• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown Sets Sights On Starting

Brown Sets Sights on Starting
    Friday, March 31, 2006

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

On the surface, the Rams’ signing of cornerback Fakhir Brown on March 14 might have been a simple afterthought in the grand scheme of the team’s many offseason moves.

But, if Brown has his way, the move will be much more than a simple under the radar signing.

“I am expecting to be a starter,” Brown said. “That’s what I want to be…a starter. I have got big plans for myself.”

It didn’t take much for Brown to agree to a five-year deal with the Rams considering what he perceived as a prime opportunity to have his breakout season.

Soon after his arrival for a free agent visit in mid-March, Brown put pen to paper on a contract. The reasons for his choosing St. Louis were obvious. Jim Haslett, his former head coach in New Orleans is now in charge of the Rams defense, giving Brown a chance for a comfortable transition to St. Louis.

“I look at him like he’s still the head coach because that’s the only thing I know him as,” Brown said. “It seems to me that he will be just the same as he was in New Orleans.”

But, perhaps more important for Brown was what Haslett and the rest of the coaching staff told him about his potential role in St. Louis. In his time with the Saints, Brown had been limited almost exclusively to a role as the nickel back and on special teams until 2004 when he started the final 10 games of the year. He finished that season with two interceptions, three forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and 65 tackles.

Brown seemed to be on the verge of a breakout after that performance, but things changed again after he chose to stage a holdout in hopes of a new contract. He didn’t miss any minicamp or training camp, but it didn’t help to miss a chunk of the offseason conditioning program.

Brown started the year as the team’s starting cornerback in 2005, but suffered a knee injury that cost him four games. By the time he returned from that injury and a legal issue, Fred Thomas had the starting job essentially nailed down.

When he was on the field, he was playing in nickel or sub packages, only called upon when opponents went to three or four receiver packages. Brown started four games and finished with 31 tackles, six passes defended.

Now, Brown has the contract he had been looking for after 2004 and the opportunity that he has long sought.

“It feels very good for me,” Brown said. “I talked to the defensive coaches once I made it here. I have talked to the coaches and everyone is making me feel comfortable and at home. They are just telling me to keep doing what I have been doing and everything will work out well.”

In signing with St. Louis, Brown joins a crowded defensive back field that is wanting for talented cover men. As it stands, the Rams are counting on Jerametrius Butler to return from injury to handle the top corner job with Ron Bartell, Travis Fisher and DeJuan Groce in place behind him.

It seems likely that Butler will regain his starting spot and Bartell, Fisher, Groce and Brown will compete for the spot opposite Butler. At 5’11, 192 pounds, Brown has the type of size to win the job. Coach Scott Linehan has made it clear that Brown will get a chance to win the job.

In Arabic, Brown says Fakhir means “superb,” something the Rams’ 30th ranked defense wasn’t anywhere near a year ago. But Brown thinks that could change sooner than later.

Whether Brown starts or not will ultimately be decided by how he performs in the preseason. And it certainly won’t be the first time he has been forced to fight for a job.

“There will be a lot of competition, but I am up for it,” Brown said.

Re: Brown Sets Sights On Starting

This is an encouraging post:granted I am one who has been critical of this signing because I believe that some of this money would have been better spent on R. Pickett; but at any rate, it looks like Brown is going to compete hard. Does anybody have any info on Mr. Brown like, college, and etc.?

WHAT SAY YE?

Comment

Good. The more competition there is at each position, the better. Between Butler, Bartell, Fisher, Groce, and Brown, surely there will be a couple that will step up.
      The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

“I am expecting to be a starter,” Brown said. “That’s what I want to be…a starter. I have got big plans for myself.”
        I am really getting tired of hearing all the talk. What happened to quietly fighting to improve and then showing it on the field before you talked about it?

The age of information overload is starting to make this time of year difficult to get through. Four articles here that look like they were based off the same interview of SJ. Yet, I still read in case 1 reporter had a pience of info everyone else missed.

Man, I hate the off-season...
        This space for rent...

Comment

That is the off-season for you. Everybody jumps on anything anybody says and turns it into a feature 'cause there's no real news. If a player said "I'm just going to go out there and do my best next year" it would probably still get dissected. If the players don't do interviews, the media characterizes them as aloof or loners. If they seem to enjoy doing them too much, they are prima donnas.

Anyway, if it motivates him to be better, let him jabber all he wants. If he wants to raise the bar on expectations for himself, more power to him. Just imagine what the pre-season speculation is going to be like with five guys in the mix for two starting positions.

Comment

Heres some info:

Pro Career

2003: Appeared in all 16 games in a reserve role for the Saints. Posted 20 tackles and eight passes defensed. Also was major contributor on special teams.

2002: After re-signing with the Saints, Sept. 6, Brown appeared in 12 games and went on to shine in the team's defensive and special teams packages, recording 16 tackles, five passes defensed, one forced fumble, 13 special teams tackles and leading the team with two special teams fumble recoveries...Brown was deactivated for games at Carolina, Nov. 10, at Atlanta, Nov. 17 and vs. Tampa Bay, Dec. 1.

2001: After being waived by the Chargers at the end of the preseason, Brown spent 2001 out of football.

2000: Finished season with 35 tackles and an interception...Ranked third on squad with 10 passes defensed...Missed first seven games of season with shoulder injury...Returned to action in Week 8 and started final eight games at LCB...Recorded first career interception, Nov. 19, at Denver.

1999: Played in nine games as a rookie and collected 31 tackles, two pass defenses and a forced fumble; Added a stop on special teams...Started three contests...Spent first three weeks of season on practice squad before playing first career game, Oct. 10 at Detroit&Made first career NFL start vs. Cleveland, Dec 5, and had six tackles in 23-10 win...Had career-best 10 tackles in season finale, a 12-6 win at Denver.

1998: Spent season with Toronto Argonauts of CFL...Played in six games and recorded 13 tackles, one interception and four stops on special teams.

College Career

Played two seasons at Grambling...Led team and earned defensive player of the year honors with five interceptions in 1997...Returned 17 punts for 6.2 yard average...Finished collegiate career with 68 tackles, six interceptions and 11 pass break-ups...Majored in drafting and design.

Personal Bio

Had an outstanding career at Mansfield (La.) HS...Part owner of a musical studio in Mansfield called Superb Records. His partner in the venture is recording artist Crystal, who has released three albums, featuring a mix of blues and gospel tracks...Full name: Fakhir Hamin Brown...Born Sept. 21, 1977 in Detroit, Mich.

Comment

When people open their mouths and say these things like Jackson did and Brown, they must mean it or else they'll make themselves look like a damn fool.
              Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Comment

Love his attitude. Lets hope if he starts he becomes a playmaker.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
                  Brown Happy to Be Back
                  by RamWraith
                  Thursday, October 4, 2007

By Nick Wagoner
                  Senior Writer

Like any other Rams fan watching the team the past four weeks, Fakhir Brown couldn’t help but be frustrated as he watched his team fall to 0-4.

And Brown knows exactly what it was like to be a Rams fan the past four weeks. After a suspension for violation of the league’s substance abuse policy, Brown was forced to miss the first four games. At least in terms of playing in the games.

But Brown wasn’t about to let a suspension force him to miss the games altogether. Brown attended all four games and did it like any other fan. He walked up to the ticket office, forked over face value for seats for he and his brother and watched the games from the stands.

“It was hard to sit back, wanting to be out there,” Brown said. “I learned a whole lot and saw a whole lot different things than being out there on the field. In a way I got something out of it. I really wanted to be out there playing.”

While Brown felt the frustration of the team’s difficult start like any fan, he is different from them. He can actually do something about it.

Brown returned to the practice field Wednesday morning for the first time since the conclusion of the preseason. After a plethora of injuries and a pair of suspensions, getting back any healthy starters is a plus for the banged up Rams.

Coach Scott Linehan said he could tell Brown was back immediately and Brown was instantly plugged back into the lineup as a starter.

“It was noticeable having him back out there, getting hands on balls, and tight on coverage,” Linehan said. “It’s nice to have him back out there. My message to the football team was, ‘we started our climb back into being healthy and getting our roster back into place with Fakhir being out there and Richie (Incognito) being out there today.’ Hopefully we’ve turned a corner.”

The timing of Brown’s return could probably have been a little better considering the success someone named Patrick Crayton had last week against the St. Louis secondary. But in Brown’s absence, young Ron Bartell has played well and established himself as a player capable of handling a starting job.

Also in Brown’s absence, the Rams lost fellow starter Tye Hill to a back injury that has kept him on the sideline since the opener against Carolina.

That injury left Bartell, Lenny Walls and Jonathan Wade as the team’s primary cornerbacks. Upon Brown’s return, though, Linehan and defensive coordinator Jim Haslett wasted no time in putting him back in the starting lineup opposite Bartell and in place of Walls.

Considering Arizona’s talent at wide receiver with the likes of Anquan Boldin (though he’s injured and might not play), Larry Fitzgerald and Bryant Johnson, Brown’s return to form will have to be expedited.

“He’s a big guy with...
                  -10-04-2007, 03:43 PM
                • Nick
                  Brown Hopes to be the Right Choice at Tackle
                  by Nick
                  Brown Hopes to be the Right Choice at Tackle
                  Friday, April 15, 2005
                  By Nick Wagoner
                  Staff Writer

Jammal Brown always knew that one day he would be lining up in the trenches in the NFL. According to Brown, it was predestined that one day he would be going head to head with someone about his size on Sundays.

Of course, Brown always thought he would be doing his business on the defensive side of the ball. Coming out of McArthur High in Lawton, Okla., Brown was one of the top defensive tackles in the nation. After committing to the home-state Sooners, Brown arrived ready to put pressure on the quarterback.

When Oklahoma asked him to protect the signal-caller instead, Brown thought about transferring. All he ever wanted was to play defense and nearly moved to Miami to become a Hurricane.

Four years later, here Brown sits as one of the top offensive tackles awaiting his fate in the April 23 NFL Draft. Standing 6-feet-6 and 313 pounds, Brown possesses excellent quickness and burst off the ball. But it is his mean, nasty streak that sets him apart from other tackles.

In his final two years at Oklahoma, Brown allowed just one sack, a testament to his spiteful disposition on the football field.

“I just know that I was always taught to not let anybody get near your quarterback, so that’s what I did,” Brown said. “It’s a personal thing because you don’t want those guys just to beat you and all of the fingers will be pointing at you. So, I just make sure that no one comes close to him.”

Brown’s quarterback, Jason White, was so well protected that he won the Heisman Trophy two seasons ago and finished in the top five last year. In fact, Brown and the rest of the offensive line were so dominant this past season that running back Adrian Peterson was also a Heisman finalist. Brown earned the Outland Trophy as the nation’s top interior lineman for his efforts in 2004.

Things haven’t been easy for Brown throughout his college career, though. He suffered a serious knee sprain in fall camp before the 2000 season. He missed the entire year. Then, in his final college game, against USC in the Orange Bowl, Brown suffered a left shoulder strain. The injury wasn’t serious, but also came in the middle of a shellacking by the Trojans adding insult to injury.

Since that final game, Brown has done nothing to hurt his draft stock. He is clearly one of the three best tackles in the draft after having an impressive pro day at Oklahoma and running a solid 5.01 in the 40-yard dash at the combine.

One thing Brown has going for him is the fact that he is pretty much built to play right tackle because of his run blocking ability. He will probably be the second offensive tackle off the board after Florida State’s Alex Barron. One team that could have its eyes on Brown is St. Louis.

In need of a right...
                  -04-18-2005, 04:41 AM
                • ramsplaya16
                  Brown Hoping for Reduced Suspension
                  by ramsplaya16
                  Brown Hoping for Reduced Suspension
                  Monday, July 30, 2007

By Nick Wagoner
                  Senior Writer

For all of his football playing life, Fakhir Brown has
                  spent his preseasons preparing for the season opener.
                  This year, things are a bit different and the
                  adjustment has been tough for the Rams’ cornerback.

“I had been thinking about it and I just kind of
                  prepared myself for it,” Brown said. “It’s been a long
                  time going into a camp knowing that I wasn’t going to
                  be able to play so it’s kind of difficult.”

Brown’s training camp difficulties stem from a July 13
                  suspension from the league for what was termed a
                  “violation of the NFL’s substance abuse policy.” The
                  suspension has Brown scheduled to miss the first four
                  games of the NFL season.

But Brown has appealed the suspension and is hopeful
                  that his side of the story will be enough to get it
                  reduced or, best case scenario, eliminated altogether.
                  At the time of the suspension, the league did not give
                  details on the suspension, but Brown says he did not
                  fail any kind of drug test.

Rather, Brown says a miscommunication between he and
                  the NFL’s testing services led to a missed test which
                  in turn resulted in a suspension.

“I was out of town and things get mixed up, there’s
                  new guys working and they are just doing what they are
                  told,” Brown said. “It’s just a misunderstanding.”

The NFL drug testing policy allows the testers to come
                  to a player’s home and administer a test to players in
                  the program without warning or notice. If a player is
                  out on vacation or somewhere other than the address he
                  has given the testing service, he must call and tell
                  the testers at what address he can be found.

In Brown’s case, he says he informed the testers he
                  would be out of town for the Fakhir Brown Football
                  Camp in his hometown of Mansfield, Louisiana. Brown
                  says he gave an address in Shreveport, where he was
                  staying while the camp was in Mansfield.

When the testers came, Brown was nowhere to be found
                  and says he was suspended for missing the test.
                  Because Brown was already in the program, the missed
                  test is a suspendable offense.

“It’s tough,” Brown said. “But that’s just how life
                  is. Sometimes when you are in the right you get
                  accused of doing something wrong and there are times
                  when you are wrong and you get away with it. That’s
                  life. You just have to deal with it.”

While the Rams are moving forward as though they will
                  be without Brown for the first four games, he is
                  maintaining hope that he will be allowed back. He is
                  practicing with the team during training camp, but his
                  repetitions...
                  -07-30-2007, 09:15 PM
                  Fakhir Brown
                  by Guest
                  Has anyone heard anything about Brown because after listening to Jim Thomas on the radio to me it seems like the rams feel like he might not be available to them at the beginning of this season if not longer just like last year. He never comes out and says that but he alludes that they know something they can't really talk about.

I listened to it on STL Sports Insider - St. Louis Rams
                  -03-23-2008, 12:40 PM
                • RamsFan16
                  Rams have a 'superb' cornerback
                  by RamsFan16
                  Rams have a 'superb' cornerback
                  By Jim Thomas
                  ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                  04/24/2006

FILE PHOTO: St. Louis Rams safety Fakhir Brown (26) guards wide receiver Dominique Thompson (in white, at right) during Saturday's mini-camp at Rams Park in Earth City.
                  ( HUY RICHARD MACH/P-D)

Cornerback Fakhir Brown is superb.

Really. He is.

"'Fakhir' means 'superb,'" Brown explained during Rams minicamp over the weekend. "My father named me."

The Rams obviously hope Brown can play up to his name after signing him to a five-year, $12 million free-agent contract in March.

"I'm coming here to start," Brown says confidently. "That's what I plan to do - to be a starter."

That may come as news to incumbents Jerametrius Butler and Travis Fisher. Fisher has been a primary starter at corner since 2002 but missed 14 games over the past two seasons because of injuries. Butler missed the entire '05 season after starting 31 games at cornerback in '03 and '04.

The Rams' signing of Brown is part of a concerted effort to upgrade the secondary.

"Obviously, that's been an area of concern based on how they've played as of late," coach Scott Linehan said. "The thing I like about Fakhir is he's a competitor. He backs down to nobody.

"He'll come up to bump, has no problem doing it. One of the reasons is he has nice size (5 feet 11, 197 pounds). He's a guy that has a rare combination of athleticism, speed and size. The knock on him coming here was he wasn't able to stay completely healthy."

Born in Detroit, Brown played his high school football in Mansfield (La.), and stayed in Louisiana for college at Grambling State. After college, he spent a year in the Canadian Football League with Toronto, then signed with San Diego in the NFL as an undrafted free agent in 1999. He appeared in 18 games, including 11 starts for the Chargers over the next two seasons, missing seven games in 2000 with a shoulder injury.

Cut at the end of the preseason in 2001, Brown spent a year out of football before landing with New Orleans in 2002. He didn't miss a game in '03 and '04 for the Saints, starting the final 10 contests of '04 at right corner.

At the start of last season, he was considered the Saints' best corner. But just when it looked as if his career was taking off, he suffered a fluke injury in practice.

"I was really trying to make the Pro Bowl," Brown said. "That's what one of my goals was, but I had the little freak accident."

In practice before the second game of the season, Brown collided with defensive end Darren Howard, suffering a bone bruise to his left knee.

"They tried to drain it, but it kept flaring back up, so I had to just let it rest...
                  -04-25-2006, 06:39 AM
                Working...
                X