Leonard Little's mental state

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leonard Little's mental state

Much has been talked about in regards to Leonard Little and his indictment for felony DUI. Most of the talk has revolved around the question of his guilt and whether or not he will be suspended and/or receive jail time. Certainly he is innocent until proven guilty and all of those who are well informed know that he will be playing this season.

Given that he will play, I have to wonder what affect this will have on his mental approach. Certainly this is a huge distraction and a heavy mental burden to carry. Will his head be in the game and will this affect his play on the field?

Re: Leonard Little's mental state

Different people react to adversity in different ways. Only time will tell how leonard will hold up mentally. Obviously, his attorney will not allow him to discuss the incident at all with the media, which hopefully will prevent him from having to answer those type of questions all year.

One issue here is strength of character. No one knows what happened that night. We also dont know whether it was an isolated incident ie was he speeding at 4am frequently and just happened to get pulled over this time.
    Personally, I think that the better he feels about what really happened (and again, only he really knows the truth), the better chance he has of blocking it out and playing to his potential. If he knows in his heart that he did it and his hopes hang on either a technicality or the skill of his attorney, he may have even more anxiety over the situation and may feel like his days in st louis are numbered. Who knows whether the guilt is eating him up inside (if he actually did it) or whether he is outraged over the situation if he knows in his heart that he truly didnt break the law.

My general rule is that people tend to act in their own economic best interests. Doesnt always apply of course and certainly didnt apply in this case if little is indeed guilty, but one sure way for him to make the situation worse on himself is to not perform on the field. Performing on the field wont keep him out of trouble of course if he is found guilty, but it may give him better options after his punishment is doled out. He is also highly incentivized to stay out of any further situations that could cause him problems, ie late night driving excursions of any kind.

The guy is so incredibly talented, that even if he is not at his best, he is still better than anyone else we have and better than most of the guys in the league.

should be interesting, good post ferter.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Hopefully, he'll play like every game is his last.

Then again, hopefully every player will play that way.

Comment

I think he'll be fine mentally, whnever he's on the field. The fairly obvious comparison would be with Kobe Bryant's situation. I'm not a Kobe fan, but I give him credit for what he was able to accomplish under very trying circumstances--the severity of the charges, international media scrutiny, traveling to from court, etc. Of course, these are two different people, but Once KB hit the court, it was like everything else going on around him just fell away. I hope LL can handle his situation with the same fortitude. I think he'll be fine.

Comment

Hopefully leonard will play better in the superbowl than kobe did in the nba finals.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Hopefully leonard will play better in the superbowl than kobe did in the nba finals.
            Now that hurts. Everyday I open my closet and see my Kobe jersey, man it hurts it hurts. LOL I think Little is the type of player that will feed off his adversity . He just seems like the type of guy that will focus more on the task on the feild.

BTW, The problem in the NBA finals was Kobe had no days where he was at both courts. If only they could have had one more day of preliminary trials the Lakers would be champs. LOL

Comment

I heard a good one on the Rome Show today....

"Moore should make one about Kobe. Call it Farenheit 9 for 47......

Comment

Does anyone think the Rams may look at Peppi Zellner as an insurance policy? I'm not sure.

Comment

Even if he is occupied beyond comprehension, Little will be more productive than any other DE on the roster.

Comment

:helmet: Whether LL is eating himself up inside or not right now who knows? General Counsel's post was most informative in that regard. When it is time to play ball for real, guilty or not, Leonard will have four quarters of football to escape from whatever demons may be haunting him. I think he will be extremely focused as gametime will be his best chance for at least a tempory escape.

GO RAMMS!!!!!!!

Comment

to me it is clear that he is a mentally unstable person.... morally i prefer he never suits up for us again...

Comment

I think there are a lot of football players that come with a lot of baggage as there are a lot that grow up in a pretty tough life. Little has got the spot light on him because of his past, and regardless whether he is guilty or innocent this will be another haunt he will have to deal with for the rest of his life.

I am torn about whether he plays of not. I recognize the fact we as a team need him for his football skills, but if he is found guilty we don't need that type of person influencing our kids. Regardless, I need to wait and see what the out come is and hear some more facts before a draw any more judgment.

Originally posted by elAcky
                        to me it is clear that he is a mentally unstable person.... morally i prefer he never suits up for us again...

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

Inconsistent leonard
                          by Guest
                          :disapointed: Leonard little's numbers have dropped since 2003 I mean he shouldn't even
                          be playing after his drunk driving incident he has done twice. If he does not
                          step it up to the plate I think he should be traded.::
                          -07-28-2006, 12:53 PM
                        • general counsel
                          Sign Leonard immediately
                          by general counsel
                          Now that pisa is signed, Leonard should be next. I was so encouraged to read that linehan has personally spoken to leonard in addition to the approach to the agent. There is no question that todays nfl is a business, and that is fine, but sometimes its more than dollars and cents.

I think its great that linehan is putting his arm around leonard. Regardless of what you think of leonards off the field history, there can be no real question as to his importance to the rams defense. This is not a guy that we are going to replace in the draft or in free agency. He is a dominant pass rusher and plays the run exceptionally well. He plays all out and plays hurt. He makes big plays at key points in the game.

He is about 30, and when we pay him, there is a legitimate shot it will bite us in the butt a bit cap wise down the road. My view on that? SO WHAT!!!! This is not a guy that we can afford to have hit the open market because if he does he is going to get what will seem like an outrageous amount of money because he is about as good a pass rusher as there is in the nfl and certainly one of the best all around guys at his position. He is a core player on defense and i dont see any way around that conclusion.

I hope that he considers how patient the team has been with him during his troubled times and can settle on an amount to stay with us for the rest of his career. Its not likely that leonard will ever create warm and fuzzy feelings in people's hearts and i understand that, but on the field the guy is truly a force of nature.

My favorite leonard story is from the sb 36 debacle. My memory may be bad on this because i have refused to ever watch a replay. I was at the game, sitting ten rows or so off the field on the side where we scored the td to tie the game in the fourth quarter. After the kickoff, the pats were deep in there own zone and the play was directly in front of me. I remember vividly thinking that they would run out the clock and play for ot and when brady dropped back to pass (i believe on the first play) i almost stroked out. I will never forget leonard bearing down on brady like a man possessed. He was about an inch away from hitting bradys arm just as brady let go. Less than half a step and he creams brady and its a fumble. I will never forget the look of determination and effort on leonards face as he attacked that qb.

Meanwhile, whatever we pay him in the contract, i hope that the deal includes a driver, and i dont mean a golf club.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
                          -10-11-2006, 05:44 PM
                          And that's why your innocient until proven guilty
                          by Guest
                          This case looks like a blatant attempt by a egomaniac to earn a stripe at Littles expense. When the officers partner says he did not see the same thing as his buddy you have to wonder if someone here is lying. Maybe there should be an investigation into the arresting officer. perhaps they will reopen a couple of the other 300 + cases he was involved in. If he did this to Leonard Little, just think what he is capable of doing to the ones who cannot afford representation. There will be those who cry foul that Little got off but I won't be one of them.
                          -04-01-2005, 07:40 PM
                        • general counsel
                          Any leonard sightings?
                          by general counsel
                          Any news on leonard? He has now been gone a week and was wondering what is going on. We need him back and i think the team has been very understanding (again) under the circumstances.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
                          -10-25-2005, 09:25 AM
                        • RamsFan16
                          I typed up Leonard Littles ESPN article. Here it is!
                          by RamsFan16
                          Courtesy of ESPN The Magazine

Two-Man Street
                          A Death in the family has Leonard Little trying to make sense of his life. Again
                          By Seth Wickersham

Tonights honoree is hiding behind a tree. He stands in the chill fall darkness in his best suit.--a beautiful brown suit, a rich man's suit-- atop a hill that eases down to a high school football field. Some of the 3,000 people in the stands are here to watch his No.30 be retired at halftime soon to wach there Asheville (N.C.) High Cougars whip the North Buncombe Black Hawks. The honoree visited with the Cougars before they burst onto the field, telling them about his own life at Asheville, now 12 years gone, about how they could cherish their high school years, about the value of innocence.

Tonights honoree isn't innocent anymore. Each morning and night, he begs and prays for forgiveness. And the forgiveness he seeks has him tucked behind a blue spruce, watching, waiting, wondering. Scared to death.

HE WAS quiet, at first, because he was in shock. It was Oct. 20, 1998. Leonrad Litte was in Harriman, Tenn., at the home of his mother, Wanda, in her windowless basement, the TV sitting cold. It wasn't clear who he was now, not after what happened the night before. He wasn't the boy nicknamed Head, the locla star who had overcome poverty and an absentee dad and the temptation of easy street money. He wasn't the linebacker who, with Peyton Manning, co-captained the Volunteers and then earned a special-teams spot with the St. LOuis Rams. Now he was something ugly. He spent a few days in that basement before someone knocked at the door, a man in his 40s with sandy hair and a warm smile.

John Berble's arrival was a suprise. They'd met at Tennessee years earlier, and Berble was a psychologist and finincial adviser for several former Vols. Everyone around Knoxville knew him as Dr. John, but Little hadn't talked to him in months. They went upstairs to the family oom, and Dr. John asked, "What Happened?"

What happened was this: Little showed up at the Adam's Mark hotel in downtown St. Louis for a suprise party--his. It was Oct. 19, his 24th birthday. Over the next four hours he drank until his blood alchohol level hit .19, nearly twice the legal limit. THen at 10:45 p.m. he hopped into his new Navigator, ran a red light at Memorial and Market and broadsideda blue Thunderbird. The driver, 47-year-old Susan Gutweiler, was headed to pick up her 15-yea-old so, Michael, at a Rob Zombie concert.

Little looked up at Dr. John, his stare empty, his voice low and flat, and said, "Someone died."

LEONARD LITTLE knows death. It's not that he's morbid or scary or deranged. In fact, he's quiet and shy and sincere, with long, baleen eyelashes that shadow a face hardened by the fallout of disgrace.

But Little knows about forgiveness, too. He forives those in St. Louis who boo him and the...
                          -02-19-2006, 10:56 AM
                        Working...
                        X