note on Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• note on Jackson

I was reading "a magazine" this past week and studying Jackson stats, the one thing that seemed to really stand out. Jackson seems to need to carry the ball at least 25 times in a game to be effective. Anything less than 25 carries his production seemed to drop off. He had no games of 100 yards or more without getting the rock 25 times plus.

Re: note on Jackson

He'll have his chance to, "get the carries", after he learns a few things from the , " Master " !!! Biding your time for a hole is a wonderfull thing.

Maineram

Comment

Well,

If that stat is to hold, or if correlation truly implies causeation then he probably won't have a very productive season as a rookie, or maybe ever in Martz's pass first offense. I still think that it was a great pick though.

Interesting side note (to me anyway): my last visit to this board was April 20, 2002.

Comment

I tend not to buy into correlations like that simply because there are a lot of variables that go into forming those situations. But it is an interesting fact to note.

Comment

Big strong backs like jackson tend to wear down the defense and do damage as they pick up strength and the defense gets tired.

As i see it, barring injury to marshall, we dont need him to carry the load. We need him to help in short yardage, provide another weapon, and be able to spell marshall which should hopefully prolong faulks career. If god forbid faulk gets hurt, i think we will see some devastating results from mr. jackson right away.

In addition, the hair provides nice balance on the offense for travis fischers DO on the defense.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

All very good points, general. I really hope that with Jackson on the roster, Marshall's able to get some of the weight off his shoulders and get through this season without any major injuries.

Comment

I see it as a plus. He performs the best when he's carrying the load for the team. What more could you want? He's a freakin' workhorse.

Comment

I'm still skeptical of the Jackson signing. Not in Jackson's abilities but in Martz changing his philosophy. It reminds me of when Washington had Stephen Davis and then brought in Stupid Spurrier. Davis hardly ever got 20 carries a game and wasn't nearly as effective as he usually was. Certain types of backs definitely seem to need the ball more to be effective. Jackson sure doesn't seem to fit the mold for the type of back the Rams offense utilizes.

While a change of pace will be nice for the offense, is it really prudent to "waste" the top pick in the draft that way? I still think that Faulk and Gordon are powerful enough to succeed in short yardage situations, but not when being hit in the backfield.

It will be interesting to see if this is just another experiment gone wrong, a la Steve Bellisari, Eric Crouch, John St. Clair, etc. or a great pick, a al Torry Holt. Who am I forgetting? That can't be the last good offensive draft pick the Rams have made can it?

Comment

Originally posted by moklerman
                  I'm still skeptical of the Jackson signing. Not in Jackson's abilities but in Martz changing his philosophy. It reminds me of when Washington had Stephen Davis and then brought in Stupid Spurrier. Davis hardly ever got 20 carries a game and wasn't nearly as effective as he usually was. Certain types of backs definitely seem to need the ball more to be effective. Jackson sure doesn't seem to fit the mold for the type of back the Rams offense utilizes.

While a change of pace will be nice for the offense, is it really prudent to "waste" the top pick in the draft that way? I still think that Faulk and Gordon are powerful enough to succeed in short yardage situations, but not when being hit in the backfield.

It will be interesting to see if this is just another experiment gone wrong, a la Steve Bellisari, Eric Crouch, John St. Clair, etc. or a great pick, a al Torry Holt. Who am I forgetting? That can't be the last good offensive draft pick the Rams have made can it?
                  Holt looks to be the last sure-fire impact hit on offense. Gordon and Manu are the only two since Holt that I think you could make a case for as being the last good offensive draft pick(s) the Rams made. Although depending on what Curtis and McDonald do, that could change.

But anyways, I think Jackson and Faulk have more in common than you give them credit for. They're both good receivers, both are great with cutbacks, both are good in pass protection. I don't see Martz completely changing his philosophy by picking Jackson because I don't view Jackson as a true power back, at least not in the general sense of the term. Yes, he does seem to prefer to take on defenders head on and he's not completely in the Marshall Faulk mold, but I think he has enough similar characteristics to make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by NickSeiler
                    ...But anyways, I think Jackson and Faulk have more in common than you give them credit for. They're both good receivers, both are great with cutbacks, both are good in pass protection. I don't see Martz completely changing his philosophy by picking Jackson because I don't view Jackson as a true power back, at least not in the general sense of the term. Yes, he does seem to prefer to take on defenders head on and he's not completely in the Marshall Faulk mold, but I think he has enough similar characteristics to make it work.
                    jackson played in an open offense his junior year at oregon state, which really means that he played in a one-back system without a fullback in front of him, except for short yardage sits. while he doesn't display the cutback and stop on a dime ability that marshall is adept in jackson has the experience of playing in an offense similar to martzs' system. of course, while his success in the collegiate level doesn't guarantee much in the pros i think it's far too early to be in despair about him not fitting the marshall mode.

in regards to his speed, jackson ran a 4.55 at his workouts two months after a knee surgery to correct a minor injury he suffered in the new mexico game in which he ran for 150 and scored 5 tds. reportedly, he ran a 4.38 over a year ago during the offseason of his sophomore year, so given some time he may be able to regain that elite speed. and as the above poster mentioned the catching ability of jackson must've been the x-factor which propelled the rams to trade up to pick jackson when kevin jones of VT could've been had at the #26 slot.

Comment

Also keep in mind that the Oregon State O-Line was not very good. I expect that behind a professional offensive line he won't need 25+ carries to break 100 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by ZigZagRam
                        Also keep in mind that the Oregon State O-Line was not very good. I expect that behind a professional offensive line he won't need 25+ carries to break 100 yards.
                        Very good point ZigZag! That OSU line was not near great. Jackson is big, strong and fast with exceptional abilities. He reminds me of Eric the great, with better pass catching abilities and a hell of a stiff arm. Remember, Dickerson had a great line at SMU, unlike Jackson at OSU.
                        Curly ~ Horns

Comment

The question is, will he have a great O-line in St. Louis? We all have to hope that the Rams offensive line -- particularly the interior -- gets better especially with their run blocking and that Manu and Harris are able to help make some holes.

Comment

yea, thats still my worry this season. I don't doubt we have great play-makers in all the positions apart from (maybe) TE. But out line never played to its pay cheque last season. I just hope it does this season

__________________________________________________________
                            Keeping the Rams Nation Talking

Comment

Hopefully both Wohlabaugh and Turley will be better acquainted with the Rams playbook and won't have the kind of troubles they did last season. Howard has continued to talk about how much McCollum helped out Wohlabaugh last season.

I'd love to see some of our younger guys push for starting roles in the interior. It'd be nice if we could grow some starters rather than bring them in as free agents or in trades.

Comment

Working...
                              X