Rams D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams D

OK, wow what a game, Rams O came good when it had to, although the second half slump was sad. Coach needs to keep them in the game and never did it. I put that on his head.

Now the Rams D stepped up when it had to and took that ball away from them. Unfortunatly with the Rams O scoring so soon it showed us just what we have on our Rams D. A lot of heart but not enough talent.

I am not pointing fingures at any one player, I will leave that to those who revel in that task. What I am saying here is that we are still a year away from making this D any good. Shoot it might take 2 to get the talent level up but one thing is for certain, we are going to have to score a lot more points than we thought we would

Go Rams

Re: Rams D

I'm not the type to pound a guy when he's down, but I think you're 100% correct on this one. They do play hard and with a lot of emotion, but the talent isn't quite there.

Horrible to think what might happen in Seattle with Alexander, Stevens, and Engram back in the lineup.

Fun game though. I think they'll be a legitimate dogfight for this division for a few years to come.... starting next year.

Comment

Agree Bro!! There is plenty of work to do on that side of the ball. It is too bad it was neglected for so many years. We might be looking at something totally different.

P.S.--I am still not going to count them out of this season yet.

Comment

Most evident from the Rams D today is that it was inconsistent. :x Clearly.

At times much too porous, allowing Sawks RBs big and/or frequent gains.

I trust we will get up from this defeat with VENGEANCE! :<>
        Last edited by RealRam; -10-15-2006, 07:40 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

This seems to be the story of the Rams defense all year. Come up big only when you have to. How many times have we seen a clutch fumble recovery, clutch sack, key interception... but they've come after a long sustained drive in which we give up a lot of yards?

We shut the run down in the first half, and I don't know if we were simply expecting them to come out in the second and air it out or what, but it seemed like our second half run defense vanished. We had some great pressure toward the end of the first half, but where was the pressure in the second half when we needed it? Three first half sacks, one second half sack.

The biggest problem for this team is consistency. We need to stop showing flashes here and there and instead just turn the lightswitch on and leave it there. It's a first year team so there's growing that needs to be done, but as Dez said, it's a talent issue as well.

Comment

No doubt the defense is going to continue to have growing pains, but what a group of never say die warriors. They take "bend but don't break" to a new level. I love the fact that they never give up and fight to the last moment. I've got to believe they'll get better as the season moves on.

Comment

Agreed, we really are very inconsistent on defense. It really kills me watching them play. Ya know...these guys say they don't want to be a Defense where they want to hold a team to 48, and just let the O score 50. But...that's sorta how they're playing, they sure as hell did most of the second half. And its great to have a D that comes up big at the end, but meanwhile this is a D that also gives away lots of points. So in the end, it still sorta is the same ol' rams team. Kinda scary...I agree though, I think it'll take a year or two to even have a very talented defense.
              Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Comment

its a bend but dont break mentality. Lovie Smith defenses here also gave up quite a bit of yards but when they needed a key turnover they got it. This ballclub is on the verge of being an elite ballclub again there's just no number one legitimate corner on this team. that is what we are missing

Comment

We need a safety and another pass rusher in the worst way. The WORST way.

Comment

Originally posted by bruce4life View Post
                    This ballclub is on the verge of being an elite ballclub again there's just no number one legitimate corner on this team. that is what we are missing
                    I hope that number one corner was drafted this year. If not that was a bad pick. But I'm not going to go there because I don't expect Hill to be a number one this year. Our D is more than a corner away from being an elite ball club. If anything I would say we are some defensive linemen away.

Comment

I can tell you one thing, our D is missing Fakhir Brown more than you think.

Comment

Originally posted by RamsFan16 View Post
                        I never thought I'd say this too, but we really are missing him. I didn't think he'd be such a great addition.
                        Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Comment

I couldn't agree more. I have been very impressed with him and Atogwe. I has Brown on one of my fantasy teams until he got hurt, at which point I gtot Atogwe. They are both looking pretty good and can't wait to get them back playing together soon.

Comment

Add me to the list, damn good point. I hope he's ready for the Charger game.

Comment

Add me to the list, damn good point. I hope he's ready for the Charger game. -- R8rh8rmike
                              Ditto here, 16! :r

Bye week should be -- or rather, will hopefully be -- enough to get Brown back. Chargers seem to have a balanced air / ground attack and we'll need our secondary manned with the best, even if not at their best health wise.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
                                Coach Scott Linehan September 22
                                by RamWraith
                                Head Coach Scott Linehan

September 22, 2008

(Opening remarks)

“Just one injury update, (RB) Antonio Pittman has a small crack in his fibula bone by his knee. He suffered it on a special teams play early in the game. It wasn’t a contact thing; it looked like he just twisted it. But it does look like he will be out for a bit, Dr. (Matt) Matara is thinking 4-6 weeks right now, so he will miss this week and the bye week and counting 4-6 weeks, there is probably some more games in there before he will be ready. We have a couple more guys that were out that hopefully will get back this week.”

(On the status of (T) Orlando Pace)

“He had a mild strain to his groin so we will see on Wednesday. I don’t think it will limit him, he said he felt pretty good today.”

(On who he expects will be ready to play after missing the game because of injuries)

“(G) Jacob Bell was close last week, he did more but it was still tight. We were hoping that he did not take a step back, he would be good to go. We are hopeful with (DE) Leonard Little, he made progress last week as well but that is it. None of the other guys like (WR) Drew (Bennett) or (WR) Keenan Burton, those other guys who had injuries that put them out for awhile, will be available.”

(On the status of (G) Richie Incognito)

“(G) (Richie) Incognito really strained his knee but everything looked good on the MRI today. He looked like he was moving around pretty good last night and I know he is a little sore today but everything looked good. It doesn’t look like it will affect his status.”

(On who will back up RB Steven Jackson)

“(RB) Brian Leonard really was two/three right there anyway. He took reps in that spot during the week and will now be the No. 2 and will factor into a lot more things. Now it is good to have the depth, it was a problem not to have him up but it is a no-brainer now. He is close to a 100-percent right now.”

(On the offensive progress in the game against the Seahawks)

“You still have to score but there were positives in the game and something that, a year ago, we had some real problems on the road against a team that had just sacked the previous opponent eight times. To get through the game with one sack, although it was a crucial one and it was early, was a positive and it really didn’t factor into the O-line. I think the O-line, as a group, performed very well against a good defensive front. The bottom line is, you have to score and you have to out score your opponent. You can’t go into any road game in the National Football League or any league and spot the team 17, 24, or 27 points in the first half and expect to win the game. I don’t know who, in this league, that is equipped to come from behind those...
                                -09-22-2008, 03:39 PM
                              • RamWraith
                                Locker Room Quotes
                                by RamWraith
                                Wednesday, January 5, 2005

S Adam Archuleta

(On how it feels to be in the playoffs)
                                "This is three times in four years for me. It's definitely a better feeling than going home and being in Arizona right now. Which definitely could have happened. It feels good, especially after everything that we have been through, to get a chance to go on."

(On his back)
                                "It is what it is. It's a situation where I have had to pretty much battle it out, and grind it out throughout the end of the year. Really the only thing that is going to help is rest and rehabilitation. It's been manageable, I've been able to play and get through it, and it's starting to feel better. But Just like any injury, there's setbacks. It's just football, it's NFL football. I think it is evident that I haven't been as physical (this year). I'm not a guy who is going to sit here and make excuses, and say, 'the back has done this, and it's affected me this way,' because I still have a responsibility to my teammates and this organization to go out there and do my job. I know that I haven't forgot how to play football, to be physical, and how to run around and fly around. It just doesn't happen overnight. I have to say that due to not being able to workout throughout the season, my body going a little bit downhill, and not having that explosion and that pop, I have to say that it has been a factor."

(On how he hurt his back originally)
                                "It was in training camp. I had a back twinge. It was kind of my fault, I tend to overlook little injuries. Throughout my career they've always kind of gone away and taken care of themselves. So I really didn't say anything about it. This time it just kept getting worst. After the Arizona game I went to (Rams' Athletic Trainer) Jim (Anderson) and said, 'Jim, my back is really tightened up, it's really starting to bother me.' Then we took the MRI and saw that there were some disc issues, and it just kind of snowballed from there. So it's a little bit of my fault for not taking care of it when it first started acting up, and just kind of let it get out of control."

(On how frustrating his injury is)
                                "Like I said, it's frustrating because I have an obligation to my teammates. That's what they expect out of me, and that's what I was brought here to do. When I don't bring that style of play, when I don't bring that intimidating physical presence to the defense, to me I feel like I let everybody down. It's hard to look at the guys in their eyes when I had an opportunity to make a play and I didn't make a play. It's hard as a football player, and it's been difficult."

(On if will be back to 100% next year)
                                "I'm fine. Trust me, this won't happen again. I've learned a lot about how to take care of my body through this experience. I just can't ignore things, and put them...
                                -01-06-2005, 05:27 AM
                              • RamWraith
                                What the players had to say
                                by RamWraith
                                RB Steven Jackson

(On his performance in the opener)
                                “It was a rough one. Tests come, tests go – you just have to be able to withstand the storm. You can’t give a testimony without going through a test. I didn’t intend for my season to start off like this, but since it did I will not back down.”

(On losing T Orlando Pace)
                                “It was a difference. I think (Adam) Goldberg came in and did a great job for the most part. We doubled, we chipped with the backs protection-wise, it’s just the way the ball bounced. Towards the third quarter things started to go downhill for us.”

(On if losing Pace limits what can be done offensively)
                                “No, not at all. It doesn’t limit us in anything. We always prepare. Anybody goes down, the next guy steps in and knows his assignment and we just continue like the original starter is in there.”

DE Leonard Little

(On Panthers WR Steve Smith)
                                “He’s a playmaker. He always plays with a chip on his shoulder. I told him that during the game. He’s one of the best receivers in the league. The offense runs through him. If he has a bad day, then the offense is going to have a bad day. They got him involved early and kept on rolling from there.”

(On what fuels Smith)
                                “With Steve Smith, anything fuels him, if you say anything about him. He is fueled every time he steps onto that field. That is what makes him a great player. He doesn’t need anyone to say anything about him to be fueled. He is going to be fueled anyway, because he is that type of player. He’s a great player. He’s one of the best receivers in the league. We did our part in slowing him down in the first half a little bit, but in the second half he busted us wide open.”

(On if this game was a defensive step in the right direction)
                                “If it was a step in the right direction, we would have won the game. We had them in the first half and played pretty good defense. In the second half, we just fell apart. What we need to learn is that we need to come out and play the second half, just like we played the first half. Today, we didn’t do that and obviously, we lost the game. We gave up 20 or more points. It really doesn’t matter, since if we played really good defense, we would have won the game.”

WR Isaac Bruce

(On the offense struggling in the second half, particularly with turnovers and three and outs)
                                “I include three and outs as turnovers. Anytime you get into that situation it’s not good for an offense – definitely not good for a defense because they don’t’ have to much rest off the field. We have to do a better job taking care of the football.”

(On timing offensively)
                                “I got plenty of work in the preseason. I thought we got enough time to have the timing as far as quarterbacks and receivers are concerned. The offensive line pretty much gelled through the preseason. We have to do...
                                -09-09-2007, 04:58 PM
                              • Nick
                                Post-Game Quotes from Spags & Players
                                by Nick
                                Rams at Seahawks Postgame Quotes - Rams Coach/Players
                                Posted 02 January 2011

RAMS HEAD COACH STEVE SPAGNUOLO

“Obviously disappointed. I’ll start out by saying, win or lose, I think God always has his hand on this football team. I’m always going to say that and I’m grateful for that. I’ll credit Seattle and wish them luck next week. They played better. They won and we lost. A lot of things we certainly could have done better. I am proud of the football team for what they accomplished. That might make a little more sense tomorrow. The disappointment is all we feel right now. Probably got to get a good night sleep somehow and then reflect back on some of the things we might have done really good. I think injury-wise we got through okay. The only guy at the end there, Reggie said something might have been Chris Long’s hand. I don’t really have any idea what it is but we’ll take a look at it. With that, I’ll open it up.”

(On why he thinks they weren’t able to move the ball)
                                “Yeah. Field position was an issue. I can’t remember on all the swings of series but it seemed like a lot of them we were always coming out of our own end zone, you know, inside the 20. Even the drive we had for a field goal was an 80 yard drive, or 80-something. I know it was a long drive. I don’t know… Field position, maybe they punted it real well. We must have been giving up a little yardage defensively to have them move but field position was an issue, especially in the second half when I recall.”

(On Steven Jackson only having about 10 carries)
                                “I would have to look at it. We’re not counting them and all that as we go. I’d have to go back to down and distance situations and then you’re not gonna bang your head against the wall but do what we had to do to try to move the ball.”

(On if it was busted coverage on the deep completion to Ruvell Martin on Seattle’s first drive)
                                “It wasn’t a busted coverage. I think we got a little over-aggressive on the – he pumped it to the little flair route or the bubble screen, and then held onto it a little bit and then found him (Martin). That hurt us early because it gave them field position and they ended up with a touchdown on I think that drive.”

(On what he tells the players after the game)
                                “Well, I told them – there’s not a lot to say neatly after the game. We’ll get together tomorrow. Certainly, we’re all disappointed. I did tell them that I appreciated their efforts this year from the bottom of my heart because I thought the work ethic and what they did, hanging together and enjoying each other and some of the things we did along the way, I was very appreciative of that. Other than that, to stand in front of the team as disappointed as they are right now… I don’t spend a lot of time; I’ll do that tomorrow.”

(On the play that was called incomplete when Bradford threw to the sideline near the goal line...
                                -01-03-2011, 11:22 AM
                              • RamWraith
                                Coach Scott Linehan October 29
                                by RamWraith
                                Head Coach Scott Linehan

October 29, 2007

(Opening Remarks)

“Richie Incognito got back the results of his MRI and it showed that he had a subluxation of his knee cap which is basically a partial dislocation of his right knee cap. It will require surgery. The outlook doesn’t look that promising for this season. We haven’t ruled it out yet. There’s not anything official, on IR or anything, but it’s a pretty extended time out for that injury.

“Steven (Jackson) came out of the game with some severe back spasms. He had it looked at today and it shows he has a disk bulge in his lower back which is treatable. We’re optimistic for his return even as soon as New Orleans. Maybe it’s good timing that we have the bye this week for him. He wouldn’t be able to play this week if that weren’t the case.

“Marc (Bulger) has a bad bruise on his throwing hand. When he came out he had it X-rayed just to make sure it wasn’t broken. He came back in with that injury.

“We had a conditioning practice today. We’ll have a practice against each other tomorrow and watch film on New Orleans and yesterday’s game. On Wednesday will push on to the next game as well as some more lifting and conditioning. The players will be off from Thursday through Sunday.”

(On if G Richie Incognito’s injury is the same injury he had coming out of college)

“It’s similar. It’s not the same thing. The knee cap basically moved. It wasn’t a dislocation; they call it a subluxation where it popped in and out. There are some cartilage fragments that came off due to that. Dr. (Matt) Matava said it is basically a simple surgery – go in and clean that up, but it’s somewhat of a lengthy recovery time.”

(On if he was blocking on the play)

“He was blocking. He got his foot caught. It looked a little awkward, right at the finish. It looked like it happened as he was being turned and he ended up stepping on (Marc) Bulger’s foot on that particular play. He came out and he was done.”

(On when he will have surgery)

“He’s going to get another opinion which is recommended on these. As soon as he gets that – sometimes they recommend rehab first, so it depends on what the doctors say.”

(On if bulging disks develop over time)

“I don’t know if there is any correlation between the groin and the back. I don’t know that anybody knows if there’s any connection. Usually bulging disks develop over time. They are treatable. When you start talking about herniation and all that. It’s not that and can be treated. Normally the prognosis is pretty good as far as getting back in a couple of weeks.”

(On how to treat bulging disks)

“They medicate it first and...
                                -10-30-2007, 06:07 AM
                              Working...
                              X