SI's Silver has a good idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SI's Silver has a good idea?

I just read this story....kinda makes sense. The Saints were not going to be in NO for long even before the Hurricane hit, and if this idea was to be implemented in the right way, it would help the NO area economy for years to come.
    My revision of the idea:
    Tear down the Superdome. The League and each team should contribute some amount to build a new stadium in the area. The city that ends up with the Saints franchise should already have a stadium in place:instead of a new stadium in the Saint's new home, they should use that money in part to help rebuild in NO.
    Instead of millions of dollars trickling in each football season from the local NO economy, a weeklong Superbowl bash would pump well over a hundred million dollars into the NO economy, but the money would be coming from all over the US. This would allow the local money to go to the effort of rebuilding, not entertainment. The stadium would also be used for other things, such as concerts, etc., which would also generate money. In the future, when the population of New Orleans can focus on things other than recovery from this disaster, the NFL can give preference to an expansion team to the city. The Saints name and records should belong to NO, much as took place with the Browns.
    I know this is not a total solution, but it is a way to give the city a boost economically, allowing them to focus on rebuilding thier lives, and giving hope to the future.
    Opinions?
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ina/index.html
    temp_4394_1467243487543_20
    RAMS!

Re: SI's Silver has a good idea?

I think thoughs are all good ideas,but a football team is way down the list in prioities for N.O.I hope the Saints do well this year for a moral boost.That would be great for the people to have something to cheer about.
    If the Saints leave N.O.I think the city should keep the the name ala Houston and cleaveland.
    Now what would the Saints be called and where would they go?
    How About Baton Rouge Banjos
    Shriveport Shine comes to mind.
    I wonder if they would keep the same colors.
    In my opinion,I think they should use other stadiums on a temp. basis untill they can return to the Big Easy.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamDez
      Any word if?
      by RamDez
      The New Orleans Saints will play? or where they will play?
      :sad:
      -08-31-2005, 03:37 PM
    • ramsbruce
      Terry Bradshaw interested in buying Saints
      by ramsbruce
      Associated Press

SHREVEPORT, La. -- Hall of Fame quarterback Terry Bradshaw said Wednesday he wants to put a potential ownership group together that would attempt to buy the New Orleans Saints and keep them in Louisiana, where Bradshaw grew up.

"I'm supporting the citizens of Louisiana who don't deserve to lose the Saints because of a hurricane," said Bradshaw, who starred for Louisiana Tech before winning four Super Bowls with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Bradshaw, now an NFL analyst for the Fox network, was in Shreveport for his induction into the city's Walk of Stars. He also viewed the installation of the first sign marking the new "Terry Bradshaw Passway" on Shreveport's inner highway loop.

Bradshaw told The Times of Shreveport that he doesn't have the money to buy the team himself. He said he has sought out additional investors, but did not name them. He is not sure whether Saints owner Tom Benson is interested selling at this time, however.

"I have pursued other avenues to find out if Mr. Benson would be interested in selling the Saints," Bradshaw said. "I had to make sure I lined up the money. You've got to find out what Mr. Benson wants first."

Benson has said he would prefer to keep the Saints in New Orleans but does not know if the city can support it. NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue has joined in discussions between the Saints and the Louisiana governor's office.

The Saints have relocated temporarily to San Antonio since the storm. They've played two games there and a third is scheduled in December.

But last week, Benson agreed to move back two crucial deadlines in the team's Louisiana Superdome lease with the state. An attorney for the Superdome, Larry Roedel, said this week that moving the deadlines all but guaranteed the Saints will play a 2006 schedule in Louisiana. He added that he has received assurances to that effect from the NFL, although the NFL has yet to confirm that publicly.

"We are focused on the Saints in Louisiana, including possible arrangements for their home playing schedule in 2006. No decisions have been made," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said.

Roedel said he planned to meet this week with Saints representatives to work on new contract language.

The agreed upon contractual change would push back from Nov. 27 a provision giving the Saints the option to break their contract with the state because the Superdome was not fit for football after being damaged by Hurricane Katrina. That deadline has been pushed back to Jan. 15, 2007.

The change would also extend a March 31, 2006, deadline in the current agreement that gives the Saints the right to move to another city after this season by paying back $81 million in direct subsidies the team received from the state during the first four years of a 10-year,...
      -11-09-2005, 06:20 PM
    • fearlessone
      Letter from Saints owner Tom Benson
      by fearlessone
      AN OPEN LETTER TO OUR FANS IN LOUISIANA AND THE GULF COAST

An open letter to our fans Louisiana and the Gulf Coast, written by Saints Owner Tom Benson. This letter appeared in a full-page ad in Wednesday's editions of the New Orleans Times-Picayune and the Baton Rouge Advocate and will appear again in Friday's editions.

OPEN LETTER TO OUR FANS IN LOUISIANA AND THE GULF COAST

TOM BENSON WANTS TO RETURN TO NEW ORLEANS.

I WAS BORN IN NEW ORLEANS, WENT TO SCHOOL AT OUR LADY STAR OF THE SEA NEAR ST. ROCH PARK IN THE 8TH WARD, ATTENDED ST. ALOYISOUS HIGH SCHOOL, AND ATTENDED LOYOLA UNIVERSITY. NEW ORLEANS IS MY HOMETOWN.

IT IS MY INTENTION AND GOAL THAT MY GRANDCHILDREN WILL CARRY ON MY LEGACY OF OWNING THE NEW ORLEANS SAINTS. BOTH ARE CURRENTLY AND ACTIVELY INVOLVED IN THE OPERATION OF THE SAINTS. RITA BENSON LEBLANC IS A KEY EXECUTIVE AND HER BROTHER IS A SAINTS ADVISOR AND BOTH ACT AS DIRECTORS.

THE PAST FEW WEEKS HAVE BEEN DIFFICULT TO SAY THE LEAST. HOWEVER, IN SPITE OF THE DIFFICULTIES, I HAVE MADE AND WILL CONTINUE TO MAKE MILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN CONTRIBUTIONS ANNUALLY TO NEW ORLEANS CHARITIES, WHICH IN MY OPINION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN EVER FOR OUR COMMUNITY.

ON NUMEROUS OCCASIONS I HAVE REFUSED LUCRATIVE OFFERS TO SELL THE SAINTS IN ORDER TO MAINTAIN THEIR PRESENCE IN NEW ORLEANS.

HOWEVER, WE HAD NO CHOICE BUT TO MOVE OUR OPERATIONS SINCE FEDERAL AND STATE AUTHORITIES TOOK OVER OUR TRAINING FACILITY IN NEW ORLEANS WITHOUT NOTICE OR PERMISSION. THE ONLY OTHER CHOICE WAS TO FORGO THE SEASON.

After reviewing the reports about our team and the abundance of wide-sweeping negative media commentary and columns, I offer this:

NO DECISION HAS BEEN MADE ABOUT THE FUTURE OF THE TEAM, because no decision has been made about the future of New Orleans. Our city endured one of the worst catastrophes in history and I clearly stated in the days following that it is our desire to be at the table during the rebuilding and revitalization of our city. However, there are many factors that will affect the future of our team, the same factors that will affect the future of many other companies when faced with the decision to return to the city of New Orleans. No one within our organization has offered or made any official comment about what our long term plans are, since the factors that will determine our situation are still unresolved. That is why we have not stated anything publicly, because it is still too early to determine. But my desire is to return to New Orleans.

It must be stated that we and the NFL have made no decision relative to the future of the Saints. It is remarkable that we have been able to continue operating under the circumstances, a testament to our staff and the assistance we have received in San Antonio as well as Baton Rouge.

San Antonio is a city in which I have deep...
      -10-26-2005, 11:38 AM
    • AvengerRam_old
      As usual, Joe Horn doesn't get it, while Ernie Conwell does.
      by AvengerRam_old
      Joe Horn is angry that the league "patronized" the Saints by calling their game in New York a "home game."

Who cares?

Of all the problems arising from the Hurricane Katrina tragedy, the plight of the Saints is so comparatively unimportant that it shouldn't even be mentioned. And, while Horn has done his share of helping try to raise the spirit of the evacuees, he needs to learn a little discretion when a microphone is in his vicinity.

What you should have said, Joe, is "we look forward to the day when we can return to playing in the city of New Orleans before its great citizens."

Meanwhile, teammate Ernie Conwell, the team representative, advised front office that the players decided to turn down an offer to divide approximately $500,000 between the players to compensate them for their relocation expenses as the team makes San Antonio its temporary home. Instead, the money was, at Conwell's suggestion, divided among the team's staff (who earn a fraction of the league minimum).
      -09-21-2005, 09:43 AM
    • MauiRam
      Before Goodell metes out any punishments he should watch and listen to this ..
      by MauiRam
      NFL Video - NFL - FOX Sports on MSN

If any of the mods know how to embed this video, please feel free to do so ..
      -03-06-2012, 10:14 AM
    Working...
    X