X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FOX prepared to add virtual fans and crowd noise to NFL broadcasts

FOX prepared to add virtual fans and crowd noise to NFL broadcasts

By Dave Zangaro May 14, 2020 9:38 AM

The NFL schedule was released earlier this month but we’re not guaranteed to have a 2020 season and we’re certainly not guaranteed to have fans in the stands if and when it does happen.

So FOX is preparing for football games without fans in an unusual way.

Lead play-by-play guy Joe Buck did an interview with Sirius XM’s Andy Cohen and said FOX is preparing to pump in crowd noise during its broadcasts and preparing to add virtual crowds to empty stadiums.

It’s pretty much a done deal. I think whoever’s gonna be at that control is going to have to be very good at their job and be realistic with how a crowd would react depending on what just happened on the field. It’s really important. And then on top of that, they’re looking at putting virtual fans in the stands, so when you look at a wide shot, it looks like the stadium is jam-packed, and in fact, it’ll be empty.
    In the conversation, Cohen asked Buck if he thought the network would add crowd noise and Buck said he knows they’ll do it.

I like the idea of doing this. Watching games with no crowd noise or fans would be weird. That said, if they do it, it'll be interesting to see how it's managed. Does Fox control noise, or does the home team? How loud can it get? When can it be used? Are there cheers as well as boos? Yeah, it'll be interesting.

Comment

So, it will be like watching a Chargers home game?
      temp_4394_1467243487543_20
      RAMS!

Comment

As long as the players won't have to 'play' from home. (^_^)

And security personnel, refs, photographers, concession stands, ball kids too.

Comment

One person reacting for 60,000 people? crazy

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• AvengerRam_old
            Rams-Falcons On Fox - No Maguire or Theisman
            by AvengerRam_old
            Good thing. If I never hear Joe Theisman talk again it will be too soon.
            -01-10-2005, 09:26 AM
          • HUbison
            Collinsworth leaving Fox for NBC
            by HUbison
            Collinsworth leaving Fox for NBC
            By Michael Hiestand, USA TODAY

Cris Collinsworth, an analyst on Fox's top NFL game broadcast team, will join NBC for coverage of NFL Sunday night games that will begin in 2006, Fox Sports President Ed Goren said Tuesday.

Collinsworth, who teamed with Fox play-by-play announcer Joe Buck and analyst Troy Aikman, will not be part of the Fox's NFL coverage next season as the network will instead use Buck and Aikman in a two-man booth, Goren said.

"We would like to thank Cris for (seven) terrific years at Fox Sports and wish him nothing but the very best," Goren said. "Over the same time period we've been fortunate to have Troy Aikman develop into one of television's best analysts. We're confident and excited that he and Joe Buck will become television's top NFL team."

NBC has already signed ABC's John Madden to be its game analyst for Sunday nights and has said it won't use him in a three-man booth. That means it's likely that NBC will use Collinsworth in its Sunday night studio show. Collinsworth was an NBC studio analyst before joining Fox.

Collinsworth wasn't available for comment Tuesday, and NBC declined comment.
            -07-13-2005, 06:15 AM
          • Truth
            Fox TV says YEE-HAW!!
            by Truth
            Well, Fox has done it again. In Minnesota, Fox has decided to show the Rodeo instaed of the Rams today. Mind you, the Rams vs Chargers game is the only late game for Fox. I just sent them an email asking why they would do that. They can't tell me that the Rodeo is a greater draw than the NFL.

I'd encourage all Rams fans to drop Fox a line.

-10-29-2006, 07:24 AM
          • 39thebeast
            Fox slaps us in the face
            by 39thebeast
            We were being beat so badly fox switched to the Green Bay Minnesota game. If that wasn't a slap to all rams fans i don't know what is. Common 7 to 35 i have seen worse and they haven't changed games.
            -09-30-2007, 12:57 PM
          • RamsFan16
            Rams, KTVI-TV, Fox 2 Partner On Multi-Year Deal
            by RamsFan16
            Rams, KTVI-TV, Fox 2 Partner On Multi-Year Deal
            Saturday, April 29, 2006

ST. LOUIS – The Rams and KTVI, FOX 2 have signed a multi-year deal for a broad range of televisions programs and coverage. The programming will center on the Rams pre-season games and the Scott Linehan Coach’s Show. Several special event shows will support the Rams year-round presence in St. Louis, beginning with the 2006 Draft, training camp and the Rams kick-off event in September. FOX 2 will also broadcast a pre-season show before each pre-season game.

“The Rams are pleased to announce our exclusive local programming platform with KTVI, FOX 2 to supplement the national NFL/FOX television package,” said Rams President John Shaw. “This multi-year agreement demonstrates the collective commitment of the Rams and KTVI, FOX 2 to the St. Louis community and our loyal fans.”

FOX 2 kicked off its Rams coverage Saturday, April 29, with its live Draft Day Special starting at 6 p.m. Sports Director Martin Kilcoyne hosted this exclusive behind-the-scenes look at draft day, talking Rams fans inside the war room for insight from players and coaches.

“FOX 2 is thrilled to partner with the Rams in bringing the St. Louis fans the best in Rams coverage,” said Spencer Koch, vice president and general manager of FOX 2. “With the Coach Linehan Show, special programs throughout the preseason, four preseason games, plus 13 out of 16 regular season games, the fans will know where to turn for complete coverage from the ‘Home of the Rams.”
            -04-30-2006, 10:36 PM
          Working...
          X