X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams Can Be Softies With Pets

By Sarah Casey Newman
    Of The Post-Dispatch

SHHHH, DON'T TELL. But some of those tough-looking Rams can be real Bears at times. Teddy bears, that is. At least when it comes to their pets. Not that they want to talk about them. Not for the record anyway. Except for offensive tackle Andy King.

King scores extra points for openly admitting that he has not one but three animal companions: an Airedale named Owen (so dubbed because "he looked like an Owen"); a cat named Mr. Bojangles ("a cute guy" who answers to the name of Cat); and a chinchilla named Buster (his "step-chinchilla," actually, because the "very interesting" little desert rodent belonged to his wife, Kristie, and "came with the package" when they wed).

As for the other Rams players with a soft spot for pets, they were too sheepish to speak out. A few left it up to Molly Higgins in the Rams' office to tackle the pet question. Others let their wives carry the ball.

Tight end Cameron Cleeland might have talked about the Cleeland critters, according to his wife, Mindy, "but he wants to talk about dogs," and they have only cats: American bobtails named Marble and Zeus.

The couple got the 3-year-old felines while they were living in Louisiana. "Cameron wanted a dog," Mindy said, but dogs weren't allowed in their rental complex. So Mindy started researching cats. When she "learned that American bobtails have personalities like a dog," she knew she had found the perfect compromise.

Shortly thereafter, the couple got Zeus. Not long after that, they decided that their "dog-cat," looked lonely. So they went back and got his sister, Marble.

Mindy expects there to be a canine Cleeland once their lives become more settled. In the meantime, she said, Cameron will continue playing fetch with Zeus and nuzzling with Marble on the sofa, all the while pretending that he "doesn't like cats because they're not tough."

Unlike the Cleelands’ cats, the dogs who belong to defensive tackle Damione Lewis project toughness without even trying. But according to Lewis' wife, Silvana, their pit bulls, Conan and BJ, are as gentle as a Ram's lamb.

"These dogs are so lovable. They love kids. They get along with other dogs. All they want to do is please you."

The only bad thing about pit bulls is their reputation, but "it's not the dogs, it's the owners, how people raise and treat them," said Silvana, who takes advantage of every opportunity to educate people about the much-maligned breed.

Both Conan and BJ have been through basic obedience training, and Conan has had advanced training as well. "Pit bulls are very powerful, but they're also very controllable," Silvana said. When she or her husband wants them to pose for a photo, for example, all they have to do is take out the camera.

Maximus is another Rams dog who looks tougher than he is. The 1-year-old boxer is supposed to protect Sarah Massey when her fullback husband, Chris, is away. "But he's a total coward," Sarah said.

Sarah surprised Chris with Max last Christmas, with the help of a friend who delivered the puppy on Christmas morning. Then about the size of Sarah's Yorkshire terrier, Ellee, Max is now more than 50 pounds. And he's still growing.

"He looks very intimidating," Sarah said. Unless he's playing with his favorite toy - a pooch pacifier, which he "sucks like a baby."

Unlike Ellee, Max doesn't have a closetful of clothes and doggy accessories. Sarah plans to get him a Rams bandanna, to match Ellee's blue-and-gold bow, but she hasn't told her husband yet. "Max gets a bandanna whenever I have him groomed, and Chris always takes it off," she said.

She also wants to have Max neutered. "Chris isn't so understanding about that either," but Sarah is full of surprises.

So is offensive tackle Kyle Turley, who surprised his wife, Stacy, with a black Labrador-retriever mix shortly after they'd moved to New Orleans.

"I was still adjusting to the move, plus I was feeling kind of puny," Stacy said. "I was lying on the couch when Kyle opened the door and this dog came running in and completely pounced on me," she said. She could not have been more delighted.

"Kyle knew how crazy I was about animals and how I've always been an advocate for no-kill shelters," she said. She had seen Smokey at a shelter in their neighborhood some days earlier and had mentioned him to Kyle.

The dog had been taken from his owners by the court system and placed in a shelter that had caught on fire. "He was named Smokey when we got him," Stacy said, but she didn't know if it was because of his fire ordeal or his ink-black color.

"His best trick is hiding in the dark," Stacy said. "Kyle will go out at night and call him, and if he doesn't want to come in, he just stands still, and Kyle can't find him."

Wide receiver Mike Furrey doesn't have that problem with Butkus, even though the English bulldog is only 4 months old. If Butkus is asleep, his snoring will lead you to him. If he's awake, he's usually anywhere Furrey's wife, Koren, happens to be.

"Butkus is like a baby," Koren said. "I got a carrier for him, and I take him to the mall, the grocery, just about everywhere. Only now he's getting too big for me to carry, which is kind of sad."

Like Smokey, Butkus came as a surprise. "I've always wanted an English bulldog, and Mike had said that if he ever made it to the NFL, he'd buy me one," Koren said. She just wasn't expecting Butkus to arrive when, and how, he did.

"He came from a breeder in Kentucky, but Mike didn't want to have him shipped. So he offered the people game tickets and said he'd pay for them to come to St. Louis if they'd bring the puppy along." They agreed, and the Saturday before the Rams played San Francisco, Koren got her bulldog.

"Everyone thinks he's named after Dick Butkus (the NFL Hall of Famer), but I named him after Sylvester Stallone's dog," said Koren, who's "a huge "Rocky" fan.

Defensive tackle Ryan Pickett, who has an English mastiff named Duke, also has an English bulldog, Bruno. Cornerback Jerametrius Butler has one pitbull named Princess and another named Rocky.

Head coach Mike Martz also has a dog named Rocky, as well as one named Buddy.

A Rottweiler named Jade and an Italian greyhound named Pierre reside with safety Adam Archuleta. And defensive tackle Tyoka Jackson and his wife, Tenique, have a miniature pinscher named Tuffy and a boxer named Guma.

Higgins reports that Rams owner Georgia Frontiere "is a big animal lover and has had numerous pets. She even appeared in our Rams cookbook with a photo of a horse . . . in her kitchen, no less."

Other animal fans in the upper echelon of the Rams organization include executive vice president Bob Wallace, who has "a special dog" named Wally Wallace with a special tale to tell.

When his wife, Julie, spotted the golden-retriever mix on Heartland Humane Society's Web, she had a feeling he was meant for their 9-year-old son, Eric. "We'd been talking about getting a dog for some time, because Eric is autistic, and we'd heard that children with special needs sometimes share a special bond with dogs," Wallace said. Aside from being cute, Wally stood out because of his name - "He was already Wally when we got him," Wallace said - and because he was born on Eric's birthday.

Just as they hoped, Wally turned out to be "a wonderful, wonderful dog for Eric," and for his 10-year-old brother, Grant, as well.

Phil Thomas, vice president of marketing and sales, also has a rescue dog, a golden retriever named Billy, which he got from Gateway Golden Retriever rescue.

Then there's John Oswald, vice president of operations. He says his yellow Lab, Jack, who was born in Troy, Mo., is not only a Rams dog but also a Rams fan. "He likes all sports," Oswald said, "but when the Rams are on, he'll sit in front of the television and watch the game from start to finish."

Finally, no lineup of Rams pets would be complete without Precious, Nicoal and Becky, the three rescue pugs belonging to team president John Shaw and his wife, Lori. Lori is not only active in pug rescue, she's passionate about it. When the Shaws are in California, Lori donates endless hours to Little Angels Pug Rescue ( www.lapr.org).

She has also helped with pug rescue in St. Louis and has driven all over the country to deliver rescued pugs to people who want to adopt them.

Re: Rams Can Be Softies With Pets

It's nice to hear some bits about the players and their pets. I like the fact that some have pit bulls. I have a soft spot for this misunderstood breed since I ended up adopting a pit bull mix. Mine still has some "meet and greet" issues with strange dogs but he is truly sweet, loveable and playful.

Pets are good.
    sigpic

Comment

Re: Rams Can Be Softies With Pets

Hey! What's all this soft talk about? Save this stuff for the OFF offseason. We're about to head into training camp and the season is right on its heals. It's all TOUGH talk from here till late February. YA GOT THAT!? :tongue:

Hehehe! All in good fun!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• txramsfan
        Feeling down? Read this.....from PB, MO
        by txramsfan
        http://www.darnews.com/articles/2005/05/24/news/news1.txt

PBHS grad shocked to see mom there: A walk to remember

PBHS graduate Eric Scott poses for a picture with his mother, Sandra, who has Multiple Sclerosis. Scott had no idea his mother would be attending the 2005 graduation ceremony Thursday. (DAR/Paul Davis)
        By JACKIE HARDER ~ Staff Writer
        All those years Eric Scott wore a Poplar Bluff Mules uniform, whether it was football, wrestling or track - his biggest fan was never in the stands to cheer him on.

Eric's mother, Sandra, never attended any honor assemblies or awards banquets. She never came to any of Eric's JROTC competitions. She didn't get to see her only son make the grand march at senior prom.

For the most part, Sandra has missed all the "big events" in her son's life. She was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis about the same time she became pregnant. Over the past 18 years, her disease has progressed to the point where she has been bed-bound for years. She must have an ambulance bed in order to be transported, as well as be accompanied by a medical aide or her husband, Keith.

Though Eric often brought home video tapes for his mom to watch, Sandra would have given anything to have been there in person. As his high school graduation approached, Eric had no reason to think this event would be different.

But thanks to the thoughtfulness of friends and the kindness of strangers, Sandra was given the opportunity to attend Eric's graduation last Thursday at the Black River Coliseum.

"I had no idea she would be there until I walked in the door. It was awesome," Eric said. "It's hard to explain in words what that meant. It was amazing."

Sandra, too, has a difficult time putting her feelings into words, mainly due to her loss of motor skills. Even so, her emotions are written all over her face.

"It meant the world to me," she said. "I am so proud of him."

She has every reason to be proud. Eric earned a full-ride, four-year JROTC scholarship to attend Arkansas State University this fall. He has eight varsity letters and graduated with a college prepatory certificate. Sandra and Keith Scott's walls are covered with Eric's awards and honors, dating back to his days on Little League baseball teams.

"But I don't think we could have been prouder than we were at graduation. We are so thankful she got to go," Keith said, smiling at his wife. "I know it meant the world to her. Eric will only graduate from high school one time ..."

"And I got to see it," Sandra said, finishing her husband's thoughts.

The idea of bringing Sandra to the PBHS Class of 2005 graduation ceremony was that of Patty Boyers. Boyers became acquainted with the Scott family a few years...
        -05-24-2005, 01:58 PM
      • MOM
        MOM's Sad Attempt at a Humor Thread
        by MOM
        Please join me in remembering a great icon of the
        > > > entertainment community . . .
        > > >
        > > >
        > > > The Pillsbury Doughboy died yesterday of a yeast
        > > > infection and trauma complications from repeated pokes
        > > > in the belly. He was 71. Doughboy was buried in a
        > > > lightly greased coffin. Dozens of celebrities turned
        > > > out to pay their respects, including Mrs. Butterworth,
        > > > Hungry Jack, the California Raisins, Betty Crocker,
        > > > the Hostess Twinkies, and Captain Crunch. The grave
        > > > site was piled high with flours.
        > > >
        > > >
        > > > Aunt Jemima delivered the eulogy and lovingly
        > > > described Doughboy as a man who never knew how much he
        > > > was kneaded.
        > > >
        > > >
        > > > Doughboy rose quickly in show business, but his later
        > > > life was filled with turnovers. He was not considered
        > > > a very smart cookie, wasting much of his dough on
        > > > half-baked schemes. Despite being a little flaky at
        > > > times he still was a crusty old man and was considered
        > > > a roll model for millions.
        > > >
        > > >
        > > > Doughboy is survived by his wife Play Dough, two
        > > > children, John Dough and Jane Dough, plus they had one
        > > > in the oven. He is also survived by his elderly
        > > > father, Pop Tart. The funeral was held at 3:50 for
        > > > about 20 minutes.
        > > >
        > > >
        > > > If this made you smile for even a brief second, please
        > > > rise to the occasions and take time to pass it on and
        > > > share that smile with someone else who kneads it.
        -11-29-2005, 09:12 PM
      • RamsFan16
        Dixon mourned by 1,200 at funeral
        by RamsFan16
        Dixon mourned by 1,200 at funeral
        Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- Basketball coach Maggie Dixon, who suddenly died last week at 28 after leading Army's women's team to its first NCAA Tournament berth, was mourned Tuesday by her cadet squad, former teammates and brother, Pittsburgh men's coach Jamie Dixon.

"She made reality out of our once-intangible dreams," Army forward Ashley Magnani told 1,200 mourners attending the funeral at St. Charles Borromeo Roman Catholic Church in her childhood parish.

AP Photo
        Pitt men's basketball coach Jamie Dixon kisses the coffin of his sister Maggie on Tuesday.

"Coach Dixon, our angel, we promise to make you proud," Magnani added.

Dixon died in New York on April 6 after suffering heart arrhythmia.

The 1999 University of San Diego graduate had only been at West Point since October, inheriting a team that struggled initially but won nine of its last 11 games and got to the tournament, where it lost in the first round.

She had previously been a top assistant to DePaul coach Doug Bruno after her WNBA dreams ended when she was cut by the Los Angeles Sparks after a May 2000 tryout.

Her brother Jamie, who had encouraged her to go into coaching, told mourners that he and his sister used to talk every day and she gave him inspiration.

"She saw the good in everyone. She made everyone around her a better person. She made me a better person. I've said this before -- when I grow up I want to be just like her," Jamie Dixon said.

Msgr. Robert Gallagher began the service by blessing the casket.

"Our sister has been called back to the Lord now, for some mysterious reason," he said and noted he came to the parish in 1977, only two months after Dixon was baptized, and watched her grow from "a scrawny little kid."

Citing a New Testament passage in which Jesus says, "In my father's house, there are many dwelling places," Gallagher added, "I'm not sure how many basketball courts. But you know, Maggie would take any room that the Lord would prepare for her."

A picture of Dixon's Army team was placed just below the altar.

"She reached every one of their souls," said Army athletic director Kevin Anderson.

Anderson said the last time he talked to her he was concerned she would be hired away and she promised she would not leave -- but she did.

"I was very mad last week. However, I had to consider who hired her," he said.

Acquaintances also described Dixon's life beyond basketball, including a passion for cooking and travel.

"She was splendid at loving life and passionately sharing it with all of us," said DePaul athletic director Jean Lenti Ponsetto.
        -04-17-2006, 01:14 AM
      • RamsFan16
        Penn State's Hali is from family of survivors
        by RamsFan16
        INDIANAPOLIS

Tamba Hali hasn't seen his mother since 1994, but that - he hopes - is about to change. While Hali fled to the United States to stay with his father, his mother stayed behind in war-torn Liberia.

"I just want her to be by my side," said Hali, a defensive end from Penn State. "It's been tough. First going through life with your mother; then going through the second half of your 22 years without her. You deal with it and work through it. That's how life is. Full of adversity."

Few players at the NFL scouting combine have been exposed to the level of adversity faced by Hali and his family.

"The first time we got attacked (by rebels), the plane came down," Hali recalled. "We were sitting there. I remember my mother was cooking. Gunfire just started erupting all over the place."

Such incidents happened with increasing frequency in Liberia, then in the midst of a civil war.

"So we went into hiding," Hali said. "My stepdad got a car, and we went to a village far away from the city. ... Certain people would hide us. We'd have places to stay in little huts. You find ways to manage. You find ways to eat, cook and all of that. We'd spend six months there and then come back out."

When military action heated up again, they'd head back to the countryside. Sometimes death was all around.

"Sometimes it would be just one (body)," Hali said. "Sometimes you'd see a stack of bodies sitting on the side of the road while you were walking. A lot of kids (in Liberia) weren't educated. A lot of them would be running around killing people for no reason.

"It's hard to explain to people what it's like to actually be in that situation, feeling like, 'Maybe today I could die, or see other people get killed.'"

A couple of years ago, his mother, Rachel Keita, was shot in the leg.

"She was walking with three or four other friends," Hali said. "They were walking in Monrovia. What I hear is that three other people got killed, and she got shot in the knee. By God's grace she's still alive."

It may be difficult for Hali to fully explain his experiences to others. But he's getting plenty of practice during the interview sessions with teams at the combine.

"We interviewed him (Friday) night," said New York Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi. "I was just overwhelmed with not only his story, but the way he told it. He's such a thoughtful, intellectual, moving person. ... I tell you what, you could hear a pin drop in our interview room when he was done telling us (his) story."

Many chapters remain in Hali's story, many of which might deal with his burgeoning football career. A defensive tackle his first two seasons at Penn State, Hali blossomed...
        -02-27-2006, 05:18 AM
        WHY MEN WATCH FOOTBALL (NOT written by RamTime)
        by Guest
        "Why do you bug me during football? Did I bother you during childbirth?"

Tim Taylor
        TV Host, "Tool Time"
        Detroit

Why Men Watch Football.
        By Bob Andelman

Mothers. Daughters. Wives. Sisters. Women in-laws.

Perhaps the greatest unspoken reason that men love football is because it gives many of us a few precious, uninterrupted hours away from those wonderful women in our lives.

Football presents one of the last great places where men can hide out. It's a game that women are not going to start playing any time soon and that few women care to attend in person, so men can still be men and watch the games, hootin' and hollerin' and behaving like jerks. Like Three Stooges movies, women just don't get it.

"Has football gotten in the way of relationships? I'm sure it has," Barry Dreayer says. "Past relationships didn't have a clue what was going on, didn't want to to have a clue."

Love 'em, hate 'em, can or can't live without 'em, men feel that women often complicate their lives at all the wrong times. Twelve-forty-five on Sunday afternoon is not the time to ask the man in your life to get up and do anything. It is not the time to engage him in deep conversation about Junior's grades or suspicions that Muffy is a lesbian. And it is definitely not the time to complain that he hasn't been showing you enough attention lately. Because for the next 6 hours, it isn't going to get any better.

Some women threaten their husbands with divorce because they can't bear the thought of losing them to football one more week. Some women do more than threaten.

Retired Nabisco Brands sales management executive and Los Angeles Rams superfan Jim Runels decided two could play that game. He divorced his football-hating wife and married a woman who not only tolerates the game but loves it.

"My first wife? I had to sneak off by telling her I was going to play golf," Runels says. "Then I'd go see a football game. I'd come back late and she'd ***** and complain. She'd get mad at me. I'd never hear the end of it. I could never get her to go to a football game."

Runels' home office in Yorba Linda, California, is packed with all manner of Rams paraphernalia -- hats, phones, umbrellas, helmet telephones, directors chairs, pins, cards. "Plus I have jerseys -- Bob Waterfield's No. 7 with my name on the back!" he says. "My first wife, I could never get through the front door with this stuff. When I met my second wife, Marge, I made it clear I was a Rams fan. I sent her a Rams card and she sent me back a Rams magnet and a note that said, 'See? I'm a Rams fan, too!' We clicked."

The new Mr. & Mrs. Runels -- members of the Rambassadors fan club -- make annual...
        -03-19-2005, 05:17 AM
      Working...
      X