If Pace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Pace

If Pace doesn't sign up, who will start in his place? Does Turley move over? Who will be the new guy, and, is he any good?

Re: If Pace

God forbid this scenario comes to pass, but if it does, turley probably moves over and grant williams starts on the right side. Grant williams is a capable backup, but without Pace, i dont think we are contenders to win a title.

general counsel

Comment

Mark my words...

Pace Will Sign*

*disclaimer - If pace does not sign please see previous post by general counsel

Comment

pace will most definitely follow the pattern he developed last off-season...

one thing i'm uncertain about is, if pace doesn't sign the franchise tender and sits out the season does his franchise cap hit still apply to the rams salary cap? where's generalcounsel...?

Comment

I reckon Pace will sign especially if the Rams still have that signing bonus on the table, hopefully he will move out of the shadow of the Postons!!!!

steve :ramlogo:
          "The breakfast Club":helmet:

Comment

I'm sure Pace wants to sign a contract agreeable to both parties but is probably glad in a way nothing could be done before July 15th. I don't think he missed mini camp. LOL I don't think Orlando would sit out at this stage of his career and after reading what he said about a $15-$17 million signing bonus I expect him to be telling the Postons he'll be signing a contract as soon as possible.

I agree about losing Pace though. If we go into the season without him it would be a disaster. If we lost him we might as well clean house and start over getting all the draft picks we can. OUCH! Not a pretty senario.

After his remarks about the bonus it was interesting to see Clevelands interest in going after him even if it meant giving up those two 1st round draft picks. Hey what the heck it wasn't coming out of their pockets this year! Although it would be tempting to think about two 1sts I don't think Bulger could survive without him and any playoff thoughts would be fantasy. The team wouldn't be the same without him.

Comment

The Fox interview with Faulk also alluded to Pace. Faulk was very confident that Pace would sign this summer. He didn't hesitate or step around the question at all.

On a similar note, Cleveland contemplates going after Pace last year. With one of the picks they would have had to give up, they get Kellen "I'm a soldier" Winslow. Are the Browns gluttons for Poston-punishment or what?
              The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

I loved hearing Pace's comments about wanting to get a deal done and how one probably would have happened had he known the Rams' real offer, but since then we've seen little indication that he's being sincere. If I was Pace and said what he had in that interview, the first thing I'd do is sign the tender and start showing up for team functions as a measure of good faith.

Comment

Originally posted by NickSeiler
                  I loved hearing Pace's comments about wanting to get a deal done and how one probably would have happened had he known the Rams' real offer, but since then we've seen little indication that he's being sincere. If I was Pace and said what he had in that interview, the first thing I'd do is sign the tender and start showing up for team functions as a measure of good faith.
                  Nick, show up for team functions? What? Work out you mean? LOL Not for a million Krispy Kreams! Just Paces way of getting one last extended vacation before his last contract. He's probably looking at the schedule and thinking he can coast through the first few games without busting a grape and figuring he can use those games to get into game shape. I hope he's at least walking to the store to get those donuts! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by ForeveRams
                    Nick, show up for team functions? What? Work out you mean? LOL Not for a million Krispy Kreams! Just Paces way of getting one last extended vacation before his last contract. He's probably looking at the schedule and thinking he can coast through the first few games without busting a grape and figuring he can use those games to get into game shape. I hope he's at least walking to the store to get those donuts! LOL
                    Heh, indeed. ;)

But I think his comments ring somewhat flat since he hasn't made one step toward showing he's good for his word. Hasn't signed the tender, isn't at camps or working out with the team... if he was really interested in getting something done, I'd expect him to have done something.

Comment

To the best of my knowledge, pace counts against the cap this year even if he doesnt sign since the offer to him to sign remains available to him. However, if he doesnt sign the tender, he doesnt get paid since he is technically not under contract. For you finance guys out there, this is the equivalent of accruing an expense (ie the salary for cap purposes), versus the actual cash outlay that occurs when pace signs and we actually pay him.

Here is the one exception that I can see, although i cant envision it happening. If the Rams were to withdraw the tender, they would in fact be unfranchising him. Although I am not 100% sure whether this is permitted under the collective bargaining agreement, as a general matter of law, any offer can be revoked prior to the time that it is accepted. It stands to reason that if "unfranchising" is permitted under the collective bargaining agreement, this would remove Pace's money from the cap, but, it would make him a 100% unrestricted free agent. He could sign with anyone and we would get nothing. Of course, that scenario is basically impossible, since if worst came to absolute worst, we could always choose to trade him and get something. We will never let him go for nothing.

Hope this helps.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Originally posted by coy bacon
                        If Pace doesn't sign up, who will start in his place? Does Turley move over? Who will be the new guy, and, is he any good?
                        Actually, Turley played LT for New Orleans. I truely hope it doesn't come to that though.

Comment

Originally posted by MartialRAM
                          Actually, Turley played LT for New Orleans. I truely hope it doesn't come to that though.
                          But he's a more comfortable fit at right tackle, so I agree -- I hope it doesn't come to moving him to the other side.

Comment

Pace will be just fine. He'll be back just like last year. He's probably upset at the Rams because they won't come close to his figure, and the Rams are upset at him because he wants more than the GNP of most third world countries. However, they both fall back in love as soon as he hits the field the week before camp ends.

And another thing, it's the interior of the O line that struggled. Not the Tackles. Pace has nothing to do with the cohesiveness of the inside guys.

Comment

There's no way in hell Pace is that stupid (the Poston brothers not withstanding) that he's going to miss out on $7.5 mil by holding out for a whole year in the prime of his career. Ain't gonna happen. I agree with several of my other fellow Ram brothers that he'll finally come to his senses sometime after July 15 and realize that the Poston's are nothing but money grubbing *****mongers and sign a long term deal that he could've had two years ago. Peace

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
                                How long is too long for Pace and the Postons?
                                by Nick
                                Just thinking out loud here after watching a disappointing Outside the Lines (see General NFL Talk), but the more I thought about the situation, the more I began to wonder...

How long is too long when it comes to waiting for Pace and the Postons to reach a reasonable long term contract with the Rams?

Obviously with the increasing amount of the franchise tag on Orlando Pace, as well as other players who we might want to retain using that tag, we can't tag Pace year in and year out. This is the second year in a row the tag has been placed on Pace, and while Orlando's comments in March were optimistic about a long-term deal being done this fall, we've yet to see or hear anything from him that would indicate that's still the case.

So for a moment, let's assume that Pace signs the tender during the preseason and once again fails to sign a long-term deal. At what point do the Rams begin to look for a viable replacement at left tackle, thus marking the beginning of the end of their dealings with Pace and the Postons? Does such a point exist?

Personally, I think that if the Rams and Pace can't reach a long-term deal by next spring when the time to franchise Orlando comes again, the Rams should begin considering alternative answers for the left tackle position. I'll be the first to tell you that Pace is one of the most valuable offensive linemen in the game, but the Rams cannot afford to be held hostage like this for many more seasons. Plus, I believe in the 2005 draft, there will be a number of good (not elite, but very good) tackle prospects, guys like Alex Barron or Jammal Brown, who may not be able to play as well as Pace, but should be very adequate and efficient players. Also, it's hard to tell who might be available in free agency, too.

The bottom line is I don't see the Postons bending to lower demands, and I'm not convinced that Pace is going to give them the boot any time soon. As much as the Rams may want to continue tagging Pace year after year (I think an interview with Zygmunt alluded to this), I don't think that's going to be an option after another season or two.
                                -08-09-2004, 12:01 AM
                              • Truth
                                Orlando Pace??
                                by Truth
                                Does anyone know if Orlando Pace still maintains a home in St Louis? I was passing through STL while flying to Ft Lauderdale and I'm almost positive the mountain that walked by me was Mr Pace.
                                -01-06-2011, 06:45 AM
                              • RamWraith
                                Pace Proves a Pleasant Surprise to Rams
                                by RamWraith
                                R.B. FALLSTROM

Associated Press

ST. LOUIS - Rams offensive tackle Orlando Pace broke a three-day silence on his contract holdout Thursday, saying a lighter playing weight would help him get back into playing shape in time for Sunday's opener.

Earlier this week Pace agreed to a one-year, $7.02 million contract as the team's franchise player, and he practiced for the first time Wednesday. He reported at 325 pounds, almost 20 pounds below last year, and believes that will offset the fact he's got only four practices to get ready.

During the offseason, in addition to working out on his own, Pace largely eliminated fried foods from his diet and cut back on his soft drink intake.

"I feel light years better than I did last year," Pace said. "I feel a lot quicker, a lot fresher. That was one of the elements I dealt with last year, just trying to get the weight down."

After two workouts, the Rams have been pleasantly surprised by Pace's conditioning.

"It looks like he's been here all camp, honest to goodness he does," coach Mike Martz said. "No mental errors and he's quick, he's physical.

"At this time last year he was very sluggish and the conditioning was a factor for him."

Martz said there's no question Pace will be ready for the opener.

"If there was any doubt, if he was not in great shape or if he was sloppy and making mistakes out here, you'd have to consider otherwise," Martz said. "But it's clear in my mind, he's looked terrific."

Pace, the first overall pick of the 1997 draft, has been a holdout in three of his eight seasons. He said there's been no backlash from teammates who went through two-a-days plus four preseason games.

"Really the bottom line, and what matters most in this locker room, is how the guys feel," Pace said. "And they're happy to see me and they're happy I'm back on the team."

Pace said a holdout was his only option when the Rams designated him as their franchise player for the second straight season. Now that he's signed the Rams and Pace's agents, the Poston brothers, can negotiate a long-term deal.

Not that he's holding his breath, considering the sides were far apart the last time they talked.

"Right now I'm not really focusing on next year," Pace said. "Whatever happens at the end of the season, hopefully I can sign a long-term deal. If not, we'll be sitting here talking about the same thing next year."

After three holdouts, Pace remains steadfast in support of his high-profile agents. He also said the bottom line is these are his decisions.

"I always have confidence in the people that represent me," Pace said. "They're professionals in what they...
                                -09-09-2004, 03:26 PM
                                Simple question on Pace
                                by Guest
                                This topic IS worthy of beating what is hopefully not a dead horse.

We are an 8-8 team that won a playoff game that had MAJOR problems on our offense line last year. Our best defensive player may or may not be incarcerated by the time we start the season. Cap or no cap, exactly HOW is trading away our best offensive lineman, and one of the best in the league, a guy who even if he didnt have his best season got beat only a handful of times all year and NEVER requires double team help on the qbs blind side, going to help our chances of improving the team in 2005 and beyond. We are not a rebuilding team.

Furthermore, we still dont have a RIGHT tackle, let alone anyone remotely competent to replace pace. IF we get another left tackle, as avenger says, that is one thing, but the odds of getting a guy even in the same ballpark as pace for 2005 are very, very limited in my view.

Guys its about performance, even if he isnt willing to discount to market to stay with the team, even if he is selfish, even if he is a distraction, how exactly do you figure that we are better off without him.

If we spend the money we save on defense, how are we going to protect the qb.

How much do you think we are actually going to save under the cap. Pace costs 8.2 under the tender. What do you think its going to cost to replace him. Until you replace him, you dont know what the net savings are, and given what left tackles go for these days, i dont think we are going to save anywhere near what some people think we are going to save, and we will in all liklihood be overpaying for inferior talent.

Very, very sensitive subject for me, i think when people talk about the Big Three that won us the sb title and led to the great run this team has had, Pace is so often overlooked as to the critical nature of his contribution.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
                                -03-13-2005, 07:47 PM
                              • AvengerRam_old
                                Where's Orlando Pace?
                                by AvengerRam_old
                                What's your theory?
                                Finalizing a cap friendly long-term deal (Hey, I'm not even that optimistic).
                                0.00%
                                Waiting to report because he doesn't feel like going to Oakland.
                                33.33%
                                Chained to the radiator in Carl Poston's basement.
                                13.33%
                                I don't know, but wherever he is, he's eating.
                                13.33%
                                Lost driving somewhere between Columbus and St. Louis.
                                0.00%
                                Cutting the final tracks of "Orlando Pace Sings Love Songs of his Youth"
                                6.67%
                                Administering flu shots to poor children in Bangladesh.
                                6.67%
                                Staring at his computer screen and thinking: "I think I'll make those fans sweat a bit more."
                                6.67%
                                Writing the final chapters of his biography, "My Shadow Weighs More Than You Do."
                                0.00%
                                I don't know, where do spoiled, unappreciative, lazy athletes hang out this time of year?
                                20.00%
                                -08-31-2004, 01:33 PM
                              Working...
                              X