X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAMMAN68
    replied
    Re: This is an UPSIDE game

[QUOTE][If we can protect bulger, we can score on them, but of course, merriman is a part of that and his status remains up in the air at this point/QUOTE]

Hopefully Merriroid will be deinjected and we will be able to contain him.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I don't disagree with the spread at all. We're playing a team that a lot of people, despite the loss to KC, consider to be the best in the AFC. They have a great running game with the best back in the league, and our rushing defense is suspect at best. I'm pretty sure SD is gonna come out and pound the ball early and often. They are gonna be pissed after that loss last week, and want to take it out on us. I think we have to come out and attack on offense and try to get an early lead, taking them out of their gameplan and trying to make Rivers make mistakes. As others have said, Field Goals just aren't gonna get it done in this game, we gotta punch it in. I think if we do that and get some turnovers and capitalize, we should have a shot at this thing.

I also think that it's important not to get blown out, we have a tough stretch coming up here and our guys have to believe that we can play with the elite teams.

Leave a comment:

• LA Rammer
    replied

Originally posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    "downside" I believe, and that would be a blowout. If that were to happen, the "critics" would be spouting off about how the Rams finally played a quality opponent and didn't show up, proving their mediocrity. It won't be the end-of-the-world for the Rams if they do get blown out, but it will take them some time to recover, and the road immediately beyond is a rough one, and a blowout could make it even tougher.
    Agreed this would really tell what kind of a team we are froma negative standpoint. Really we were saying the same vs. Seahawks, and if we were to win that wouldn't say nothing again, sense the Chiefs got a victory too against a banged up Chargers team. The Seahawks they say were without the services of Mr. Alexander.

So oh well the downside will be a very down side. (Hope that made sense)
    Last edited by LA Rammer; -10-24-2006, 10:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RAMFANRAIDERHATER
    replied

Agree about the "upside" remark...

I'm interested in seeing how we play against a quality opponent, in their crib. If we get beat, it will have been expected by most, as noted by the point spread. But even if we lose, but put up a valiant fight in the process, the Rams can still gain something from this game. If we can find a way to win, and I believe that we have a fighting chance to do just that, then we'll gain large amounts of confidence.
    But there is a "downside" I believe, and that would be a blowout. If that were to happen, the "critics" would be spouting off about how the Rams finally played a quality opponent and didn't show up, proving their mediocrity. It won't be the end-of-the-world for the Rams if they do get blown out, but it will take them some time to recover, and the road immediately beyond is a rough one, and a blowout could make it even tougher.

Leave a comment:

• thoey
    replied

Point spread or not, only thing that matters is a W. But it also reminds me of week one. Hopefully it reminds the coaches and the team of that too...

;)

Leave a comment:

• laram0
    replied

Based on the Chargers injuries and the Rams seemingly playing to the level of their opponents, the point spread seems out of wack. I would understand maybe 4 or 6 points.

The Rams can win this game outright.:r

Leave a comment:

• general counsel
    started a topic This is an UPSIDE game

This is an UPSIDE game

Injuries aside, this game really has only upside. Its a very tough road game against a team we dont match up well against, even with their injuries. We are healthy, coming off a bye and hopefully rejuvinated for the rest of the season, but we have been unable to consistently stop the run all year and this is one of the best running teams in the nfl with what is maybe the best back in LT and a solid young improving qb. They have a stout defensive line and a monster nose tackle.

If we can find a way to stay in this game, we have a legit shot to win at the end of course. If we can protect bulger, we can score on them, but of course, merriman is a part of that and his status remains up in the air at this point. I hope we have a plan to control that nose tackle, but i suspect this is one of those cases where a plan is great but execution is very very tough. If jackson cant run at all and we spend the day in long yardage situations, its going to be even tougher.

We are 9 point underdogs which is a very big spread and tells you that the oddsmakers, who know more than any of us, think that bye or no bye, injuries or no injuries, we are in big trouble.

To me, our shot at this game is simple. We have to win the turnover battle convincingly and score tds in the red zone. In short, we will need to play our best game of the year and hope that they make some mistakes. If we can do that, we have a shot in this game. If we only play a half or maybe even three quarters of football, it wont be enough on the road against sandiego.

At the end of the day, this is NOT a game we have to win. Thats what i mean when i say it really has only upside as long as we dont get hurt. The game we will have to win is the following week at home vs kc.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Related Topics

Collapse

• general counsel
    What a difference a couple of games can make...looking ahead
    by general counsel
    Depsite the gloom and doom and the appearance that the defense cant stop anyone, lets assume for a second that we can find a way to beat both the saints and jacksonville and get healthy in the bye week.

Think about how excited and geared up we will all be to head to seattle for a little payback. A healthy bulger and bruce. A jelling offensive line. Little back at full strength, a little momentum. Who knows, maybe an injury or two for seattle to some key guys (and i am not talking about receivers that while talented cant hold onto the ball anyway, i am talking about guys like haselback, alexander, jones etc), maybe a game where the refs dont shaft us and best of all, maybe a game where for one time we play to our potential for a full 60 minutes rather than digging a hole early or playing great early and then collapsing either on defense or via turnovers.

Guys, if we win the next two, rest up, then beat seattle on the road, we will feel night and day different than we do right now. I dont think this falls into the category of believing that the earth is flat or the easter bunny is real, merely a matter of getting healthy and getting break here or there. I honestly feel we are not as bad as we look and a play here or there (especially at the end of both the seattle and san fran games) and our record would be a lot different. They say that the breaks even out over the course of a season. IF that is true, we have some breaks coming to us and it all starts this week by beating the saints at home. If we cant win this game, i think it could be an incredibly long year and time to get serious both about playing the kids and doing our draft prep work.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    -10-20-2005, 06:59 AM
    Dr. Freud's pregame analysis-which rams team will show up?
    by Guest
    Since the season started, the rams have been afflicted with repeated bouts of schizophrenia. We have shown the capacity to play as well as anyone in the nfl (see the fourth quarter of the seattle game) and we have shown the capacity to play like an expansion team at times (see the stupid turnovers in the new orleans game, the collapse by the defense at the end of the saints game, the failure to make plays on defense, the capacity to give up endless big plays on defense and the worst kickoff coverage in the nfl).

We are showing every sign of an above average but certainly not championship caliber team, specifically, that we are playing not to our ability, but to the level of our opponent. When you play like that, you put yourself in a position where a big play or two at a critical time can easily cost you a game against an inferior opponent. The great teams win when they are not at their best, the above average teams seem to find ways to have either the breaks or big plays go against them with games on the line (ie the non-int by butler in the atlanta game).

Make no mistake about it, this team has a pulse, but it is marginal at this point. We were incredibly lucky to beat seattle. Notwithstanding the great comeback, better clock management and a couple of catches by receivers that got hit directly in the hands would have ended that game. Think about how different it would look at 3-4 right now without the tiebreaker advantage vs. seattle and the tough teams coming up.

This is the time to step up following the bye and play with consistency if we want a chance to contend. We need to play to our potential and we need to make more big plays than we give up. The defense is never going to be the 1985 bears, but when it has chances to take advantage of mistakes, it HAS to capitalize. Dropped INT's are killing us and note that when we dont create turnovers we lose. A dropped INT is really the same as an offensive turnover in the sense that we lose the chance to have possession of the ball.

The team at this point is too reminiscent of 2000, with the exception of the fact that the offense, while good, is no where near as dominant and we cant outscore people.

Here is what i think we need over the second half.

1) We have to give grant williams more help. He is playing as well as can be expected, but its not good enough.
    2) We have to capitalize on defense, catch the balls when they hit us in the hands, even aeneas.
    3) We have to stop giving up so many big plays on defense
    4) leonard little needs to play better to cause more disruption (ie at a pro bowl level)
    5) obviously, we need to stay as healthy as possible (we need travis fisher up to speed).
    6) We have to be able to cover kickoffs better, we are giving up way, way too much field position for a defense that is already shaky
    7) Consistency is crucial. We...
    -11-04-2004, 04:14 AM
  • general counsel
    Great News, we are officially a mediocre, middle of the pack NFL team
    by general counsel
    Over the first six games of the Bradford era, the rams have clearly established themselves as a solidly mediocre NFL team that is obviously on the way up. This is a HUGE step considering that we won a total of 3 games in the prior two years.

By beating San Diego, we have shown that we can beat a playoff caliber team. Our performance in the first half yesterday was nfc championship caliber football. You can't play much better on defense and offense than we played in the first half yesterday, albeit with a couple of breaks (ie a couple of drops by the SD defense that could have been INT's and a HUGE drop by Gates on a perfect third and long throw by Rivers over the middle). For the game, we had seven sacks and no turnovers, in addition to a blocked field goal and a terrific interception in the end zone. With the game on the line, we imposed our will on the chargers and the Big Boy ran the ball down their throats to run out the clock, despite the obvious nature of the play calling. We have improved a great deal in a short time despite crippling injuries at a key offensive position (WR) where we were already lacking a #1 before anyone got hurt. As with almost every team at any level of football, dramatically improved line play on both sides of the ball has been a critical consideration in our ascension.

It should be apparant to the entire NFL that the Rams are a very competitive home team. We are going to beat more good teams at home as the year moves on and the fans enthusiasm can only help the Rams feed off their effort yesterday.

The next test for improvement is consistency and the ability to win on the road. If we can play a full game like we played the first half yesterday, the sky is the limit. We have lost two games that we could have easily won, and frankly, we almost let a win slip away yesterday with wildly conservative play calling in the second half (like we were playing not to lose, rather than trying to win). As well as we played defensively, allowing an 80 yard drive in 40 seconds at a key point in the fourth quarter is something that we can improve on quite a bit. I am sure no one wanted to see Rivers get the ball back with three time outs left only needing a field goal. The Rams have shown dominance in flashes this year, we need to learn to finish teams off and to play more consistently. Playing well on the road is a tough task for all NFL teams, we will see if the Rams can answer the call this weekend in what has to be considered a "winnable" road game at Tampa Bay. If we can respond vs Tampa and beat Carolina (which we should do), we are 5-3 heading into the bye week, a result that i doubt anyone could have projected.

In short, we have come an awfully long way in a short time and if we want to take the next step this season (rather than in the future), we are going to have to win on the road. For now, the Rams fall solidly into the category of "any...
    -10-18-2010, 11:34 AM
  • LA Rammer
    This Will NOT be a close one!
    by LA Rammer
    Rams will win handily!!! No Hass, No Alexander, you kiddin' me!!! Seattle is not taking this game too seriously. I don't see the squawks winning. The two are a very integral part of this team. The excuses are laid up and piled up high. The only ones who can lose this game are the Rams, defense not even an issue. Mark my words Bulger will have another great game and Jackson will do damage receiving out of the backfield. Holt is also due. As for our defense Pisa is back and Little will get his share of sacks (2-3)

I feel good about this game, as it is more important for us. Look at the Rams having, not a great defensive showing, but a decent one enough to hold them off.

If it rains Bulger can play in the rain! (vs. Steelers)
    -11-10-2006, 09:54 PM
  • laram0
    This game is HUGE!
    by laram0
    We all know that this is a must win for Divison purposes. Obviously for Wildcard contention also. Here's a list of the games this week that have a direct effect on our Rams.

Rams (4-4) @ Seattle (5-3)
    Cowboys (4-4) @ Cardinals
    Browns @ Falcons (5-3)
    Packers @ Vikings (4-4)
    Redskins (3-5) @ Eagles (4-4)
    Buccaneers @ Panthers (4-4)

This Seattle game is crucial. I predict the Cowboys,Falcons,Vikings,Eagles and Panthers are all going to win this week. So if we are going to keep pace we must win this game!!!!:imho:
    -11-09-2006, 11:49 AM
Working...
X