Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More problems for Warner..

http://webadmin.stltoday.com/stltoda...e?OpenDocument

I'll post more if I find anything...This MAY be a kinda *psych* job, but it sure as hell makes me uneasy!

bernie's press box

Name: BernieM
    Date: 01/24/2002
    Time: 05:08:09 PM
    Category:
    Subject: A Reminder

It's panic city in here, and elsewhere

Understandable, but...

Let's keep it straight as far as what happened today.

The problem wasn't the rib.

It was the TREATMENT of the rib.

The treatment backfired.

This electro-stimulation is normal, conventional therapy. They were giving it to Warner the way they give it to all players. Just a way to promote healing.

For some reason, he had an adverse reaction to it.

So his rib condition wasn't "worse than we were led to believe."

The condition hasn't changed.

He had some spasms as a direct result of the treatment, and rather than see him alter his throwing motion and risk another physical setback, they wisely shut him down.

Cheers,
    Bernie

MAY MAY

This wouldn't have happen if Mad Martz took him out the 4th qtr. I hope nothing serious.
    Thanks Mike:mad:

Comment

No big deal. If he wasn't hurt in that bad in the first place, the treatment isn't going to hurt the rib. And if he had an adverse reaction to the treatment, the reaction won't last long.

He'll be fine.

Comment

Yes Martz should have taken him out but let's stay positive. We can't go back now, we can only go forward and bring the championship back to St. Louis.

Hang in there Kurt, we are all keeping our fingers crossed for you. We know you can do it this weekend

Comment

Kurt will be fine.He is a very spiritual person and while I am not a bible beater, I think Warner is sincere in his beliefs.I just have a gut feeling Kurt will be more than ready on Sunday.He is a warrior and I pray that he will be at his best.More than that,I hope the front line protects him like they have never protected him before.

:angryram: GO RAMS! STAY FOCUSED! WIN!:shield:
          ST.LOUIS RAMS:THE MOST FRUSTRATING TEAM IN THE NFL!!!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
            A bunch of Bernie posts
            by RamWraith
            Work done by RubbersSoul

BernieM wrote:
            In today's column I mentioned Warner's legacy -- that he made all of those gloomy football seasons in St. Louis disappear, and replaced them with precious moments and memories.

In the short term, he has another legacy: the Rams' starting QB in the next few years will be held to a preposterous standard. No question, Bulger needs to play better. As I wrote in here from minicamp, his arm on the deep balls remains weak and I get ticked off just watching it.

But overall, Bulger is at about where he should be (and he's pretty good) for a QB still finding his way in this league. But because Warner played at such unbelievable heights from 1999-2001, Bulger will be measured against that. Is that fair? Probably doesn't matter -- it's sports. It's just the way it is. Ironically, even Warner fell short -- way short -- of meeting those standards himself, once the injuries took their toll. Warner wasn't Warner, either....and yet some demand that Bulger be the Warner of 1999, 2000 and 2001. Kind of silly if you ask me. Ain't gonna happen. So Bulger should be judged on his own merits.

Cheers,
            Bernie

BernieM wrote:

You're right; Martz does "spin" on Warner.

It's been a long time since Martz and Warner had a truly good relationship, so I always discount MM's warm and fuzzy comments about Kurt.

Bottom line is, it all started to fall apart when Kurt's hand became something he couldn't overcome. It started the domino effect. If Warner could still throw it consistently like he once did, and if he could get settled in the pocket again without freaking, none of this would have happened. The Rams and Martz invested a ton of money in Kurt and had no reason to want him to fail. By going this way, they've got millions invested in two QBs, Warner and Bulger, and that hurts their cap.

Cheers,
            Bernie

BernieM wrote:
            Bulger is capable of throwing the deep pass. We saw it in 2002. It frustrates me to see him sputter in this area. I think it's in his head. He's thinking too much about technique instead of letting it rip.

In another follow up, as I've said many times, Bulger needs to play better. Cut down on mistakes, most of all.

But only a fool would expect him to play as well as Warner did from 1999-2001.

Cheers,
            Bernie

BernieM wrote:
            It isn't a matter of Kurt's hand being healed.
            It will never be healed, really. Not in the traditional sense.
            That's because the problem -- as I continually write -- is an arthritic-like condition in his right thumb. That never heals. It's just a question of when it flares up, and how it limits him when it does flare up. Some days, his grip is fine. Other days, it isn't.

I dig the Martz bashing on this...
            -06-04-2004, 09:47 AM
          • AvengerRam_old
            How the "Warner Bashers" Really Feel
            by AvengerRam_old
            I've seen the terms "Warner Bashers" and "Warner Haters" thrown around quite a bit on these boards. The truth is, though, I have never come accross a Ram fan who seeks to "bash" Warner or who "hates" Warner.

Rather, what most of us who have been assigned with this label do "bash" and do "hate" is the neverending, mind-boggling, bordering on psychotic, cult-hero worship, whining that some fans continue to engage in over Kurt Warner's departure.

So, to avoid any confusion in the future, here is how I feel and, I believe, how most of the "Warner Bashers" feel about the subject.

1. Kurt Warner will always have a special place in the hearts of Ram fans. His play from 1999-2001 was an integral part of the Rams' success over that span, as well as the Super Bowl win.

2. While we were disappointed to see him decline in 2002 and lose his job in 2003, we disagree with those who believe that the team made an error in transitioning to Marc Bulger. Although Kurt demonstrated this year that he still can play, at this point, we believe Marc Bulger is the right choice for the team.

3. We do not completely agree with the "Martz as villain viewpoint" with respect to Kurt Warner. While Martz did send mixed signals and seemed to contradict his own statements regarding his intentions during 2002-03, Warner also played a role in his own departure by making statements that alienated him from the team, allowing his wife to do so as well, and being less than forthcoming (or, alternatively, deluding himself) regarding his physical condition at times. It was a bad situation all around, and needed to end.

4. Some of us believe now that Martz should be replaced. That does not, however, mean that we believe that has anything whatsoever to do with Kurt Warner.

Like it or not, that is how we feel.

And one final thing which needs to be addressed:

5. Its time to move on. Kurt has been gone for a full season, and he's not coming back. He is not relevant to discussions about the current team any more than the 1,000,000,000 other "what ifs" that could be posed. As a result, we find it annoying when people try to inject his name into every conversation, regardless of the subject matter.

So, that's it. That's how we feel. If you want to call us "Warner Bashers," go ahead. Some people have no regard for the truth.
            -12-28-2004, 10:32 AM
          • ramsanddodgers
            Kurt Warner Silences Mike Martz and His Media Lapdog Bernie Miklasz
            by ramsanddodgers

With Arizona Cardinal quarterback Kurt Warner preparing for next Sunday's Super Bowl and with the entire nation taking measure of his phenomenal back-to-back seasons in the desert, football fans must wonder, "How could the Rams have parted ways with a quarterback who possesses such special talents?"

Five years after his release from the Rams, this topic is still as controversial and white-hot as ever...And until the story is addressed honestly, it won't be going away anytime soon.

At the center of the storm are two questionable characters—former Rams head coach Mike Martz and St. Louis sportswriter Bernie Miklasz. In the early 2000s, Martz and Miklasz forged a mutually-beneficial relationship.

Martz routinely gave Miklasz exclusive access to his inner thoughts, and in return Miklasz delivered favorable Monday-morning analysis. The coach/reporter relationship became so incestuous, that Miklasz was even widely referred to as Martz's "Lapdog."

And when Mike Martz set out to run Kurt Warner out of St. Louis, he enlisted the aid of his friend Bernie Miklasz. A head coach cannot push a two-time MVP QB with a Super Bowl ring to the curb without some media cover. His friend Bernie was more than happy to deliver.

Under the guise of "objective reporting", Miklasz regurgitated a series of Martz's paranoid rants against Kurt Warner across the sports page, giving Martz all the cover he needed to get rid of Kurt and replace him with Marc Bulger. Today, replacing Warner with Bulger sounds like a ridiculous concept, but yes—it actually happened.

As a general rule, NFL coaches and management speak no ill of their players abilities or health—a wise business approach to maintaining their trade value. Yet Martz, through Miklasz, saw to it that Warner was portrayed as washed up and possessing a "crippled claw" throwing hand.

Not only was it bad business, it turned out to be a petty and vindictive attempt to end Warner's career.

And the results were indeed damaging. Warner was exiled to New York where fans were calling for No. 1 draft pick and "quarterback of the future" Eli Manning before Warner ever took the field.

And despite leading a terrible 2004 Giant team to a 5-4 record and despite becoming the Giant QB with the highest completion percentage in franchise history (that record still holds today), Warner was still benched. With Eli Manning at QB, the Giants finished the season 1-6, wholly validating Warner's accomplishments with a team in rebuilding mode.

Then, with a still-tarnished reputation, courtesy of the Martz/Miklasz fabrications, Warner could only find work at the least successful franchise in the history of the NFL—the Arizona Cardinals.

And in true Bidwillian fashion, his talents...
            -01-28-2009, 10:25 PM
          • RamWraith
            Warner says it best
            by RamWraith
            now can we also follow the great ones lead???

Warner also said he leaves with no ill will.

"I'm indebted to the Rams," he said. "They're the one and only team to give me an opportunity, and to be in the position I'm in now, I have no animosity at all.

"I'll be forever grateful. I leave there with a lot of strong feelings, and that won't diminish."

In fact, Warner is not leaving the city yet. His stay in New York could be only one year as mentor for Eli Manning, so he'll continue to live in St. Louis until he finds a longterm football home elsewhere.

Warner also said half of his charitable foundation, "First Things First," will remain in St. Louis.
            -06-03-2004, 04:35 PM
          • txramsfan
            Rabid's Rants on Warner
            by txramsfan
            I just read the Rabid's Rants this week, and do agree with him to a certain extent. 18 INT's for any QB is high, extremely high. However, certain circumstances have been the cause for some of these.

1. Warner's thumb. It still hasn't been right since he hurt it. The deep ball is MIA really this year, but I believe Martz is as close to Woody Hayes as Bill Clinton is to George W. Completely different individuals.

2. Martz's play calling. MM abandonded the run in early games this year way to quickly, i.e. NO and TB at home. Anytime you come out slinging 15 or so pass plays to start the game, conventional thinking on INT's is out the window.

3. Tipped passes. How many of these INT's have come from passes that the WR's have let go through their hands and right into the deep corners? At least 4 I can think of.

One thing noticeable recently about the change in Warner is MM's prodding for Warner to move a little more. I watched the Fox Sports Special on Warner and he moved quite a bit in the Arena League. He wasn't Flutie, but he wasn't Jim Hart either.

I think Martz is addressing the Warner situation because no one else was banging the drum for Warner. Everyone was talking Favre, K. Stewart, or Garcia, but Warner just kept winning. Shoot, he has directed the Rams to a 12-2 record and perfect on the road.

I think the INT's can be reduced by both Warner throwing the ball away when nothing is there instead of trying to thread the needle everytime. Also, we have seen an increase in the running game lately, causing D's to play us closer. Both Warner and Martz can be blamed for the INT's, but I don't think he wants to grab Warners facemask and shake it anytime soon.
            -12-29-2001, 11:32 AM
          Working...
          X