Pace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pace

I just read at the "old site" that Pace is "very close" to signing a long-term contract. Has anyone here heard anything to that effect?
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Re: Pace

Originally posted by Yodude
    I just read at the "old site" that Pace is "very close" to signing a long-term contract. Has anyone here heard anything to that effect?
    Nothing can happen until the 15th. Isn't that right?
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

The Rams cannot sign Pace until the 15th, to a long term deal. If they do, they lose the Franchise Tag designation for the length of his contract.

Now, if Pace signs the tender THEN negotiates a long term deal....that's different.

Comment

Nothing can happen before july 15th if i understood the explanations proferred by the gurus on our old site. Once july 15th rolls around, The Big Man is free to negotiate a long term deal without losing us the future use of the tag, provided that he signs the tender first.

Getting the Big Man under contract as close to july 15th as possible would be fantastic. Recent posts on the old site by the experts indicate that the feeling is that it probably wont be worked out until towards the end of training camp, but if it happens sooner, great. My last read of the old site was this am, so hopefully yodude's info is the most current and maybe a deal is imminent.

If it is possible for the big man to sign the tender prior to july 15th and then sign a long term contract without jeopardizing the tag, i will be happy to be wrong and have him signed up sooner.

ramming speed to all

sign the big man

general counsel

Comment

I think the speculation about Pace possibly signing is based upon the statements he made right after the deadline for him to sign an early deal had passed. He said at that time something to the effect that had he known what the Rams' counteroffer was in time, he probably would have reached a deal.

That said, I would be very surprised if Pace rushes to sign and practice in the heat of training camp in Macomb.

Comment

I realize that nothing can happen before July 15th. But are they allowed to negotiate in the meantime as long as the contract isn't signed before that date?

Comment

The rule is that no negotiating is allowed before he signs the tender.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Thanks for the info GC.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
                  How long is too long for Pace and the Postons?
                  by Nick
                  Just thinking out loud here after watching a disappointing Outside the Lines (see General NFL Talk), but the more I thought about the situation, the more I began to wonder...

How long is too long when it comes to waiting for Pace and the Postons to reach a reasonable long term contract with the Rams?

Obviously with the increasing amount of the franchise tag on Orlando Pace, as well as other players who we might want to retain using that tag, we can't tag Pace year in and year out. This is the second year in a row the tag has been placed on Pace, and while Orlando's comments in March were optimistic about a long-term deal being done this fall, we've yet to see or hear anything from him that would indicate that's still the case.

So for a moment, let's assume that Pace signs the tender during the preseason and once again fails to sign a long-term deal. At what point do the Rams begin to look for a viable replacement at left tackle, thus marking the beginning of the end of their dealings with Pace and the Postons? Does such a point exist?

Personally, I think that if the Rams and Pace can't reach a long-term deal by next spring when the time to franchise Orlando comes again, the Rams should begin considering alternative answers for the left tackle position. I'll be the first to tell you that Pace is one of the most valuable offensive linemen in the game, but the Rams cannot afford to be held hostage like this for many more seasons. Plus, I believe in the 2005 draft, there will be a number of good (not elite, but very good) tackle prospects, guys like Alex Barron or Jammal Brown, who may not be able to play as well as Pace, but should be very adequate and efficient players. Also, it's hard to tell who might be available in free agency, too.

The bottom line is I don't see the Postons bending to lower demands, and I'm not convinced that Pace is going to give them the boot any time soon. As much as the Rams may want to continue tagging Pace year after year (I think an interview with Zygmunt alluded to this), I don't think that's going to be an option after another season or two.
                  -08-09-2004, 01:01 AM
                • Nick
                  Rams place franchise tag on Orlando Pace
                  by Nick
                  http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1989427

No surprise here.
                  -02-11-2005, 02:55 PM
                • Nick
                  ESPN: Orlando Pace has signed an agent, long term deal coming?
                  by Nick
                  Agents could facilitate long-term deal
                  Updated: Feb. 27, 2005
                  By Michael Smith, ESPN.com

INDIANAPOLIS -- In what will perhaps be the first step toward finally reaching some form of resolution to what has been a contentious eight-year relationship with his team, St. Louis Rams left tackle Orlando Pace has settled on Kennard McGuire and Fletcher Smith of Skokie, Ill.-based CSMG Sports as his agents, a source said.

Pace has been the subject of trade rumors, and a new deal would be his first long-term contract since the one he signed as a rookie.

Considered one of the game's premier performers at one of its marquee positions, Pace had been without outside representation since firing his original agents, Carl and Kevin Poston, in September. Pace then acted as his own agent in signing his one-year, $7.02-million franchise tender.

Two weeks ago, the Rams designated Pace as their franchise player for the third year in a row. Another one-year contract would pay him a guaranteed salary of $8.424 million, or 120 percent of last year's earnings.

The sides have until March 15 to reach agreement on a long-term deal. If not, the Rams cannot sign Pace until July without losing the use of the franchise tag for the length of the contract. The hiring of McGuire and Smith increases the likelihood of a settlement of some kind, not so much because of who they are as who they aren't.

The Rams have been at odds with Pace's representatives since St. Louis selected the 6-foot-7, 325-pound tackle first overall out of Ohio State in 1997. Pace missed all of his first training camp and three preseason games before coming to terms on a seven-year deal (it voided to six) and hasn't participated in the past two training camps because, technically, he was not under contract and, therefore, under no obligation to do so.

No matter, it seems. Pace, 29, has been selected to each of the past six Pro Bowls. He's started every game in six of his eight seasons, including each of the past two, and 115 of 119 games played. He's also started eight playoff games.

Last year, Pace rejected a seven-year, $42-million offer from the Rams that included a $13-million signing bonus. But Pace later told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that a signing bonus in the area of $15 million to $17 million would suffice; his agents, meanwhile, had at one point proposed $27 million in bonuses, which Rams president Jay Zygmunt famously termed a "ransom note." The Rams also spoke with the Browns about a possible trade last year.

The Rams reportedly have had discussions with the New York Giants regarding Pace. But a Rams-Giants deal seems unlikely considering New York does not have a first-round pick -- it belongs to San Diego as part of the draft-day trade that landed the Giants Eli Manning.

The contract to which Seattle recently signed Walter...
                  -02-27-2005, 07:50 PM
                  Its time for RamTimeís annual *****ing about Pace
                  by Guest
                  Yep itís that time of year again when we collectively wonder if Pace is team player or not. It looks as if this year will tell a lot. Since he ďfiredĒ his agent and Walter Jones has signed there really is no reason for Opie to hold the Rams hostage and should sign a deal before free agency. We shall see but donít hold your breath because I still maintain the heís lazy and hates camp enough that he would trade not having to participate in spring training for holding his team hostage. Itís time people start calling this like it looks and stop giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Left tackle for sale, abada abada abada Left tackle for sale.... Step right up and feast your eyes on this massive specimen. That's right for 8 million dollars he can be yours for a whole year ahm minus the off season and uhm minus training camp, and uhm minus most of the pre season... abada abada abada Left Tackle for sale....
                  -02-25-2005, 03:07 AM
                • RamWraith
                  Pace fires his agent--Thomas
                  by RamWraith
                  BY JIM THOMAS
                  Post-Dispatch
                  09/14/2004
                  Last March, Orlando Pace strongly hinted that he was contemplating changing agents.

``There will probably be some changes in the future,'' he told the Post-Dispatch on March 25.

Turns out Pace wasn't kidding. Pace has fired Houston-based agent Carl Poston as his representative in contract negotiations.

The NFL Players Association confirmed Tuesday that Pace filed termination papers on Sept. 2.

Under normal procedures, both the agent and the NFLPA receives notification when a player is firing an agent. The player must wait at least five days before hiring a new agent, to make sure the old agent has had sufficient time to be notified that he is being terminated.

``At this point (Pace) has not signed with anybody,'' an NFLPA official said Tuesday.

According to NFLPA documents, when Pace signed his one-year, $7.02 million tender on Sept. 5, under the ``agent'' heading he listed himself.

Contracts must be signed both by the player and his agent. Rams president of football operations Jay Zygmunt confirmed Tuesday that Pace's signature appears under both the ``player'' and ``agent'' headings on the contract.

``He did sign his contract representing himself,'' Zygmunt said. ``In all honesty, he said he was representing himself. That's all he said.''

Zygmunt figured it wasn't the place or the time to ask Pace whether he was firing Poston or hiring a new agent. Even on Tuesday, Zygmunt said, ``I haven't been advised of anything.''

The mere act of Pace signing the contract as his own agent potentially cost Poston as much as $210,000. NFL agents can charge clients as much as 3 percent on any contract.

(Some agents don't charge when a player signs a franchise tender, because in essence it's a non-negotiated contract.)

In any event, there had been much confusion on the matter recently. In an interview with local media Thursday at Rams Park, Pace seemed to give Poston a vote of confidence, saying in part, ``I always have confidence in the people that represent me. . . .''

But in hindsight, those remarks might have been misinterpreted, because he never specifically mentioned Carl Poston, or his brother Kevin Poston, in those comments.

Then on Sunday, FOX television reported that Pace was terminating his relationship with Poston. But after the game, Pace first hedged on the subject, then seemed to issue a denial that he had fired Poston.

One reason Pace may be reluctant to confirm firing Poston is that he almost certainly will be bombarded by agents seeking his services. In addition, Pace is a private person who -- believe it or not -- doesn't like controversy.

Regardless, the NFLPA document makes it official. So does the fact that Poston's name is not on the one-year contract....
                  -09-14-2004, 06:20 PM
                Working...
                X