Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TSN Rams Report

TSN Rams Report

If LT Orlando Pace is a training camp holdout, T Grant Williams will keep Pace's seat warm until he reports. If Pace were out in the regular season, Kyle Turley would switch from right to left tackle and Williams would play on the right side. But in camp, it's more likely Williams will play on the left to limit the disruption to the offensive line. . . .
    CB Dwight Anderson, DT Brian Howard and RB Adam Matthews are rookie free agents who have a chance to make the team after impressive spring performances. Anderson could contend for the fifth cornerback spot. Howard has the quickness and hustle the team likes in its defensive linemen. Matthews showed good burst and instincts.

QUARTERBACKS ANALYSIS

Now that Marc Bulger knows he's the guy, he should be more relaxed--and effective. An underrated leader, Bulger is accurate and has improved at reading coverages. Even though the offense emphasizes aggressive play, Bulger needs to be a better judge of when to take chances, which will help him cut down on interceptions. At this stage in his career, Chris Chandler has no problem being the backup, and he's still one of the better deep throwers in the league. The question is whether Chandler, with his limited mobility, can carry the team if Bulger gets hurt. Jeff Smoker could be the quarterback of the future, but he's a year or two away from being able to handle the top backup job.

Re: TSN Rams Report

Now that Marc Bulger knows he's the guy, he should be more relaxed--and effective.
    This can't be overstated. Warner cast a long shadow over Bulger last year that (IMO) kept him second-guessing himself the whole year. Some say that Bulger is worse off without Warner to rely on, but I think he is better off without Warner looking over his shoulder.
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

One plus One = Zero

As someone said on the talk show radio station here in Austin today, and referring to the UT QB situation but it pertains to all:

"If you have two stud QB's (speaking of Chance Mock and Vincent Young, but it is relevant to all) you have none."

Comment

It's a shame Pace will miss most of training camp again. I'd really like to see the o-line be ready for the start of the season. I don't think his absence hurts his individual performance, but I think it hurts the unit as a whole, when they don't get to work together until the week before the season opener.

Now that Marc Bulger knows he's the guy, he should be more relaxed--and effective.
        That's just plain silly. I thought one of Bulger's strengths is that he's cool and calm no matter what. Why should the lack of Warner on the sidelines make him more relaxed? Aren't good competitors supposed to be at their best when they are being pushed? If he can't handle competition, he should have went into accounting (and before anyone get's bent out of shape, that's not meant to be an insult to accountants).
        Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Comment

Hey, I'm an accountant and I'm round. Round is a shape, not sure how bent it is though.....LOL

On a serious note, I'm sure it was tough on both Warner/Bulger last year. Warner wondering what happened, Bulger constantly looking over his shoulder.

Comment

Hey, I'm an accountant and I'm round. Round is a shape, not sure how bent it is though.....LOL
            That's funny stuff, Tx.

On the serious note, I agree last year was tough on both guys, but I hope Bulger's improvement comes from working hard and doing his homework, not just because Warner is no longer around. I'd be concerned if a player improves his performance when there is no competition, but struggles when someone is breathing done his neck. That's not what I would look for in a team leader.

Comment

Originally posted by Yodude
              That's funny stuff, Tx.

On the serious note, I agree last year was tough on both guys, but I hope Bulger's improvement comes from working hard and doing his homework, not just because Warner is no longer around. I'd be concerned if a player improves his performance when there is no competition, but struggles when someone is breathing done his neck. That's not what I would look for in a team leader.
              I think Bulger's improvement will come from working hard, doing his homework AND because Warner is no longer around.

And I wouldn't exactly say he struggled when someone was breathing down his neck. He played 15 games with Warner on the sideline and did pretty good (total yardage, completions, touchdowns, 3rd down %) with some things to work on (interceptions, 1st down yardage). The point is he will improve for both of those reasons: experience and being the undisputed #1.
              Last edited by HUbison; -07-07-2004, 01:10 PM.

Comment

I don't understand this theory that Kurt Warner being on the sidelines was holding Marc Bulger back. I thought that the only controversy was with the fans last year? That the team was firmly behind Bulger.

I'm coming around to the idea, and hope, that Bulger will improve this year but to say that he will improve because he doesn't have the pressure of Warner looking over his shoulder is ridiculous to me. How was he pressured by Warner last year when Warner didn't take any snaps with the first team in practice? Bulger played as poorly as a qb could play on more than one occasion and still didn't lose his starting position so I don't see how he had any pressure in that sense at all. Not from the team anyway.

No, if Bulger was struggling because of Warner being on the sidelines he may be in trouble this year. I mean, wouldn't it be a lot easier to challenge him head to head and see who's the better qb? Now Bulger has to deal with the memory of Warner which all of us know might actually be better than the real thing.

Warner being gone won't make it any easier on Bulger if Warner's presence was the cause of Bulger's struggles.

Comment

Originally posted by Moklerman
                  I don't understand this theory that Kurt Warner being on the sidelines was holding Marc Bulger back. I thought that the only controversy was with the fans last year? That the team was firmly behind Bulger.
                  I never said that.
                  I'm coming around to the idea, and hope, that Bulger will improve this year but to say that he will improve because he doesn't have the pressure of Warner looking over his shoulder is ridiculous to me. How was he pressured by Warner last year when Warner didn't take any snaps with the first team in practice? Bulger played as poorly as a qb could play on more than one occasion and still didn't lose his starting position so I don't see how he had any pressure in that sense at all. Not from the team anyway.
                  But we're not talking about pressure from the team. We're talking about pressure that Bulger put on himself.
                  And yes I know that statement is purely speculative, there is no stat that proves it, and completely my opinion. Yea, but I still think I'm right.
                  No, if Bulger was struggling because of Warner being on the sidelines he may be in trouble this year.
                  Actually, by definition, wouldn't that mean he would do better this year?
                  Warner being gone won't make it any easier on Bulger if Warner's presence was the cause of Bulger's struggles.
                  Guess I'm not following you here, Mok.

Before this gets out of hand, Mok, I feel that Warner got a shaft deal from the Rams and if I'm correct you believe the same. I'm not trying to cast off the memory of Warner as lightly as some have, but I do think that now that Warner has moved on, Bulger will actually play more relaxed. Bulger now knows this is his team. He's not just the substitute Warner.

Comment

Originally posted by moklerman
                    Bulger played as poorly as a qb could play on more than one occasion
                    I've missed you, Captain Overstatement. Welcome back.

Comment

HUbison, I'm not disagreeing with you in principal, but I'm with Mok on the fact that there's a problem there if Bulger felt held back by Warner's presence. It's inconsistant that Bulger is thought of a cool dude that doesn't get rattled by any situation, yet he was stressed out by Warner holding a clipboard.

I don't know if I agree with the assessment that Bulger didn't struggle. My recollection is that he struggled in quite a few games last year. As far as some of those stats...I'm not going to put too much stock in all of them so soon. Total yards, completions and touchdowns will come when you pass as much as the Rams do. But I'd really like to see some improvement in his reads, his interceptions, finding Faulk out of the backfield, etc.

I've made my peace with Warner being gone (although I'm not happy about it), and I'm really pulling for Bulger to live up to the faith that Martz has showed in him.

Comment

I don't think that Bulger thought about Warner's presence much on Sundays when he was on the field. But, unless he stayed completely away from all forms of media, he probably did think about it during the week - particularly the weeks after losses or sub-par performances.

I don't think Kurt's departure will have a major impact on Bulger. If anything, it might have a bigger impact on Martz, who won't have to answer questions all year about why he has a former MVP on the bench.

Comment

Knowing that Warner told Martz to stick with his starter instead of pulling him against Chicago should have taken any pressure off Bulger and made it a non factor the remainder of the season. Not being pulled after a very shakey performance a week later against Arizona only reinforced that fact.

Comment

There's no way to know Bulger's thoughts on this. I'm just throwing out an opinion. Hey, I've been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. I'll even help prove your point. Tom Brady's rating has been almost identical with Drew Bledsoe on the Pats sideline or in Buffalo. If it didn't matter to Brady, it may not matter to Bulger either. But I think (which is to say I guess) that Bulger might feel a little more settled now that the whole controversy (whether media-driven, fan-driven, or player-driven) is now over.
                            Last edited by HUbison; -07-08-2004, 11:30 AM.

Comment

I think Warner leaving is the worst thing that could have happened to Bulger IF Bulger was insecure or unconfident about filling his shoes. The memory of Warner will be a lot tougher to overcome than battling head to head in camp to see who's the better qb. Now Bulger will be competing against the ghost of the Warner led Rams and their accomplishments.

Bulger and Warner will always be linked so Bulger better not be effected by Warner or he's going to struggle throughout his career.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamDez
                                TSN Rams Report
                                by RamDez
                                By Jim Thomas

For the first time since he entered the NFL, QB Marc Bulger spent all of his offseason as the No. 1 guy--which means he has thrown exclusively to the team's top receivers. That should pay dividends; last season, he didn't start until Week 2. Bulger seems more relaxed, but he needs to work on throwing the deep ball and making better decisions.

RT Kyle Turley (back) and C Dave Wohlabaugh (hip) missed most of the offseason work after having surgery. Both should be at full speed by camp.

OFFENSIVE TACKLES ANALYSIS

In Turley and LT Orlando Pace, the team has one of the best tackle duos in the league. Wild-man reputation aside, Turley relies more on athleticism, footwork and smarts than brute force. He's better as a pass blocker, though he holds up at the point of attack. He had some rough spots after his trade from New Orleans, but overall he played near a Pro Bowl level in 2003. Pace is nimble, has long arms to fend off defenders and can muscle up. Pace could be a little nastier, but he still is a dominant run and pass blocker. Designated the team's franchise player, he could be a training camp holdout for the second straight year. When Pace did report last year, he was heavier but still played at an elite level. Backup Grant Williams is tenacious and capable of filling in on either side. Depth was added with the signing of Jeff Hatch, who started the final four games for the Giants last season.
                                -06-14-2004, 11:55 AM
                              • RamDez
                                O Line in trouble ?
                                by RamDez
                                O-line components are out of sync as Rams camp nears
                                By Bill Coats

Of the Post-Dispatch
                                07/24/2004

When the Rams assemble Wednesday morning for their first training camp practice, the offensive line will be far from intact: Left tackle Orlando Pace will be absent, center Dave Wohlabaugh will be on the sideline, and right tackle Kyle Turley will be trying to chip away rust.

"We've got a lot of work to do," coach Mike Martz said.

No area is of greater importance for the Rams. Without a solid line, the team will be hard-pressed to produce the kind of numbers that led to a 56-24 regular-season record and four playoff appearances over the last five years.

That's not to suggest that this year's unit won't perform effectively. But with Pace embroiled in another contract dispute, Wohlabaugh still experiencing hip pain after offseason surgery, and Turley recovering from a back operation that kept him out of minicamp practices and has limited his workouts, the O-line is in flux as the team heads for Western Illinois University in Macomb.

Here's a look at each of those situations:

Pace missed the first month of camp last year before reluctantly signing a one-year, $5.73 million tender as the club's franchise player. He again has the franchise tag, but his agent, Carl Poston, has been negotiating with Rams president of football operations Jay Zygmunt on a multiyear contract.

Martz said he expects Pace, a reigning All-Pro, "to be at camp probably a little sooner than he was last year. I think he understands the effect it has on this team. And also, no matter how hard he thinks he's training, it's not the same. It takes awhile to get going."

Wohlabaugh started all 17 games last season despite the nagging hip problem. Martz said the Rams would be cautious with the nine-year NFL veteran and wait for the discomfort to ease.

Turley, the team's major offseason acquisition in 2003, improved steadily, particularly with his pass-blocking, after struggling early in the season. "Kyle brings a toughness and a nastiness," offensive line coach John Matsko said. "And he's got tremendous leadership. Kyle leads by performance; he does his talking with his headgear, elbows and shoulder pads."

Beginning his second year in the Rams' system should be an asset for Turley. "Normally, it makes a big difference," Martz said. "It's an advantage coming into camp that he's had this stuff, but also, he's missed an awful lot in the offseason. . . . It won't be easy for Kyle. It's not going to be like getting on a bike again; it just doesn't work that way."

Veteran Adam Timmerman returns at right guard. With Wohlabaugh out, Andy McCollum moves to center from left guard, and Andy King, a second-year pro from Illinois State
                                -07-25-2004, 01:56 AM
                              • RamWraith
                                Inside Slant
                                by RamWraith
                                When training camp opened, the biggest question facing the Rams was how they would get through training camp with an unsettled situation on the offensive line, given the unknown status of tackles Kyle Turley and Orlando Pace and center Dave Wohlabaugh.

Turley was recovering from offseason back surgery, while Wohlabaugh had surgery on his hip in the offseason. The Rams knew Pace would likely not be in camp as the team's unsigned franchise player, so how the line would be deployed because of the Turley and Wohlabaugh injuries was an issue.

It turned out to be even bigger than expected when Wohlabaugh never made it onto the field and was released and Turley aggravated his back during the first few days of camp. Turley was placed on injured reserve in the cutdown to 65 players.

Those factors resulted in frequent shuffling on the line in camp. Andy King began as the left guard, but lost that job after the first exhibition game and was replaced by Chris Dishman. Dishman had decided to retire before coach Mike Martz convinced him to sign, and he reported at 375 pounds.

Grant Williams, who would be the right tackle as Turley's replacement, was forced to play on the left side throughout most of camp because of Pace's absence. Scott Tercero got a lot of work at tackle, even though most in the organization believe his best position is guard. Greg Randall, who was with the Texans last season, was signed when it became apparent Turley wouldn't be available.

Guard Tom Nutten, who played for the Rams during their Super Bowl seasons, but left for the Jets last year and then retired, was brought back a few days before the third exhibition game against Washington and injured his toe on his second play.

That's the type of summer it's been for a team that has deep offensive talent, but knows it could go for naught if the line doesn't come together.

Complicating things even more was Pace's decision to stay away for the entire preseason. Last year, as the franchise player, he reported and signed 12 days before the season opener and was able to play in the exhibition finale.

Not this time. Pace remained unsigned when the Rams played the Raiders Sept. 2, and for the first time, Martz voiced frustration with the situation.

Asked about Pace not being with the team, Martz said, "To be honest with you I don't think about it. This is our football team right now, I would just assume he's not coming in. That's his decision, and we're moving on.

"You can't let one player, no matter how good he is, or how good of a person he is, hold a team hostage waiting for him to come in. We have to move on, and get ready for Sept. 12th."

For line coach John Matsko, he has to get this group ready.

"Each year's different," Matsko said. "The challenge this year was to bring a bunch of guys...
                                -09-02-2004, 12:34 PM
                              • AvengerRam_old
                                Rams Stuff from ProFootballWeekly
                                by AvengerRam_old
                                • Rams first-round pick Alex Barron, a contract holdout as of Aug. 7, will be a real long shot to begin the regular season as the team’s right tackle because of the considerable catching up he must do learning one of the league’s more complicated systems. Natural OG Rex Tucker was starting at right tackle during his absence, but don’t be surprised if Blaine Saipaia ends up starting there in Week One.
                                • Word is Rams second-year QB Jeff Smoker is making huge strides and could challenge Jamie Martin for the backup role behind Marc Bulger.
                                • We hear Rams second-year DE Anthony Hargrove, who finished with a flourish down the stretch last season, has picked up where he left off and has more than held his own going one-on-one against Pro Bowl OLT Orlando Pace in training-camp drills.
                                After looking faster and catching the ball better than head coach Mike Martz remembered from his earlier stint with the Rams from 1998 through 2000, eight-year pro Roland Williams was named the team’s starting tight end ahead of incumbent Brandon Manumaleuna entering training camp. “I worked out in a special conditioning program in Tempe (Ariz.) and had a chance to improve my body,” Williams told PFW. “I also got married, and my life is a lot more peaceful. My body feels better, my mind feels better and I can’t wait to resume my career with the Rams.” Williams and Manumaleuna are both expected to see plenty of action together in two-TE sets, but Williams, who caught six TD passes for the Rams in their 1999 Super Bowl campaign, figures to be more active in the Rams’ high-octane passing game. “Whatever Mike Martz wants, I’ll do it,” Williams said. “I’ve never been a guy who’s caught up in having to start. We have a great offense with great receivers, and there’s only one ball to go around. I’m not looking to make plays; I’m looking to win.” Williams also said the Rams’ training camp, which has moved from unbearably muggy Macomb, Ill., to the friendly confines of Earth City, Mo., is “the best camp I’ve ever been a part of.”
                                -08-08-2005, 10:55 AM
                              • RamWraith
                                10 Questions (and a few answers) about the Rams
                                by RamWraith
                                By Jim Thomas
                                Of the Post-Dispatch
                                Friday, Aug. 27 2004

On the eve of training camp, the Post-Dispatch posed 10 questions concerning
                                the 2004 Rams. One month later, we reassess those questions:

1. Can Faulk still run (and catch)?

He was basically a spectator early in training camp. But Marshall Faulk has
                                gotten a lot of practice work over the past two weeks, and some exhibition-game
                                time as well. He is rounding into form, but even Faulk isn't sure what to
                                expect. The early results have been fairly encouraging. Nonetheless, it might
                                be a few weeks into the regular season before Faulk has a read on his right
                                knee and how it might hold up over a 16-game schedule.

At least the Rams appear to have an emerging alternative in rookie Steven
                                Jackson. Jackson has displayed surprising cutback ability for a 230-pounder,
                                with the power to drag tacklers for an extra yard or two. He has above-average
                                ability as a pass-catcher, and is a willing blocker on blitz pickup. He must
                                keep mistakes to a minimum, however.

2. How will Bulger fare as the man at quarterback?

Bulger seems to have the complete confidence of his teammates. With rare
                                exceptions he has thrown the ball well on the practice field - be it in Macomb
                                or back at Rams Park.

He misfired on a few passes against the Kansas City blitz in the second
                                preseason game. With the Rams' offensive line in a state of transition, rest
                                assured that Arizona (Sept. 12) and Atlanta (Sept. 19) took note. The
                                Cardinals, Falcons and other early-season Rams opponents are polishing up their
                                blitz packages as we speak.

A quick start by Bulger in September will keep the pressure off and the Kurt
                                Warner zealots quiet.

3. What's my line?

The early returns on Bryce Fisher and Erik Flowers at right defensive end have
                                been encouraging, fueling optimism that they can adequately replace Grant
                                Wistrom. Rookie Anthony Hargrove has shown flashes of his considerable athletic
                                talent on the practice field, but has yet to transfer that into games. He
                                remains raw and unpolished. His development was hampered by missed camp time
                                for a knee and ankle injury, plus a trip to Florida to tend to his family after
                                Hurricane Charley.

The foot injury to Jimmy Kennedy was unfortunate, given the amount of offseason
                                work he put in to prepare for this season. His absence makes the defensive
                                tackle depth very questionable at this point. Veteran Bernard Holsey is not yet
                                up to full speed following offseason surgery to repair a torn quadriceps
                                tendon. Brian Howard and Kevin Aldridge have had ups and downs as they contend
                                for a backup...
                                -08-29-2004, 08:34 AM
                              Working...
                              X