• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former NFL QB Tarvaris Jackson dies in car crash

Former NFL QB Tarvaris Jackson dies in car crash
    By Kevin Patra
    Around the NFL Writer
    Published: April 13, 2020 at 09:54 a.m.Updated: April 13, 2020 at 10:02 a.m.

Former NFL quarterback Tarvaris Jackson died in a car crash on Sunday night. He was 36.

Jackson died in a crash in Alabama, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, according to a spokesperson for Tennessee State University.

The former NFL signal-caller was TSU's QB coach.

Jackson was a former second-round pick out of Alabama State by the Vikings in 2006. He spent five seasons in Minnesota, starting 20 games. The signal-caller generated his most prolific season as a 14-game starter for the Seattle Seahawks in 2011, throwing for 3,091 yards and 14 TDs.

Jackson then spent one year with the Buffalo Bills but did not play in a regular-season game.

The veteran returned to Seattle as a backup to Russell Wilson from 2013-2015, where he earned a Super Bowl ring.

Jackson transitioned into coaching in 2018, joining Alabama State as a quality control coach and QB coach. He moved to TSU in 2019.

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
    Hue Jackson, next ***** coach?
    by Nick
    Certainly has the California ties....
    -01-08-2016, 07:46 PM
  • RamBill
    Steven Jackson hints at retirement on NFL Network
    by RamBill
    Rams running back Steven Jackson hints at*retirement | SI Tracking Blog

St. Louis Rams running back Steven Jackson told the NFL Network on Friday night that retirement is an option if he doesn’t get the deal he wants from the team.

Jackson said he was thinking of Hall of Famer Barry Sanders, who retired when he was less than 1,500 yards from becoming the NFL’s all-time leading rusher. He said he didn’t want to extend his career too long.

Jackson, 29, is expected to decline his $7 million player option for the 2013 season, which would make him a free agent.

Jackson had 257 carries for 1,042 yards and four touchdowns this season and has rushed for 1,000 yards or more in each of the past eight seasons. In his nine-year NFL career, all with the Rams, Jackson has rushed for 10,135 yards and 56 touchdowns.
    -01-18-2013, 05:28 PM
  • Yodude
    A Seahawk's Thoughts on Steven Jackson
    by Yodude
    Jackson a battering Ram
    Former Oregon State star emerging in second season

By CLARE FARNSWORTH
    SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

Steven Jackson makes one mean first impression.

It goes beyond the chiseled physique and statuesque running style that make the St. Louis Rams' second-year running back seem taller than his 6-foot-2 frame. It's more than the dreadlocks flowing from beneath his helmet, which add to his distinctive appearance.

Jackson doesn't just look the part of a unique talent, he plays it.

"He's a beast," said Lofa Tatupu, the Seahawks' rookie middle linebacker who has had a couple of memorable run-ins with Jackson in college and the NFL. "He's a freak of nature. You aren't supposed to be that big and be able to move like that.

"He's a battering ram," Tatupu said. "No pun intended, but he is."

Jackson and Tatupu are again veering toward a collision course, as the NFC West-leading Seahawks (6-2) play host to the second-place Rams (4-4) Sunday in a game that will have a significant effect on the division race.

Tatupu leads the Seahawks in tackles (52). Jackson leads the Rams in rushing yards (659) and touchdowns (eight).

Unlike Tatupu, Jackson has had to wait his turn. When the Rams made Jackson the 24th pick in the 2004 draft, they already had Marshall Faulk, whose stature in St. Louis dwarfs the Gateway Arch.

Faulk's presence and a knee injury to Jackson that needed surgery after the season limited his production as a rookie. But this season, they have flopped roles.

"I'm never going to forget who I replaced," Jackson said during training camp. "But at the same time, I have to keep moving forward."

During training camp, the Rams talked about playing smashmouth football by leading with the 231-pound Jackson. In their past two games, with Joe Vitt replacing pass-happy Mike Martz as coach, they actually have done it.

In the Rams' pre-bye week victory over the Jacksonville Jaguars, Jackson carried 25 times for a career-high 179 yards. The week before, it was 20 carries for 97 yards and two touchdowns in a win over the Saints.

Jackson has gotten 20 or more carries only four times in his first season and a half, but the Rams have won all four games.

But back to those first impressions.

Jackson was a do-it-all back from Las Vegas who was recruited to Oregon State by Dennis Erickson, who spent time in Corvallis between NFL coaching stints with the Seahawks and *****. When Erickson returned to the NFL, Mike Riley inherited Jackson.

"We'd heard all about him, of course," Riley said. "But the first time we saw him on the field, we went, 'Whoa. My goodness.' We'd seen him on film, but to see him...
    -11-09-2005, 09:19 AM
  • RamWraith
    Jackson makes comments on comments
    by RamWraith
    Tuesday, July 27, 2004
    RACHEL BACHMAN

In the past six days, Steven Jackson has experienced an NFL head coach's anger, his 21st birthday and life as a new millionaire.

And he hasn't even played a down of pro football.

Jackson begins final preparations for his rookie season Wednesday, when the St. Louis Rams' training camp begins in Macomb, Ill. He has a freshly inked, $7 million contract and a new appreciation for the high-profile business he has joined.

Last Wednesday, Rams coach Mike Martz blasted Jackson in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, painting him as no-show at workouts, calling him "far behind" and saying Jackson would have to shake off the "glitz and glamour of being the No. 1 guy" and go to work.

Jackson called Martz's comments shocking, but said the coach merely has not gotten to know him.

In fact, NFL rules prohibited Jackson, the Rams' top draft pick at No. 24 overall, from attending full-squad practice sessions last May because Oregon State's senior class had yet to graduate. On Monday, Jackson explained that he skipped the Rams' rookie mini-camp this month because he did not want to injure himself before he was under contract.

"The few times I had a chance to talk to him, he comes across as a stern guy," Jackson said of Martz. "I haven't really felt him out, and I don't think he's felt me out, either. Because the way he portrayed me in the paper and in the media . . . everyone who's gotten a chance to know me knows I'm not like that.

"I don't shy away from any workload or anything like that."

After Martz's outburst, Jackson encouraged his agent, Rocky Arceneaux, to get a deal done quickly. On Saturday, Jackson and his parents were watching TV in Arceneaux's office as he negotiated Jackson's contract by phone.

"We were all sitting in the next room while Rocky was negotiating," Jackson said. "And when he came out and told us the numbers, it was kind of like watching someone on 'The Price is Right.' "

The price was right: Jackson has a five-year, $7 million deal, including a $4 million signing bonus.

Jackson and Arceneaux have the same birthday -- July 22 -- so they had much to celebrate when they went out for dinner Saturday night. Jackson had spent his actual birthday at a low-key dinner with his parents, in town from Las Vegas.

The weekend was full of emotion. On Friday, he learned of the death of Justin Williams, the Oregon State redshirt freshman killed in an auto accident on Interstate 5 near Wilsonville.

"I was actually at a party that night and I got the phone call from (former OSU players) Lawrence Turner and Richard Seigler," Jackson said. "They called to tell me that, and I immediately left. It was devastating,...
    -07-27-2004, 06:35 AM
  • RamWraith
    Jackson Eager for New Beginning
    by RamWraith
    Wednesday, March 29, 2006

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

Steven Jackson thought 2005 was going to be his breakout season. It was his first year as a starter and things were supposed to be different from his rookie year.

Jackson expected plenty of carries, yards and touchdowns and he expected the Rams to be a Super Bowl contender. And many people expected the same thing.

After a tumultuous season in which the team finished 6-10 and Jackson was essentially an afterthought in the offense, Jackson is ready for a fresh start.

“I am approaching it with a focus of saying this is me getting a new beginning,” Jackson said Wednesday. “I feel like I have a chance to start over my career.”

Granted, Jackson acknowledges that he isn’t exactly a grizzled veteran with just two years of experience. But Jackson also is looking to be in on the ground floor of a new direction in the organization.

By now, everyone knows and remembers the troubling times Jackson went through last season. With coach Mike Martz on the shelf for most of the season because of a bacterial infection of the heart valve, Jackson never got much of a chance to take off.

Even when Martz was calling the plays, Jackson was probably even less of an option. Going as far back as the 2004 season, at Arizona when Jackson was deemed healthy, but not on the field for most of the game, Jackson believes that he and Martz simply did not mix.

“You don’t want to be in the doghouse of the head coach,” Jackson said. “No matter what you say about him, no matter how you feel about him, you don’t want…this is the guy that is calling the plays. You don’t want to be in the doghouse of a guy like Coach Martz. At the same time, you have to address him as a professional and ask him if it is a problem can we sever it and get on with it. At times, I thought we did sit down, discuss what the problem was and move on. At times, in the heat of the battle of the games, it just seemed like I wasn’t getting my touches.”

Jackson certainly had moments where he flashed his enormous potential a season ago. In week eight against Jacksonville with most of the Rams’ top skill players out, Jackson had his best game. He rushed for 179 yards on 25 carries with a game-winning touchdown catch in the closing minutes.

Instead of that becoming a stepping stone, Jackson’s touches fluctuated greatly the rest of the season. During the Dec. 4 game against Washington, Jackson received just 11 carries for 24 yards.

It became somewhat of a breaking point for Jackson, as he let his feeling become known during his weekly meeting with the media. When asked if he had spoken with the coaching staff about his lack of touches, Jackson said “No, I haven’t but you can. Give me the ball.”

Jackson battled a variety of minor injuries for the rest of the season and...
    -03-29-2006, 12:38 PM
Working...
X