Most Tiresome Rams Preseason Cliche

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Tiresome Rams Preseason Cliche

If you are like me, you not only scour the web for Rams information, you also are a sucker for the NFL preseason mags (Lindy's, Athlon's, Street & Smith's, etc.).

The problem is, the more you read, the more you see that sportswriting - particularly when the writers don't cover the team on a regular basis - is an art of cliches.

So, what cliche are you most tired of reading at this point?
    "This is Marc Bulger's team now."
    18.18%
    "Marc Bulger has big shoes to fill."
    9.09%
    "The loss of Grant Wistrom will hurt the defense."
    13.64%
    "If Leonard Little is suspended..."
    0.00%
    "Marshall Faulk may have lost a step."
    13.64%
    "The Seahawks have passed the Rams on paper."
    36.36%
    "Mike Martz, who has a penchant for blowing timeouts early..."
    9.09%
    "If Orlando Pace doesn't hold out..."
    0.00%

Re: Most Tiresome Rams Preseason Cliche

I am constantly amazed at how writers that dont follow the team constantly refer to us as an "old" team that is in decline. I just dont see how they come to that conclusion when, despite all the issues last season, we went 12-4, lost only one starter, have added a stud young running back, have a qb who has a full year of experience under his belt, and have a group of young players, especially on defense, that also have another year of experience. I read about all the "uncertainty" following the departure of Lovie and i wonder if anyone has any idea what they are writing about. There may be some uncertainty, like there is on every team, but i dont see how the departure of the great and sainted lovie who made zero adjustments in the middle of the carolina game as we were getting killed defensively is such a big deal.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

this poll is an excellent way to kill threads

Comment

I think you meant to write: "This post is an excellent way to kill threads."

Geez, elAcky... didn't your Mother ever tell that if you don't have something nice to say...

Comment

I think there are plenty up there AV. The shoe to fill bulgere theme is most tired for me.
          The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

Comment

I am just tired (again) of the off season. Why can't we have football all year around?
            This space for rent...

Comment

Thoey, you need to get more involved in nfl europe and the arena league. The NFL network helps also, as does the vcr for watching old games. I am with you 100% on the year round football. Maybe the nfl can go to a 162 game season like baseball.

general counsel

Comment

I'm sick of the Seahawks hype. I swear every year since 1999, the hawks have been talked up way past their own potential. Until they actually do something, sportswriters may want to "simmer down now".
                The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

didn't your Mother ever tell that if you don't have something nice to say...
                  LOL - you're telling me this.... this thread/poll isn't exacty positive :redface:

Comment

I believe Georgia still owns the team...right?

I'm already feeling sorry for Bulger, they will eat him up at camp and throughout the season. Reporters only seem to know how to drudge up controversy. It's beyond them to just let the season play out on its own without them pushing for drama.

Comment

[Font+Comic Sans MS]xxx[/FONT]
                      This was the hardest poll I think I have ever seen since you did not have an option of all of the above because i have heard all of them woodyramfan1 :helmet:

Comment

I am another one who is tired of hearing how the Seahawks have passed the Rams. Its a good thing the games are not played on paper or we would be sitting home this year instead playing.

Comment

I bought a 4 pack of Rams games and the Seattle game is included and I think we will be able to play the game better on the field than they will albeit not on paper. I wonder if anyone has did a review of how well the preseason prognosticators do in the end. :ramlogo:

Comment

Definitely the "Seahawks on Paper" comment. Until they prove it on the field, it is just an opinion on paper...
                            :tongue:

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

Does Pre-Season Matter?
                              by Guest
                              Ah yes, the fun of pre-season. Does it matter or not? I see that a lot on these boards. One side makes "too big of a deal" about pre-season and the other could care less.

What is your take on it, in detail?

In my personal opinion -

(Disclaimer; This is my opinion and as such I am in no way attempting to be needlessly negative and hereby allow anyone to ignore such perceived negativity in anyway. Furthermore, I would ask that you not respond to me if you see this as unnecessary negative and wish to argue with me which, ironically would result in a lot of negativity and a waste of time arguing over opinions.)

- I think pre-season is important to bad teams. I think how the starters look, is important.

Nothing cements this in my head more than after the 99' Superbowl, we were playing Tennessee in the pre-season rematch. Our defense could not stop anything. There was a clear and scary drop off. Our defense went on to struggle during the regular season.

So yes I think Pre-season matters. Especially with bad teams. The good teams usually rest their starters so much that you can't make judgements. Bad teams on the other hand usually try to play everyone as long as they can. Injuries do cloud things up a bit of course, but those injuries could linger into the regular season anyway.
                              -08-23-2009, 01:07 AM
                            • AvengerRam_old
                              I hate preseason. How about you?
                              by AvengerRam_old
                              When I was younger, I used to love preseason. After months without football, I was just thrilled to have it back.

Now, no so much. I find preseason to be stressful, due to the fear of injuries. I also find myself constantly tempering my reaction to what the Rams do on the field. I know that strong performances don't guarantee regular season success, and many great teams have poor preseason showings.

So, how do you feel about the preseason?
                              Its the delicious appetizer before the main course that is regular season football.
                              42.42%
                              It is a bigger tease than the plastic-wrapped copy of Maxim at the news stand.
                              21.21%
                              Glad to have football back, but this is not REALLY football.
                              36.36%
                              -08-15-2011, 11:33 AM
                              preseason games-a former players perspective
                              by Guest
                              I had lunch today with a business associate, a former redskins qb. We discussed the value or lack thereof of preseason games. I agree 100% with those on the board that believe that the most important goal of the preseason is to make it through without injuries.

When i presented the argument to my friend regarding the unnecessary risk of injury posed by preseason games, he did not agree. He made the following points:

1) There is no greater risk of injury in a preseason game than in a team scrimmage. If there are no preseason games, the teams will just scrimmage live more against themselves. Failure to do so would cause a major competitive disadvantage when the season starts.

2) it is so competitive in practice scrimmages, that without them, you would not believe how uncoordinated your team would look in week one. he felt that the games really do help prepare the teams for the regular season.

interesting perspective.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

ps. if winslow is worth 16.5 mill up front, pace is worth $20 million or more.
                              -08-11-2004, 06:15 PM
                            • general counsel
                              Annual General Counsel THread before First Preseason Game
                              by general counsel
                              Ramming speed to all! As we approach our first preseason game, i offer the following annual perspective relating to how i view preseason games and preseason in general.

First and foremost, i dont believe that you can WIN anything in preseason. I have never seen any convincing evidence that preseason performance in terms of wins and losses or anything else for that matter is a material predictor of success during the regular season. Too many games are decided by backups and guys that will never make either roster, and teams have a huge range of variability on both offense and defense, even with the first teams on the field, as to how much of their playbook they are willing to utilize. However, i do believe that you can LOSE plenty during preseason if you lose key guys to injury. Not just for the season, but guys that miss substantial time and then are never really in shape when the season starts. When they miss too much practice, it can impair the ability of an offense or defense to appropriately prepare for the season.

Football is a game of harsh physical contact. That is the reality. There is no way to avoid some form of injury. However, extreme caution should be taken at this point of the year and there is no reason for anyone to overeact in any particular direction based on what anyone thinks that they see on the practice field or in a preseason game.

As fans, its a lot more fun to see the Rams win and play well. For me, i am 99% concerned about avoiding injury than i am anything else at all during the preseason and training camp.

As we do every year, my daughters and i will go through the full 90 minute pre game Ramming Speed routine in full uniforms before the first preseason game. However, the ritual is based around avoiding injury, not winning the game.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
                              -08-07-2014, 12:54 PM
                            • majorram
                              Do you think that we need Pre-season??
                              by majorram
                              The more I think bout this issue the more I hate Pre-season, it just seems a waste of great players, aka RT Jansen of the Redskins..and I'm sure the body count we grow.....What about reducing the number of games to two instead of four... is it greedy owners looking for more revenue???????....I know you need to see what sort of squad you have and get these guys up to game speed, look at different players etc....

But to me I just PRAY that we get through these dam 4 games with NO injuries...

Does anybody feel the same!!!!!!

thoughts guys

steve :ramlogo:
                              -08-11-2004, 10:28 AM
                            Working...
                            X