Trade Bruce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade Bruce

As much as I hate to say this...cause he is my favorite player; I think this will be Bruce's last year as a Ram. He will be traded or asked to step down as a winner. The team will focus on signing the younger talent

Trade Bruce?

In a way, you're probably right J-Ram. But in all honesty, I sure do hope you are wrong! ;)

Please see 'THE FIELD GOAL's' comment on Kevin Green and Eric Dickerson (in the Let's Talk Defense column). Even if a player did come from another team --Marshall Faulk, for instance-- seeing IBruce leave would be yet another one of those sad business trades which, although unavoidable at times due to the very nature of professional sports, they tend nevertheless to disrupt the o-t-h-e-r nature of the profession, the passionate, the loyalty, the faithful aspects of a player's relationship to a team and its supporting fans.

No, I wasn't born yesterday. :p Ever since I've followed the adventures and the drama of professional athletes, TEAM athletes that is (unlike tennis or golf, for example) ...I've seen it happen time and time again. Trades, transactions, holdouts, etc.3. It has to be. It's human nature. That's life. :rolleyes:

All I'm saying is that certain players deserve and ought to be allowed permanency with the team that helped them become super stars and that, as such, they in return made the team a winning organization [ok - granted: the player should first WANT to stay] . It's the "romantic" side of the revenue, the feeling of a caring consistency which too often is neglected in the heart of owners, managers, and yes, the players themselves.

"Be true to your team"... is wishful thinking even in college. It is so difficult! Too many personal interests / issues are involved. Too many marriages are split apart. And what is left is the image of a "Thanks for the Memories" banner, fading away somewhere in an archive of the NFL Films.

Roman Gabriel an Eagle. Deacon Jones a Charger. Henry Ellard a Redskin. Johnny Unitas a Charger. Jerry Rice a Raider. Joe Namath a Ram. The list will NEVER end, obviously. On the other hand, you have Walter Payton, a Bear. Dan Marino, a Dolphin. Merlin Olsen, a retired #74 RAM.

...Issac Bruce not a Ram? With all due respect J-Ram, I hope to see Bruce retire as a mature, wise and winning Ram

Maybe a few more years with the Rams and his jersey number will also be retired!
    Last edited by RealRam; -07-16-2001, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Who else right now is out there that you would want to trade for? With the way the offense is so key on timing, Bruce and Warner are hooked up. To both their benefits, egos don't come into play between those two like other WR-QB combos. Let me put it this way, as long as there is 13, 80 will be here also.

However, in the world of the salary cap......anything is possible.

Comment

Anything can happen, I know, but I hopr that Bruce stays. I feel that he has a little rams blood in his veins and I think he will stay where warner stays. Just hope he can fit under the cap. I also hope that we don't do a whiner and mortgage our future to sign a few players and end up shipwrecked in 4 or 5 years time. Anyways Bruce is an excekkent player and I wouldn't swap him for another.
        The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

Comment

Sorry guys but this is a no brainer. Which other WR in the NFL would U want. randy Moss has the talent but he also has the head up his ar*e attitude to go with it. Apart from his two seasons with hamstring troubles he has been THE WR inthe NFL. I haven't checked numbers but i seem to remember he had more receptions in his first 3 years than that god of the media Jerry Rice and his yards after the catch take him above Chris Carter.

Warner , Bruce and Faulk are the triumphriate that define the Rams offense and yes I do think ike is more imprortant to the offense than Torry
          :helmet:
          GO CLAYMORES : DEAD BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

Comment

Here Here dod, People quickly forget about bruce's stats and how he has already had the second highest yardage total in a season ( would be top but rice beat him in the same year!) he is the guy you want to catch the ball.
            The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• itsguud
              Bruce retiring a Ram
              by itsguud
              I just heard this through a friend working with the Score sports network. Apparently Issac Bruce will be signing a 1 day contract with the Rams to retire as one of the greatest to ever wear the horns.

If anyone finds an online source for this feel free to post it. I for one will be very happy and thankful if this happens. I love my Bruce replica Jersey it hangs on the wall in my bedroom. This guy is one of my favorite players of all time!

Thanks for the memories Bruce.
              -05-18-2010, 07:14 PM
            • RamsFan16
              I'm sorry but my Bruce stand point
              by RamsFan16
              I'm sorry if I make you guys mad but I'm not really concerned about the Bruce thing and if he is signed somewhere else I won't be mad. I understand and think that he should retire a Ram but we would have needed to let go of him some time or another. Its time to move on IMO but I'll dearly miss him on the Rams if he isn't brought back. But also I think its him and his agents fault for not accepting the deals we have proposed to him. If he wanted to retire a Ram he would have accepted it. Its not the Front Offices fault its clearly Bruce and his Agents fault. Our front office has been offering money that IMO he isn't hardly worth any more. Now I'm sorry if I made you mad but this is my opinion on it.
              -03-09-2006, 03:51 PM
            • AvengerRam_old
              Isaac Bruce is one of the greatest Rams ever
              by AvengerRam_old
              How can you not be a fan of Isaac Bruce?

Few players in the Rams' history have been as productive for as long a period as Bruce. But it goes beyond that.

In his early years, he was the lone bright spot on a dismal team. His second year was one of the greatest any receiver ever had, though he toiled in near anonymity.

Then came the hamstring injuries. Many players experiencing such a sharp decline in their production due to a recurring injury would have thrown in the towel. But Bruce (despite the chiding of Dick Vermiel - calling Bruce his "so called superstar") pressed on and got healthy. Then in 1999, when the team suddenly became a contender, he was right there in the mix - punishing hated San Fran with 4 TDs and, of course, catching the game winner in the Super Bowl.

Since then, he has continued to play at a high level. And he continues to show up in big games (he was great in the playoff loss to Carolina) and to this day (See last Sunday's box score).

Throughout it all, he has never held out for more money, never drawn attention to himself with TO/Joe Horn/Randy Moss type antics, never complained when Torry Holt became the "Number 1" receiver. He just keeps playing and setting an example for the team.

When the Rams visit Miami this October, I will be there... proudly wearing my #80 jersey and chanting "Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce!!!!!!!!!!!"
              -09-14-2004, 10:12 AM
            • AvengerRam_old
              Finances aside, I really want Bruce back
              by AvengerRam_old
              Putting aside the heated debate over how much Bruce should be paid, I want to make one thing clear: I really do hope the Rams work things out with Bruce so he can return and retire as a Ram.

Its more than mere sentiment. I think Bruce does have a couple of very good years left in him. While he may not have the speed he once did, his precision makes him a perfect possession receiver. He also is a veteran leader and mentor to younger players.

Its easy to get caught up in the economics of the situation, but in the end, that's for the team, Bruce and his agent to worry about.

I hope things work out and we can watch #80 for another year.
              -03-08-2006, 12:36 PM
            • r8rh8rmike
              Isaac Bruce's No. 80 Is A Number For The Ages
              by r8rh8rmike
              Isaac Bruce's No. 80 is a number for the ages

BY JIM THOMAS
              Friday, October 29, 2010

As the Rams gathered in July 1994 for what would be their last training camp as the Los Angeles Rams, all the rookies were shoved into a back room. They dressed separate from the vets at the University of California-Irvine.

Some were talkers. Some were jokesters. Some were quiet and none more so than the skinny-legged wide receiver from Memphis State, Isaac Bruce.

"You could tell he meant business," said D'Marco Farr, then an undrafted rookie. "He wasn't there to make friends. He was there to practice and get better and make this football team. You could tell that from day one."

Bruce made the team, and didn't stop there. He became one of the greatest Rams ever. Such lofty status becomes official and immortalized Sunday when Bruce's jersey No. 80 is retired in a pregame ceremony at the Edward Jones Dome.

"I've had the fortunate chance to see other great players, not only in football but in other sports have their numbers retired," Bruce said. "You're pretty much ingrained into an organization once you're drafted or you sign with that team. But to have that organization retire your number? This happens to people like Jackie Robinson and other great players."

And it's happening to Bruce.

"We'll have a great time celebrating it," Bruce said. "I'm just honored. All I've been thinking about is that when you honor father God, he honors you. That's all that just keeps pouring in my mind. He's honoring me, because I honor him."

For Bruce, it promises to be a hectic yet memorable weekend of fun and catching up with friends and teammates. On Thursday night, he was guest of honor at a dinner for Rams sponsors. Tonight, he hosts the Celebrate 80 event at Lumiere Place to benefit the Isaac Bruce Foundation. The event is sold out. On Saturday, he's scheduled to speak to the Rams squad and has been diligently working on his speech.

Martz, Vermeil & more

The jersey retirement ceremony begins at 11:35 a.m. Sunday, or 25 minutes before kickoff for the Rams' contest against Carolina. Former Rams coach Mike Martz, now offensive coordinator for the Chicago Bears, is scheduled to introduce Bruce. (Martz is able to attend only because the Bears are in their bye week.)

"It's only right," Bruce said. "That's all I can say about it. It's only right. You know, Mike's been there with me from day one. He was one of the guys that was very important in my career.

"I think we developed a bond. He was always honest with me, and I was always honest with him. And it worked out well. I'm honored that he could come into town and be a part of this."

Another of Bruce's former head coaches, Dick...
              -10-29-2010, 11:46 AM
            Working...
            X