X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dolphins Hall of Fame coach Don Shula dies at 90

Dolphins Hall of Fame coach Don Shula dies at 90

ESPN 7:25 AM PT

Don Shula, the NFL's winningest coach who led the Miami Dolphins to the league's only undefeated season, died on Monday. He was 90.

The Dolphins issued a statement saying that Shula died "peacefully at his home."

"Don Shula was the patriarch of the Miami Dolphins for 50 years," the statement said. "He brought the winning edge to our franchise and put the Dolphins and the city of Miami in the national sports scene. Our deepest thoughts and prayers go out to Mary Anne along with his children Dave, Donna, Sharon, Anne and Mike."

Shula won an NFL-record 347 games, including including playoff games. He coached the Dolphins to the league's only undefeated season (17-0) in 1972, culminating in a 14-7 victory over the Washington Redskins in Super Bowl VII.

The Dolphins repeated as champions the next season, beating the Minnesota Vikings 24-7 in Super Bowl VIII, the third straight title game Miami had played in; the Dolphins lost 24-3 to the Dallas Cowboys in Super Bowl VI.

In all, Shula guided the Dolphins to five Super Bowls, including losses to the Redskins (27-17 in Super Bowl XVII) and San Francisco ***** (38-16 in Super Bowl XIX).

"Today is a sad day," Dolphins president Tom Garfinkel said in a statement. "Coach Shula was the rare man who exemplified true greatness in every aspect of his life. He will be so missed by so many but his legacy of character and excellence will endure. All my best to Mary Anne and the Shula family."

Before coming to Miami, Shula coached the Baltimore Colts, who made him the then-youngest NFL coach when they hired him at age 33. He led the Colts to Super Bowl III, the first title game to officially have "Super Bowl" in its name. Baltimore lost 16-7 to quarterback Joe Namath and the New York Jets, who became the first AFL team to win a Super Bowl.

By the time he resigned as Dolphins coach after the 1995 season, Shula had been an NFL head coach for 33 seasons, 26 with Miami. Only two of his Dolphins teams finished below .500 during those 26 seasons. He finished with an overall coaching record of 347-173-6 (73-26-4 with Baltimore).

Shula was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1997. He, George Halas and Bill Belichick are the only coaches in NFL history to win more than 300 games.

"The entire Pro Football Hall of Fame family mourns the passing of Coach Shula. Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife Mary Anne and their entire family. The Hall of Fame flag will fly at half staff and we will forever keep his legacy alive to serve as inspiration to future generations," Hall of Fame president and CEO David Baker said in a statement.

Shula also played seven seasons as a defensive back in the NFL after being drafted by the Cleveland Browns in the ninth round (110th overall) of the 1951 draft after playing collegiately at John Carroll University in Cleveland. He had 21 career interceptions in seven NFL seasons for Cleveland (1951-52), Baltimore (1953-56) and Washington (1957).

"Don Shula will always be remembered as one of the greatest coaches and contributors in the history of our game. He made an extraordinarily positive impact on so many lives," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. "The winningest coach in NFL history and the only one to lead a team to a perfect season, Coach Shula lived an unparalleled football life. As a player, Hall of Fame coach, and long-time member and co-chair of the NFL Competition Committee, he was a remarkable teacher and mentor who for decades inspired excellence and exemplified integrity."

Both of Shula's sons followed him into the NFL coaching ranks. Mike Shula is the quarterbacks coach for the Denver Broncos and David Shula was the Cincinnati Bengals' head coach from 1992 to 1996. He also played one season with Baltimore (1981).

Great coach, great individual. Definitely in the discussion as one of the best coaches in NFL history, no question.

Comment

I echo those sentiments. You don't win 347 games by accident. Shula was an outstanding coach whose teams were prepared and who adapted over the years as the game evolved. And he was a dignified guy who didn't get caught up in the histrionics and nonsense we see from modern day coaches. The man coached for 33 years and finished under .500 TWICE. Amazing. RIP, Coach.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
        Parcells signs deal with Dolphins
        by RamWraith
        Ex-coach agrees to contract to be V.P. of football ops
        Posted: Thursday December 20, 2007 11:00AM; Updated: Thursday December 20, 2007 4:04PM

DAVIE, Fla. (AP) -- Bill Parcells led Super Bowl winners from the sideline. The Miami Dolphins hope he'll do the same from the front office.

Parcells signed a four-year contract Thursday to lead the Dolphins' football operations, one day after turning down essentially the same role with the Atlanta Falcons.

The two-time Super Bowl champion coach will report directly to Miami owner Wayne Huizenga, whose affinity for big-name help now has led him to Parcells -- a 66-year-old former coach of four NFL clubs who owns a home in South Florida and now has a job there, too.

"He has a proven track record of success everywhere he has been in the National Football League," Huizenga said. "And his football acumen will help put the Miami Dolphins franchise back among the elite of the NFL."

On Wednesday, the expectation around the league was that Parcells would take over in Atlanta, with even some reports saying the deal was done. By the afternoon, however, the deal had fallen apart and the Dolphins moved quickly to get Parcells to sign a contract.

"I'm honored to join such an illustrious franchise as the Miami Dolphins and to work for one of the best owners in the league in Wayne Huizenga," Parcells said. "He shares my same commitment to winning and I told him I would do everything I can to help turn around the team's fortunes."

The team made the announcement shortly after the locker room was closed for the day, and roughly 45 minutes after Dolphins coach Cam Cameron sidestepped at least a half-dozen questions about Parcells _ even refusing to say if he's ever met the coach.

"There will potentially be a time to have that discussion," Cameron said. "Today, I don't see it as being that day or this time."

Parcells will be formally introduced by the Dolphins on Dec. 27, the team said.

His arrival has taken virtually all the attention off the Dolphins' game at New England on Sunday. But even as it appeared certain Parcells was coming, players didn't say much on the hot topic.

Televisions were off in the locker room after practice Thursday; that wasn't the case 24 hours earlier, when Parcells' face was splashed across the screens as news broke he was weighing Huizenga's offer.

Few players wanted to speak about Parcells, and those who did generally offered the company line, that the Dolphins are only thinking about Sunday's game at New England.

"Any more questions about New England?" defensive back Jason Allen asked.

Miami started 0-13 before beating Baltimore last weekend. The roster already seemed certain for an...
        -12-20-2007, 03:57 PM
      • RamDez
        Top 10 NON Superbowl Winners
        by RamDez
        Dan Marino – Miami Dolphins
        Dan Marino holds every meaningful passing record in NFL history, throwing for more than 60,000 yards and 420 touchdowns during a glittering 17-year career. But Marino never won a Super Bowl ring. His only appearance in the title game came in 1985 against the San Francisco ***** in Super Bowl XIX. In just his second season, Marino and the Dolphins were beaten 38-16.

The popular thought following that game was that Marino – in his second season – would return to many Super Bowls. In fact, he never played in another Super Bowl.

Barry Sanders – Detroit Lions

Sanders retired in 1999 as the second leading rusher in NFL history when he was on course to eventually become the best of all time. Sanders led the league in rushing four times in 10 seasons. He retired with 15,269 rushing yards and 99 touchdowns but never got anywhere near playing in a Super Bowl with the mediocre Lions.

Dick Butkus – Chicago Bears
        There is no question Dick Butkus can be considered one of the best – if not the best – defender of all-time, but he has no Super Bowl ring to show for his efforts. Butkus was an intimidating force at middle linebacker and he ruled the NFL for nine seasons that were full of bone-crunching hits. But his Chicago Bears were distinctly average at that time (1965-1973) and no Super Bowl appearances came Butkus’ way.

He was voted to eight consecutive Pro Bowls and inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1979.

Fran Tarkenton – Minnesota Vikings
        Until Dan Marino came along, Fran Tarkenton held every passing record in the book and was a star with the Minnesota Vikings and New York Giants from 1961 to 1978.

Tarkenton threw a record 342 touchdown passes during his Hall of Fame career and reached three Super Bowls with the Vikings, losing on each occasion.

The diminutive passer is still considered one of the game’s greats and was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1986. At the time of his retirement, Tarkenton held NFL records for attempts (6,467), completions (3,686), yards (47,003) and touchdowns.

Gale Sayers – Chicago Bears
        Gale Sayers was a magical, breathtaking running back who broke into the NFL in 1965 by scoring a rookie record 22 touchdowns. He led the league in rushing in 1966 and 1969 and was voted to three Pro Bowls. Like Butkus, Sayers had the misfortune of playing on some bad Bears teams and never even got a sniff of the Super Bowl action. Also, a career-ending knee injury meant Sayers only played seven seasons in the NFL. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1977.

Anthony Munoz – Cincinnati Bengals
        Anthony Munoz was a rock on the offensive line of two Cincinnati Bengals teams that went to Super Bowls in the 1981 and 1988 seasons...
        -09-05-2004, 05:44 AM
      • thoey
        Where do they come up with this stuff
        by thoey
        From the Miami Herald:

I don't even see a quote from Martz in this article......
        -11-15-2004, 10:21 AM
      • Nick
        Dolphins head coach Nick Saban accepts University of Alabama job
        by Nick
        After repeated denials, Saban takes Bama job
        ESPN.com news services
        Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Nick Saban has accepted an offer from Alabama to coach the Crimson Tide and leave the Miami Dolphins, two weeks after declaring "I'm not going to be the Alabama coach."

Saban's agreement with Alabama is for eight years and a fully-guaranteed $32 million, according to ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli. Saban can potentially earn an additional $700,000 to $800,000 annually in bowl-game bonuses.

Saban told team owner Wayne Huizenga of his decision in a face-to-face meeting Wednesday morning. Saban then informed all of his coaches by speakerphone that he was leaving the franchise to coach Alabama.

In a news conference at the team's facility, Huizenga told reporters he was not upset by Saban's departure.

"It is what it is. We have to move forward," Huizenga said. "We want the best for Nick and [his wife] Terry. I like Nick a lot and think he could have won here. I'm a Nick Saban fan."

As of late Wednesday morning, Saban was not yet headed to Tuscaloosa for a formal introduction.

"All indications are that he's coming, but I know they're not in the air yet," an Alabama athletic department official told ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach.

Saban had issued repeated denials that he was interested in coaching Alabama, one of the most high-profile and high-pressure college coaching jobs in the country. After he turned down the Tide in early December, they offered the job to Rich Rodriguez, but he decided to stay at West Virginia.

Alabama made a formal offer Monday after rumors swirled for weeks that the Crimson Tide were continuing their pursuit of the former LSU coach, who spent five seasons in Baton Rouge before leaving for the NFL. Saban was 48-16 at LSU and won the 2003 BCS national championship.

He walks away from the Dolphins with three years left on a deal worth approximately $4.5 million a year.

In the past, Huizenga has been persuasive when dealing with coaches. He talked Don Shula into retirement in 1996, talked Jimmy Johnson out of retiring three years later -- Johnson lasted one more season -- and was able to lure Saban to the pros in 2004 after other NFL teams had failed.

But this time, Huizenga failed to change Saban's mind.

"First of all this was never about money," Huizenga said. "It's never been about money, Nick never talked to me about money, Nick never talked to me about an extension. I honestly believe this was not about money.

Saban was 15-17 without a playoff appearance in his two seasons as Dolphins coach.

"In my opinion, the Dolphins have always been about winning. I just want everyone to know that it's really all about winning now," Huizenga said. "I don't...
        -01-03-2007, 10:15 AM
      • MauiRam
        Could the 2009 Rams Duplicate the 2008 Dolphin's Season?
        by MauiRam
        One can only wonder how bad it is in the Rams locker room these days. One would imaginine that it is devoid of both group and individual self-esteem. Reading about the woes of last year's Dolphins when the team hit rock bottom, made me realize that we will have the same opportunity to improve. Sure Billy D. isn't in the same echelon as Parcells, (few are), but he'll have the chance to prove he belongs there .. We have a chance to tie last year's dismal record this Sunday, but it appears unlikely we'll get a win on the road in Atlanta .. The removal of Shaw and Zygmunt was our Xmas gift from the Chipster .. Let's hope Billy D. can hire the right coach and personnel gurus to lead us to the promised land.

FOX Sports on MSN - NFL - Dolphins are one win from complete turnaround

Dolphins are one win from complete turnaround by Alex Marvez.

Alex Marvez is a Senior NFL Writer for FOXSports.com. He's covered the NFL for 14 seasons as a beat writer and is the president of the Pro Football Writers of America.

The Miami Dolphins highlights airing on a locker room television caught Vonnie Holliday's eye.At this time last season, the Dolphins defensive end would have turned away. The only Dolphins footage being shown was future material for a "Football Follies" special. And now? Miami can complete the greatest turnaround in the NFL's 88-year history Sunday by defeating the host New York Jets.

As Terrell Owens would say, getcha popcorn ready.

"To be in December and have people talking about the Dolphins in a good way is what I'm most proud of this season," Holliday said Wednesday at team headquarters. "Here we are in the thick of things. Last year, we were the butt of jokes. This year, we're for real. "Really.. By defeating the Jets, Miami (10-5) would win the AFC East. Snow in South Florida seemed more likely entering the season. No one-win team had ever rebounded to post double-digit victories the following year, let alone make the playoffs.

"I don't think if you would have looked at our roster at the beginning of the season that you would have seen a 10-5 team," Dolphins cornerback Andre' Goodman said. "But the fact is we are a team. We lift each other up. You didn't feel that last year. "Goodman admits he couldn't have fathomed such a reversal of fortune when the 2007 Dolphins were sitting at 1-14 heading into a season-ending home loss against Cincinnati. What a difference......a year makes. The Dolphins have gone from 1-15 to 10-5 and in the playoff race. A look at the statistical turnaround:

Stat 2007 2008*
        Points scored 267 321
        Points allowed 437 300
        Turnovers 29 12
        TO margin -7 +14
        Pass YPG 207.4 237.4
        Rush YPG 98.1 118.1
        * -- through 15 games

"You heard at the beginning of the season about what we can be, but...
        -12-27-2008, 01:38 PM
      Working...
      X