Refree Fired - Oct 26, 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refree Fired - Oct 26, 2018

I just heard about this earlier today. How did I miss this?

From an article by Kevin Seifert at ESPN.

The NFL has taken the highly unusual step of firing down judge Hugo Cruz for performance reasons.
    Editor's Picks

It is the first time the NFL has fired an official in-season during the Super Bowl era because of performance.

Cruz, who last worked in Week 6 and is no longer an NFL employee, joined the NFL in 2015. He was responsible for one high-profile mistake this season when he missed an obvious false start by Los Angeles Chargers left tackle Russell Okung on a scoring play in Week 6 against the Cleveland Browns. He did not work in Week 7.
    I have no idea who this official is, or if he has made any mistakes in any games I have seen, but I have seen enough repeated mistakes by many officials that most should be gone. Maybe the "mistake" this guy made affected how the league wanted things to transpire. IMO, if this guy can be fired for such a mistake, the whole crew that "officiated" SB 36 should have been fired before the confetti fell to the floor.

gap

Related Topics

Collapse

• txramsfan
    Perfect Storm nickname by ESPN
    txramsfan
    In an article earlier this week, Dan Patrick of ESPN made reference to the Rams as the perfect storm. That sort of makes me hope above hope, that the Rams are reading stuff like Newsweek or National Geographic, periodicals that could care less about them. I'm not so worried about the Warners and Faulks, I'm worried about the Fletchers. Players like that starting reading and hearing stuff and the egos take off. Please, no stupid penalties from now on. Play smart. This team does have the potential to do the unthinkable (I won't mention it, but it has something to do with a Dolphins team in the early 70's whose opponents collective winning percentage that year was in the high .300's) but only if it plays smart. If you make a team go 3 and out, walk off like you have been there before. Because you have. Don't act the fool and get a 15 yard PF and give them another chance this year. Stay healthy and play smart Rams, and Maxim magazine is hilarious. lol
    -10-13-2001, 07:05 AM
  • ramsanddodgers
    Interesting (to me, anyway) discussion on ESPN today...
    ramsanddodgers
    They were saying that in the past 5 years fully 1/2 of the teams in the play-offs were not in the eplay-offs the previous year. (That would mean 30 of the 60 teams for those needing help with the math)

I also believe they said that half of the last 8 Super Bowl winners were not play-off teams in the year prior to winning it all. (That would be 4 for those still needing help)
    -09-11-2007, 10:11 PM
  • r8rh8rmike
    Stuart Scott Dies At Age 49
    r8rh8rmike
    Stuart Scott dies at age of 49

Updated: January 4, 2015, 1:15 PM ET
    By Steve Wulf | ESPN.com

Stuart Scott, a longtime anchor at ESPN, died Sunday morning at the age of 49.

Among the features of the new ESPN studio in Bristol is a wall of catchphrases made famous by on-air talent over the years. An amazing nine of them belong to one man -- from his signature "Boo-Yah!" to "As cool as the other side of the pillow" to "He must be the bus driver cuz he was takin' him to school."

That man is Stuart Scott, and his contributions to the sports lexicon are writ large. But they are only one aspect of his legacy. When he passed away, he left behind so much more. He inspired his colleagues with his sheer talent, his work ethic and his devotion to his daughters, Taelor, 19, and Sydni, 15. He defied convention and criticism to help bring this network into a new century. He spoke to the very athletes he was talking about with a flair and a style that ESPN president John Skipper says, "changed everything."

"He didn't just push the envelope," says sports radio host and former ESPN anchor Dan Patrick. "He bulldozed the envelope."

Scott was remembered through an outpouring of tributes by athletes, colleagues and fans on Twitter and statements from his alma mater, the University of North Carolina, which said that "his legacy will live on in many ways -- as a friend, a son, a father, a professional and forever, a Tar Heel," and President Barack Obama.

"I will miss Stuart Scott. Twenty years ago, Stu helped usher in a new way to talk about our favorite teams and the day's best plays. For much of those twenty years, public service and campaigns have kept me from my family -- but wherever I went, I could flip on the TV and Stu and his colleagues on SportsCenter were there. Over the years, he entertained us, and in the end, he inspired us -- with courage and love. Michelle and I offer our thoughts and prayers to his family, friends, and colleagues," the President said.

Moments of silence were held at some sporting events Sunday, including the NFL wild-card game between the Cincinnati Bengals and Indianapolis Colts.

Scott saved his best for his last year on the air. At the ESPYS on July 16, shortly before his 49th birthday and following another round of cancer surgery, Stuart accepted the Jimmy V Award for Perseverance with strength, humor, grace and these eloquent words: "When you die, it does not mean that you lose to cancer. You beat cancer by how you live, why you live, and in the manner in which you live."

So while the grief is deep at ESPN over the death of Stuart Scott, so is our gratitude. He was as popular on campus as he was in the airports he passed through and on the sidelines he worked over the last 22 years. He brought...
    -01-04-2015, 11:28 AM
  • VegasRam
    Official Retraction
    VegasRam
    Not that anyone else cares, but under the premise "to thine own self be true", I'd like to officially declare that yes, I AM an IDIOT, (having made the following statement in a previous post).

"I don't know about the rest of you, (and I want to), but I don't really care if we beat Detroit. Big Whup.

And we suck right now, so who really cares if we do or do not break TB's and Detroit's records. 1-15 or 0-16. What's the difference, really?"

Well, the difference (s) is (are) as follows:

We don't have to read any more about the "longest current losing streak, which basically prefaced every single article written with the word RAMS in it.

We wouldn't have seen that locker room moment - pretty emotional.

We wouldn't have ANY hope left at this point. (Not me anyway)

We (I) wouldn't be cutting Butler ANY slack for trying to make something happen. (And yes, I WAS screaming at the time).

I wouldn't be reconsidering my position on McMike. No way he doesn't make that TD catch. I guess Spags likes his veteran leadership, or something, and in Spags I DO trust.

I'm even softewning a little on Shurmer, (especially now that I know he can yake a hit). However, PLEASE lose those (whatever those sideways, never-gain-and-ususally-lose-a-yard) flare passes are called - for f'n ever!

My attitude - which was probably at it's 45 year low.

In addition...

I sure HOPE Bartell's hurt...and if so, let's pray the bye gets him well.

I liked Wade's self correction in punt coverage, making damn sure he outran it the second time.

Enjoyed watching Smith.

Lenon saved a LONG gainer with a shoestring tackle, as did Butler. (Last year, they miss those tackles).

Roughing call on Bulger was bogus, but he deserves it. (God knows he's earned it). Have mixed feelings about the slide, however.

"Only the Rams..." My thoughts when the ref stopped Jackson from scoring.

Don't love Karney as a receiving threat, but hey, whatever works. Shurmer DID spread it around today.

(with apologies to U2), but in Fells and Bajema we're getting closer to finding what we've been looking for since letting Conwell leave.

Cheers.

-11-02-2009, 01:49 PM
  • ramsplaya16
    Coker Fired!!!!!
    ramsplaya16
    YESSSSS!!!!!! Larry coker was fired today! I have been waiting for this day all season long!!!
    -11-24-2006, 03:56 PM
Working...
X