Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams Re-sign Te Cleeland

By ClanRam Staff

TE Cameron Cleeland has re-signed with the St. Louis Rams, the team announced today.

Cleeland, 6-5, 270, will enter his second season in St. Louis, after playing in all 16 contests, starting 10, last season for the Rams. Cleeland made 10 receptions for 145 yards last year, adding a 28-yard reception in the playoffs. His best game in 2003 came at Pittsburgh 10/26, as Cleeland hauled in two passes for a season-high 54 yards.

Prior to last season, Cleeland spent one season with New England after playing his first four NFL campaigns in New Orleans. He was originally a second round selection (40th overall) by the Saints in the 1998 NFL Draft out of Washington, joined the Patriots prior to the 2002 season, and the Rams prior to the 2003 season, both as an unrestricted free agent.

During his six NFL seasons, Cleeland has played in 64 games, starting 43. The University of Washington product has caught 119 passes for 1,404 yards with 12 touchdowns.
    Attached Files

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamDez
    Rams Make Roster Moves
    by RamDez
    By ClanRam staff

TE Joel Jacobs, S Justin Lucas, and QB Russ Michna have signed with the St. Louis Rams. In another roster move, the Rams released TEs Spencer Nead and John Frieser.

Jacobs, 6-3, 250, is a rookie from Nebraska-Kearney. He is one of only three players in school history to earn first-team all-conference honors three times, as he caught 66 passes for 623 yards and six touchdowns in his career. The Mullen, NE native made 27 receptions for 228 yards as a senior.

Lucas, 5-10, 211, will enter his sixth NFL season in 2004 after playing his first five professional seasons for the Arizona Cardinals. The Abilene Christian product has played in 58 games, with eight starts in his NFL career, and has tallied 141 tackles (81 solo) with two interceptions. Last season, Lucas played in 11 games, notching 23 tackles (17 solo), adding four special teams tackles.

Michna, 6-1, 224, is a rookie from Western Illinois. The former Leatherneck earned Gateway Football Conference Offensive Player of the Year honors as a junior and senior, leading WIU to a 20-6 record and two trips to the quarterfinal round of the NCAA Division I-AA playoffs. As a senior, he threw for a school-record 3,160 yards and 21 touchdowns on 211 of 371 passing, adding 167 yards on 70 rushing attempts and four touchdowns.

Nead, 6-4, 259, played in 10 games with two starts as a rookie in 2003 at fullback and tight end, catching one pass for six yards. The product of BYU ended the season on the practice squad.

Frieser, 6-4, 260, was a rookie from Colgate....
    -06-04-2004, 03:19 PM
  • RamWraith
    Cleeland's back as Rams face familiar foe
    by RamWraith
    By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Saturday, Oct. 08 2005

Some nine months after the fact, Cam Cleeland remains a target for some mostly
    good-natured ribbing in his hometown of Mount Vernon, Wash.

"I still have friends that call me, 'Why'd you do that to us?'" Cleeland said.
    "And I say, 'What did you want me to do? Drop it?'"

The scene was Qwest Field in Seattle, about 50 miles south of Mount Vernon. The
    date was Jan. 8, the event a first-round playoff game between Cleeland's Rams
    and the Seattle Seahawks.

The score was 20-20 late in the fourth quarter when quarterback Marc Bulger
    lofted a pass high over the middle in the direction of the 6-foot-5, 270-pound
    Cleeland.

"I didn't see anything except the ball," said Cleeland, a longtime Seahawks fan
    and a University of Washington product. "I said, 'You'd better hang on to this
    sucker.'"

Hang on, he did, despite a crushing hit by free safety Ken Hamlin a
    split-second after the ball arrived. The 17- yard touchdown gave the Rams a
    27-20 victory. It was Cleeland's only scoring catch of the season, and his last
    reception in Rams blue-and-gold. Or, so it seemed.

When Roland Williams was signed as a free agent in March, Cleeland's two-year
    stretch as the Rams' No. 2 tight end was over.

Asked if he was disappointed that the Rams jettisoned him so abruptly, Cleeland
    said: "Maybe a little bit. But when it comes down to it, it is
    business. And I've learned that this league is about what's productive and
    what's good for the team.

"Of course I wanted to come back and play. But ... Roland came in, and I wasn't
    upset or offended at all."

Battling injuries

At age 30, Cleeland has played seven NFL seasons. He was New Orleans'
    second-round draft choice in 1998 and caught 54 passes for 684 yards as a
    rookie. Largely because of a series of injuries, he never reached such totals
    again. He missed the entire 2000 season with a ruptured Achilles' tendon, spent
    one more year with the Saints and then a season with New England. Cleeland
    signed with the Rams as a free agent in March 2003.

He played in 32 regular-season games over two seasons, catching 17 passes for
    202 yards. His lone Rams TD came in front of a gaggle of friends and family,
    and booted the Seahawks from the postseason.

He called the experience "surreal."

Content in his co-ownership role in a condominium- and custom-home construction
    business he runs with his brother-in-law, Cleeland spurned a couple of tryout
    offers last summer.

He and Tim Roberson got the firm...
    -10-09-2005, 08:54 AM
  • RamDez
    In a different arena, Cleeland did his best
    by RamDez
    As a tight end, Cameron Cleeland is best known for what once was done to him and for what he hasn't been able to do. He sustained damage to one of his eyes during an infamous training camp hazing incident his rookie season with New Orleans and has had difficulty avoiding injury since.

In six seasons with the Saints, Patriots (2002), and Rams (last year), he has played in every game only twice because of an assortment of injuries, among them three to his Achilles' tendons.

Not since he caught 54 passes in 1998 after arriving as a second-round pick out of the University of Washington has Cleeland been on the field long enough to meet the expectations.

But when Judgment Day arrives, Cleeland will be able to say that, for one moment at least, he did what he should have done.

Around 8:45 p.m. last Sunday, Timothy Roth's car struck a tree near the intersection of Little Mountain and Amick roads, southeast of Mount Vernon, Wash., which is about 70 miles north of Seattle. Roth's 1994 Ford Taurus became engulfed in flames.

He had to be airlifted to Seattle's Harborview Medical Center, where he died at around 3 a.m. the next day from burns, according to the Washington State Patrol. Roth was 22.

When Cleeland came upon the accident scene, he didn't drive by or place an emergency call from his mobile phone, as perhaps many would have.
    Cleeland, who is from nearby Sedro Woolley, pulled over and did unto another what he would have done unto him.

Rather than wait for the Big Lake Fire Department, Cleeland attempted to fight the blaze with an extinguisher, state troopers said, and while trying to remove the car's air bag from Roth's face, he suffered another injury -- severe burns to the hands with which he makes his living.

Fortunately, Cleeland is still alive, and apparently in the days since his rescue attempt has been thinking more about Roth and his family than about himself.

Rams spokesman Artis Twyman said he spoke last week with Cleeland, who is unsigned, and the tight end requested that the Rams not put out a news release and decline interviews on his behalf.

"Cam was really shaken up about it when I talked to him," Twyman said.
    "I tried to talk to him but I could tell he didn't want to talk about it too much or go in depth, out of respect for the family.

"He said it's something you really don't want to experience in life. It must have been really bad; I could hear him getting choked up."

A memorial service for Roth was held yesterday in Langley, Wash.

As for Cleeland, he may have been a Patriot for only a season, but he will be a hero for the rest of his life....
    -05-30-2004, 06:30 AM
  • RamWraith
    Cleeland tires to rescue
    by RamWraith
    ESPN.com's John Clayton reports free agent TE Cam Cleeland (Rams) risked his life to try and rescue a 22-year old motorist from a burning car Sunday, May 23, that had been lodged roadside between two 100-foot trees in Mount Vernon, Washington. The victim, Timothy Roth, died once he arrived at the hospital. "It was an unbelievable situation," Cleeland said. "I was coming back from a softball game, and driving along Little Mountain Road. I was coming around the road and there was a car. And there was a fire." Cleeland did not suffer any injuries and was only treated for smoke inhalation after the incident.
    -06-01-2004, 03:39 PM
  • RamWraith
    Rams' Cam Cleeland criticizes former team before showdown
    by RamWraith
    St. Louis plays host to New Orleans

BY STEVE KORTE
    [email protected]

ST. LOUIS - St. Louis Rams tight end Cam Cleeland doesn't mince words when talking about his dislike for his former team, the New Orleans Saints.

"I want to kick the living tar out of these guys more than anything," Cleeland said.

Preparing to the play the Saints this Sunday at Edward Jones Dome has brought back bad memories for Cleeland. He was a second-round draft pick of the Saints in 1998 and played four seasons in the Big Easy before leaving as an unrestricted free agent in 2002.

Cleeland still harbors a grudge against the Saints' organization, the media covering the team and coach Jim Haslett.

"If there is a chance to be on the sideline on a flat route, let's just say he'll be looking for me," Cleeland said of Haslett. "I'm not saying that I am going to go after him. He'll probably try to (pat my butt) or something. Let's just see."

Cleeland was with the Saints when their rivalry against the Rams was its hottest during the 1999 through 2001 seasons.

"I think after (the Rams) won the Super Bowl there was an arrogance thing that (Haslett) thought the Rams had, and the Saints got no respect," Cleeland said. "Right now, the Saints don't deserve respect."

The rivalry went cold after the Saints were moved from the NFC West to the NFC South during the NFL's realignment prior to the 2002 season.

"Now that I'm on the other side, it's kind of weird," Cleeland said. "I know what they are preaching down there, I know what they are telling them. They're saying, 'They're soft. They're weak. We beat them up before. They are going to turn the ball over a ton.' I know exactly what they are doing."

Cleeland said Haslett had an especially bitter rivalry with Rams coach Mike Martz.

"There is no love lost there," Cleeland said. "Coach Haslett, he is a blue-collar guy, he is going to speak his mind all the time. He wants to kick our butt big time. If there is one game he really wants to win, it was this one. He has a lot to prove, so we just have to shut him up."

Speaking on a conference call with St. Louis media, Haslett disagreed with Cleeland's comments about his relationship with Martz.

"Mike and I have a great respect for each other," Haslett said. "I talk to him all the time when we go to the league meetings. I know he has done an excellent job. He has built one of the best offenses ever in the history of football. It would be fun to work for such an offensive mind."

Cleeland said he wasn't worried about providing the Saints with a whole bundle of bulletin board material.

"They'll probably all laugh at it and think it's a joke," Cleeland...
    -09-23-2004, 11:36 AM
Working...
X