X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sporting News’ Good Guys

Sporting News’ Good Guys
    Wednesday, July 7, 2004

Torry Holt and Robert Thomas have been named to The Sporting News’ Good Guys list for their extensive charity work. This is the sixth year The Sporting News has honored athletes who open up their hearts to serve the community. The list includes only 25 athletes from the NFL.

For five years, wide receiver Torry Holt has been a special friend of the Bear Essentials program. Like the children in the support group, he had a parent, his mother, diagnosed with cancer when he was an adolescent. Because of this, Holt has been supporting Bear Essentials by providing families with tickets to Rams home games and attending group functions since he joined the Rams five years ago. When he established The Holt Foundation, he announced that a beneficiary of the fund would be Bear Essentials. The Holt Foundation emphasizes education and support for the entire family affected by the diagnosis of cancer and its treatment. In 2002, Torry established a program similar to Bear Essentials in his college town of Raleigh, N.C. callled the Kids Can! Program. In January of 2004, the success of the Kids Can! Program in Raleigh prompted Torry to establish a Kids Can! Program at Alamance Regional Medical Center in Burlington, N.C., the hospital where his mother received all of her treatment.

Each year Torry pledges $2,000 for every touch down he scores, and in 2003, Torry exceeded his pledge total by donating $75,000 to his foundation. Each spring, Torry hosts the Torry Holt Golf Classic in Raleigh, N.C. to raise funds and awareness about The Holt Foundation and caps the weekend off with a free camp for children in his hometown of Gibsonville, N.C. Since joining the Rams, Torry has participated in the Rams Get Into the Game: Beyond Winning video which is distributed to area schools and reaches over 250,000 students. In the video, Torry and other Rams players promote positive character development and decision-making. As part of the Diversity Awareness Partnership's informational and educational effort to reduce bias and discrimination in the St. Louis region, Torry is featured in commercials and posters with players from other St. Louis sports teams. He also attended the Difference Makers Dinner to present awards to community difference makers. Torry also frequently visit schools to promote reading as part of the Rams Reader Team.

The Rams first round draft pick in 2002, Robert Thomas focuses much of his efforts on children from Children's Hospital in St. Louis. As part of those efforts, he makes frequent visits to the hospital and also provides patients with tickets to each Rams home game. Not only does Thomas make visits to the hospital, but he also forms relationships with the patients. Recently, Thomas teamed up with Scholastic Books to donate more than 500 books to the patients at Children’s. This spring, Thomas took more than 40 patients from the local hospitals to the circus where he served as the honorary ringmaster. He is arranging more Thomas’ Team outings for the fall. In addition, he has helped raise money for Children's Miracle Network.

This summer, Thomas is teaming up with McDonald’s and Coca-Cola to host a free kids football camp in St. Louis for inner-city youth. Through the Rams Reader Team, Robert frequently visits schools to stress the importance of reading. He also is active in the Get Into the Game program which promotes positive character development and decision-making. Robert has also participated in the Race for the Cure, the Make-A-Wish Celebrity Server Dinner, and has visited local firefighters. He also participates in numerous charity golf tournaments. The Rams linebacker served as honorary captain of the inaugural Taste of the NFL-St. Louis in 2003. In 2004, the Multiple Sclerosis Society presented Thomas with an award for his work on and off the field.

Re: Sporting News’ Good Guys

To be honest ... seeing Robert Thomas on the 'Good Guy' list sickens me.... and i think cements the reason why i think he will never be a force (just a good player)..... Nice Guys finish last (especially on defense)

Comment

To be honest ... seeing Robert Thomas on the 'Good Guy' list sickens me.... and i think cements the reason why i think he will never be a force (just a good player)..... Nice Guys finish last (especially on defense)
      elAcky, buddy, your joking right? Deacon Jones was a "good guy" who sang in a glee club during the off-season but had zero problems being a very "bad guy" on the field. There's no reason Robert Thomas can't do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by elAcky
        Come on, elAcky. Just cause the guy makes a few donations and reads books to hospitalized children does not mean he can't hit someone on the field. Look at Reggie White. The guys an ordained minister and he was ruthless on the field.
        The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

oh elacky, trying to stir the pot are we?

Comment

So, elAcky. Are you going to show up and get clear with this or what?

Comment

The examples you'e given are true...i've heard a lot about our defense being soft (which i think underpins the problems we have).. Do you guys actually see robert thomas as a ruthless guy on the field?

Its a tough business on Defense... a lot of it is about intimidation.... i'm an OL coming in to play the rams.. I know they are soft... I read this story.... and I'm scared (sarcasm!!)....

Think about this... was London Fletcher a better player than Robert Thomas... probably not... but he had a reputation... and that counted for a split second in an OLmen's mind which took him to the next level... same can be said for any of the greats.. they were bad arses.

All I know is that we desperately need a bad arse in the middle of the defense.... until we get that we will be average at best..

Comment

The examples you'e given are true...i've heard a lot about our defense being soft (which i think underpins the problems we have).. Do you guys actually see robert thomas as a ruthless guy on the field?

Its a tough business on Defense... a lot of it is about intimidation.... i'm an OL coming in to play the rams.. I know they are soft... I read this story.... and I'm scared (sarcasm!!)....

Think about this... was London Fletcher a better player than Robert Thomas... probably not... but he had a reputation... and that counted for a split second in an OLmen's mind which took him to the next level... same can be said for any of the greats.. they were bad arses.

All I know is that we desperately need a bad arse in the middle of the defense.... until we get that we will be average at best..
                Agreed. We could certainly do with a bona-fide skull thumper in the middle, but isn't it possible that these men can separate their on-field mindset from their off-field personalities?

Comment

Agreed. We could certainly do with a bona-fide skull thumper in the middle, but isn't it possible that these men can separate their on-field mindset from their off-field personalities?
                  Hubison, I think you've answered your own question

Comment

As I recall, Merlin Olsen and Rosie Greer were both considered "nice guys" off the field, but they were pretty effective on the field (I think someone once said they were "fearsome").

Comment

Hubison, I think you've answered your own question
                      Good. I hope I took notes. :redface:

Comment

Working...
                      X