Kennedy not a lost pick ---yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kennedy not a lost pick ---yet

If you look back to the 2003 draft, the player selected after Kennedy have made little impact as well. In 2003 we were PUSHING HARD for a linebacker in the first round when there really wasn't any talent there. Remember EJ Henderson, wow this kid has had some major problems. And how about Boss Baily.
    Here is a list of names drafted after Kennedy. No one was a steal at this point. Out of this short list, Pisa, Ken Hamilin and Dallas Clark look like the biggest steal. I wouldn't give up on Big Jim yet.

12 St. Louis Jimmy Kennedy DT Penn State
    13 New England Ty Warren DE Texas A&M
    14 Chicago Michael Haynes DE Penn State
    15 Philadelphia Jerome McDougle DE Miami
    16 Pittsburgh Troy Polamalu SS Southern California
    17 Arizona Bryant Johnson WR Penn State
    18 Arizona Calvin Pace DE Wake Forest
    19 Baltimore Kyle Boller QB California
    20 Denver George Foster T Georgia
    21 Cleveland Jeff Faine C Notre Dame
    22 Chicago Rex Grossman QB Florida
    23 Buffalo Willis McGahee RB Miami
    24 Indianapolis Dallas Clark TE Iowa
    25 N.Y. Giants William Joseph DT Miami
    26 San Francisco Kwame Harris T Stanford
    27 Kansas City Larry Johnson RB Penn State
    28 Tennessee Andre Woolfolk CB Oklahoma
    29 Green Bay Nick Barnett MLB Oregon State
    30 San Diego Sammy Davis CB Texas A&M
    31 Oakland Nnamdi Asomugha CB California
    32 Oakland Tyler Brayton DE Colorado

Round 2
    Sel# Team Player Pos. School
    33 Cincinnati Eric Steinbach G Iowa
    34 Detroit Boss Bailey OLB Georgia
    35 Chicago Charles Tillman CB Louisiana-Lafayette
    36 New England Eugene Wilson CB Illinois
    37 New Orleans Jon Stinchcomb T Georgia
    38 Dallas Al Johnson C Wisconsin
    39 Jacksonville Rashean Mathis FS Bethune-Cookman
    40 Minnesota E.J. Henderson MLB Maryland
    41 Houston Bennie Joppru TE Michigan
    42 Seattle Ken Hamlin FS Arkansas
    43 St. Louis Pisa Tinoisamoa OLB Hawaii

Re: Kennedy not a lost pick ---yet

I would add boss bailey to the list of guys that look like a bargain in the sense that they contributed in a significant way in year one and show the potential to continue to improve.

As the list indicates, it is very very difficult for players to come into the nfl and make an impact in year one. The game is so different from college. Robertson was picked at the very top of the draft by the Jets and he didnt do all that much either.

Kennedy will get his chance. We will see how he responds. Thinking positive, i see him and pickett as having legit shots to be run stoppers for years to come. I think most of us agree that this is a crucial position for the squad this year. I am much more uncertain about dlewis.

ramming speed to all

sign the big man

general counsel

Comment

I wouldn't forget about Ken Hamlin either.

Comment

Originally posted by RamWraith
        24 Indianapolis Dallas Clark TE Iowa
        26 San Francisco Kwame Harris T Stanford
        29 Green Bay Nick Barnett MLB Oregon State
        33 Cincinnati Eric Steinbach G Iowa
        34 Detroit Boss Bailey OLB Georgia
        35 Chicago Charles Tillman CB Louisiana-Lafayette
        36 New England Eugene Wilson CB Illinois
        42 Seattle Ken Hamlin FS Arkansas
        43 St. Louis Pisa Tinoisamoa OLB Hawaii
        Out of the list you provided, I think these guys all had pretty good rookie seasons. Harris earned himself a starting job with the *****, Dallas Clark was a surprise hit in Indy, Nick Barnett recorded 109 tackles and three interceptions in his rookie season. Steinbach is a force on the Cincy line, I would have loved to have him. Boss Bailey is a beast for Detroit -- 88 tackles, 1 INT, 1 fumble recovery and one defensive touchdown. Charles Tillman record 81 tackles and four interceptions in his rookie campaign, Eugene Wilson has made a fairly smooth transition to safety and might be moved back to corner for the Pats, he had 4 INTs last year. Hamlin was a good talent for Seattle, and then of course there's Pisa.

Comment

Originally posted by NickSeiler
          Out of the list you provided, I think these guys all had pretty good rookie seasons. Harris earned himself a starting job with the *****, Dallas Clark was a surprise hit in Indy, Nick Barnett recorded 109 tackles and three interceptions in his rookie season. Steinbach is a force on the Cincy line, I would have loved to have him. Boss Bailey is a beast for Detroit -- 88 tackles, 1 INT, 1 fumble recovery and one defensive touchdown. Charles Tillman record 81 tackles and four interceptions in his rookie campaign, Eugene Wilson has made a fairly smooth transition to safety and might be moved back to corner for the Pats, he had 4 INTs last year. Hamlin was a good talent for Seattle, and then of course there's Pisa.
          Nick, I agree there turned out to be some pretty good talent in the last half of the first round and first half of the second round last year. As you mentioned, Barnett, Clark, Steinbach, & Tillman all made significant contributions last year. And Bailey, who we speculatively looked at last year, was only questioned before the draft because of his knees. If the knees stayed intact, a lot was going to be expected of Bailey.

However, the difference between those guys and JK is none of them are DTs. IMO you just can't expect much from a rookie DT.
          The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

I am hoping that with a new defensive coordinator and an offseason in the weight room JK will respond and have a big year.

Does anyone know how long it took for Warren Sapp to develop??

GO RAMMS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :redface:

Comment

I remember readin somewhere that it wasnt til his second season that things clicked for him

Comment

There have been many DTs that took time to develop. Kris Jenkins did virtually nothing as a rookie.

Comment

Working...
                X