Were you a Ramfan 25 years ago?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were you a Ramfan 25 years ago?

The 1976 playoff games for the Rams will never be equalled when it came to taking you on a emotional rollercoaster ride. From the greatest hi to the lowest low. check it out

http://community-2.webtv.net/THERAMS...ANNIVERSARYOF/

by the way is jessie in the endzone and is that holding on youngblood?

What a game

Don't think I could ever forget the 1976 Vikings game. On the opening drive the Rams ran on every down and gained big yards almost every time. I actually didn't see the blocked field goal and TD return for the Vikes. I couldn't bear to the play so I left the room. When I returned the the room my older brother (a Vikings fan) exclaimed "they scored a touchdown!" For a moment I thought perhaps Knox had gone for it and the Rams had scored. I was sickened to learn what had happened. I think I was po'd at Knox and Tom Dempsey (who missed and extra point in the game also) for years after this game. Several years ago I worked for a large company that hired Tom Dempsey as a sales rep for a while. He worked in a different state and I almost called him to chew him out about those kicks but decided to leave it alone. One could only speculate on what a great super bowl the Rams-Raiders would have been. Aaaarrrrrrggggggggg!

Comment

HPBADGER I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN

Rams vs Raiders in the Rose Bowl. Man, I love those teams and those players in the 70's.

Comment

Thanks for posting that. That was great to see.

I lived in Louisiana among all kinds of bandwagon Cowboy fans. God, how I hated those Landry-coached Cowboy teams in the 60s, 70s and 80s.

That 1976 divisional playoff win and the 1979 upset in Roger Staubach's last game rank as probably the two most satisfying wins in my history as a Rams fan - along with the Super Bowl win of course.

I still feel like jumping up and down and yelling when I remember Ferragamo hitting Billy Waddy with that 68 yard bomb to take the lead for good against Dallas in 1979. :ram:

Comment

Timlan

Timlan, those two Dallas wins rank with me the best. Man, we were so unlucky in the 70's in those playof games.Anyway people are complaining about the refs in the SB. look at those two pics (jessie in the endzone and holding on Youngblood) take care

Comment

Great wins! GREAT DEFENSE!!

I know I spent a lot of time on the negative (the loss to the vikings) but man ....the 76 win over Dallas was really special!
            Everyone I knew was a Cowboy fan back then and the year before we had gotten trounced 37-7 by the Cowboys (the year Knox started an injured James Harris at QB over Jaworski who was coming into the game very hot). The Rams defense was especially impressive the the win over Dallas. Come to think of it the 76 Rams defense for my money was the best ever. It was impossible to run against this defense....impossible! I know last year the Ravens got all the hype about their defense being the best ever but I would rank the 70's Rams, Steelers, and Cowboys defense ahead of them with the Vikings of that era very close. This was before specialization...with the exception of the Cowboys who used a nickel back these players were on the field for the whole game. Can anyone elaborate on this? Thank you!

Comment

I was 8 years old at the time of that game. I actually remember watching it. I understood nothing about football at the time. I just knew that the commentators were very excited. It is the first game that I remember watching. I fell in love with the rams helmets and the rest is history. I remember feeling disappointed when the rams didn't win.

Living close to the Minnesota border I am surrounded by viking fans. That game started a long disliking for the vikings on my part.

Comment

Our 70's defense

Our defense only let us down once in those playoffs of the 70's.That was the 75 NFC Championship game against Dallas. I was at that game and let me tell you dallas was so white hot they would of made God punt. Our offense, special teams and refs calls cost us.

Comment

:ram:

I'm from the Dallas area. The first Rams game I ever saw was on TV, the 1978 championship game against Dallas. LA lost 28-0, but from that day on, I knew the Rams were the team for me.

These pics are great. Wish I had been a fan at the time.

I suppose 25 years from now, people will be looking at three photos from SB 36 and saying "AAARGH!"

(1)The blow to Warner's face on the Int for a TD.
                  (2)Brady clearly in the pocket when he threw the ball out of bounds on the last drive.
                  (3)2 seconds on the clock as the field goal ended.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• general counsel
                    An emotional post about the Rams-Vikings game
                    by general counsel
                    Caveat. This post will be incredibly meaningful to the old timers on our board and probably won't mean much to our younger Rams fans.

The Rams Vikings game this sunday is bringing back countless memories of my formative years as a Rams fan. Tons of emotions swimming through my head. I started following the rams as a six year old kid in new jersey in 1968. Throughout the 1970's i was the #1 Rams fan in New Jersey (in my own mind). In those days, before the internet, before ESPN, all you got if you were a fan of an out of town team were tiny snippets of information. You got a couple of highlights here and there.

During the late 1960's and through the 1970's the Rams and vikings battled it out year after year during the regular season and in the playoffs. In the late 1960's, in Gabriel's MVP season, the Vikings held off the Rams and went to the super bowl while we were left behind. Starting in 1973, when the Rams came back to prominence and won division titles throughout the 1970's, it was always Fran Tarkenton and the Vikings (or Staubach and the Cowboys) that stood in our way of achieving the type of dominance that the Steelers established. I cried year after year after those playoff losses.

It seemed liked every year, just about this time, the Rams would play the vikings where both teams were at the top of the conference, just like now. The regular season game was a critical tie breaker because it often determined whether the california rams would have to play the vikings in the playoffs in the frigid cold of minnesota in january or whether the playoff game would happen in LA. I remember the year we finally beat them in the regular season when james harris came off the bench to lead us to victory. I remember the year we finally got home field in the playoffs and with tarkenton out, we found a way to lose to bob lee in the mud bowl. Titanic epic battles of some of the greatest defenses of all time, the purple people eaters and the great rams defenses first of the late 60's and then of the 70's. Carl Eller, Alan Page, etc, all time great players and Rams killers. Fran Tarkenton was one of the all time Rams killers. I still have dreams of olsen, youngblood and dryer chasing tarkenton around. 3rd and 11, tarkenton runs for a first down. We stop chuck foreman on the ground and then we get killed on dump of pass after dump off pass. Low scoring games, we simply couldnt throw the ball and we couldnt punch it into the end zone.

We have been so bad for so long that this sundays game is really a big one and its conjuring up all these thoughts from childhood for me. A very tough road game against a very good team, we will see how it turns out. Minnesota and New Orleans next week at home are huge games playoff wise and we will really see how far we have come. A loss this weekend is not fatal and we are (fairly in my view) underdogs. I am hoping as we all are that we can find a way to win...
                    -11-17-2017, 11:30 PM
                  • RamWraith
                    Rams' opportunities led to getting Knoxed out
                    by RamWraith
                    By Doug Krikorian, columnist
                    Updated: 01/11/2009 10:46:28 PM PST

The NFL playoffs are now in full swing, and I watch them with a detached indifference although I suspect I would have liked the San Diego Chargers to do well since, after all, they're the only team left in this part of California.

There, of course, was a time when two NFL entries were in the vicinity - the Rams and Raiders - but they bolted the scene after the 1994 season, leaving a huge professional football vacuum in the Los Angeles basin that figures to remain indefinitely.

What these playoffs do for me is inspire remembrances of those seven seasons I covered the Rams during the 1970s for the old L.A. Herald Examiner, six of which climaxed with the team performing in the playoffs.

But those teams I chronicled always experienced frustration in the postseason, and, ironically, finally made it to the Super Bowl - the 1979 Rams would lose it 31-19 to the Pittsburgh Steelers - the season after I departed the beat to become a full-time columnist.

Indeed, the Chuck Knox Rams of that period would win five straight NFC Western Division titles, and probably should have made a couple of Super Bowl appearances.

But an array of factors conspired against those ill-starred Rams, foremost of which was Knox's horrifyingly conservative game plans that were easily exploited by the two coaches, the Minnesota Vikings' Bud Grant and the Dallas Cowboys' Tom Landry, whose teams always wound up eliminating Knox's troops in the playoffs.

Knox could have been a Hall of Fame coach - his clubs were fundamentally sound, well-drilled and disciplined-but he had a stubborn streak that prevented him from reaching such exalted status.

He refused to deviate from his run-run-run, pass-only-when-you-have-to philosophy that resulted in the Rams owner at the time, Carroll Rosenbloom, finally firing Knox after the 1977 season that ended in bitter disappointment at the Coliseum in a driving rainstorm with Knox's team being upset 14-7 by the Vikings.

Grant, as he had on two previous occasions, once again got the better of Knox, even though Grant had to go with a backup quarterback named Bob Lee with Fran Tarkenton sidelined by an injury.

Despite Knox's immense regular season success with the Rams-he was 54-15-1 - Rosenbloom decided he had seen enough of Knox being outcoached in the postseason, which was certainly the case.

But I always thought Knox's fate was doomed the previous year against the Vikings in an NFC title game when he made a decision that backfired horribly. The match was played at the old Metropolitan Stadium in Bloomington, Minn., on Dec.26, 1976, in front of a raucous crowd of 48,446 in freezing temperatures.

The Rams took the opening kickoff, and methodically marched down field behind the stout running of Lawrence...
                    -01-13-2009, 05:30 AM
                  • Rams13
                    Super Bowl XIV
                    by Rams13
                    We all remember Super Bowl XXXIV really well and talk allot about it. However lets talk about Super Bowl XIV for a moment, what are your thoughts on that game? The Rams really should have won that game and really put a scare into the Steelers. If only that wide open receiver had been noticed at the end of the game we would have won it actually. The Rams knocked on the door so much in the 1970's but only had 1 chance against the Steelers and we came up short. All in all my point is that even though we lost against the Steelers the Rams were one of the best teams during the 1970's but because of only making the Super Bowl once that decade and losing they don't have much to show for it. Us fans will always be greatful for those memories however. GO RAMS!
                    -07-27-2001, 04:56 PM
                  • AvengerRam_old
                    The Greatest Loss of All Time
                    by AvengerRam_old
                    My new sig is dedicated to what I believe to be the greatest loss in Ram history: Super Bowl XIV.

For those who remember that day - it wasn't even supposed to be a game. The three time champion Steelers were going to crush the upstart Rams, who nudged their way into the playoffs with a 9-7 record.

In the end, the Steelers would win the day, but for the first three and one half quarters, it was anyone's game. A couple more breaks, and the Rams would have pulled off an upset that would have made the 1968 Jets and even the 2001 Patriots pale by comparison.

There is never joy in losing, but I think the Rams walked off the field with their heads held higher, with a greater sense of pride, than any losing team before or since.

The quote in my sig comes from a post-game article I found on line.

I can just see Jack... limping off the field... his broken lower leg throbbing... his uniform covered with dirt and grass stains... glancing at the cocky Terry Bradshaw and giving him a look that said... "we may not be walking off this field with a trophy, but you guys were the ones who felt fear today."

That's the pride the Rams need to find again.
                    -01-30-2006, 11:22 PM
                  • RamDez
                    Rams can look to Super 'omen'
                    by RamDez
                    Rams can look to Super 'omen'
                    By Jim Thomas
                    Of the Post-Dispatch
                    Thursday, Jan. 06 2005

They had more than their share of injuries. During the regular season, they
                    were outscored by 58 points in the second half. They finished well into the
                    "minus" category in takeaway-giveaway differential. Eleven games into the
                    season, they were saddled with a 5-6 record and worried about survival, not
                    reaching the Super Bowl.

Sound familiar, Rams fans? The current Rams team fits all of those criteria,
                    right down to be being outscored by 58 points in the second half this season.
                    But the team in question is the Los Angeles Rams of 1979.

"We were just trying to finish the season, and hopefully things would end on a
                    winning note," Lawrence McCutcheon said. "But Super Bowl? If everyone was
                    honest with themselves, they weren't thinking of that."

But that's where the '79 Rams ended up - in the Super Bowl despite a 9-7
                    regular-season record.

"It was kind of a freaky year all around," McCutcheon said. "Freaky injuries.
                    And talent-wise, it was probably the least-talented team that I played with
                    while I was there with the Rams."

As director of player personnel, McCutcheon is the No. 2 man in the Rams'
                    personnel department behind general manager Charley Armey. For most of the
                    '70s, he was the feature back on a Rams team that won an NFL-record seven
                    consecutive division titles in the NFC West.

But in 1979, McCutcheon was slowed by severe hamstring problems, and Wendell
                    Tyler took over as the lead horse in the backfield. By Week 6, both starting
                    wide receivers - Willie Miller and Ron Jessie - had suffered season-ending
                    injuries.

In Week 10, quarterback Pat Haden suffered a freak season-ending injury. He was
                    scrambling on a play and suffered a broken pinky finger on his throwing hand as
                    it got caught in the seam of the artificial turf in Seattle.

The Rams tried Jeff Rutledge and Bob Lee at quarterback the following Sunday,
                    but lost in Chicago 27-23. Enter young Vince Ferragamo.

"He was bright-eyed and bushy-tailed," McCutcheon said. "Kind of wild, and
                    really hadn't found his footing. He was a little bit of a scatter-armed guy,
                    but had a good arm. But to say he was a guy to come in and win games for us and
                    eventually take us to the Super Bowl, that was probably a little far-fetched."

But that's exactly what happened. The Rams won four in a row under Ferragamo to
                    clinch a playoff spot on the next-to-last weekend of the regular season.

Getting a first-round bye as division champs, the Rams upset Dallas 21-19 at
                    Texas Stadium when wide receiver Billy Waddy...
                    -01-07-2005, 01:10 AM
                  Working...
                  X