Dominique Byrd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dominique Byrd?

I want him to start over klopfenstein, He looked great his entire career at USC, but got over looked by guys because of leinart, bush, white, and the rest of that O. I really liked what I saw during his career. When He gets his shot I am most sure that he will take full adnatage of it.

- God Bless:ramlogo:

Re: Dominique Byrd?

I disagree. Klopfenstein offers advantages over Byrd in just about everything we'll be asking our tight end to do.

He's faster and more agile, so he'll be able to separate better in the middle of the field in short to medium patterns. Klopfenstein is taller and offers better leaping ability, which gives him an edge in the red zone in jump ball situations.

Neither are great blockers, and while Klop definitely needs some technique work, he's physically stronger than Byrd and shows good attitude in that area. And to top it all off, Byrd has struggled with some injuries in college that have caused him to miss significant time, especially during the 2003 and 2004 seasons, while Klopfenstein (I believe) has missed only one game with injuries.

This really should be Klopfenstein's job to lose, but I like what Byrd brings to the table as a back up tight end who might see some short routes in the red zone and offer some limited blocking help. It's probably a job that Manu could have done, but we knew what we had in Manu whereas Byrd has the potential to surprise us if he can play better than he was graded.

Comment

It is not realy going to matter who starts. The new offensive system will take advantage of both players tallants by getting them on the field at the same time. Look for a lot of 2 TE sets.

Comment

I agree. I really hope that Byrd beats out Klopfenstein. Byrd doesn't have the height or the strength you want but he has the ability to do everything better than Klop. Byrd was injured I believe two years ago with a broken leg or something like that and it kept him out, but that was Leinarts Heisman year so he could have done great things. Byrd is a better reciever who runs after the catch better and is a bigger playmaker. Klop catchs it and will get a few but Byrd catches it and will get hit and break away from that hit and go off for a TD.

Klop will be our #2 Tightend I believe and will do good at that, Byrd will be #1 and will be good at that.

But in the end whoever wins it will do good, because they won it but I in my opinion want Bryd to win it.

Comment

I want the best TE to start. It doesn't matter who it is.

Comment

Originally posted by RamsFan16
            Byrd is a better reciever who runs after the catch better and is a bigger playmaker. Klop catchs it and will get a few but Byrd catches it and will get hit and break away from that hit and go off for a TD.
            It's interesting though. If Byrd has such an ability to get hit, break away, and go for a TD, why did he only score four times on 81 catches in his college career, not one of them coming last year at all? Sure, a part of that reflects the other weapons on the team, but what does that say about Byrd when he ranks at the low end of all that championship talent?

Let's face it, this guy's end zone potential isn't quite what you make it out to be, and it doesn't help that he had a hard time getting on the field because of his own injuries. Meanwhile, Klop matched Byrd's four touchdowns just in his senior season, and more than tripled the number in his career. Not only that, but Klop's height and leaping ability gives him an incredible advantage against Byrd when it comes to jump balls in the red zone. My point? Clearly Klopfenstein has no problem finding the end zone either, so you can't consider it much of an advantage at all for Byrd.

Keep in mind Byrd probably would not have been a first day selection had we not traded up for him. There are reasons why players from championship teams drop that far, IMO, just as there's a reason that as the draft approached, Klop's stock was rising while Byrd's was falling. In Byrd's case, it's a number of factors. The two biggest seem to be (1) lack of elite skills and (2) injuries.

Since I've already addressed injuries, I'll simply speak on the former. Byrd is good at a number of things but, IMO, doesn't stand out as great in any one thing. Physically, he doesn't have the height, speed, agility, or strength you want in a starting tight end - Klop dwarfs him in all those categories.

Nor does Byrd best Klop in consistency as a player. Byrd will disappear for periods of time and then come back with a big catch only to disappear again (Pete Carroll acknowledged Byrd's lack of consistency in late August), whereas Klop is going to give it his all every time because of his intensity, attitude, and aggressive style. Byrd is going to break tackles because of the bulk he has on that 6'3" frame, but Klop has the ability to add weight and get better in that area. Does Byrd have the ability to add height? Obviously not.

I think the starting tight end position is really Klopfenstein's to lose, because he offers the advantages on the field - speed, agility, height & leaping ability, consistency, equal ability as a pass catcher, and in my opinion, more intelligent and better to adjust to off target passes - whereas Byrd is more suited to the second tight end role, especially due to a history of injuries that would likely make it hard to make it through a 16-game season healthy as a starter.

Comment

I guess because they had steve smith and dwayne jarrett, Othere than that i really dont know.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
                Byrd Works to Better Blocking
                by RamWraith
                By Nick Wagoner
                Senior Writer

When the Rams traded back into the third round to acquire USC tight end Dominique Byrd, he instantly became a contender to make an impact on the team’s offense this year.

The news got better on the second day of the draft when the team traded away incumbent starter Brandon Manumaleuna to San Diego. Byrd was the second tight end drafted by the Rams on the first day of the draft after second-round choice Joe Klopfenstein.

With Manumaleuna out of the picture, Byrd went from potential contributor to potential starter. He entered training camp as a co-favorite with Klopfenstein to win a starting job as a rookie.

Now that camp is complete and the preseason is almost over, Byrd finds himself not competing for a starting job, but working to ensure he has a roster spot all together.

“I can't say I'm disappointed, because I had the opportunity,” Byrd said. “I'm just trying to keep going, keep pushing for that spot. I don't think anything's definitely final. Things happen during the season. I just want to be able to step up when I'm called on.”

Although Byrd was competing with Klopfenstein for a starting spot, he doesn’t necessarily play the same position. Byrd is more of a “move” tight end, a position the Rams call the “F” position.

Klopfenstein plays the “Y” position, which is more of an on the line of scrimmage player than the F. Byrd’s job deScription includes going in motion, shifting and lining up in the back field as a type of fullback every once in a while.

Klopfenstein has been joined by veteran Aaron Walker as the team’s top tight ends. Walker has emerged as a surprise in the preseason and is No. 2 on the depth chart. Walker’s and Klopfenstein’s blocking abilities have pushed them ahead of Byrd as he works to become better in that facet of the game.

“He's got great ball skills,” coach Scott Linehan said. “He's got good enough size to play on the line as a tight end. He knows that it's an absolute must that he improves his blocking ability. That's why we spend more time on that area. We know he can be a good receiver. We're working very hard on that as well. But he's got to be a guy that can do both.”

Coming from USC, Byrd is used to being surrounded by good players. He wasn’t even second fiddle in the Trojans’ offense behind the likes of Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart and good friend LenDale White.

But there was never any doubting Byrd’s ability to make plays with his hands. He had a pair of highlight-reel grabs against Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl two years ago and gave fans a glimpse of that pass-catching ability with an 18-yard grab down the sidelines against Houston in the second preseason game.

“That felt good because we were putting ourselves in position to maybe win the game getting down near the goal line,” Byrd said. “I wish I would...
                -08-29-2006, 01:55 PM
              • Rambos
                Byrd Working Hard Toward Improvement
                by Rambos
                Byrd Working Hard Toward Improvement
                Tuesday, August 21, 2007

By Nick Wagoner
                Senior Writer

It could be any training camp in the country at any level of football and the age old pastime of coaches yelling at players will invariably be heard throughout every practice session.

It’s no different in St. Louis as any given day, the Rams coaching staff can be overheard screaming at the top of their lungs. One of their favorite targets is Dominique Byrd.

In this, his second season, Byrd came to camp with the intent of becoming a factor in the Rams’ high-powered and star heavy offense.

But for the most part, he just gets yelled at. While no one enjoys being screamed at on a regular basis, Byrd knows that it’s all part of the deal and recognizes that things could be worse.

“You know, it’s better if they say something,” Byrd said. “If you don’t hear anything that’s when you kind of worry and think, ‘Man, I hope my phone doesn’t ring early in the morning.’ That’s just one of those things that with this job you have to take every single day as its own entity and work hard to get better and pay attention to the coaching. That’s what you try to do because this is not a game of longevity so you have to mark your mark as soon as you can.”

Indeed, the sounds of coach Scott Linehan asking Byrd at a high volume if he has any interest in being on the field this year might not sound soothing to some, but to Byrd it means the coaches want him to succeed.

“I just see so much talent there and so much potential and then some days I see we are realizing that and some days I don’t see it,” Linehan said. “It’s just how I feel. I hate to see such a talented young man one day be consistent and the next day not because he could really do a lot for the football team if he was consistent every day.”

For most of his heretofore short stay in St. Louis, Byrd’s only area of consistency has been inconsistency.

Byrd arrived as a third-round pick from USC with the reputation as a player whose favorite player was himself. After struggling his way through his first training camp, Byrd found himself in street clothes as a game day inactive for the first four games of last season.

On Oct. 8, against Green Bay, Byrd made his NFL debut but his role was limited to helping on special teams and he was a non-factor in the offense. He played the following week against Seattle but was a game day inactive for the next four weeks.

By the time the season was over, Byrd had made little impact despite a bit of a flash of his skills on Dec. 24 against Washington when he caught two passes for 39 yards including a 27-yard touchdown.

Byrd was far from satisfied with his output in 2006, but recognized the difficult position he was in. Byrd had no veteran to tutor him like the young receivers...
                -08-21-2007, 06:15 PM
              • RamWraith
                Which tight-end(s) will go
                by RamWraith
                We are really stacked at this postion. Not all are staying, who are the ones leaving the team this year?
                Byrd
                54.55%
                McMichael
                0.00%
                Klopfenstein
                2.27%
                Walker
                43.18%
                -05-30-2007, 05:41 AM
              • RamWraith
                Byrd draws Linehan's attention
                by RamWraith
                By Jim Thomas
                ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                Thursday, Aug. 23 2007

Scott Linehan isn't a classic yeller and screamer, but there are times when the
                Rams' coach will ride a player to drive home a point. One of his frequent
                targets, particularly early in training camp, has been tight end Dominique Byrd.

"I just see so much talent there, and so much potential," Linehan said. "Some
                days I see that we're realizing that (potential). And some days I don't see it.
                I hate to see such a talented young man one day be consistent, and the next day
                not, because he could really do a lot for this football team if we was
                consistent every day."

The Rams invested a third-round pick on Byrd in the 2006 draft. As Byrd enters
                his second NFL season, the Rams want to see that potential turn into production.

"He's not unlike a lot of players that are young and haven't figured it out
                yet," Linehan said. "Dominique will be the first person to tell you that he's
                really working on that. He is getting better, though."

First-day draft status or not, it remains to be seen whether Byrd has
                progressed enough to nail down a final roster spot. The addition of veteran
                Randy McMichael from the Miami Dolphins has significantly upgraded the Rams'
                tight end position. McMichael will be the starter, with second-year man Joe
                Klopfenstein — last year's starter — as the No. 2.

If the Rams keep only three tight ends, that leaves Byrd battling Aaron Walker
                for the final spot. Byrd sounds as if he's taking nothing for granted.

"You have to know as far as the league is concerned that every year is a
                another year for you to compete at your position," Byrd said. "I'm obviously
                just looking to fit in, get my niche on the team."

Complicating Byrd's status is the fact that he faces two trial dates in the
                coming months for alcohol-related arrests:

— One in October for allegedly driving under the influence and driving without
                a license in California.

— The other in December for his alleged role in a nightclub scuffle in downtown
                St. Louis.

Under the no-nonsense approach to player misconduct displayed by NFL
                commissioner Roger Goodell, Byrd might be facing a suspension as those legal
                situations unfold.

"I can't worry about anything that's out of my hands," Byrd said. "I just focus
                on the football right now, and all those issues, they'll be handled in their
                due time."

In terms of football, Byrd has worked on becoming more consistent, while
                striving to think less and react more on the field.

"I want to make sure that I can play fast," Byrd...
                -08-23-2007, 10:02 AM
              • RamWraith
                Byrd is waiting to fly
                by RamWraith
                By Jim Thomas
                ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                10/19/2006

Early in the second quarter against Seattle, Rams quarterback Marc Bulger threw incomplete to Torry Holt on a deep sideline pattern. It was a relatively inconsequential play in a highly entertaining game.

Inconsequential to everyone but Dominique Byrd, that is. For the rookie tight end from Southern California, it was his first NFL play from scrimmage.

On the play, Byrd went in motion behind the offensive line and ran a 5-yard hitch route away from where Bulger ended up throwing. OK, not exactly highlight-reel material for Byrd, but certainly one for the memory vault.

"Hey, it's a play from scrimmage," Byrd said. "It's a start."
                Advertisement

It has been a slow-go for Byrd, and really, all of the Rams' third-round draft picks this season.

Defensive tackle Claude Wroten, taken 68th overall, played sparingly in the first three games, was inactive in Game 4, but has become a regular part of the defensive line rotation the past two games.

Linebacker Jon Alston, taken 77th overall, has yet to dress for a game. He missed most of the offseason program because Stanford's senior class didn't graduate until June. By NFL rules, that meant Alston couldn't participate before then in workouts at Rams Park, and that put him behind.

Byrd, taken 93rd overall near the end of the third round, didn't dress for the first four games. He finally saw action against Green Bay on the Rams' kickoff return team. And then Sunday against Seattle, he played on special teams as well as a handful of plays on offense.

"It was just exciting to be on the field for the first time on the offense," Byrd said. "Hopefully, things are looking up from here."

Despite his lack of playing time, Byrd said he hasn't gotten frustrated.

"Patience is a virtue. I just stick to that," he said. "Nothing is given, and nothing's easy. I just look forward to the next opportunity that I get."

To a large degree, any jobs that are up for grabs are earned during training camp. Fellow rookie Joe Klopfenstein, a second-rounder, nailed down the starting tight end job in August. Veteran Aaron Walker, in a bit of a surprise, beat out Byrd for the No. 2 spot. At the time, the knock against Byrd was his blocking.

So has Byrd's blocking improved?

"That's hard to tell right now," offensive coordinator Greg Olson said. "At this point in the season, you're not seeing the full contact (in practice) that you do see during training camp. We're not really hitting at a full-speed tempo. Techniquewise, he's working at it and seems to look better. But he still hasn't had a lot of opportunities in a live-game situation to see that."

If nothing...
                -10-19-2006, 05:10 AM
              Working...
              X