Faulk- A far out conspiracy theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faulk- A far out conspiracy theory

Before anyone jumps on me for this, please accept it in the spirit in which it is intended. Drivel and way out of oliver stone like leftfield major longshot conspiracy theory from someone who you all know supports marshall faulk 100%.

Any shot that faulks agent, who also happens to represent jackson, has floated this story to enhance jacksons negotiating position? The news certainly makes it more important than ever for the rams to get jackson into camp immediately and therefore impacts the negotiating dynamic.

I am not suggesting that this is all made up. I believe that the uncertainty surrounding the knee is real, but that the talk of retirement or sitting out 2004 may well be an overreaction which coincidentally, helps another client of faulks long time agent. Could the headline be manufactured to help jackson without hurting faulk?

Anyone out there think that this is even remotely feasible.

ramming speed to all

Sign the Big Man and Long Live Marshall, Marshall, Marshall

general counsel

Re: Faulk- A far out conspiracy theory

I don't think so GC....I think the story has some merit. How much is debateable but this much is for certain:

1. He's 31. The maturation period for RB's in the NFL is 30 at best.
    2. When is the last time he lasted a whole season?
    3. His knee is not a secret.

Comment

It very well could be that this just another agent ploy to get an upper hand in negotiations, but I don't believe it. Faulk seems to be a pretty up front and straight to the point kind of guy. Just listening to his post game interviews over the last 5 years, after a win or a loss, he is straight out front in my opinion. He doesn't mix words like the boss. To think that this rumor started by his agent, that we never here a word from normally, is going to break/leak a story to help another one of his clients is just hard to believe. If Faulk truely is having lingering problems with his knee, and doesn't think he is ready for camp, we're not going to get, "the leak", from his agent it's going to be from him. I expect to hear something soon from him on this rumor/truth about his knee, but don't believe his agent would be the source of this to get the upper hand with Jackson.

Maineram :ramlogo:

Comment

The guy is Faulk's agent too, though. How would this kind of ploy benefit Marshall?

Comment

My point was that i dont think the statement hurts faulk at all. He either is ready and wants to play or he isnt. Rumours arent going to affect him. The decision is his, at least for this year. By the way, i was not suggesting that faulk was part of the plan here, but rather that it might have been the agents idea.

As i said, it was just a crazy idea. Grasping at straws in the hopes that this thing is being blown out of proportion.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

The ploy as I was speaking on was the one in which Faulks agent put out the rumor to benefit Jackson in negotiations, not help Faulk. That I don't believe would happen. I would, as well as Faulk if it's true, be shocked for him to turn on Faulk at this point to benefit himself. His knee may be behind schedule or more severe but the getting an edge for Jackson is far fetched.

Maineram :ramlogo:

Comment

Being 41 with knee problems (I used to speed skate in my teenage years), I know how a trick knee can screw with you. Some days, it never gives me a bit of trouble, then others, I can be walking the halls at work and all of a sudden, my knee will give out on me and I will be on the floor trying not to yell out loud....usually it passes in a few minutes, and I can walk again, although in pain and with a limp. Being as I work in a hospital, the doctors who have checked my knee tell me the cartilage is destroyed, and surgery may or may not fix it. They tell me it is my decision....so do I spend thousands of dollars and weeks unable to walk normally, and the knee may or may not get better; or do I save my money, not missing work or walking, and my knee may or may not get better?
              It seems almost even odds to me....I won't have the surgery unless there is no other choice. Meanwhile, I cannot run or skate, or play sports without hurting my knee. Some days I can barely walk. But then I think about what knee surgery did to my father....(shot with a Nazi machine gun in his right knee in 1944). He is now in a nursing home because a doctor OD'ed him on morphine....and his knee is still messed up. No, thanks, I'll live with the pain.
              Faulk may be thinking the same way...does he want to chance being crippled if this last surgery didn't work?
              No matter what, I think he will give it his best. Maybe he won't be able to finish every game...or even play all of them. But, no matter what, he is the kind of person to give all he's got to the team. If he can't do it, he has the integrity to see that someone else will....after all, he is a Ram.... :ramlogo:
              temp_4394_1467243487543_20
              RAMS!

Comment

The Rams have access to Faulk's medical reports, so I doubt they would be fooled by a "leak" by an agent.

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam
                  The Rams have access to Faulk's medical reports, so I doubt they would be fooled by a "leak" by an agent.
                  I agree with that statement. And let's not forget, Mike Martz does a pretty good impersonation of a doctor, when the need arises.

Comment

It may not be as extreme, but Marshall is kind of in the same situation as Kurt was at the beginning of last season. Most believe he still has some gas in the tank, but the injuries are suspect. If Faulk does in fact struggle next season I hope the situation is handled better than Kurt's situation.

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam
                      Good point, but keep in mind Warner's medical records seemed to indicate he was fine, yet he had problems with his hand and Bernie has reported on possible causes.

Even if you ignore the medical aspect of it, leaking news that Faulk himself is considering retirement is enough to potentially boost the price/urgency in signing Jackson.

Comment

Is faulk not working out at rams park I thought he did during the off season

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

Faulk speaks about his future
                          by Guest
                          Hi guys, i just watched the midwest sports report interview with Faulk. This was part 3 of 5 and marshall spoke about his future and what he has been doing this off season.

As for his future, he feels he can still play at a high level and said he expects to do so for a while. he says that if he feels he is hurting the team, he wont play, but that even with the injuries over the last two seasons, he has "had games where he felt like his old self." Marshall acknowledged that its difficult for any athelete to actually know when the time has come to admit that his skills have deteriorated, but that he feels stronger going into this season since he believes that his knee issues have finally been properly addressed.

As to the offseason, in addition to the knee surgery, faulk says he has "gone down a size." He clearly looks like he has dropped some weight. He says he has not been lifting and has been resting his legs more than he has in the past.

He concluded by saying that if he feels like he cant play to the level he expects he will sit down with the rams and figure out what to do next season, but he doesnt expect it to happen.

There was no discussion regarding how the drafting of stephen jackson might affect his future.

ramming speed to all, and all hail Marshall, Marshall, Marshall

general counsel
                          -06-02-2004, 08:56 PM
                        • argpdt
                          Rams Owe Marshall Faulk Playing Time
                          by argpdt
                          I find it disgusting the way that the Rams are "utilizing" Marshall Faulk these days. The past 5 or 6 games Faulk is getting very few on field plays with even fewer touches. I think that now that the season is over, the Rams should let Faulk start and see if he brings anything to the running game. Steven Jackson may be the back of the future for the Rams, but his performance has helped contribute to this lost season. When Jackson catches the ball he can be a threat, but he doesn't make people miss in the open field like Faulk either running or receiving, and Jackson has looked like he has hands of stone on far too many passes.
                          Faulk needs less than 40 yards receiving to be #1 all time amongst NFL RBs and the Rams owe him that honor.
                          :helmet:
                          -12-06-2005, 03:38 PM
                        • Nick
                          More from Hadley (Re: Faulk)
                          by Nick
                          Friday, July 9

UPDATES ON MARSHALL FAULK, BRETT HULL AND CARDS
                          04:11:37 CDT

FOLLOW UP... FAULK, CONROY, HULL, & CARDS

Updating storylines I discussed on KTRS this week.

MARSHALL FAULK: My sources are indicating that Marshall Faulk remains an enigma for the 2004 season with training camp on the horizon.

The level of anxiety differs with sources; however, the common dominator has each individual, unwilling to guarantee Faulk is ready for action.

As one source said, "There are reasons to believe that Faulk won't play this season but I expect to see him run through tunnel at The Ed (Edward Jones Dome) on the 12th (opening day, 9/12/04)."

Faulk has indicated to mutual acquaintances that he remains concerned whether his knee will be 100% for training camp and there is a chance that he will not play in 2004.

"I won't mislead you, there is an incertitude permeating through the front office into the coaches offices about the situation. You will not get anybody to confirm on the record, unless they have a position waiting with another organization. Write it if you want but he ready for the wrath of Coach (Mike Martz) and number 28 (Marshall Faulk)," were the words of another source.

Based on various conversations the consensus is that Faulk will play in 2004 however his role will be lessened (likely more than advertised).

A third source said, "I would say it's fair to question whether Marshall will be ready but never underestimate his toughness, mentally, or physically. I will say this; we need Steve Jackson and Lamar Gordon to be ready. Gordon is the real question. I have the utmost confidence that Jackson can fill the bill but if Marshall can't go, Gordon must elevate his game supporting Jackson for this offense to operate properly.

Faulk has managed, in the past, to rise to the elite level after rehabbing injuries, his badge of competitiveness is worn well, and there is ample reason to believe he can do it again.

Please read this carefully, I'm not communicating that Faulk won't play this season. I'm simply reporting that it's a possibility. Additionally, I'm communicating, if he does play his role could be even more limited than discussed in most circles. The news value is simple... Faulk donning the Rams uniform isn't "a given."

Let me repeat, so that the information isn't misrepresented, mangled or altered by those on forum boards or airwaves... I'm not writing the final chapter of Faulk's career. I'm simply conveying the fact Faulk isn't near 100% nor ready to rock 'n roll.

Simply stated, the pulse of uncertainty regarding Faulk's future is beating rapidly (at Rams Park). There is a chance he might not play; best-case scenario passed along by sources has his role more...
                          -07-10-2004, 03:13 AM
                        • argpdt
                          Marshall Faulk as a slot receiver
                          by argpdt
                          Does anyone think that there is a chance that Martz will use Marshall Faulk as a slot receiver, when Steven Jackson is in the backfield? It seems logical to find another way to use Faulk other than just as a backup to Jackson.
                          -05-31-2005, 04:01 PM
                        • AvengerRam_old
                          I want Marshall Faulk to retire
                          by AvengerRam_old
                          Will Marshall Faulk retire?

I don't know. Nobody here does. Marshall's not saying, and everything else is mere inference and speculation.

Do I want Marshall Faulk to retire?

Without question... yes. Yes I do.

I am a big Marshall Faulk fan. I think his performance from 1999-2001 was the greatest three year run by any RB in NFL history, bar none. We can all talk about Martz, Warner, Bruce and Holt, but make no mistake... the element that made the GSOT one of the greatest offenses ever was Marshall Faulk's ability to be a threat on every single play.

I know many are holding out hope that Faulk can play another year or two at a high level, even if that means being more of a role player in Steven Jackson's shadow.

I have my questions as to whether Faulk, or, more specifically, Faulk's knees, can still do that.

But the main reason I want Faulk to retire is my impression of where Faulk's head is right now. From all I've heard, read and seen, Faulk's words and actions this offseason are those of a guy who just doesn't have that drive anymore.

Who can blame him? I'm sure its hard for him to accept that he's no longer the feature back. I'm sure he's feeling unsure of what his role will be under a new coaching staff. I'm sure he's concerned about returning at this stage of his career to a team that went 6-10 last season.

If he does return, what would be his reason? Money? Records? Glory? Faulk has all of these things.

Some players reach this stage of a career and are still the kind of players you want around because of their "locker room demeanor." Faulk's not that kind of guy. He's not a vocal leader of the team, and he has had the reputation of being a difficult personality when he's not happy.

Add all of this up, and I can only conclude that the best thing for the Rams this year would be to have Faulk ride off into the sunset. Frankly, I think that may be what is best for Faulk as well.

All good things must end.
                          -06-23-2006, 08:11 AM
                        Working...
                        X