Vet stadium(a hellhole?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vet stadium(a hellhole?)

I just heard about the Philadelphia/Baltimore game getting cancelled because of the field conditions at the Vet.This stirred up some concern because the Rams open the regular season there.I know alot of coaches hate playing there and possible injuries are always a concern.I cannot understand how the NFL allows a playing surface to continue being hazardous.The game is dangerous enough without the playing surface being a minefield.I've heard alot of arguments about natural turf vs.artifical turf and I think both surfaces are fine along as they are well maintained.I just feel that the owners in Philadelphia are being cheap and irresponsible.You would think they would at least want to protect their own players .Sorry for getting up on my soapbox, but I would hate for any of our Rams to get hurt because of ignorance.

GO RAMS!
    ST.LOUIS RAMS:THE MOST FRUSTRATING TEAM IN THE NFL!!!

Oh I agree Guitar. The players definatly should not have to worry about yanking their ligaments and tendons on jagged turf. The folks in Philly either need to get a groundskeeper fit for the title or scrap the Vet.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Dominating D
      Grass versus Turf
      by Dominating D
      During the Rams run to the championship Dick V. acquired a talented group of players that played extremely well on turf.

My question to the clan is do you believe the Rams current players are better suited for the turf or grass?

In my opinion the Rams are a much better team on grass. They are bigger and stronger and the speed that was the biggest strength to the greatest show on turf is long gone and replace with stronger and slower players on both sides of the ball.

I do believe this will make the team stronger on the road. Hopefully they can find a way to win at home.

Go Rams
      Turf
      8.70%
      Grass
      52.17%
      Makes no difference
      39.13%
      -08-29-2010, 06:14 AM
    • RamsInfiniti
      Interesting perspective on why injuries seem to be more widespread these days?
      by RamsInfiniti
      Hey all. I am stuck in Utah on business, so I've had some time to just sit around and ponder. Me and a buddy were sitting around talking football last night, and got into a dicussion about why there seems to be so many injuries around the league these days. Thinking about it, injuries really do seem to be more prominent than ever. I see player after player going down in training camp and in preseason, and it's really startling. I thought back over the years, and really couldn't remember this happening in the 90's ...

So, what is the cause for the increase of serious injuries? Well, I came across an article actually concerning pro wrestling. This guys, of course, are pumped up on steroids, and train every day to look as good as they can. It's a part of the business: they need to look good to be a star since it is essentially a soap opera. However, the stronger and more ripped they get, the tighter and shorter their muscles get, and you see many injuries to pro wrestlers like torn quads and triceps, biceps, and pec muscles. They overtrain and become so stiff that they no longer have the range of motion they did before ...

So, what does this have to do with football? It's the same concept. Today's athletes feel they have to train, train, and train more to get their combine type skill numbers to insane levels. They want to have 3% body fat, and be faster than a rocket. Do these things equate to a football player being successful? Absolutely not. Football is the consummate team game. You have to be smart to play this sport. Sometimes, the greatest professionals are not the greatest athletes, look at Joe Montana and Jerry Rice for instance ...

Ultimately, I think the evolution of free agency has contributed to this. Player's always feel they need to get the edge on another guy to get the money they want. They train so hard, even obsessively, to the thing to where they are no longer athletes, they are rock hard machines. However, becoming rock hard can sometimes make you fragile. These guys work out all summer long, get ripped, come into camp, put on pads, make the work move, and blow a knee or pop a hamstring, because they haven't been training for football: they have been training to look like Mr. Olympia. They say image is everything ...

Think about the 70s, 80, and even 90s. Player's back then didn't look like they did today. They were stout and big and strong, but not ripped like bodybuilders. Today, athletes have so many supplements to help them get stronger and faster. This makes their bodies dependent on chemicals and they become machines, machines enclosed with ticking time bombs. Maybe I am just getting old, but I never remembered players looking like total freaks, at least not from a physical standpoint, in the 80s and 90s. Nor do I remember them dropping like flies due to injuries. Really, it was commonplace back then for players to come to camp completely out shape. They would work their...
      -08-21-2008, 03:17 PM
    • Curly Horns
      Burwell: NFL settlement has no winners
      by Curly Horns
      AUGUST 30, 2013 12:05 PM • BRYAN BURWELL •

The little kids were just a few feet away, scooting and scampering across the artificial turf in the Edward Jones Dome in their oversized equipment and undersized bodies. They chanted and whooped and strutted around the place, mimicking perfectly the NFL giants they all dream of becoming one day.

And there was Stan White, retired pro linebacker, veteran of 11 violent NFL seasons. White is a color radio and TV analyst for the Baltimore Ravens now, but in his playing days he was not only a damned good linebacker but a hardcore union guy back when the players were grossly underpaid and no one really knew (or cared?) what sort of long-term damage was being done to their bodies.

He’d been a soldier in the NFL labor trenches before, fought a lot of damned hard fights for the rights of the players. But on Thursday night as he prepped for the broadcast of the Rams-Ravens preseason finale, he did not feel much like celebrating the news that the NFL had reached a staggering $765 million out of court settlement over concussion-related brain injuries among its 18,000 retired players.

White knew what this was all about – and more importantly, what it wasn’t about.
      “This will help a lot of those men and their families who really need the money,” White said. “Lots of guys are suffering and in bad shape physically and financially. They need this real bad.”

But White wasn’t ready to fist bump or wave the union banner because this wasn’t a victory that insures the overall long-term health of the game. It is a short-term fix, an immediate and necessary life line to a lot of his retired brothers who are suffering the devastating effects of too much brain trauma.

“They need it. They deserve it and I’m glad the money’s coming from the owners, because they are the ones who should be paying for this,” he said.

But no, he said, he wasn’t happy, just relieved, because this story is damaging the image of the game he loves.

“I’m a high school football coach,” said White. “I don’t want parents scared to let their sons play this game.”

This is all part of the strange and conflicting inner struggle going on within the NFL community. How do you fix the game without killing it? How do you dare ask some of these battered and bruised men to make any more sacrifices for the greater good of the game, when all they’re trying to do now is just get to tomorrow without losing their minds or killing themselves?

So when White heard the voices of those who think the retired players should have stood their ground, dug their heels in the ground, refused to settle out of court, forcing the NFL into a courtroom and before a jury where the potential for a bigger financial and legal victories could have occurred, he shakes his head.

No, he says, these men have already sacrificed enough....
      -09-03-2013, 06:49 PM
    • RamWraith
      No player's brain should be like scrambled eggs
      by RamWraith
      By Bryan Burwell
      ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
      12/07/2007

For those of us who sit comfortably on the fringes of pro football, it's an exciting game that gives us everything we need: an exhilarating blend of world-class athleticism, breathless violence and flashy pageantry. We're the witnesses to this modern gladiator sport whose greatest investment is fanatical emotion and the occasional devotion to the point spread.

But when it comes to our relationship with football, we are sort of like the chicken and its contribution to a hearty egg-and-bacon breakfast. The chicken merely provides the egg.

But since the pig provides that bacon slab as a result of a butcher's blade whacking off its hindquarters, that would make the pig a bit more committed than the chicken.

In the NFL, the players can surely relate to swine. We might think we love the NFL, but the players are the ones who are physically committed. They're the ones who are taking physical risks while we boo and hiss or wave a few pompoms. They break bones and shred ligaments. They're the ones who too often have their brains scrambled in brutal collisions that we euphemistically call "having your bell rung," but medical folks more accurately describe as the devastating process of having your brain slammed violently around the inner casing of your skull wall.

So that's why I personally have no problem with Rams quarterback Marc Bulger's honesty and caution when reporters asked about his status for Sunday's game against the Cincinnati Bengals. Bulger has been trying to recover from his latest concussion for nearly two weeks, and on Wednesday made it clear that despite being given clearance by team physicians to practice, he wasn't ready to rush blindly back into game action.

When someone asked if he would be starting Sunday, Bulger said, "I wouldn't say that. I haven't been able to do anything for the last 10 days. There was a baseline test. I passed that. That was just to get me back on the practice field. Believe me, I'm the No. 1 person — I'm hoping I get cleared this week to play. (But) it will be premature to say on Wednesday, after one practice ... that I'm the starter."

I'm not sure what most people's reactions were to Bulger's cautiousness. But I know what it should be.

Understanding.

Concussions are nothing to fool around with. In professional boxing, in most states, if a boxer suffers a concussion, sanctioning bodies won't allow the boxer to participate in a match for at least 30 days. In the NFL — at least until recent years — there never was such caution. Players could go back into games after they "got their bell rung."

They do it, and they were labeled as tough guys.

But the truth is, that toughness was a dangerous mistake.

The culture of football at every level...
      -12-08-2007, 06:22 AM
    • LaRamsFanLongTime
      Torn Muscles
      by LaRamsFanLongTime
      I did not really know where to put this I was thinkining lounge but saw no appropriate area anyways. NFL players are freaking studs I have figured out. SJ pulled his groin muscle and was up playing football in a cpl weeks. I tore my big thigh muscle and have been out of commision going on 3 weeks now. I cant walk or put weight on the muscle without the help of a crutch. i just think its crazy how these players walk through these injuries. Maybe if I play my card right i can convince the Rams Docs to give me a look over and some shots.
      -12-21-2007, 04:44 PM
    Working...
    X