Some notes about Holsey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some notes about Holsey

This guy is going to be what Brian Young would have been had he been retained. Holsey was arguably the best lineman on a weak Redskins defensive line last season. He started all year for them, and while he probably isn't an every down starter, the impression I've got from some Redskins fans is that he shows a lot of intensity and is a good pass rushing DT coming off the bench. I think we gained a very good depth player by signing him, and I would imagine he'll beat out the rookie DTs that we picked up as free agents.

Also, look at what Holsey was able to do last season statistically in comparison to Young. While Young forced three fumbles, he had fewer solo tackles and fewer sacks that Holsey. That could be attributed to less playing time, but also keep in mind Young was playing with better overall defensive line players, including one of the league's sack leaders.

Personally, I think signing Holsey and releasing Walton was a good move by the franchise to help add good depth to a questionable position. We know that Aeneas and Arch are going to play good ball for us, and we know Coady can step in and perform moderately. Shivers has potential, so Walton seems like the odd man out, especially coming off his injury. Meanwhile, signing Holsey gives us another man at DT and keeps Jackson from having to rotating between the interior and the exterior of the line, as I've heard that the Rams are interested in using him primarily on the bookends this year (think I read Howard say that).

Re: Some notes about Holsey

Thanks Nick, you warm the ****les of my heart with your positive info on holsey. I too think it makes sense and while i liked young, i will never get over his failure to fall on the fumble at the goal line in the carolina game that was right in his hands. I would have been happy to have young back at the right price, but in the cap era, i dont think you can pay that kind of money for a backup. I agree with those that say this is the make or break year for damione lewis. I think the key with pickett is that he stays healthy. I am openminded on kennedy, we will see what happens this year.

I dont see how you can go wrong getting a guy for the minimum with only a 450k cap charge who started every game last year and performed adequately.

One question nick, what are your views on brian howard, who others on this board (i believe ferter included) are high on.

general counsel

Comment

This reminds me of the cornerback situation last year, which was a big preseason question mark but was solved by a simple philosophy: overload the position and let them compete in training camp for the roster spots. This will be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Disco Man
        This reminds me of the cornerback situation last year, which was a big preseason question mark but was solved by a simple philosophy: overload the position and let them compete in training camp for the roster spots. This will be interesting.
        Excellent point, EDM. Competition breeds performance.
        The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel
          One question nick, what are your views on brian howard, who others on this board (i believe ferter included) are high on.
          I really don't know an awful lot about him. He was an undrafted free agent, so obviously the liklihood of him being used outside of a depth role is slim, but I guess the Rams see something in him in order to give him a three year deal instead of just one... unless they wanted to just spread out his minimal bonus. I think he's the odd man out right now, given the Holsey signing. Considering he'll probably have to beat Holsey out to remain on the roster, Holsey being a full season starter in the NFL from last season who performed fairly well given the circumstances, I don't know if he makes the cut.

Comment

to the practice squad with him

Comment

If Pickett and DLew don't step up and play to their potential, no signing will matter. I do believe Holsey will provide depth, but Pickett and DLew have to live up to their draft status. Pickett to me has shown flashes, DLew hasn't yet. DLew has been hurt, I'll give him that. Anxious to see how the added weight by the D Line will turn out.

Holsey can only help. The DT's may have been the weakest position on the whole Rams squad last year.

Comment

Would Tyoka Jackson play mostly DE? [I wonder about how the L Little situation will end up for this season.] I take it Sean Moran makes starter DE.

Holsey looks good for DT depth so far. I agree, good roster move by the Rams.

:helmet:

Comment

hey jorge, what happened to the RealRam name? That is one of the signature identities on this board, are you giving it up?

general counsel

Comment

I think if Holsey can help the Rams,...then the Rams have the option of using Lewis as a D-end and D-tackle just as they have used T.Jackson in past seasons.If Little can't play for the Rams this season,...then the Rams should try different 4 man combination fronts to see which one can best get to the QB and stop the run also.I like the possibility of Lewis,Kennedy,Pickett and Jackson as the main front four. :ramlogo:

Comment

that lacks a pass rush threat though

Comment

In 2004---Little will play
                        In 2005---it's up to the legal system
                        The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

RealRam to GC

General, no, I most definitely am not giving up RealRam. Thanks for asking.

What I DO need to do is get organized and update my profile information as well as keep up with the latest and greatest of what is going on here in ClanRam country.

GO RAMS! :ramlogo:

PS: Keep up the good work my friend.
                          Last edited by RealRam; -06-26-2004, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Holsley was a starter on another team, which means having him at a depth positions can only lead to good things!

Oh wait, this has failed us before hasn't it. Jamie Duncan anybody?

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Rambos
                              Are the front four that good?
                              by Rambos
                              I have never seen our front four, particularly Pickett and Kennedy get that much of a push up front. They where getting good pressure on the QB with just rushing four. Is this fool’s gold or can we expect to see this going forward or was this just a weak O-line we faced.

TX go ahead and say we are that good.
                              -09-20-2005, 04:18 PM
                            • RamDez
                              Veteran steps in for his injured teammate
                              by RamDez
                              Veteran steps in for his injured teammate
                              By Jim Thomas
                              Of the Post-Dispatch
                              08/07/2004

MACOMB, Ill. - Don't look for Bernard Holsey in an instructional fitness video any time soon. The veteran defensive tackle was doing a plyometrics workout during the offseason when he lost his equilibrium.

"It was one of those freak accidents," Holsey said. "I was doing box jumps and kind of lost my balance. I fell down and my leg kind of stayed up on the box."

He suffered a torn quadriceps tendon in his left leg and underwent surgery in February. Which is hardly the best way to begin the offseason as an unrestricted free agent.

Because of the surgery, Holsey wasn't expecting to hear from NFL teams until the start of training camp. Much to his surprise, the Rams signed him to a one-year, $660,000 contract on June 18.

"I really wasn't expecting that," Holsey said. "The Rams came out of the blue on that one. I really appreciate their trust and faith in me that everything's going to work out for the best."

For the most part, Holsey had been a spectator during the first nine days of camp as he continued rehabilitation work on his leg. Now, it's time for Holsey to reward the Rams for that "trust and faith."

Thursday afternoon, defensive tackle Jimmy Kennedy was lost for 10 to 12 weeks with a fractured foot. On Friday afternoon, Holsey took part in his first full-scale practice with the Rams.

Kennedy wasn't going to start this season; Ryan Pickett and Damione Lewis will handle those chores. But Kennedy had shown enough to merit a spot in defensive line coach Bill Kollar's rotation.

"Obviously, he still had a ways to go," Kollar said. "But he was getting better and working pretty hard."

With Kennedy shelved for at least half the season, Holsey becomes the No. 1 candidate for the No. 3 spot at defensive tackle.

"To me, starting is not that important," Holsey said. "I'm here to play. And the way Coach Kollar rotates his guys, I'm going to get to play a good amount."

Given Lewis' injury history, Holsey could play even more than he thinks. An eight-year veteran from Duke, Holsey has played for the New York Giants, Indianapolis, New England and Washington. He has started only 33 of 104 games over that span, but started all 16 games last season for the Redskins.

"He's a stout-looking guy and stuff," Kollar said. "I know he's a tough guy, which we like."

Other possibilities for tackle help off the bench include defensive captain Tyoka Jackson and youngsters Brian Howard, Justin Montgomery and Kevin Aldridge.

"Over the last couple years, Ty has really done a good job at left end for us, and we really like him out there,"
                              -08-07-2004, 12:54 PM
                            • RamWraith
                              Wagoner's Mailbag
                              by RamWraith
                              Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Dennis Little, St. Louis: Since the loss of Pickett, what do you think the rams will do in the draft to fit this need and who are they looking at drafting in terms of defensive tackles?

NW: Clearly, there is a need to add depth to the defensive line, particularly at tackle though end could use a boost also. As it stands, there are a few options. One, the Rams can choose to go shopping again in the second wave of free agency, which is where we stand right now and make a run at a guy like Grady Jackson or Sam Adams. The Rams do have interest in Jackson, but probably not at the price he is believed to be pursuing right now. He'd make a nice fit as a run stuffer in the middle. The key here is that in replacing Pickett you need the type of tackle that is proficient with stopping the run. La'Roi Glover is fine at that, but is more of a pass rusher. Jimmy Kennedy is expected to start at nose tackle (more on him in a bit) and the only other options include Brian Howard and Jeremy Calahan. As for the draft, it's not out of the question for the top tackle on the board, Oregon's Haloti Ngata, to be there for the Rams at No. 11. Florida State's Brodrick Bunkley could also come under consideration. However, there is still a month between now and the draft. A lot can happen in that time, but I would expect the Rams to move on a tackle one way or another in the next month.

Jason Taylor, Eureka, Mo.: Nick, if you were the only man in charge or our war room on April 29 and the rams are on the clock, who do you take and why? No trades, just simply who do you take and why would that player be a good bet.

NW: An interesting question, but also a hard one to answer without knowing who is going to be available. Here's the guys I am going to assume are gone if I put myself in the war room of the 10 teams ahead of the Rams: Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Mario Williams, A.J. Hawk, Vernon Davis, Vince Young, Jay Cutler, Michael Huff and Haloti Ngata. That takes up a considerable amount of top talent that makes No. 11 an interesting position. The most stocked position, running back, actually has plenty of top prospects here, but obviously there much more pressing needs than that for the Rams. I have maintained going with the best available defensive player and I'll stick to that here. That leaves me looking at Florida State's Brodrick Bunkley, Penn State end Tamba Hali, South Carolina cornerback Johnathan Joseph, North Carolina State end/linebacker Manny Lawson and Ohio State linebacker Bobby Carpenter. In evaluating that talent, you look at needs. I'm a big fan of Carpenter and Lawson, but many projections have them dropping into the late first/early second round. Those two would fill a need at strong side linebacker and provide a strong pass rush. Based on what makes the best fit, I'd take Lawson. I think he has Leonard Little type potential whether he plays strong side...
                              -03-29-2006, 12:37 PM
                            • Nick
                              Who NEEDS to have a great 2004 in your mind?
                              by Nick
                              Which players on the 2004 Rams squad really need a great 2004 in order to keep their contract, support, or position on the team in general? Basically, which players do you think 2004 is "make it or break it" for?

Here's my list...

1) The entire defensive tackle squad: While Pickett and Lewis have had some success, they've not lived up to their draft position at all, Lewis especially. Kennedy saw practically no action at all. With a new defensive coordinator that isn't hindering the tackles by asking them to be slimmer, they need to show they can be productive this season. Otherwise, how much longer can the Rams expect before these guys develop? I think 2004 is a key season for all three of the Rams' first round tackles on the D-line, and if they still can't perform to their draft status, the team should really begin reevaluating their role on the team.

2) Brandon Manumaleuna: Guy just got a big contract, so in the eyes of the coaches, it's probably not a vital year for Manu. But in the eyes of the fans, it's a mystery as to how that happened. At or around 300 lbs, you'd think he'd be a force as a blocker, but he was often beat. He doesn't offer much in the passing game. If he can't make an improvement on his play this season -- now that he's no longer going to have to play some fullback as well -- then I think most people will be calling for his replacement.

3) Marc Bulger: A four year contract is nice, but Bulger is coming off of a successful yet statistically unimpressive year. The Rams released Kurt Warner because -- among other things -- they have faith in the young guy from the WV and think he can be the man for them. But if Bulger doesn't have a great year, he's going to continue alienating those fans with a special place for Kurt in their heart. He needs to come out and have a good year or else he may be digging a hole he might never come out of. He should benefit from being the focus of attention this spring and summer, and not having the shadow of Kurt Warner looming over him, but does he have the physical and mental skills to actually excel at the job, or was his success in 2002 and 2003 more luck than talent? We all have our opinions, and I think 2004 is a year in which Bulger can and will turn some of those opinions into fact.

4) Marshall Faulk: Who would have thought Faulk would see this list? Well, he's here and I'll tell you why. He hasn't started 16 games in a season since 1999. His yards per carry since '99 have gradually decreased. He's 31 years old and has fought moderate injury over the past two seasons, when he failed to rush for over 1,000 yards. Prior to 2002, Marshall Faulk failed to reach the 1,000 yard mark in only one of his eight season. Faulk has shown flashes of having stuff left in the tank, but if he wants to continue earning the big bucks, he's going to have to show he can still be the man for the Rams in the backfield. I'm sure...
                              -06-13-2004, 03:31 PM
                            • RamWraith
                              We sign yet ANOTHER tackle
                              by RamWraith
                              Rams add ex-Redskins DT Holsey, cut Walton
                              June 18, 2004
                              SportsLine.com wire reports

ST. LOUIS -- The St. Louis Rams signed veteran defensive tackle Bernard Holsey to a one-year contract on Friday and released safety Shane Walton.

Holsey started all 16 games for the Washington Redskins in 2003, recording 41 tackles and 2.5 sacks. In his eight-year career, he has played in 104 games, starting 36, and has 182 tackles, 8.5 sacks, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery.

Walton played in four games last season before being placed on injured reserved Oct. 9.
                              -06-18-2004, 10:29 AM
                            Working...
                            X