Mike Martz...great O C....bad HEAD COACH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Martz...great O C....bad HEAD COACH

Ok ...we are all in mourning today. What a shamefull experience. I have nothing but LOVE for this team...and have for nearly 30 yrs...but Mike Martz is NOT a good HEAD COACH! Who among us COULD NOT SEE that the pass protection(Jones out,Tucker and Pace banged up) was NOT WORKING yesterday
    ?? Who among us COULD NOT SEE that OUR BEST PLAYER WAS NOT GETTING THE BALL ENOUGH!!!!!
    Gimme a BREAK MIKE!!! We have the acknowledged BEST PLAYER IN THE GAME and he gets 17 carries in THE SUPER BOWL...with the passing game having a TOUGH DAY???? The man was averaging nearly 4.5 yds per carry!!! He was DUE to break off a BIG ONE at ANY MOMENT!!! 17 CARRIES?? I dont get it...Im sorry...YOU NEED TO ADJUST!!! When the tackles are banged up and they are getting pressure from the corners ITS TIME TO GASH THE MIDDLE. The couple times they ran right at them we saw good things happen. Then it was PASS PASS PASS. No disprespect to New England but 8 games out of 10 they ARE NOT the better team,didnt we beat them in THEIR HOUSE? If Faulk sees 31 carries(or anything close to it) as in the EAGLE game...I see them HOISTING THE GOLDEN FOOTBALL...AGAIN! Sure there are other things that went wrong but STEVIE WONDER could have seen the OBVIOUS and made the adjustment in the GAME PLAN. Dont get me wrong...I dont want to see Mike go...hes an offensive genius and has revolutionized the game to a degree...but he has shown REPEATEDLY that he is NOT a good GAME DAY head coach. Poor clock/timeout use...bizarre use of the replay challenges...leaving STARTERS in BLOWOUTS...and a real UNWILLINGNESS to adjust the game plan. Damn shame that it came down to this. Had they fed MARSHALL the damn ball I dont think we are enduring this today. As a side note...who isnt sick of seeing DEXTER(TOAST)McCLEON getting BURNT in EVERY GAME??
    What a WEAK LINK. If he doesnt get BURNT he gets FLAGGED. Smear penut butter on him and send him packin. Sorry...just have to vent.:angryram: Theres still a bright future!!:shield:
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

You are wrong.

Agreed, Faulk could have seen a few more carries but come on, Mike Martz isn't a very good head coach? That sounds a bit like a pissed off fan, as I was last night.

Martz does things differently and when they game plan, they certainly start with Marshall Faulk. Faulk is unquestioned as the best player in the game today. Yes, he should have gotten the ball more, but come on, that doesn't make Martz a bad head coach.

The Patriots brought pressure without a lot of blitzes, that was the key. On the first interception, the right tackle missed a block and Warner should have taken the sack instead of throwing it. Experience, however shows us that he usually completes that pass. Bad luck? I suppose.

Give it up for the Patriots, the lesser team won and they flat out earned it. They wanted the game more than the Rams and it was VERY apparent early on.

I hate people jumping on a bandwagon and blaming and pointing fingers at who and why. It's a game, without the three turnovers, the Rams win. Coach Martz simply cannot control turnovers and it's their achilles heal. High risk, high reward. We just got the short end of the stick.

Great game, sad it's over, but watch out next year, we'll be back.

GO RAMS !!!

Great season, I don't even miss Tony Banks and June Henley.

Comment

There is room for improvement

I agree with the fact that Martz can not be faulted (totally) with mistakes. But he still should have recognized the need to keep the D honest and at least try to run the ball. Otherwise the D line just tee's off and bull rushes the Q-back which happened.

The better coached team won yesterday.

We will be back next year. The core of the team will be intact and we should learn from these experiences.

Comment

Big up to RochesterRam from the Limey in Rochester, England.
        Your right, Martz does need to learn.
        But I honestly wouldn't swap him for any other coach in the NFL.

Comment

Outcoached

Mike Martz was clearly outcoached in the Superbowl. How can you have the best RB in the league and not involve him in the most important game of the season. You would think that he may have learned that by now.

Every time the RAMS get behind all he wants to do is throw the ball in the air.

I do admire Mike for being a coach that "Thinks Outside The Box", but sometimes you need to do things the traditional way.

Also, Dexter needs to go!!!!! Hes our weakest link. He gets burned every play it seems like. The touchdown the Pats got was the same play PHILLY did on us.

Lastly, I admire LOVIE for what hes done. But ive just never been a big fan of the "PREVENT" type defense. We scored and then let them drive down the field on us. Knowing that they have the best kicker in the league....

GO RAMS in 2002.....

Comment

Bad head coach?

Simple as this: Mike Martz is the best thing that has happened to the Rams in the last five years, and any coach that can take his team to the Super Bowl isn't a bad coach. Don't judge him on one game.

:shield:

Comment

the Rams are a phenomenal team in this age of mediocrity/parity.
              they just ran into the dreaded 'team of destiny'. they will be back next year with a vengeance. the pats will end up on the scrap heap with the rest of the one-year wonders.

Comment

Comparisons

Mike Martz......You know this guy is one hell of a coach. True you take issue with his use of Marshall Faulk at times, keep in mind that Marshall has set the NFL record for TD's in one season, Won an NFL MVP award, and Offensive player of the year (two years in a row), under Mike Martz. When you complain about Martz, don't forget to look at the successes, while you over-analyze the failures.

The media has compared this Super Bowl with the Jets-Colts match thirty some years ago. Joe Namath was the Tom Brady of that game. Remember that the Colts, led by Johnny Unitas came back a year or two later and won a Superbowl in their own right. The Jets have never been back to the big dance.

Comment

This isn't pre 99 season

I recall the flap over Dick V. after the 98 season and before that unbelievable 99 season. People in St. Louis were ready to run him and the rest of his geriatric coaching squad out of town.
                  Thank goodness he stayed that extra year (along with his not so old offensive coordinator).

Mike Matz is one of the best things to happen to this team. We wouldn't be where we are if it wasn't for his vision and the mix of players he has to use.

I have said to many people up here in the north country, that there is a fine line between genius and insanity. Mad Mike fits this cliche. Who leaves the starters in in blowouts as often as him?
                  Who appologizes after losses that he actually didn't realize that a player (of hte stature of Faulk or Warner) was still in the game :v)
                  But who else has ever coached a team that has scored over 500 points three years straight?

Mike is a genius, I just feel that there is room for better game management (truely great golfers are great because of course management).
                  Then we will have Max Q.

Go Rams in '02!

Comment

Mike

As I said...I wouldnt want the guy to go BUT...Im NOT judging him on ONE GAME. The things Ive pointed out have occurred REPEATEDLY over the last 2 years. By the way...HOW MANY TITLES DO THE RAMS HAVE UNDER(head coach)MIKE MARTZ?? I acknowledge he is an OFFENSIVE GENIUS... BUT... there are other facets to this game...AND... you need to have your team PREPARED and be able to ADJUST to what the opposition is showing/giving you. I simply see things being MISMANAGED on several occasions. This team is TOO GOOD to be coming up short in back to back seasons. The window for greatness is not everlasting...as TRUE LONG TIME RAM FANS know. Youve got to SEAL THE DEAL when you get to these big games. Do ya wanna be remembered with teams like the Steelers and *****...or the Bills?? All things said...there is really NO OTHER coach for this team. Seems as though I keep WAITING for this team to play the COMPLETE,MISTAKE FREE game. I sure didnt see it Sunday. Jim Thomas(Sporting News) summed it up as well as anyone could...'Mistakes caused the Rams to lose to a LESSER TEAM'. Not all those mistakes were ON THE FIELD.:angryram: :shield: Theres always NEXT YEAR?!?
                    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Comment

I sounded alarm - no one listened

I sounded the alarm but no one "appeared" to be listening regarding Jones, Pace and Tucker. I just figured, like everyone else that Faulk, Conwell and Robinson would be used.

Regarding your "Martz" attack, please consider:

Someone needs to coach Warner to pull the ball down when he has someone in his face. Warner didn't have to throw that interception.

Even Ricky Proehl can cough it up when hit with a helmet at full bore. Martz wasn't a recevier on that play.

The RAMS defense only played for 58:30, just like old times. Smith, not Martz called the alignments for the last stand.

Did anyone notice that the PATS seemed as fast or faster than the RAM? Anyone notice they seemed to hit harder? Anyone notice that the Rams were outplayed the entire game?

:ram:

Comment

Re: Bad head coach?

Originally posted by Evil Disco Man
                        Simple as this: Mike Martz is the best thing that has happened to the Rams in the last five years, and any coach that can take his team to the Super Bowl isn't a bad coach. Don't judge him on one game.

:shield:
                        Dick Vermeil is the best thing that has happened to the Rams in the last five years! Martz took a ride on his coattails. If Vermeil was still head coach the Rams would be celebrating their 2nd (possibly third) Lombardi Trophy.

Comment

Interesting

Hmmmm.....Interesting take.

Dick "the town cryer" Vermeil was not a bad thing that happened to this team, he was very good. Change is good and he was the beginning of the change. Martz carried it on to the next logical step. And hopefully he will continue to evolve as a coach and accept that change (even during a specific football game :v) ) is a good thing.

Comment

Dynasty?

This team is very much reminiscent of the 1988-90 Oakland A's: thoroughly dominant for three seasons, but only one title to show for it.

Vermeil had class. Martz has a brilliant offensive mind, but this team was way too ****y going into the big game.

Comment

Wow, what a filter! The deleted word I used in my previous post is a synonym for rooster

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
                                It's come to pass: Martz discovers a running game
                                by RamWraith
                                By Bryan Burwell
                                Of the Post-Dispatch
                                10/04/2004

Just before he walked out of the cramped visitors' locker room inside Monster Park Sunday night with a much-needed victory in his pocket, Marc Bulger paused for a moment to recognize the obvious. Something extra had happened on that perfectly manicured grass field of old Candlestick Park, something even more substantial than a mere victory over the pitiful *****.

"I think we got a little credibility back," Bulger said.

With a national television audience watching - and probably anticipating (perhaps even hoping for) a big, fat embarrassing Rams meltdown - the Rams had reclaimed no small measure of personal, professional and local pride. The pro football world is filled with all sorts of buttoned-down, less adventurous folks would have liked nothing more than to have seen Bulger's audacious boss Mike Martz get a little comeuppance on national TV.

But within a blink of an eye, the Rams ruined all those plans. They took complete control of the night, broke out to an emphatic 24-0 first-half lead and gave the unbeaten Seahawks something substantial to ponder as they prepare for next weekend's big showdown in Seattle.

At last tossing aside his pass-happy, run-thin philosophy, Martz put together the sort of well-balanced, clock-controlling attack that might be able to put the 2-2 Rams back into serious contention against Seattle (3-0) in the NFC West.

The Rams did everything a good and smart football team is supposed to do in plundering the *****. Martz pragmatically used every one of his offensive weapons of mass destruction. He called running plays when the ***** were looking for passes. He called passes when they were stacking up to stop the run. Instead of fast and furious, he gave us choice blend. Instead of stubborn insistence on guns blazing, he chose a more surgical approach.

But I'm a pessimist by nature. And even as I kept watching Marshall Faulk galloping all over Monster Park, a little voice in my head kept whispering:

"How long will this last?"

We've been to this party too many times before. We all know that just as often as he takes two steps forward, he's just as likely to take three steps back with a few one-dimensional air shows like he did against the Falcons and Saints.

So again, that's why I keep hearing that little voice.

"How long will this last?"

So as a public service, I think it is important that we again bombard Mad (or is it Methodical?) Mike with some valuable numbers to look at in case he gets that predictable urge to stray from running the ball, particularly when some manic defensive coordinator plots out endless strategies to take Faulk out of the game.

Remember Mike, statistics don't lie. Putting the ball in Faulk's hands is still the surest...
                                -10-05-2004, 01:32 PM
                              • RamWraith
                                Martz put his credibility on the line with latest ploy
                                by RamWraith
                                BY BERNIE MIKLASZ
                                Post-Dispatch Sports Columnist
                                Friday, Nov. 12 2004

Mike Martz, playing the role of Bear Bryant?

The casting, to say the least, is unusual. But with Martz, we should never be
                                surprised. The NFL's most fascinating and quirky head coach was at it again
                                this week at Rams Park.

Leave it to Martz to conduct a psychology experiment in the middle of a season.
                                This player-friendly coach cracked down on his players, publicly calling them
                                out for their lackluster play. Then he put the boys through a tough,
                                full-contract practice, which went against his previous coaching standards.

It's good to see Martz morph into "Mad Mike" in a different way. We'll see if
                                the motivational ploy works on Sunday against the visiting Seattle Seahawks.

A few observations:

* The Rams' primary problem is a decline in overall talent. The offensive
                                line, neglected in the draft, is mediocre. The defense has only one player,
                                pass-rusher Leonard Little, consistently capable of altering a game with
                                big-play moments. Poor drafts are the root cause of the erosion in personnel.
                                The Rams have missed on too many premium picks. Period.

* If Martz wants a tougher and more physical team, fine. But you're supposed
                                to cultivate that attitude in training camp. It's difficult to transform a
                                team's personality over a few days. The culture must be gradually changed over
                                a period of time.

* Martz has, to an extent, put his credibility on the line as never before. By
                                going off on his players, he's gambling that they'll respond in a positive way.
                                But suppose the psychological tactic fails, and the same old Rams show up on
                                Sunday? He could lose the respect of his players. And then he could lose the
                                team.

As Others See Us

Bob Oates, Los Angeles Times, says that Martz should forget about the running
                                game, be himself, and air it out:

"Through three years and two Super Bowls, Coach Mike Martz has shown that he's
                                the best passing coach football has yet seen, but, now, he wants to integrate
                                running plays with pass plays and can't find the right recipe. In their big
                                years, the Rams didn't need a running game. And now, every week, they're
                                proving that they still don't understand the problem. Thus, Martz has been
                                operating a schizoid offense. Running the ball when defenses expect a run, he
                                bulks up with tight ends and blocking backs. Then, passing the ball when
                                defenses expect him to pass, he takes out the beef and inserts more speed.

"The result is that, at the start of most of their offensive series, the Rams
                                -- instead of passing...
                                -11-13-2004, 06:42 AM
                              • RamWraith
                                QBs, Faulk help Martz with game planning
                                by RamWraith
                                By Jeff Reynolds
                                Pro Football Weekly

Many things in life are about being in the right place at the right time: Bill Belichick in New England, John Elway in Denver, Marshall Faulk in St. Louis. Finding the appropriate fit at the start has all the bearing in the world on who shows up at the finish line.

"It really comes down to having the right people," Rams coach Mike Martz said of assembling a great team, specifically an offense. "That's what the NFL is. It sounds simple, but that is what you spend all of your days doing, getting the right players and the right coaches."

The lone sign hanging in the Rams' locker room at the Edward Jones Dome offers insight into what Martz asks of his club. It reads: "Give of yourself completely, ask nothing in return and excellence will be yours."

In order to reach Mount Olympus, Martz believes he needs players to see themselves as much more.

"Everyone is caught up in plays and system," said Raiders coach Norv Turner, another disciple of former Rams and Cowboys coordinator Ernie Zampese. "The No. 1 thing you need to do as a coach is evaluation of the players you have find out the things they do best and create situations for them to do it. We learned from Ernie: Do everything you can to get your people to produce at the highest level."

Before Kurt Warner, for any number of reasons, went from two-time league MVP to ex-Ram, he was generating ideas and dissecting defenses. He imparted that knowledge to Martz, who used Warner's eyes to create a less predictable system. Warner could see exactly how players would react to certain personnel, formation changes, shifts and adjustments. Before coaches could decipher what a defense was doing, Warner had taken possible adjustments to Martz.

"Kurt knew instantly, and you see it with [current Rams starting quarterback Marc Bulger], the strength and weakness of a defense, what our protection should be and where the ball should go," Martz said. "Not to the point of being programmed or that those things were predetermined. Even if he hadn't walked through it, he knew how to deal with it. When a quarterback gets to that level, that's when you get creative. Things get fun fast. Now you call plays you've never practiced. We were on the sideline, saying, 'OK, let's give him a two-route, take a seven-step and look for this and this.'"

The eureka moment for Bulger came last season at Seattle in the midst of a furious comeback Oct. 10.

"He's getting to where Kurt was intellectually," Martz said of Bulger. "The thing Marc has, now, to go along with that, is a quick, dynamic delivery. He's the most accurate guy I've ever been around."

Both Warner and Bulger survived the process Martz termed "stripping...
                                -07-01-2005, 01:06 PM
                              • txramsfan
                                Running Game % at 6-1
                                by txramsfan
                                We are about 5 percentage points below our offensive balance percentage when it comes to running the ball compared to the Super Bowl season. This has taken more than just a psychological effect on Warner and the sacks, the WR's are dropping balls more often it seems due to the type of pass routes across the middle and know they are going to get leveled.

When Faulk comes back, do the Rams run the ball like they have tried with Canidate, or does Faulk's receiving abilities make it so much more attractive for Martz to throw? Not sure, I think we need to run more.

Suggestions?
                                -11-03-2001, 05:54 PM
                              • RamWraith
                                Martz does things his own way--ESPN Insider
                                by RamWraith
                                By Jeff Reynolds
                                Pro Football Weekly

ST. LOUIS It's June 1, and the temperature, climbing above 85 degrees on a cloudless day at a tucked-away corporate park west of St. Louis, creates the slightest haze outside the oversized windows at Rams Park.

The blinds, tilted upward in his second-floor corner office, rob Rams head coach Mike Martz of a view of an empty practice field and a justifiably quiet blacktop parking lot.

Even in a navy and gray floral printed polo shirt embroidered with the logo of a past golf tournament, Martz portrays perfectly the image of a studious football coach. Angling toward the front edge of his mahogany U-shaped desk, Martz shifts an iced Diet Pepsi to the right to uncover a bound, double-sided printout. The standard white, 8-by-11-inch paper stands about two inches thick, lying flat in Martz's outstretched hand.

"Third-down plays we had ready and never called," Martz says, a sense of dissatisfaction in his voice. "We don't have a playbook. We have a book with the system in it as described with some of the base offense. If you put everything together on that top rack , that is about half of what we do. It's never-ending."

Mike Martz has a 51-29 regular-season record as the Rams head coach.This is Mike Martz, the subject of justifiably passionate debate among football fans who can't agree whether he's brilliant, smarmy, stubborn, ignorant or some combination of those traits. The man often portrayed as a prima-donna dictator displays only pictures of his dogs, Rocky and Buddy, and his family. There is no Super Bowl ring, no glamorous display of career achievements. Nothing that says Martz is the extroverted narcissist many assume him to be.

He is asked about defensive coordinator Larry Marmie, who has been ridiculed frequently since replacing Lovie Smith, who went on to become the head coach of the Bears.

"Criticism, most often, is without understanding," Martz says in a persuasive tone, sounding like an attorney during closing arguments.

He's not back on his heels, but there is evidence in his irritatingly relaxed posture that Martz has been here before.

Many things make Martz an easy target. For one, his offense sits with some traditionalists the 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust generation as well as poetry does with a butcher. He also refuses to bother with self-defense, leading second-guessers to keep guessing. Take Super Bowl XXXVI for example, a loss that one confidant says still "haunts him" as has been widely speculated.

Smith, who worked with Martz at Arizona State, was on the St. Louis coaching staff from 2001-03 and called that game "the toughest loss I've ever been a part of."

The Rams lost to the Patriots 20-17 on a last-second field goal, and following the game, the Rams'...
                                -06-30-2005, 02:01 PM
                              Working...
                              X