first two seasons, Bradford struggled in late-game situations. In games where his team was either up or down by seven points or fewer, Bradford posted a rating of 67.6 as a rookie and 75.0 in 2011.

Although it went a bit under the radar, Bradford began to show a penchant for coming through when the Rams needed it most in 2012. With the Rams in more close games last year, Bradford got better and better with victories on the line as the season went along.

When all was said and done, Bradford posted a rating of 92.7 in the fourth quarter of games still hanging in the balance and led the Rams to game-winning drives in fourth-quarter...
        -09-09-2013, 03:30 PM
      • Nick
        Ram Bytes: The deterioration of Bradford
        Nick
        Ram Bytes: The deterioration of Bradford
        16 hours ago
        BY BERNIE MIKLASZ

Good afternoon...

No question, Sam Bradford is regressing.

Here are his passer ratings, week by week, through four games:

Arizona, 100.7

Atlanta, 87.8

Dallas, 80.2

San Francisco, 59.4

Bradford’s overall accuracy isn’t as bad as I believed; according to STATS the percentage of his incompletions that resulted from a bad throw is considerably better this season compared to 2012 and 2011.

The main issue is Bradford’s terrible accuracy when under pass-rush pressure. To varying degrees, all quarterbacks have to operate with onrushing defenders in their face. Some deal with it better than others.

According to Pro Football Focus, Bradford has been under pressure on 38.3 percent of his dropbacks this season, and that’s the 11th-highest rate among NFL starters.

The last two games have been especially brutal, with the Cowboys and ***** combining for 11 sacks, five hits and 24 hurries on the Rams’ QB.

And the numbers make it clear that Bradford is doing a poor job of getting the ball to his receivers when confronted with the pass rush.

According to Pro Football Focus:

When Bradford hasn’t been pressured this season, he’s completed 85 of 119 passes (71.4 percent) for 801 yards, seven TDs, three interceptions and a fine passer rating of 98.8.

But when Bradford is pressured, he’s completed only 22 of 63 (35 percent) for 294 yards with no TDs or INTs and a passer rating of 50.6.

Pro Football Focus rightly adjusts the accuracy rating to account for dropped passes and intentional throwaways.

In the adjusted accuracy rating under pressure, Bradford’s completion rate of 48.1 percent ranks 28th among that 30 quarterbacks that have taken at least 50 percent of the snaps.

Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer isn’t giving Bradford much if any help with his consistently dreadful play calling and appallingly bad game plans.

The offensive line has been overrun in the last two games, and Bradford has been victimized by too many dropped passes (15 in four games.)

Bradford has no running game to work with; the Rams are on pace to set a franchise record for fewest rushing yards per game in a season. And judging from what we've seen through four games, this team doesn't have a legitimate starting NFL running back. Not even close.

But the rationalizations only go so far.

Quarterbacks have to step up and make big throws even as the large and hostile invaders close in to deliver punishment.

I went to Pro Football Focus to look at the adjusted accuracy ratings of the 10 quarterbacks that have encountered a higher percentage of dropbacks under pressure than Bradford this season.

Here are...
        -09-28-2013, 06:06 AM
      • Nick
        Sando: Awaiting a breakout from Sam Bradford
        Nick
        Awaiting a breakout from Sam Bradford
        By Mike Sando

After a successful rookie campaign, Sam Bradford has been largely ineffective as the Rams struggled with the lockout and injuries.

The stat line for Robert Griffin III seemed too good for a rookie making his first NFL start: 19-of-26 passing for 320 yards with two touchdowns, no turnovers and just one sack.

It was the third time in the past 50 seasons a Washington Redskins quarterback completed at least 70 percent of his passes for at least 310 yards with at least two touchdowns and no picks. Mark Rypien and Joe Theismann each hit all those baselines once.

NFC West baselines

Kurt Warner did it three times for the Arizona Cardinals and five times for the St. Louis Rams. Marc Bulger and Jim Everett each managed one such game for the Rams.

Matt Hasselbeck (twice) and Jim Zorn (once) are the only Seattle Seahawks to post games with at least 70 percent completions, 310 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions.

Steve Young (five times), Jeff Garcia (three), Elvis Grbac (once) and John Brodie (once) have done it for the San Francisco *****. In a bit of a surprise, Joe Montana never did.

Griffin and Bradford

The most relevant comparison this week: Griffin to Rams starter Sam Bradford.

Their teams face one another Sunday at the Edward Jones Dome. The Redskins selected Griffin with a draft choice acquired from the Rams once St. Louis determined Bradford would remain its starter. Both players were very high draft choices, Bradford first overall in 2010 and Griffin second overall this year.

The scheduling rotation called for the Redskins and Rams to play one another this season regardless of the trade. That part was coincidental. Scheduling Griffin against Bradford in Week 2 gave fans something to anticipate early in the season. Bradford nearly led the Rams to an upset at Detroit last week. Griffin helped the Redskins knock off New Orleans in the Superdome.

Few great games

'08-12 Fewest Gms. 70+ QBR (min. 25 plays)
        QB Games
        Sam Bradford 2
        Chad Henne 4
        Matthew Stafford 8
        Alex Smith 10
        Carson Palmer 10

A note from ESPN Stats & Information, displayed in the first chart, revived a point I've heard recently from a source I can't recall.

The point is that Bradford has never had a truly great statistical performance in two-plus seasons with the Rams.

The chart at right shows players with the fewest games featuring a Total QBR score of at least 70 out of 100, counting only games with at least 25 action plays for the quarterback. Bradford has the fewest.

Matthew Stafford and Alex Smith are on the list, but both have made strides. Smith's QBR was at 83.5 during the *****' victory over Green Bay in Week 1. Stafford tossed three picks...
        -09-13-2012, 07:05 PM
      • r8rh8rmike
        Sam Bradford Facing High-Stakes '14
        r8rh8rmike
        Sam Bradford facing high-stakes '14

If fifth-year QB can't stay healthy and produce, Rams should seek other solutions

Published: April 21, 2014
        By Jeffri Chadiha | ESPN.com

Regardless of whether the St. Louis Rams select a quarterback in this year's draft -- and there have been recent rumblings, specifically by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, that such a move could happen -- Sam Bradford already should know what's at stake this coming season.

There's no question he's a likable guy with obvious talent. It's also impossible to argue that tough breaks and a subpar supporting cast on offense have plagued him during his brief career. These are the variables that often arise when discussing Bradford's lack of success in St. Louis, and this is the year when it's time for his supporters to stop leaning on them.

As much as there is to appreciate about Bradford, the fact still remains that the Rams haven't enjoyed a winning season in the four years since he became their starting quarterback. That means something has to change this fall, especially since it's critical that the 26-year-old Bradford takes a major step in his development. He's gone from being impressive (he was the 2010 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year) to inconsistent (during the one year he spent with former offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels) to injured (he sustained a torn ACL in Week 7 of last season). It's time for Bradford to produce the kind of season that makes everybody believe he's still the right man for the job.

If you probe the Rams about that possibility, they will tell you all the right things. When asked about the confidence the team has in Bradford's future, a team source said "there was no concern" while adding that Bradford "is a very good quarterback."

On the other hand, the Post-Dispatch said the Rams have met with University of Pittsburgh quarterback Tom Savage, while another meeting/workout also reportedly occurred with Fresno State's Derek Carr. The paper also floated names such as South Carolina's Connor Shaw and Georgia's Aaron Murray as talents who could interest St. Louis come draft week.

It's not surprising that the Rams would be intrigued by some of the signal-callers in this class. Once you get beyond the top three players at that position -- Blake Bortles, Teddy Bridgewater and Johnny Manziel -- there are still going to be some talents to be had in the later rounds. It's also true that drafting a quarterback doesn't mean a team is actually giving up on the one it already has under center. But in this case, should the Rams actually spend a second- or third-day pick on a signal-caller, they have to know the discussions about Bradford's future will only intensify.

Head coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead will have to deal with that fallout if that scenario actually plays out. Even if it doesn't,...
        -04-22-2014, 10:57 AM
      Working...
      X