X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holt: mild-mannered reporter

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

DETROIT ó Torry Holt arrived early for Super Bowl Media Day festivities Tuesday at Ford Field. He sat down by a goal post, watched workers set up for the spectacle that would follow and then watched the Pittsburgh Steelers walk in for their interview session.

Instant flashback.

"I remembered how we walked in the first time," Holt said. "We had our camcorders. Az (Hakim) and Ricky (Proehl). Todd Lyght and Keith Lyle. Mike Jones. Isaac (Bruce). Orlando (Pace). Todd Collins. D'Marco (Farr). Adam Timmerman. The list goes on and on, of guys that shared the same experience that I did.

"At the time, when I was a rookie, I couldn't really comprehend anything. Because everything was just moving so fast."

So as the Steelers walked in Tuesday, and the memories flowed, Holt said, "I kind of got a little emotional. I was like, 'I've actually experienced this twice.' I was able to win one, and unfortunately, we came up short on one."

It doesn't seem like that long ago, but it's been six years since the Rams defeated Tennessee in Super Bowl XXXIV. And four years since the team lost to New England in Super Bowl XXXVI.

On Tuesday, Holt was on the other side of the podium at Media Day, doing television work for the NFL Network. With no fewer than four assistants helping him out, including cameraman and producer, Holt joined the media throng jockeying for position to ask their questions.

"It's been an experience, to be honest with you," Holt said. "I have that much more respect for you guys (reporters), and the preparation that you have to do to get ready for an event like this. It's been a humbling experience."

Actually, Holt pulled it off in style. He asked good questions, aided by plenty of notes. He covered a lot of ground, interviewing maybe a couple of dozen Steelers and Seahawks, not to mention some of his more established TV brethren, such as Chris Berman and former Cowboys wide receiver Michael Irvin.

He mixed serious questions with playful queries. Like asking Seattle linebacker Isaiah Kacyvenksi who had the baldest head - him or Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck.

Holt was patient. He picked his spots to ask questions and didn't just barge in and "big time" his way past the full-time reporters.

"All the reporters and broadcasters that I come across, I'm able to learn something from everybody," Holt said. "And I try to apply it. I knew I couldn't butt my way in there and try to be a (jerk) and dominate.

"For one, that's not my style. I knew what I wanted to ask. I knew what they wanted me to ask. Nothing cliche. I wanted to ask them some things off the cuff. What helped me is I've been here. I played two Super Bowls. And that gives you some respect when you go ask these guys certain questions, because I've been here and we've won a big game like this."

Holt did it all with his usual energy and charm. So much so that Irvin, an analyst for ESPN, teased: "Don't bring him over here trying to take my job!"

Yes, after seven seasons catching passes for the Rams, Holt is working on his next career. Not that he's in a hurry to retire.

"I've still got some years left," Holt said. "I want to finish out my contract there in St. Louis. That'll take me to year 11. And then I want to step back and see where I'm at. I want to see where I'm at financially. I want to see where I'm at with my health. I want to see where I'm at with my career. And then I'll make a decision."

Ever since he entered the NFL in 1999, Holt has told himself that he didn't want to wait until the end of his career to begin preparing for life after football.

Besides his NFL Network duties during Super Bowl XL week, Holt also is doing promotional work for Diet Pepsi and Burger King. He returns to St. Louis on Sunday afternoon, then flies out the next day for Honolulu and the Pro Bowl.

Even while in Detroit, Holt continues to do rehab work on his right knee. He missed two games in late October with a torn ligament. Holt revealed Tuesday that he also suffered torn cartilage last season in the same knee - an injury he kept quiet.

"So the second half of the season, I was pretty much playing on a bum knee," Holt said.

Even so, he finished tied for third in the NFL in receptions (102) and sixth in reception yards (1,331).

"I'm trying to avoid surgery if I can," Holt said. "Right now, it feels good. I have no discomfort. There's no clicking."

With or without surgery, Holt will be ready for the 2006 season and is looking forward to working with new head coach Scott Linehan.

"All I've been hearing is great things about him," Holt said.

Linehan left Holt a phone message a few days ago, but Holt hasn't had a chance to get back to him.

"But the message he left was upbeat, very spirited," Holt said. "He's looking forward to picking our brains and helping us."

Holt said he wasn't necessarily surprised that the Rams hired an offense-minded head coach.

"I was hoping that they would hire the best guy for the job, whether it was offense or defense," Holt said. "I think everybody got caught up in hoping they would hire a defensive guy because everybody wants to see our defense be better. But to me, as long as it's the best guy for the job, who's going to get us headed back in the right direction and get us back to prominence - he could be a special-teams guy."

For Holt, the 2006 season will be his first in the NFL without Mike Martz around as his head coach or offensive coordinator. And make no mistake, Martz will be missed.

"It's unfortunate that things ended the way they did for Coach Martz," Holt said. "But I can say this: I'm excited that he has his health now."

Re: Holt: mild-mannered reporter

Thanks for the article man!

Comment

Well here he Is good stuff again "RW" I saw the Torry their and he was funny the way he came across with his questions and he was having some fun lots of it ... even when the hawks came out ... when a player mentioned that we beat the rams twice this year he was being nice but you could see he really did not like that it was clear to me at least (only my Opinion) ..
      :helmet::ram::helmet: :ram::helmet::ram:

Comment

I thought he was hilarious, making what must've been a pretty boring day for the players a little more light and fun

my favourite part was when he won the ET award for worst dressed reporter (he was in his sweats, lol)

Comment

hes better than michael irvin, when hes done playing espn will take him in a minute, in fact i think hes better than steve young.

Comment

Thought he did well. Thought Hasselbeck was fairly graceless though....................

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
              Holt To Miss Pro Bowl
              by RamWraith
              Saturday, January 13, 2007

By Nick Wagoner
              Senior Writer

Torry Holtís streak of six consecutive 1,300 receiving yard seasons came to an end in 2006. Now, another streak is over because of a knee injury.

Holt was slated to head to Hawaii for his sixth Pro Bowl and fourth in a row at the beginning of February, but while he could still attend the NFLís annual all-star game, he will not be able to suit up as he ponders the options for his injured knee.

Detroit receiver Roy Williams was announced as Holtís replacement for the Pro Bowl on Friday afternoon.

Holt injured the knee on a touchdown catch against Arizona on Dec. 3. On the play, it appeared that Holt landed awkwardly on the knee, then it worsened in the excitement following the play.

Although he spent most of the final few weeks listed as probable on the injury report, Holt played through the pain and finished out the season healthy enough to suit up every week and still have an impact.

Now, Holt faces a difficult decision on what he will do about the injured knee in the offseason. Should Holt opt for surgery, it wonít be anything major, rather it would likely be of the arthroscopic variety. The always upbeat and optimistic Holt doesnít believe that any procedure would be the type that could keep him down for a long period of time.

ďI have a lot of stuff that I need to make decisions about fairly quick, but I do like the fact that I can take it at a controlled pace and get done what I need to get done,Ē Holt said. ďI think by having an injury like this before, I would say that it is cartilage. I donít think itís anything thatís going to end me. I think itís just going to take some minor things to go in, punch a couple of holes in, straighten some things out, and let me get back to those hills and back to playing football. Iím looking forward to making this decision, relaxing, and enjoying í07.Ē

Some good old rest and relaxation could be just what the doctor ordered for Holt, who has been one of the driving forces of the Rams dynamic offense for the better part of his career.

Holt has long been one of the NFLís most active players in the offseason. He has become somewhat of a draftnik after doing some work for ESPN and has gotten more involved in it since the arrival of noted draft fan Corey Chavous. He has also done commentary in the Super Bowl.

This year, though, Holt thinks he might lay low for a while.

ďRight now, my gut feeling is I wonít do any media stuff and just step back and just enjoy Torry for a little bit and my family,Ē Holt said. ďI havenít really had a chance to do a lot of that for awhile. So I have always been trying to jump into new things, see what I like, what I donít like, who likes me, who doesnít like me. So right now I think I will take a little time for Torry and just relax.Ē
              -01-15-2007, 04:27 AM
            • RamWraith
              Holt Uses Injury to Refocus on Football
              by RamWraith
              Thursday, June 14, 2007

By Nick Wagoner
              Senior Writer

For the better part of the past few years, Torry Holtís presence on television has been every bit as strong in the offseason as it has during the regular season.

Whether it be breaking down prospects on the NFL Draft or hawking pizza in a commercial, Holt has been omnipresent around town when he wasnít on the field putting up his usual terrific performances.

But this offseason was different. Holt had to go under the knife for only the second time in his career (he had a scope after the 2003 season), as he opted for surgery caused by torn meniscus in his right knee. That operation opened Holtís eyes and caused him to gain a new perspective.

ďItís actually been good,Ē Holt said. ďMy first eight years in the league, I have been doing a lot of off the field stuff, trying to dibble and dabble in some broadcasting things and dibble and dabble in some different business stuff like that, trying to build my brand.

ďThis year has really given me an opportunity to step back and really refocus on the game of football. Iím excited about that. Iím enjoying the break because I havenít really done anything. Iím just really trying to re-focus on whatís important and thatís football and trying to help this football team win some more championships.Ē

That isnít to say that Holt hasnít been paying attention or hasnít been playing with focus in the past two seasons, but thereís no doubt that Holt wasnít quite himself in 2006. Holt first injured the knee on Oct. 9, 2005 in a home game against Seattle. At the time, the injury cost him two games and a bye week before returning for the rematch with the Seahawks on Nov. 13.

Although Holt was able to play through the pain for the rest of that season, he was admittedly fatigued heading down the stretch. Still, Holt decided against having offseason surgery after that tumultuous season.

ďI feel like I if I rehabbed and prepared and trained and did all of the necessary things, that I could get it strong enough to go out and compete those two years and kind of dodge the knife,Ē Holt said.

He did successfully dodge surgery and rehabbed and worked to get it strong enough to last him for most of last season. But Holt also had some help along the way, receiving some extended breaks during training camp and doing everything possible to stay fresh for the season.

Holt opened the 2006 season with one of his finest starts ever, including his miraculous 67-yard touchdown catch against Seattle on Oct. 15. Soon after, though, Holt started to slow down as teams through multiple coverage looks his way and caused him to scramble for opportunities.

It all came to a head on Dec. 3 against Arizona when Holt went up for a touchdown catch against Cardinalsí safety Robert Griffith. Holt made the play, but took...
              -06-14-2007, 03:14 PM
            • RamWraith
              Holt adjusts to role as adviser, cheerleader
              by RamWraith
              By Jim Thomas
              ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
              Tuesday, Nov. 01 2005

Wide receiver Torry Holt was as fired up as the next guy Saturday when interim
              head coach Joe Vitt showed the Rams clips from the movie "Gladiator."

"But at the same time, I couldn't get too charged up, because I knew I wasn't
              going out there to play," Holt said. "So I had to kind of save some of that
              energy and put it elsewhere.

"Maybe in play-calling. Maybe suggesting some things. I don't know. It's tough
              to be sitting there, getting excited, but knowing that you're not going to go
              out there and participate."

Sitting out was entirely foreign to Holt in his NFL career - until now. Since
              being selected No. 6 overall in the 1999 draft out of North Carolina State,
              Holt had played in 112 consecutive NFL games for the Rams - a streak that
              encompassed 102 regular-season games and 10 postseason contests.

Holt suffered what originally was termed a bruised right knee midway through
              the second quarter of the Rams' game Oct. 9 against Seattle. But Holt kept
              playing, even catching a touchdown pass against the Seahawks. Holt missed some
              practice time the following week but was back on the field Oct. 17 in
              Indianapolis, catching six balls for 70 yards.

But that's the last time Holt has seen the field.

"When I came back from the Indianapolis game, I was running and (the knee)
              would give," Holt said. "And then it would give again. I just didn't feel
              comfortable with it. I wouldn't have been of any service to this football team
              or to myself. I didn't think I could help. So I felt it was best for me to take
              a step back and let Shaun (McDonald) come in, who's healthy and who's ready to
              roll."

Further examination showed that Holt had a strained ligament. Missing games for
              the first time in his career - Oct. 23 against New Orleans, and last Sunday
              against Jacksonville - hasn't been easy.

"It was sickening for me," Holt said. "I really wanted to continue to play and
              keep that streak going. I take pride in that. To me, it's a matter of showing
              your peers in the National Football League that you're durable. And for me to
              be pulled out for a couple weeks, or pull myself out for a couple weeks to get
              healthy, was tough. But it's been a good two weeks. The guys have stepped up in
              my absence, and done a fantastic job. This whole football team has."

Holt has tried to help whenever possible on game day, whether it's telling the
              younger receivers what he sees, offering occasional suggestions to offensive
              coordinator Steve Fairchild, or simply offering encouragement. The same...
              -11-02-2005, 05:00 AM
            • RamDez
              Torry Holt: Quiet excellence
              by RamDez
              Torry Holt: Quiet excellence
              By Bill Coats
              ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
              Sunday, Oct. 02 2005

Cell phone hidden in the goal post padding? Nope. Sharpie pen stuffed in a
              sock? No way. Fake mooning of the crowd? Not a chance.

"That type of stuff, that's not me," Rams wide receiver Torry Holt said.
              "That's just not my deal." Because he eschews the kind of antics that other NFL
              wideouts favor to shower themselves with notoriety, Holt usually remains at the
              edge of the spotlight, and he's perfectly comfortable there.

"I don't necessarily need all that stuff to get me going or to solidify my
              position in the National Football League," he said. "I'm here to ... win
              ballgames and win championships. As long as I can continue to do that and stay
              healthy, and ... stay consistent, then I'm fine with that."

While others try to grab time on TV, Holt just keeps trying to grab footballs.
              The seventh-year veteran heads into Sunday's game at Giants Stadium as the
              league's leader in receiving yards (358) and tied for first in receptions (23).

After three games last year, he had one more catch and seven fewer yards. He
              finished the regular season with 94 catches for 1,372 yards, fourth in the NFL
              in both categories. It marked the fifth successive season that Holt had topped
              1,300 yards, a feat never before achieved.

But you won't hear Holt crowing about his accomplishments or talking trash. He
              keeps his mouth shut and leaves the evaluation to others.

"Torry is happy who he is," said coach Mike Martz, the offensive coordinator
              when the Rams drafted Holt in the first round (No. 6 overall) in 1999. "He
              doesn't care about the attention. ... You've seen him in practice; he's like a
              little kid running around here. He just loves to play."

Besides, Holt's mother, Ojetta Holt-Shoffner, didn't raise her three children
              to be shameless self-promoters. Torry learned that at a tender age.

"When I was growing up, I used to do my little thing and show the other teams
              up. They started to call me 'Hotdog.' And I remember my mom saying, 'One day,
              that stuff's going to catch up with you,'" said Holt, 29. "When she said that,
              I kind of (decided to) just play the game ... let my play do my talking for me."

With his easy smile, Holt added: "Plus, going out there and talking and all
              that, it makes you tired. I don't have all that energy to be doing that."

Though he makes millions now, Holt has seen the other side. His father, Odell
              Shoffner, worked two jobs, and his mother labored in a yarn mill. The family
              lived in a modest apartment. During summers as a youngster, Torry earned $5 an ...
              -10-02-2005, 02:05 AM
            • RamWraith
              Holt carrying no baggage to Pro Bowl
              by RamWraith
              By Bill Coats
              ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
              Saturday, Dec. 29 2007

Unlike last year, when he was facing offseason knee surgery, wide receiver
              Torry Holt is planning on attending, and playing in, the Pro Bowl. Holt
              probably will be the Rams' lone representative in the NFL's all-star game,
              which is scheduled for Feb. 10 in Honolulu.

"I feel a lot better at this point this year than what I did last year," Holt
              said. "I definitely want to go over and show my appreciation by being there and
              playing."

Holt, who has earned a Pro Bowl trip after seven of his nine seasons, isn't
              planning to lug any extra baggage with him, though. To that end, he sought
              Friday to jettison any aftereffects lingering from his Dec. 20 sideline blowup
              with coach Scott Linehan, which was caught live by NFL Network cameras and
              replayed many times by various local and national outlets.

"It was just a situation where I was venting some frustration," said Holt,
              addressing the subject publicly for the first time. "It may not have been the
              appropriate place to do it, but it is what it is. We talked about it at the end
              of the game. He spoke his piece and I spoke mine, and that was it. Ö As far as
              I'm concerned, that's put to bed."

Linehan, too, has dismissed the incident as an aggravated competitor simply
              losing his cool. But Ö Torry Holt doesn't lose his cool.

"No, I don't," he said. "I don't like getting to that point, where I'm (a
              jerk). I can be (a jerk) with some of the best of them. But I hate getting to
              that point, and I hate that I let the frustration build up to that point. Ö

"Never do I ever lose my composure like that. I try to remain calm, I try to
              remain like a bottle of wine ó smooth and good. But that time, I guess that old
              whiskey came out of me."

Holt erupted in the final minutes of a 41-24 loss to the visiting Pittsburgh
              Steelers that dropped the Rams to 3-12. A defeat Sunday at Arizona would result
              in the team's worst single-season record since moving here in 1995.

"It's not good, especially coming off of a season last year where we were 8-8,
              we finished on a good note, so you come back into the offseason with much
              promise ó bring in guys, add guys, gives you that much more promise," Holt
              said. "Then to start out the way we did (0-8) and to see things just become a
              domino effect to where we are now, it's disheartening Ö especially if you're a
              winner.

"If you're a competitor and you like to win and you've had a taste of success,
              it can be draining."

Holt obviously has done enough individually to add another Pro Bowl to his
              -12-29-2007, 07:15 AM
            Working...
            X