• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams sign offensive lineman

By Kathleen Nelson
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    06/12/2004

The Rams beefed up their offensive line by agreeing to terms with tackle Jeff Hatch.

A third-round pick out of Penn by the Giants in 2002, Hatch missed his entire rookie season after having back surgery. He started the last four games in 2003 but was released on March 22.

Hatch could see lots of action in the Rams' preseason camp, which opens July 28. Starter Kyle Turley is on the mend after offseason surgery on his back, and All-Pro Orlando Pace has been designated the team's franchise player and has yet to sign a contract. Thus, Hatch should share time with the teams' other tackles - Grant Williams, Andy King and Joel Hoffman.

In addition, the Rams signed punter Jesse Nicassio to a one-year deal for $230,000. Nicassio is a rookie free agent from Eastern Washington.

The Rams agreed to terms with two other players:

Defensive back Nijrell Eason, a free agent who played with the Arizona Cardinals. Eason signed with the Cardinals as a free agent out of Arizona State in 2002 and played in one game on special teams. He spent last season on injured reserve.

Wide receiver Brian Sump, who played with the Los Angeles Avengers in the Arena League. A 2003 graduate of the Colorado School of Mines, Sump was signed as a rookie free agent by the Chargers but was released in camp last year.

Another roster addition is guard Peter Heyer, assigned to the Rams as part of the NFL International Development Practice Squad program. A native of Germany, Heyer, 6-3, 310, is a three-year veteran of the Rhein Fire in NFL Europe. He will not be eligible to be claimed by another team or promoted to an active roster.

The Rams also released two rookie free agents, wide receiver Nick Narcisse of Tulane and defensive tackle Jeff Ruffin of Illinois.

Rams add scout

Dave Boller has joined the Rams' college scouting department after six years with the Philadelphia Eagles. Boller, 42, also worked as a college scout for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from 1995 to 1997. Before joining the pro ranks, Boller served as an administrative assistant for football operations at Arizona State University under Larry Marmie, who is now the Rams' defensive coordinator.

Contract figures

Tight end Cam Cleeland's one-year contract was for $565,000, which includes a $25,000 roster bonus, according to the NFL Players Association. Free safety Justin Lucas's one year deal was for $540,000.

Re: Rams sign offensive lineman

Well hope somebody step up although I doubt it
    vicdan

Comment

Originally posted by RamDez
      Hatch could see lots of action in the Rams' preseason camp, which opens July 28. Starter Kyle Turley is on the mend after offseason surgery on his back, and All-Pro Orlando Pace has been designated the team's franchise player and has yet to sign a contract. Thus, Hatch should share time with the teams' other tackles - Grant Williams, Andy King and Joel Hoffman.
      If Pace hasn't signed the tender by then, then I'll be pretty disappointed. His comments to the Post Dispatch were pretty optimistic about a deal getting done, so I would assume Pace would want to sign the tender and get in with the team during the offseason to show he's willing and ready to come to the table and negotiate. The fact that it happens makes me wonder if Pace's comment were nothing but a PR stunt to try and get some heat off his back.

Comment

I hope that there is no correlation between this signing and the status of turley's recovery from back surgery. One way or another Pace will wind up ready to play when the season starts, but if turley's back isnt right, that is very bad news for us. I have no info that tells me turley is anything other than on schedule for return to camp, but i am just concerned as a back injury is a tricky thing and i know he lost a lot of weight.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamDez
          Rams Inside Slant
          by RamDez
          Perhaps one of the biggest surprises of the Rams' offseason came when the team matched an offer made by the Carolina Panthers to tight end Brandon Manumaleuna.

A restricted free agent, Manumaleuna signed an offer sheet worth $8.3 million over five years that included a $2 million signing bonus. After much deliberation and some disagreement from within the Rams' front office, the offer was matched.

Manumaleuna started for the first time last season following the departure of Ernie Conwell, but didn't play only tight end. He moved around consistently, often playing fullback or H-back. That led to inconsistency and mistakes.

"When you're jumping here and there, here and there, sometimes it makes it hard," tight ends coach Frank Falks said. "As a human being and a football player, you don't like to say it, but it does."

Falks knew Manumaleuna was struggling last season and at times confused. He said, "When you're around someone, you know their moods. And I always talk to him, so I could tell something was bothering him."

The fact the Panthers made the offer they did showed that Manumaleuna has value.

"They didn't offer him that because his name's Brandon," Falks said. "They did it because he fit what they needed."

Now, the Rams hope Manumaleuna will fit what they need: solid blocking at the position. Any contributions in the passing offense is gravy.

Said Manumaleuna, "I'm just trying to get better."

NOTES, QUOTES, ANECDOTES

—The Rams are continuing to tweak their roster in preparation for the start of training camp on July 27. The latest additions are tackle Jeff Hatch, safety Nijrell Eason and wide receiver Brian Sump.

Hatch was released by the Giants on March 22 after being drafted on the third round (78th overall) in 2002. He missed his entire rookie season because of a back injury, and then started four games last season. Those four games, the final ones of the season, were the only ones in which he played.

The Rams need depth at tackle in training camp because of the expected absence of Orlando Pace and Kyle Turley's return from offseason back surgery. Grant Williams is the most experienced backup, and coaches want Andy King to work mostly at guard.

Eason was originally signed as an undrafted free agent by the Arizona Cardinals in 2001. He was released on Aug. 28 and went to camp the following year with the Steelers. Released by Pittsburgh on Sept. 2, he was added to the Cardinals' roster for the final game of the '02 season and played in that game. Eason injured his shoulder last summer, and spent the entire year on injured reserve. At the start of free agency in March, the Cardinals elected not to tender him as an exclusive rights free agent.

Sump joined the Chargers...
          -06-14-2004, 10:34 AM
        • RamWraith
          Sehorn making return, Gordon to Miami??
          by RamWraith
          TOLD YOU GENERAL COUNSEL :-)

By Jim Thomas
          Of the Post-Dispatch
          Sunday, Sep. 05 2004

On a day largely spent trimming players from their
          roster, the Rams made one
          big addition. Offensive tackle Orlando Pace signed his
          one-year tender as a
          franchise player Sunday evening and is expected to be
          on the practice field
          this afternoon.

After signing the one-year, $7.02 million contract,
          Pace huddled almost
          immediately with offensive line coach John Matsko,
          trying to get up to speed
          just seven days before the regular-season opener
          against Arizona.

Seeking a long-term contract, Pace stayed away from
          all team activities for the
          second consecutive offseason, including minicamp and
          training camp in Macomb,
          Ill. This time, he took it one step further - missing
          all four exhibition games
          as well. Last season, he played in the fourth
          preseason game after signing the
          one-year franchise player tender.

Reached earlier on Sunday, Pace agent Carl Poston
          sounded anything but
          optimistic about Pace's return.

"I've encouraged him to come in," Poston said. "I've
          instructed him to sign the
          one-year tender. But I can't make the big fellow come
          in. He's frustrated with
          the team."

But something must have happened to shake loose the
          stalemate during several
          phone conversations over the weekend between Poston
          and Rams president of
          football operations Jay Zygmunt. Pace arrived at Rams
          Park and signed the
          tender at about 6:30 p.m.

Zygmunt confirmed Sunday evening that Pace had signed
          the contract, but he
          declined further comment.

Barring any setback on the practice field this week,
          Pace will start at left
          tackle Sunday against the Big Red. After sitting out
          the preseason finale
          against Oakland with a sprained ankle, Chris Dishman
          is expected to start at
          left guard, with Andy McCollum at center, Adam
          Timmerman at right guard and
          Grant Williams at right tackle.

Because Pace signed after 3 p.m. Sunday, he did not
          count against the team's
          53-man roster. The Rams can ask for a two-week roster
          exemption, or they can
          simply release another player today.

The Rams released 11 players, and placed two others on
          injured reserve to reach
          Sunday afternoon's league-mandated roster limit of 53
          players. Those moves
          actually left the team at 52 players, but the Rams
          signed free-agent safety
          Zack Bronson, a former San Francisco 49er, to that
          roster spot.

There were no real surprises on the cut list, compiled
          by the Post-Dispatch...
          -09-06-2004, 06:40 AM
        • RamWraith
          another O-Tackle signed
          by RamWraith
          Elliott Silvers, drafted by SD, in camp with Giants and Texans. Slotted already as their number four OT. He played in NFL Europe the Rams receives a roster exemption.
          -07-20-2004, 10:25 AM
        • RamsFan16
          Rams Sign RB Travis Minor
          by RamsFan16
          Steussie is brought back on a one-year deal
          By Jim Thomas
          ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
          03/07/2007

The Rams checked off another item Tuesday on their free agency "to-do" list, re-signing veteran offensive lineman Todd Steussie to a one-year deal. Contract terms weren't immediately available for Steussie, an unrestricted free agent.

Steussie, 36, played surprisingly well for the Rams last season. Because of injuries to Andy McCollum and Orlando Pace, he ended up starting 15 games — eight at left guard and seven at left tackle. Steussie returns to St. Louis as the team's third offensive tackle, the top backup behind starters Pace and Alex Barron, while also providing depth at guard.

"It was a priority for us to make sure we got him back for next season," coach Scott Linehan said. "I think he was able to prove to himself that he was able to play."

Pace missed one game with a concussion and seven games with a torn left triceps muscle last season. As a rookie in 2005, Barron missed two games with torn ligaments in his left hand. So having a reliable third tackle is a necessity.
          Advertisement

The Rams have also signed backup running back Travis Minor, an unrestricted free agent from the Miami Dolphins, to a one-year deal.

Banta-Cain to *****

Linebacker-defensive end Tully Banta-Cain, who visited Rams Park over the weekend, has signed a three-year free-agent contract with the San Francisco ***** for $8.7 million. San Francisco is going almost exclusively to a 3-4 front next season, which is the scheme Banta-Cain played in as a New England Patriot. The Rams run a 4-3 front.

Playing for the Rams "was tempting," Banta-Cain told Bay Area reporters in a conference call. "But I did want to explore other options, and they do run a 4-3 scheme, which is something I'm not too familiar with, even though I felt like I could play it."

Curtis files papers

Wide receiver Kevin Curtis has filed termination papers with the NFL Players Association, officially ending his ties with agent Tom Condon of the CAA Football agency. Unhappy with the free agency process, Curtis decided to fire Condon as his agent.

Curtis has returned to his Utah home after visits to Minnesota and Detroit. The New York Giants, Philadelphia and Tennessee are all thought to be interested.

Fisk to retire

Veteran defensive tackle Jason Fisk plans to retire rather than explore the market as an unrestricted free agent, according to his agent, Josh Wright. Fisk, 34, registered 35 tackles and one forced fumble as a backup nose tackle for the Rams.

Solid signing, not great but solid.
          -03-07-2007, 09:40 AM
        • RamDez
          Rams Make Roster Moves
          by RamDez
          By ClanRam Staff

The St. Louis Rams have signed DB Nijrell Eason, P Jesse Nicassio, LB Fred Pagac, and WR Brian Sump to one-year contracts, the team announced today. In other roster moves, the Rams released WR Nick Narcisse and DT Jeff Ruffin.

Eason, 6-0, 200, spent last season on the Cardinals' reserve/injured list with a shoulder injury. The Arizona State product has played in one NFL game, for Arizona in 2002, after spending most of the season on their practice squad. Eason was also allocated to NFL Europe in 2002 by the Pittsburgh Steelers and spent 2001 training camp with the Cardinals after signing with the club as an undrafted free agent.

Nicassio, 6-0, 192, is a rookie from Eastern Washington. The Oak Park, CA, native redshirted as a true freshman at Washington State, transferred to Citrus Community College in Glendora, CA for two years, before punting for the Eagles the last two years. For Eastern Washington, Nicassio set a school-record punting 112 times for a 42.3-yard average.

Pagac, 6-0, 218, is a rookie from Ohio State. The Dublin, OH, native played in 39 games with two starts in Buckeyes' career. Pagac totaled 70 tackles (36 solo) with one sack, one fumble recovery, and one interception for Ohio State.

Sump, 5-11, 186, spent the 2004 Arena Football League season playing for the Los Angeles Avengers. The Colorado School of Mines product spent the 2003 training camp with the San Diego Chargers after earning first-team all-Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference honors three times.

Narcisse, 5-11, 178, was a rookie from Tulane who signed with the Rams on April 30.

Ruffin, 6-3, 295, was a rookie from Illinois who signed with the Rams on April 30....
          -06-14-2004, 11:46 AM
        Working...
        X