Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ex-NFL Pro Bowl players try curling with 2022 Olympic goal (Marc Bulger)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex-NFL Pro Bowl players try curling with 2022 Olympic goal (Marc Bulger)

Ex-NFL Pro Bowl players try curling with 2022 Olympic goal Jimmy Golen, Ap Sports Writer
    Published 10:55 am PST, Friday, January 4, 2019
    In this Jan. 3, 2019 photo, former Minnesota Vikings football player Jared Allen, second from left, stands with his three curling teammates, from left, Michael Roos, Keith Bullock and Marc Bulger after practice for a competition in Blaine, Minn. Allen retired from NFL football in 2015 and wasn't ready to give up on the competition he'd come to enjoy as a five-time All-Pro in a 12-year career. His solution: Make it to the 2022 Olympics _ in curling. Less than a year later, he and the three who have never curled before will attempt to qualify for the U.S. championships against curlers who have been throwing stones for most of their lives.

Defensive lineman Jared Allen retired from the NFL in 2015 and wasn't ready to give up on the competition he'd come to enjoy as a five-time All-Pro.
    His solution: The Olympics.
    The problem: He didn't compete in any Olympic sports.
    Less than a year later, Allen and three other former NFL stars none with any prior experience are attempting to qualify for the U.S. national curling championships against players who have been throwing stones for most of their lives.
    It would be the first step toward competing in the 2022 Winter Games in Beijing.
    "Every team in the NFL whether you're hot garbage or the defending Super Bowl champions every coach come August says the same thing: 'We're trying to win the Super Bowl,'" Allen said. "We come from that mentality, where we set lofty goals.
    "Our short term goals are continually to get better: Fundamentals, strategy, sweeping. We know if we master these little things, it will take us a long way."
    A 12-year NFL veteran who spent most of his career with the Chiefs and Vikings, Allen was lamenting the end of his playing days when a friend dared him to try an Olympic sport. Allen toyed with the idea of badminton but rejected it as too taxing.
    "We thought about curling. It was chill, and the winners have to buy the losers beer," he said. "We thought it was a win-win."
    He rounded up former Rams quarterback Marc Bulger and Titans linebacker Keith Bulluck and tackle Michael Roos to form a team; all were Pro Bowl selections during their NFL career, and living near Nashville, Tennessee.
    Adopting the name All-Pro Curling Team, they started from scratch in March and kept their plans under wraps until they felt like they had made enough progress.
    "We wanted the reaction when we got on the ice to be 'Oh, how long have you guys been doing this?" Allen said in a telephone interview after practicing on a converted hockey rink in Nashville. "We were serious. We didn't want it to seem like it was just some media hype, or just trying to stay relevant."
    The first test was in November, when Allen and Bulger with two "regular" curlers competed in the Curl Mesabi Classic in Northern Minnesota. Their first opponent: The gold medal-winning team from Pyeongchang led by four-time Olympian John Shuster.
    They lost 11-3, giving up five points in the sixth end.
    "Honestly, they were a little better than I had expected," said Matt Hamilton, the second on that team. "All in all, Jared was technically pretty sound. But at the end of the day, I've seen thousands of curling shots and situations and that is ultimately going to win us more games."
    Although curling matches are often conceded when they are out of reach, the Olympians kept playing through the eighth (of 10) ends, to help the football players gain the experience they'll need if they are going to be more competitive. (If it's any consolation for Allen's crew, Shuster's rink also scored a five-ender against Sweden in the gold-medal match.)
    "We had one bad end, and we just kept playing with them. We just wanted to be a sponge," Bulger said. "The key was they knew we were taking it seriously. It wasn't just us saying 'We're going to take over curling,' kind of as a gimmick.
    "We hope to play them again," he said, "when we're better."
    The All-Pros are back at it at the USA Men's Challenge Round this weekend in Blaine, Minnesota, where they are competing for one of four remaining spots in next month's national championships. (Top teams like Shuster's have already qualified.)
    They got off to a rough start in their first match, falling 10-1 to Steve Birklid's Seattle-based rink on Thursday night. But, by hopping into the sport early in the Olympic cycle, they have almost three more years before the team for the 2022 Games is chosen.
    Hamilton confessed he was put off at first about newcomers thinking they could reach the Olympics in a sport he'd worked a lifetime to master. But he also realized the publicity will be good for curling, which has struggled to break out of its niche as an every-four-years curiosity.
    "If I really think I'm that good, I should be like 'Bring it on!'" Hamilton said in an email to The Associated Press from a competition in Japan. "How much they respected the game, though, is what made me realize they aren't making a mockery. We just have some extremely athletic individuals who respect sport but have a need to compete in their blood. Can't disrespect that!"
    All four football players agreed the reception they've received from lifetime curlers is decidedly different from a curler trying to break into the hyper-competitive NFL.
    "Oh, he'd get smashed," Allen said. "We'd go out of our way to test his mettle, for sure."
    Instead, they found the tight-knit but friendly community of curlers was eager to accept them. In their match against the Olympians, there was trash-talking or banter, depending on whom you ask and Hamilton even gave them some of his old curling gear.
    "I looked at their broom heads and I was disgusted. I was wondering why these former pro football players couldn't afford new broom heads," he said. "So I went into my curling bag and gave them some gently used ones before the game. That really surprised Jared, claiming nothing like that would ever fly in football."
    Like many of those who only experience curling every four years on TV, the football players saw the sweeping and the shouting and underestimated how hard it is. "We played football, but it's a lot of muscles we didn't use," Bulger said.
    Sliding on the ice was also an adjustment, but the biggest challenge has been the strategy.
    When he first started watching, Bulger said, he would see curlers setting up protective stones called guards and thought they were missing their shots.
    "We just assumed that you throw to the button every time, and we learned that is not the game," he said. "It's like a novice chess player going against" a grandmaster.
    But their NFL experience did help in other ways, priming them with not just physical fitness but also good practice habits, making decisions on the fly and improving through film study and coaching.
    "Like any other sport, you have to learn, try to figure out how to get better," Bulluck said. "Playing football at a very high level, being one of the best at the position once upon a time, to get to that level in anything you do you have to be able to take coaching."
    And, of course, they're competitive.
    "The message is: We want to bring attention to it. We want to have fun with it," Allen said. "But we're dead serious about what we're trying to accomplish."
    Defensive lineman Jared Allen retired from the NFL in 2015 and wasn't ready to give up on the competition he'd come to enjoy as a five-time All-Pro. His solution: The Olympics. The problem: He didn't compete in any Olympic sports. Less than a year later, Allen and three other former NFL stars - none with any prior experience - are attempting to qualify for the U.S. national curling championships against players who have been throwing stones for most of their lives. It would be the first step toward competing in the 2022 Winter Games in Beijing. "Every team in the NFL - whether you're hot garbage or the defending Super Bowl champions - every coach come August says the same thing: 'We're trying to win the Super Bowl,'" Allen said.
    Last edited by cowboyhater; 2 weeks ago. Reason: Added reference to Bulger

This is really kewl! I really love watching curling. It looks like it would be a boring sport, but the strategy and and fine lines I find intriguing. What a blast it would be to see Marc in the Olympics.

gap

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
      No player's brain should be like scrambled eggs
      RamWraith
      By Bryan Burwell
      ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
      12/07/2007

For those of us who sit comfortably on the fringes of pro football, it's an exciting game that gives us everything we need: an exhilarating blend of world-class athleticism, breathless violence and flashy pageantry. We're the witnesses to this modern gladiator sport whose greatest investment is fanatical emotion and the occasional devotion to the point spread.

But when it comes to our relationship with football, we are sort of like the chicken and its contribution to a hearty egg-and-bacon breakfast. The chicken merely provides the egg.

But since the pig provides that bacon slab as a result of a butcher's blade whacking off its hindquarters, that would make the pig a bit more committed than the chicken.

In the NFL, the players can surely relate to swine. We might think we love the NFL, but the players are the ones who are physically committed. They're the ones who are taking physical risks while we boo and hiss or wave a few pompoms. They break bones and shred ligaments. They're the ones who too often have their brains scrambled in brutal collisions that we euphemistically call "having your bell rung," but medical folks more accurately describe as the devastating process of having your brain slammed violently around the inner casing of your skull wall.

So that's why I personally have no problem with Rams quarterback Marc Bulger's honesty and caution when reporters asked about his status for Sunday's game against the Cincinnati Bengals. Bulger has been trying to recover from his latest concussion for nearly two weeks, and on Wednesday made it clear that despite being given clearance by team physicians to practice, he wasn't ready to rush blindly back into game action.

When someone asked if he would be starting Sunday, Bulger said, "I wouldn't say that. I haven't been able to do anything for the last 10 days. There was a baseline test. I passed that. That was just to get me back on the practice field. Believe me, I'm the No. 1 person I'm hoping I get cleared this week to play. (But) it will be premature to say on Wednesday, after one practice ... that I'm the starter."

I'm not sure what most people's reactions were to Bulger's cautiousness. But I know what it should be.

Understanding.

Concussions are nothing to fool around with. In professional boxing, in most states, if a boxer suffers a concussion, sanctioning bodies won't allow the boxer to participate in a match for at least 30 days. In the NFL at least until recent years there never was such caution. Players could go back into games after they "got their bell rung."

They do it, and they were labeled as tough guys.

But the truth is, that toughness was a dangerous mistake.

The culture of football at every level...
      -12-08-2007, 07:22 AM
    • RamWraith
      Rams offense different under Linehan ( Bulger interview ESPN)
      RamWraith
      By Graham Bensinger
      Special to ESPN.com

Editor's note: Each week during the season, Graham Bensinger will be talking with high-profile NFL figures for ESPN.com's Weekly Conversation. This week he checks in with Rams quarterback Marc Bulger.

Graham Bensinger: Your father Jim was a QB for Notre Dame, your brother Jim golfed for the Fighting Irish, your sister Kate was drafted into the WNBA, and your younger sister Meg plays for West Virginia's basketball program. What's that like?

Marc Bulger: First, my older brother never even officially played for Notre Dame. He practiced with them for a year. He went a little overboard on that one! (laughs) Kate was drafted to the WNBA which didn't work out. Meg is going to be a senior this year. She blew her knee out four or five months ago so she's going to miss this year. She was leading the country in three-point field goals at the time she got hurt last year. She was definitely going to be a consensus All-American this year.

Bensinger: How was growing up in such an athletic family?

Bulger: It was normal. I wasn't a huge recruit out of high school. I only had a couple scholarship offers. I was a good athlete, but other guys in my school were certainly bigger recruits. My sisters probably got noticed a little more because I was at West Virginia University at the time. By the time my younger sister was in high school, I was in the NFL. They probably got a little more attention in recruiting because of that. My dad coached our baseball team. We were in baseball, basketball, football, and golf. There was always something sports related going on in my house.

Bensinger: Who was the best athlete in the family?

Bulger: That's tough to say. We were all good athletes. Of the boys, I was probably the best-rounded because I played everything. My sister Meg is the most natural. My mom never got us into comparing. I'd probably get into trouble. (laughs)

Bensinger: How much sibling competition was there?

Bulger: A lot. It definitely helped my sisters because there were three boys of relatively close age. We always had mutual friends who played basketball all the time in the driveway. We'd have our friends over and my sisters could hold their own. They were girls and younger, but the competition helped them. It probably toughened them up a little bit.

Bensinger: I hear you're quite the golfer ...

Bulger: I'm getting there (laughs) Every year, it's the same thing. I start in the spring and I'm about an eight handicap. Last summer, I got down to a two handicap. Then, I don't play because I'm too sore during the season. From about July to February or March, I don't pick up a golf club. That hurts me. Fortunately, two or three years ago I got into Oakmont Country Club in Pittsburgh. The US Open is going to be there next year. Playing that course...
      -11-10-2006, 08:07 PM
    • Ramblin` Ram
      so much for our current "heroes".
      Ramblin` Ram
      Birk committed to cause

A disappointing number of players contributed to the Gridiron Greats program, but the center vows to keep at it.

By CHIP SCOGGINS, Star Tribune

Vikings center Matt Birk said he was surprised but not deterred by the poor response from NFL players who were asked to donate part of their game checks from a December game to assist former players who face severe health and financial hardships.

Taking a leading role in the Gridiron Greats program, Birk donated $50,000 and also sent a letter to every NFL player encouraging them to donate a portion of their Dec. 21 game check. Of the nearly 1,700 active players in the league, only about 20 donated to the cause, including eight of Birk's Vikings teammates.

Birk acknowledged Tuesday he was surprised that only about 1 percent of the active players donated, but he vowed to work harder to raise awareness for the cause.

"It's not going to deter me from getting the message out there," said Birk, who was honored at the Super Bowl as a finalist for the Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year Award. "I'm going to fight for this cause. It's in the best interests of everybody involved in this league. We're going to pick it apart and figure out how we can do better."

Jennifer Smith, executive director of the Gridiron Greats Assistance Fund, said the number of players who donated part of their game checks was less than last year, when the organization raised between $275,000 and $300,000.

However, Smith said donations still are coming in and blamed some of the response on time constraints. Players received Birk's letter only 10 days before the Dec. 21 date.

Former Bears coach Mike Ditka, a member of the Gridiron Greats board of directors, was less diplomatic in his response to USA Today when asked about the number of players who contributed.

"What's that tell you?" Ditka told the paper. "Would you call it apathy?"

Gridiron Greats assists former players, some of whom are in dire need of basic necessities. At a press conference in the Twin Cities in December, former player Dwight Harrison said he lives in a trailer with no running water in Beaumont, Texas.

Birk, who reiterated that Gridiron Greats has nothing to do with pensions, addressed the problems in his letter to players.

"Sadly, the price paid by some of those who came before us has been too costly," he wrote. "They live in excruciating physical pain and severe mental anguish as a direct result from their playing days.

"In too many instances, these men have had to deplete their financial resources in an attempt to achieve a quality of life that is bearable at best and many have no health insurance or access to medical care. The toll of playing football has left some of our brothers...
      -02-04-2009, 08:49 AM
    • RamWraith
      Contract leaves Bulger one thing on his to-do list
      RamWraith
      By Bryan Burwell
      ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
      Wednesday, Aug. 01 2007

On the night he hit the salary cap lottery, Marc Bulger slowly cruised his Land
      Rover through the parking lot of the Rams training facility. As he hit the
      button that slowly lowered the tinted windows, the first thing you noticed
      inside the darkened interior of his luxury SUV was a pearly million-dollar
      smile.

It had been an eventful 24 hours for Bulger, one that began with a bold but
      brief training camp no-show but ended with a news conference full of smiling
      faces and a freshly signed $65 million contract that made the quarterback the
      highest-paid Ram in history. In between, there was a lot of hand-wringing and
      plenty of frayed nerves during a contentious overnight negotiating session that
      produced the one elusive intangible Bulger had sought his entire football life.

True affirmation.

"It's always been a struggle for me to gain real acceptance in football,"
      Bulger said. "There was always someone in control who never quite bought into
      me and my abilities. In high school, they didn't let me start until my senior
      year. In college, they were always trying to replace me. In the pros, I was cut
      after six weeks my rookie year in New Orleans without ever getting on the
      field."

So now he was at the end of a fantastic journey that took him from the bottom
      of the waiver wire to near the top of the NFL salary scale. In the world of pro
      sports, it's downright ridiculous to try and tell you that this game of
      negotiating chicken between Bulger and his agents and the Rams' front office
      wasn't about the money, because everything in pro sports inevitably is about
      the money. Status and acceptance are calculated by decimal points, signing
      bonuses and guaranteed cash.

So yes, the little negotiating dance between Bulger and the Rams was about the
      money. But the larger truth for Bulger is how all this money changes a few
      things in Bulger's football life other than his bank account. He had spent the
      last 15 years with that big "nobody respects me" chip on his shoulder,
      motivating him every step of the way. He kept it all bottled up deep inside
      that quiet exterior, only occasionally letting on how often he catalogued every
      real and imagined insult.

He remembered how his hometown Pitt Panthers never recruited him, and how even
      after getting a scholarship to West Virginia, and winning the starting job as a
      sophomore, and setting 30 school passing records along the way, the Mountaineer
      coaches basically held open auditions for his job every year. He remembered
      being cut by New Orleans, being released again in Atlanta and...
      -08-01-2007, 05:30 AM
    • RamWraith
      NFL's cold-hearted stance regarding its vets is deplorable
      RamWraith
      By Bryan Burwell
      ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
      02/02/2007

MIAMI This is the darkest side of America's greatest sports fantasy. It's Super Bowl Week in the belly of the National Football League's massive publicity machine radio row at the Super Bowl media center and there are countless former players slowly milling around the room from one radio interview to the next.

They used to move smoothly across the playing field. They used to run fast and jump high. Now they shuffle and limp with stiff-legged gaits.

Underneath pant legs and long sleeves are grotesque surgical scars. Their fingers are contorted like spiny tree branches; some of them amble along with canes. If you did not know any better, you would think they were disabled war veterans, not former pro football players.

Keith Sims was a three-time Pro Bowl offensive lineman who played 11 years in the NFL, mostly with the Miami Dolphins. I have not seen him in several years. The first time I met him 16 years ago, he was a healthy 24-year-old rookie. Today, he's a 40-year-old man who can't stand on his feet for longer than 20 or 30 minutes.

"I took four Advil this morning, and that ought to last me until noon," Sims told me Thursday. "I'll take four more by then and try to ice down my knees."

He pointed to the jagged scar that ran down the back of his left leg. Achilles tendon operation. He showed me his disfigured fingers that had been dislocated, jammed and surgically fused so often that he practically lost count on the wear and tear.

"But I'm one of the lucky ones," Sims said. "I own a Dunkin' Donuts franchise. I can pay my own medical. But I know a lot of older veterans who aren't as lucky as me."

This is not a part of our childhood football fantasy. We dreamed of racing into those sold-out football coliseums like glorious warriors. We did not dream of limping out of them like crippled victims or ruining our kidneys with too many pain killers.

As great and profitable as business has been for the NFL owners and the current players salaries are higher than ever; profits are beyond mind-boggling there doesn't seem to be any interest by the league or the players' association to put aside enough of that money to adequately assist former players whose disability coverage and pensions are woefully inadequate.

Former St. Louis football Cardinal Conrad Dobler is one of those men. Dobler retired in 1981 and has undergone 11 football-related surgeries since then. In 1994, he tried to use funds from his NFL disability insurance by applying to the NFL retirement plan. What followed was a tangled, frustrating roadblock of bureaucratic madness.

According to an interview with HBO's "Real Sports," Dobler said his doctors believed he had an "impairment of 90 percent" in...
      -02-03-2007, 06:05 AM
    Working...
    X