Sport writers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sport writers

As a one time paying sponsor of that “other site” and a long time St. Louis sports fan, there are few things just burning me up about this city and football. Why is it that the Post-Dispatch can not hire some real journalist that actually cares about the Rams?

We have Bernie. Who my mind is the biggest hybrid pencil pushing opinionated redneck that could just as well write a Dear Bernie column. Then we have this Jim Thomas guy that has to the biggest baseball cheerleader this side of the San Diego chicken. Then there is the great Howard Balzer who is more concerned about how to turn a penny into a quarter then he is actually Rams. If the Bungels moved to St. Louis he would break out the orange and black faster than you can say turncoat. He goes where ever the money takes him. How about Randy Krakekrerkarekr. His last name sounds like a bird call. The guy can write though. Problem is he writes when he feels like it and when he can fit it in his busy schedule.

Re: Sport writers

Won't get much agreement here about Howard.

Bernie is another story...

Comment

Coulnd't agree more UD. We have some serious issues with the media. Its a basball town and everyone is worrie about themsleves. Problem is the Post has no competition in the area, maybe another paper would help the sports end of it as well. Either way what is there now sucks! You can't tell me there is NO news but Warner going on at Rams Park right now.

Comment

There used to be two....but the Globe Democrat went belly up years ago.

Bernie rocks......

Comment

I think Underdog you have highlighted a problem more universal than most care to admit. It seems unless the writer is independant on his own right he must be careful not to offend the "wrong" person.. He needs to earn a living and has his own belief system. The internet is the true revolution in the making. One's opinions no longer are filtered through dominant political systems. The only thing I think it would be fair to depend on a sports writer for is for a new fact that others haven't got access to. From that we can then all go off on tangents and assert what we think it truely means. But to place unquestioned faith in every word and nuance they write is an exercise in self-deception.

Comment

Here's the real deal people. The outsiders are the key people inspiring this clan of rams fans to be heard. Ever since the Clanram site was created, we have been that voice. Now that they (theinsiders) got the fan involved they go ahead and demand that we put out our hard earn dollars for some well known writer with no loyalty and a up and coming writer in Waller. Top it off with some contributors.
            The gridiron gateway is nothing with home ground passionate sports writers that the st.louis fans can relate in the football scene. It needs real fan writers with a heart for the truth and to spark this team when it is down or up. I for one think that Dez is the ultimate Rams fan. We all can now make our own sportswriters from this portal. People willing to voice there concerns and all their joy for the football franchise we love. Because we are DIEHARDS!

No Balzer and Waller will ever give us the passionate feel for our team. We live and breathe Rams football year round. That is the field goal my fellow DIEHARDS.

Comment

I think that is a crock. My job takes me too many NFL cities around the country, and I have ton of opportunities to read and hear the local sport reporters. I will say 90% of them are passionate about their team. They are fans as well as reporters. They have a flare for their reports that comes across to its readers. We have nothing but money hungry, unsupportive, pay check collecting, negative seeking hounds. I say go to Kansas City so we can hire some real sport columnist.

Originally posted by adarian_too
              I think Underdog you have highlighted a problem more universal than most care to admit. It seems unless the writer is independant on his own right he must be careful not to offend the "wrong" person.. He needs to earn a living and has his own belief system. The internet is the true revolution in the making. One's opinions no longer are filtered through dominant political systems. The only thing I think it would be fair to depend on a sports writer for is for a new fact that others haven't got access to. From that we can then all go off on tangents and assert what we think it truely means. But to place unquestioned faith in every word and nuance they write is an exercise in self-deception.

Comment

Bernie's the man. I really enjoy his regular contributions on the radio when the RAMS are in season. Errrrr.....well, you know what I mean.

formerly deathbyramin. I got a new attitude.
                Last edited by live4ramin; -06-10-2004, 07:29 PM.
                Look away. I'm hideous. __ Cozmo Kramer

Comment

I don't know any sports writers personally, but from reading many of their articles, I am not so sure they are fans of the teams they report on. Fans of the game? Maybe, but not passionate fans of the team. So often when I read their words, they make reference to the fans and many times this reference is in the form of ridicule. To me, this indicates that they are not fans or they consider themselves above the fans. Their jobs are based on objectivity and credibility, something a passionate fan, of a team, often lacks. Maybe this is why fans and reporters don't relate well to one another? I consider most reporters to be standoffish and arrogant towards their paying customers, the fans.

Comment

I think part of the problem is that by nature, they need to make money and sell papers. The fans opinion may not sell as much copy or be read by as many non fans(rams and otherwise) as a controversial writen piece, something that inspires debate or emotion. (bernie inspires reactions every time!) I know it might be nice to have a fan writing about your team, but maybe getting an alternitive opinion from a non fan on events can be a good thing. Being the freak that I am I find bernie entertaining, he always inspires thought and debate among fans (good or BAD) and it gives me a handle on how some people can get a different spin on things. I take it with a pinch of salt too, its only somebodys opinion thats being printed after all.

I suppose its all down to personal preference, hearing it from a non fan, for me, may make it more genuine as they are not colored by their love of the team. By the same token though, hearing it from somebody who has no knoledge or a unhealthy hate for who they are reporting for can be even more biased than a fans eye view,
                    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

Comment

I think you guys have too high expectations from professional sports writers in general, including these here in St. Louis. Cut em some slack.

It's always struck me as odd to watch a guy, say he's a true expert / fan of boxing, and has a show on boxing... to watch him then call or write about a bb game, or football game.... hummn. I don't expect a guy to be passionate about every sport. Yet he's required by his job to put out a weekly column on the sport of the week.

And by now, you guys should have figured out that some professional writers are deliberately outrageous, just to push the reader's buttons..... it gets them attention and notoriety. They may not even believe in what they are saying / writing, but they do it, to acheive a claim to fame. If they go to far, then they "apologize" insincerely.
                      Don't let em play you.

Sports writers are not paid well. Neither are they experts in truth, logic, or research. They want to voice their thoughts and opinions, inform, and entertain. Sometimes it is difficult to all well. Cut em some slack and don't take em so serious.

I think that this thread voices the idea that it is the passionate fans that produce the most informed, and well thought-out articles. I agree. Although their writing style may lack, their committment to the facts, and their passion come through. And I think that is what we have here on this forum. And, they're friendly too. [Except for Utterblitz who refuses a kind word to anyone]. :-)

Comment

I guess you could say your right Mr. Bacon. I come here to read these pages because I feel the passion here. There is an aura of dedication that keeps me coming back. Fact remains though; there is more of a love in other cities for their home town team then here in St. Louis.

In fact I am sitting here in my hotel in Denver and listening to local sports program on the radio, and the announcers here have so much passion for Bronco's. If you didn't know better you would think Denver was heading to the Super Bowl next week. For every point made by anyone these guys have a counter point to why they think they will be successful. All I am saying is I would really like some local reporters to be fans. Whether it comes from the radio, paper or TV, give football its just due in St. Louis

Comment

I'm planning on going into Journalism when I go to college, so maybe, just maybe, I'll be a writer for the Rams some day.

Comment

Disco, don't go into journalism. Pleeeese don't go into journalism. It ain't a happy life. Getting a good paying job is tough. Go into engineering and pursue journalism on the side.

Comment

Well guys i agree with bacon. The facts are hard to swallow but I too enjoy the forums format and the passion that every diehard rams fan come with when voicing there joy or despair with our team and the hometown sports writers. I will leave you with these facts.
                              As a LA native before the team moved to the Midwest. I will have to say the Raiders got more press to being silver and black and not that good. The LA media did not cover the NFL (Rams) with any passion or fanfare. So as I went to St. Louis i noticed that the town was a true sportstown and that my Rams were truly loved. Sure the writers can improve but when it comes down to being in LA or St. Louis. Hey i will always take the Midwest for their hardworking and passionate love for my Rams. :helmet:

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• MauiRam
                                More Bernie !!!
                                by MauiRam
                                Miklasz leaves radio to focus on Post-Dispatch, STLtoday.com
                                Print
                                3 hours ago • By Dan Caesar

The major upheaval in St. Louis sports-talk radio now is shifting to hit the market leader in the format. Bernie Miklasz is set to leave WXOS to expand his duties at his primary employer, the Post-Dispatch and its STLtoday.com website.

The move, announced Wednesday, is to take effect after Miklasz’s radio contract expires at the end of April. Miklasz has been a Post-Dispatch sports columnist since 1989 and said a long thought process led to his decision to stop hosting a sports radio show — something he has been doing in St. Louis since he returned to the Post-Dispatch and succeeded Kevin Horrigan in giving his opinions on sports. Miklasz has mixed his writing work with stints at KMOX (1120 AM), KFNS (590 AM), what currently is KXFN (1380 AM) and now at 101.1 FM.

His impending departure from hosting a midday sports-talk show comes at a time of unprecedented turmoil locally in the format. It recently was announced that KFNS, the longest-standing station in jock-jabber, will switch to ‘’guy-talk’’ this spring and its sister outlet, KXFN, will drop sports for programming that targets women. Adding to that is that 101.1 has had a major ratings drop, but Miklasz said his decision isn’t related to any of those issues.

He said on his 53rd birthday, in February 2012, he woke up and said to himself that he had to take control of his health. The first thing he did was lose a significant amount of weight. His second big goal was to streamline his professional life and work for one employer instead of spreading himself out. And now is the time, because his radio contract is about to expire.

“I’ve always loved writing more (than radio), it’s my calling,’’ Miklasz said. “Whatever good things I have in my life professionally have been because of the Post-Dispatch. It has led to other opportunities. When I was a high-school kid, my dream was to be a writer. I’ve always wanted to be a writer. The stress of trying to do two jobs was too much. I don’t expect anyone to have sympathy, not at all, but I never could shut my brain down. I was constantly worrying about the next day’s show, waking up in the middle of the night and sending emails to my producer about this or that. It was starting to wear me out. I’m very intense about work and it was really, really difficult to be pulled in different directions, as much as I love (both).

“If I didn’t (drop one) it was going to be a matter of working 16 hours a day, seven days a week for the rest of my life. Nobody can maintain that pace.’’

He talked to WXOS, Fox Sports Midwest and the Post-Dispatch while deciding where to try to consolidate his work duties.

“The Post-Dispatch was unbelievable about their commitment of stepping up and creating a job that will expand on my roles as a writer but also...
                                -03-28-2013, 03:55 PM
                              • Bar-bq
                                Bernie - Rams Fate is a matter of NFL Integrity
                                by Bar-bq
                                David left yesterday. Bernie's back today. Make of that what you will....
                                -09-01-2015, 05:51 AM
                              • AvengerRam_old
                                Bernie, negligent retention, and the missing piece to the Samir Suleiman story
                                by AvengerRam_old
                                Let's review:

Bernie reports that he received a seemingly threatening voice mail from Rams' executive Samir Suleiman (to BM's credit, it appears he didn't make this up).

Rams announce that Suleiman will receive a reprimand.

Now, as an initial point, one must ask - why did Bernie feel the need to report this? Certainly, its not newsworthy (other than for tabloid value, that is). Certainly, Bernie could have simply reported the matter to the Rams privately (perhaps he would have enhanced his relationship with the team if he had done so). But, true to his nature (making himself the story whenever possible) Bernie ran with it.

But, now that the story is apparently concluded, am I the only person who thinks there's something missing here?

Let me put on my lawyer hat for a moment. There is a common law theory recognized in most jurisdictions which is called "negligent retention." Essentially, if an employer learns that an employee has potentially dangerous propensities, and retains him or her nonetheless, it can be held liable in negligence for any subsequent harm caused by that employee.

Because of the existence of this theory, employers will typically protect themselves by terminating employees who show violent tendancies.

The Rams apparently are not taking this measure with respect to Suleiman.

This begs the question... why not?

The most logical answer is that the comment - though ill advised and inappropriate - was not intended to be threatening. Maybe it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. Maybe it was a sarcastic comment.

Certainly, Bernie won't shine any light on this, as he would look foolish for running and reporting about the message if it was just a bad joke. I doubt his buddies at the PD will illuminate this question either.

But, I have to say... I'm having a hard time believing that Suleiman would be retained if he truly intended to express a serious threat (either of violence, or figurative "back stabbing") to another person in the organization.

Something is definitely missing here.
                                -09-14-2005, 11:45 AM
                              • AvengerRam_old
                                Bernie's Latest Soap Opera
                                by AvengerRam_old
                                Bernie is not happy unless he is stirring the pot and causing turmoil among Rams fans. His latest soap opera is attacking Steve Spagnuolo's supposed cutting of all ties with the past.

His evidence is, as usual, anectdotal, at best. He cites to the firing of the Rams long-time trainer. He recently interviewed Jack Youngblood, who expressed his frustration over the Rams' failure to use him and other greats of the past as resources to develop Chris Long (never mind the fact that Chris has a HOF DT to work with him every time he visits his family). He keeps mentioning the supposed removal of photos of former Rams from Rams Park.

Of course, he also conveniently ignores contrary facts. For instance, Spagnuolo has reportedly expressed an interest in talking to Isaac Bruce about a possible coaching position. Also, Spagnuolo didn't have any problem having Deacon Jones' jersey retired at the Rams home opener (his first home game as a HC). Finally, the current Director of Player Personnel is Lawrence McCutcheon (a teammate of Youngblood's) and Ray Agnew (who played on the 1999 championship team) is a scout.

Why is Bernie doing this? Well, for one thing, he's made it no secret that he does not like the fact that Spagnuolo does not give him and other sportswriters the kind of access they had under previous HC regimes. But, when it comes down to it, Bernie just likes to stir the pot and then say "see?" when things go badly.

In the end, though... this is just soap opera material. It has nothing to do with the team's success or failure. When Jimmy Johnson took over for Tom Landry, he broke ties with the Cowboys' past. How did that turn out? Then, he did the same thing when he replaced Don Shula in Miami. How did that turn out? Same person, same approach, different results. Hmmmm... maybe it doesn't really matter that much.

If the Rams are going to succeed, it will be because they have talented players lead by the right coaches. Whether the greats from the past (who certainly should be revered and respected) are on the sidelines has little, if any, impact on the W/L column.

So, there... I've said my peace. I will now ignore, and withhold comment regarding, any future soap opera comments by Bernie regarding the "break from the past."

I'm more interested in what is being done for the future.
                                -02-04-2010, 11:30 AM
                              • RamsFanSam
                                Bernie leaving the Post-Dispatch
                                by RamsFanSam
                                Will Bernie M continue to be a Clan member?

5 hours ago

Longtime St. Louis Post-Dispatch sports columnist Bernie Miklasz has announced that he is leaving the newspaper after 26 years. His last column will appear on Aug. 9.
                                Miklasz, 56, joined the Post-Dispatch as an NFL writer in 1985. After the St. Louis football Cardinals moved to Arizona in 1988, he moved to Texas to cover the Cowboys for The Dallas Morning News. In July 1989, the Post-Dispatch hired Miklasz as a sports columnist, and he has since written thousands of columns on local teams and sports issues over the last quarter century.
                                “Growing up, all I ever wanted to do was become a sportswriter,” Miklasz said. “It was my dream, and the Post-Dispatch gave me the chance to follow that dream, and make it come true.

“Everything I have that is good in my life is in some way connected to the Post-Dispatch. And I’m eternally grateful to the newspaper for giving me the opportunity to make St. Louis my home, to build a rewarding career, and to work with so many talented and dedicated reporters and editors.
                                “And I’m thankful to the readers for their interest in my work. And for making this old Baltimore boy feel at home. The Post-Dispatch readers challenged me, made me think, and sharpened me. I may have angered them at times, but my simple goal was to express an honest opinion. It’s been an honor to write for them, through the good times and bad of St. Louis sports.
                                “Coming to the Post-Dispatch to write a sports column was the easiest decision I’ve ever made. And I have to say that leaving the Post-Dispatch after a wonderful 26-year run in my dream job is the most difficult decision I’ve ever made.”

Miklasz is joining 101 ESPN in St. Louis to host a three-hour, weekday radio talk show.

The Post-Dispatch will immediately begin a national search for a sports columnist to bring a strong voice to our sports pages.
                                — Sports Editor Roger Hensley
                                -07-25-2015, 09:46 AM
                              Working...
                              X