• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warner made the most of his short time in St. Louis

Jeff Gordon
    Post-Dispatch Online Sports Columnist
    06/01/2004

St. Louis lost one of its all-time sports heroes Tuesday afternoon when the Rams gave Kurt Warner the short haircut.

For sure, Warner's run was short. But what he accomplished during a glorious three-year span — two NFC Championships, one Super Bowl triumph, two regular season MVP awards, one Super Bowl MVP — made him an historic figure in this town.

He accomplished more during his short term as Rams quarterback than all the great Gridbirds from the old days. I'd argue that Warner is the second-greatest St. Louis pro football player ever, right behind running back (and fellow champion) Marshall Faulk.

Warner won it all here. He won it all with an epic performance, too, leading the Rams past the Tennessee Titans in that spectacular Super Bowl 34.

On North America's greatest sports stage, he delivered the ultimate clutch performance. How can anybody ever top that?

Let's face it, St. Louis teams seldom win it all. The Cardinals haven't won it all since 1982, despite the best efforts of managers Whitey Herzog, Joe Torre, Tony La Russa and a legion of great players.

The Blues have never won it all. Bill Bidwill's football Cardinals obviously failed to win it all, too.

In these parts, we see a world championship about as often as we see a comet. And for St. Louis to see a World Championship won in such wildly entertaining fashion . . . well, that was a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

What Warner did at the helm of that '99 Rams team is the stuff of legends. He came from nowhere, an unheralded back-up quarterback liberated from the Arena Football League and NFL Europe.

Each generation of athletes produces storybook figures, but Warner may have been the greatest of them all. A former grocery store stock boy took the NFL's most pathetic franchise and led it to the top, revolutionizing pro offenses in the process.

Had Trent Green not suffered his catastrophic preseason knee injury, he might have passed through the league without making a bit of noise. He might have ended up back in the grocery store, stocking shelves.

Opportunity finally knocked, however, and Warner lived the dream that keeps every spare player going.

All those yards, all those touchdowns, all that drama at the end of the NFC title game and the Super Bowl -- who could ever match those highs? I'd argue that no NFL quarterback has EVER had the year Warner had with that team, given all the circumstances.

Warner nearly did it again in '01, once again leading the Rams to the Super Bowl with a monstrous offensive performance. But then the feisty New England Patriots ruined everything with their Super Bowl 36 upset and the Rams haven't quite been the same since.

Perhaps Warner's injury-related struggles in '02 tarnished his image with some fans. Perhaps his benching last season after one fumble-filled performance at Giants Stadium cost him his icon standing with many.

Perhaps Brenda Warner's weird outbursts and Kurt's own Biblegate controversy made some fans eager to the turn the page. Perhaps Marc Bulger's 18-4 regular-season record prompted many fans to jilt Kurt to rally around The Next New Thing.

But what Warner did for this franchise and this city will loom large for decades to come. He set a performance bar so high in this town that no future Ram may ever reach it.

An era ended Tuesday, an era none of us will ever forget.
    Attached Files

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
    Kurt Warner Ends His Storybook Career
    by r8rh8rmike
    Kurt Warner ends his storybook career

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    01/30/2010

He walked into the room in typical Kurt Warner style, with humility in his heart and a Bible in his hand. And then directly and with clarity announced what everyone expected: that he was retiring after 12 storybook seasons in the NFL.

In no way did he seem conflicted about his decision. The only time he got emotional was after he brought wife Brenda and their seven children onstage at Friday's news conference in Tempe, Ariz.

The MVP awards, the Super Bowls, the amazing statistics will always be associated with Warner. But that's not really what Warner wants as his legacy.

"The one thing that I always want to leave people with ... is that anything is possible," Warner said. "I think that's one of the reasons that God's placed me up here and allowed me to do what I do. To encourage people out there that although sometimes it doesn't look really bright, and there's moments you want to give up ... that anything's possible.

"I hope that when people think back on my career ... that that's what they remember more than anything else. Not the way I threw the football. Not particular games that I won. That they remember that here's a guy that believed, that worked hard, and although things didn't always go in his favor, he continued to press through. And with his faith in himself and with his faith in God, he was able to accomplish great things. That's what I want everybody to remember."

How could we ever forget?

From grocery store clerk in Iowa to triggerman for the Greatest Show on Turf. It was a made-for-TV movie if ever there was one. But then came the wrenching loss to New England in Warner's second Super Bowl. Injuries. The Brenda-gate controversies with Mike Martz.

After his unceremonious release by the Rams following the 2003 season, Warner seemed lost in the wilderness career-wise with the New York Giants, and initially, with the Arizona Cardinals.

"After leaving the Giants, it looked like that was probably it," current Rams general manager Billy Devaney said. "There were questions about him, about his thumb. And then he puts on the glove (on his throwing hand for the 2007 season)."

And suddenly, it was vintage Warner once again, and for the second time in his career he took a woebegone franchise to the Super Bowl. Call it the rise and fall — and rise again — of Warner.

"It's absolutely one of the most amazing stories in sports," said Charley Armey, Rams GM during most of Warner's six-year stay in St. Louis. "It probably never happens again in our lifetime."

"It's an unbelievable story," said Dick Vermeil, head coach of the Rams' Super Bowl championship team. "No quarterback...
    -01-30-2010, 02:10 PM
  • RamFan_Til_I_Die
    Faith driving Warner in another Super Bowl pursuit
    by RamFan_Til_I_Die
    Faith driving Warner in another Super Bowl pursuit
    by Mark Kriegel FOXSports

I'm less than comfortable with the apparent epidemic of religiosity among our nation's quarterbacks.

First, Colt McCoy, fresh from a thrilling win over Ohio State, begins his post-game comments by thanking his "lord and savior Jesus Christ."

Then there's Tim Tebow, whose game and demeanor I rather like, changing the Bible verse he endorses on his eye-black, from "Philippians 4:13" to "John 3:16." As if that might make the difference.

Personally, my own taste in quarterbacks runs toward the epic old-school debauchers, guys like Kenny Stabler and Joe Namath. If I go to Hell for that, then so be it. I refuse to believe that God — anyone's God — has a rooting interest in the outcome of something as secular and perverse as a BCS game.

But now football fans direct their attentions to Arizona, where one of American sports' most prominent God Squaders — Arizona Cardinal quarterback Kurt Warner — takes on the Philadelphia Eagles for the right to go to the Super Bowl. And I can't help but think that the religious guys are, well, blessed with an advantage, a big one at that.

Actually, the issue isn't really religion. It's faith. I don't care what or whom a ballplayer believes in: Jesus, Moses, Buddha, L. Ron Hubbard. I don't care what his position is on stem cell research, abortion, gay rights. But a system of belief — any system, really — that stills the mind and quells doubt is of obvious benefit, particularly if you're an athlete.

Warner's case is as instructive as it is well-known. In 1994, after being cut by the Green Bay Packers, he found himself working the nightshift at a Hy-Vee grocery store near his alma mater, that noted football factory known as Northern Iowa. By 1999, he'd won a Super Bowl ring and the first of his two MVP awards.

His appearance as the starter in Sunday's NFC championship game marks yet another absurdly improbable comeback. Warner had been let go by the Rams and the Giants. His career as anything but a spot starter had been pronounced dead years ago. In his several years in Arizona, he's been a backup to Josh McCown and Matt Leinart, who was named the starter for the 2008 season. Now, having thrown for more than 5,000 yards this season, Warner has a chance to deliver the Cardinals — the Cardinals! — to the Super Bowl.

On some cognitive level, Warner had to know what the rest of us understood too well. Grocery clerks don't often make it to the NFL. Iowa Barnstormers don't go on to become Super Bowl MVPs. Nor do old men beat out Heisman Trophy winners. For Warner to have considered his predicaments in rational terms might well have killed his dream. Statistical analysis frequently inflicts a death by discouragement. But, then, a guy like Warner isn't playing the odds. He's working...
    -01-16-2009, 10:37 PM
  • psycho9985
    Warner on Sunday:Rams game nothing special.
    by psycho9985
    By BOB BAUM
    September 14, 2005

TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) -- Kurt Warner made his fame as quarterback of the St. Louis Rams, then lost his starting job before moving on.

For the first time since that uncomfortable separation two years ago, Warner will go against the Rams, directing the Arizona Cardinals in a matchup Sunday of NFC West teams trying to avoid 0-2 starts.

But he brushed aside any suggestion that he has added motivation for this one.

"Of course how it all came to an end was not how I had dreamed it up and was disappointing for me," Warner said after the Cardinals' worked out Wednesday. "But how do you have any animosity for an organization that gave the opportunities that they gave me, that allowed me to fulfill a dream when nobody else would?"

Warner's abrupt rise from an Arena Football League quarterback to NFL and Super Bowl MVP was the sport's biggest story six years ago. He was league MVP again, and the Rams made the Super Bowl, in 2001.

But injuries slowed him in 2002, and he went down with a concussion in the opener of the 2003 season. Warner never started a game with St. Louis again, watching from the sidelines as Marc Bulger took over.

"It had gotten to the point where we just felt like we needed a change to try and stimulate something, whether it was Kurt or whoever it was in that situation," Rams coach Mike Martz said in a conference call Wednesday. "Unfortunately, it was Kurt. And it was good for Kurt to change scenery probably and get in a different situation."

If any hard feelings linger from those days, Warner is keeping them to himself.

"I still love the people there. I still love the people in that organization," he said. "I still have strong feelings for so many people there that I can't say a bad word. I know you want one, but as of now I've got nothing for you."

Warner signed with the New York Giants, and never got a chance to face the Rams last season. Now that he's with Arizona, he'll get the opportunity twice a season. His previously stated motivation for the entire season is to prove he still can be an elite quarterback.

"That doesn't have anything to do with St. Louis," he said. "I want to prove that to everybody. That has nothing to do with this game or trying to prove it to them. I think they know as an organization what kind of quarterback I am, what I still am."

Warner still has contact with many of his old teammates. He said he talked to Bulger on the phone Tuesday night.

"He's doing great. It was a good conversation," Warner said. "I think...
    -09-14-2005, 07:13 PM
  • RamDez
    Kurt Warner – A Fond Farewell To A Great Man
    by RamDez
    Kurt Warner – A Fond Farewell To A Great Man
    By Barry Waller
    June 3rd, 2004

There are times when covering an NFL team that even the biggest fan
    might find to be more work than enjoyment. Dealing with professional athletes
    is a real pain at times, and trying to give fans the true story when so many rumors have sent them into so many directions is even worse. While there are times that the words fly out of a writer’s mind onto the pages he is composing, there are others when sitting down and rehashing the facts to tell a tale is almost excruciating. If I am doing a column twenty years from now, I probably won’t have had to labor over a story as much as this one.

Oh, sure, nobody died, no beloved sports figure met his maker far too young on the day after Memorial Day, which is the toughest stuff to cover from a personal side; but in a lot of ways, it seems like something truly died for Ramsnation when the team released Kurt Warner. When the long predicted move was made official this past Wednesday however, there was no outcry from Rams fans, no wail of sorrow at a tragic event. Not surprisingly, Warner himself left town with the same class and good feelings that are his trademark.

Like a parent, spouse, or child who has seen a loved one slowly slip away due to illness, those of us who will never forget what #13 meant to a team and a city have little emotion left to give as the irreversible end finally came. They have gone through the same predictable emotions of anger, denial, bargaining, and depression, then a numb acceptance of our fate, as cancer victims, ever since Kurt Warner began showing he was human after all. Ironically, the most incredible and improbable feel good story in NFL history involved a man who embodies everything decent about the human animal, despite his immortal like play when at his best.

As the negative stories and feelings about Warner as the Rams quarterback appeared, they acted upon his legacy like tumors on bodily organs, some spreading and mutating to other areas. We may never know how the negative vibes played a part in what so quickly turned a two time MVP passer into a backup. If Warner shines with the Giants, another team needing the kind of miracle that Warner gave Rams fans and the world in 1999, maybe it will provide a bit of a clue.

I was at Warner’s last start, in the Meadowlands against those same Giants, and as painful as it was having to suffer with him on that day, and suffer the slings and arrows of Giants fans during and following the game, I feel blessed that I got to see as much as I could of Kurt Warner in person. It was that personal contact over the past six seasons that makes his inexplicable fall from grace so distressing.

In the NFL, everyone knows the salary cap, and other factors makes it nearly impossible to keep players for entire careers, something Rams fans have had to...
    -06-06-2004, 04:38 AM
  • r8rh8rmike
    Kurt Warner Tapped For 'Dancing With The Stars'
    by r8rh8rmike
    Kurt Warner tapped for 'Dancing With the Stars'

BY GAIL PENNINGTON
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010

As rumored, former Rams and Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner will waltz and cha cha on the new season of "Dancing the Stars." He'll join five other men and six women including Bristol Palin, 19, the daughter of former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

The other men in the new cast are singer Michael Bolton; Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino from MTV's "Jersey Shore"; actor David Hasselhoff; former NBA forward Rick Fox; and actor-rapper Kyle Massey (Disney's "Cory in the House").

The women are "Brady Bunch" mom and musical theater star Florence Henderson; R&B singer Brandy; actress Jennifer Grey ("Dirty Dancing"); actress and comic Margaret Cho; and Audrina Patridge of MTV reality show "The Hills."

Warner, wearing a plaid sport jacket, was announced by "DWTS" hosts Tom Bergeron and Brooke Burke during a break in the show "Bachelor Pad" Monday night. ABC said of Warner:

Kurt Warner is the first quarterback ever to participate in “Dancing with the Stars.” In 1999 he emerged from obscurity to lead the St. Louis Rams to a victory in Super Bowl XXXIV. In that same year, Warner was named the NFL and Super Bowl Most Valuable Player. As the ringleader of the “Greatest Show on Turf,” he led the Rams to two additional playoff appearances – including another Super Bowl."

Senior producer and head of casting Deena Katz told the Los Angeles Times that Warner was the first person signed for the season. "He was playing until recently, so he couldn’t be on it," Katz is quoted as saying. "Kurt is someone I’ve been dying to have. I’ve been wanting a quarterback from the beginning. But he retired and I said, 'I’m gonna shoot for the moon and get the MVP Super Bowl champion.'"

ABC described Palin as "Alaska's most famous daughter." Bergeron asked her on air what her mother, the former Republican vice presidential candidate, thought of her going on the show. "She's excited for me. She knows it's going to be hard work," Palin said. Will viewers be seeing Sarah Palin in the ballroom? "Hopefully," Bristol said.

The new season of "Dancing With the Stars" debuts with a two-hour episode Monday, Sept. 20. The celebrity-pro pairings will be announced that night.
    -09-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Working...
X