this game is a MUST win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this game is a MUST win

Lets not kid ourselves. If we want to go to the playoffs, this game is a MUST win. We are at home against a clearly inferior team. Even if we play without The Big Man, there is no way we can afford to lose this game if we want to go to the playoffs. Losing to the whiners was a bad loss, but at least it was a road game. Bad losses at home are a recipe for disaster in the nfl.

We are an impossible fumble away from 1-2, but how we got to 2-1 is irrelevant. At the end of the day, in the nfl, a win is a win and any road win is just fantastic.

Next week is another crucial game, on the road vs. a team we should beat. HOwever, no need to look ahead. We HAVE to take care of business tomorrow if we are interested in a special season. We have plenty of tough games ahead and while every game in the nfl is tough, this have to qualify as one of couple most winnable games of the year. We cant afford a mental letdown and the time has come to convert in the red zone, which is really the single most critical component to us having a playoff season (after health of course).

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Re: this game is a MUST win

Originally posted by general counsel View Post
    Even if we play without The Big Man, there is no way we can afford to lose this game if we want to go to the playoffs.
    I'm sorry, but if they aren't going to give me red M&M's in my locker before every game, and a limo from whatever bar I'm at to the game, well, I'm entitled to hold out!

Seriously, we have to win this game. You have to beat your division rivals (which is why I disagree with the lackadaisical view of the whiner game just because it was on the road). We HAVE to beat Detroit against our old head coach. We HAVE to beat Arizona against our old starting QB. We HAVE to beat the whiners because.....well....they're the freakin' whiners. We HAVE to beat that walrus faced egomaniac Holmgren and the Hawks. Do that, and I'm satisfied. Already have one strike against us. Three and we are out this year.

Comment

Please explain must win in week 4?

What if the Rams lose this game and win the rest? How does the "must win" theory hold in this situation?

Yes, I agree the Rams need to beat the Lions but I will not give up on them if they lose. I will continue to hope they can earn a playoff position until they're eliminated......

Go Rams

Comment

Originally posted by CRAZYHORNS View Post
        Please explain must win in week 4?

What if the Rams lose this game and win the rest? How does the "must win" theory hold in this situation?

Yes, I agree the Rams need to beat the Lions but I will not give up on them if they lose. I will continue to hope they can earn a playoff position until they're eliminated......

Go Rams
        You have to win the games you are EXPECTED to win. If you don't, you don't stand much of a chance in making the playoffs unless tinkerbell sprinkles her magic dust on you and you squeak in by pulling off upsets as you suggest. In other words, in the NFL, you'll can't take things for granted and throw away a game you rightfully should have won against a inferior team.

Comment

"Please explain must win in week 4?"

I believe that what GC is saying is that we must win those games against opponents that we are expected to win. It helps to set the tone for the remainder of the season and builds confidence. Little himself said that he believed this to be a must win by referencing the game 4 loss last season that led to a meltdown. We must continue our momentum and gain confidence. If facing an inferior opponent, a good team must finish the deal and win or doubt may settle in...

Comment

We are an impossible fumble away from 1-2, but how we got to 2-1 is irrelevant. At the end of the day, in the nfl, a win is a win and any road win is just fantastic.
            May I remind you that the Cardinals were an "impossible fumble" away from the Rams running the clock out and a bitter loss. The way I look at it, the Cardinals were handed the victory, they just refused to accept it. We had that game in the bag until Bulger coughed it up. We earned that victory. However, if not for our defense creating turnovers, we could easily be 0-3 right now. So I hear what you're saying, and agree.

I guess if you believe that the Rams are a playoff caliber team, yes, this IS a must win game. Win at home, win the games you should win and steal a couple that you're not supposed to, and you'll usually get into the postseason. At season's start, I didn't believe that the Rams were a playoff team and have stated as such. They had too many issues to correct, too many new faces and a new coaching staff. Usually not the recipe for immediate success. They still have not proven to me that they are good enough to overtake the top tier teams and get into the postseason. The season is still young, and I see hope, but we're not there yet. One thing that inspires me to think that maybe I underestimated our chances at the postseason, is the play of the teams we'll have to beat. Noboby in the NFC is really proving to be THE team. Philly looks good, but they are beatable. The Hawks still look like the cream of the crop, and we'll get a better idea of how deep they are after this weekend. If they handle the Bears w/o Alexander, I'll be impressed. If they stumble, they're opening the door for our boys in blue and gold. The Eagles are going to be there in the end, the Falcons, well, the Falcons are still the Falcons. Losing to the Aints showed us that it still is all about stopping Vick and making him become a QB. He proved once again that he isn't a good QB when you keep him in the pocket. The Panthers were a team I expected to challenge the Hawks. But..... just goes to show you that every team is just a couple of plays (and injuries) from winning or losing. They'll bounce back, I'm sure, but they've dug themselves a small hole to climb out of. The Bucs? Uh, I'd have to say they've taking a step back. No QB, no way. Redskins? Cowboys? Giants? None of those teams are a "lock", and none of them have played any better than our Rams, across the board. IMHO. SO....... let's get by this game, hopefully we'll see continued improvement, as we have in the first 3 games and we'll come out on top. Then we can talk about next week being another "must win" game.

Comment

Agreed everytime I see that 1 loss we have it makes me kinda sad that we could easily have been 3 - 0 2-1 is ok but 3-0 is super we cannot suffer a letdown to the lions if we want to to to the playoffs and no one will look at stlouis as an even close to elite team when they can easily say we lost to whiners and lions 2 of the worst teams in the league
              Torry Holt Dont play that

Comment

I can see us losing even more respect if we lose to the Lions, and then NO ONE will even think we have a chance. Not that I care what others think, but it is a disgrace to lose to a team that is that awful...
                Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Comment

The reason the game is a MUST win is not mathmatical. I dont care if its week 4 or not, realistically, if you want to be a playoff team, you cant afford many bad losses and certainly not at home. What makes anyone think that we have a REALISTIC shot of beating chicago, carolina, san diego or seattle on the road, let alone seattle at home, if we cant beat detroit at home? Sure we could lose this game and win the rest of them and make the playoffs. World peace could also break out in the morning.

The post in this thread hit the nail on the head. To make the playoffs, you have to beat the teams you are better than, especially at home, steal one or two here and there and beat one or two good teams and you are in. You dont make the playoffs losing to teams like detroit at home. When you lose games like this, you look back at the end when you are a game short and say how in the world did we lose to detriot.

In the nfl, like most things in life, consistency is critical. YOu cant be in the playoffs by playing just to the level of your competition. That is what .500 teams do, its a sign of mediocrity. Good teams find a way to win, even when they dont play their best, especially against teams with inferior talent.

I dont make light of the sf loss on the road at all. I think it was a bad loss. Its why it makes the green bay game next week that more important. Losing to the whiners, road or not, is a muligan, but you dont get more than one or two at the most a year if you want to make the playoffs. I cut us some slack in that game because we played most of it without pace and i do believe that our offense will improve as it acclimates to the new system. Keep this in mind bigregman, without Orlando Pace, we are not a playoff caliber team, not even close.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Originally posted by Varg6 View Post
                    I can see us losing even more respect if we lose to the Lions, and then NO ONE will even think we have a chance. Not that I care what others think, but it is a disgrace to lose to a team that is that awful...
                    Damn Varg, it's not the end of the world if we lose. First off, the Lions aren't that awful. I mean, they're not the Raiders. They have a very good run defense. They have some pretty damn good offensive weapons too. ...and with everyone's favorite superhero as their O-coordinator, they can put up some points. So, tomorrow's game is NOT a given. You know what they say about "on any given day"? Why do you think the Rams are not getting a lot of love so far this season? One word, Whiners!!!! Now that was a disgrace. :\

Comment

Oh geese... It's all symantics. If you are in the hunt still, no matter what week it is, like we still are, it is a MUST win. There are only sixteen games in the season. Every game is important.

The only time it matters differently is if you are trying to get the #1 pick in the draft, which means you are already out of it...
                      This space for rent...

Comment

Wow you guys sure like to think about the future. It seems way too early in the season to even talk about the playoffs IMO.
                        sigpic

Comment

What game isn't a MUST win? Please...enlighten me.

As an NFL team, don't you tell yourselves that every game is a must win?

Comment

Mateo good to see you bro. I remember you from the Stl board. You always had funny stuff.

I find this board is a lot better.

A LOT!!!

Comment