Don't expect any free agent miracles for the Rams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't expect any free agent miracles for the Rams

I am guessing we aren't going to get any big names this off-season. I have this sneaky suspicion that teams will be using their franchise tag on most of the players that are going after big money. All the new money that is out there for teams this season is going to reek havoc with teams like the Rams who have managed their cap well over the last several years. Names like Thomas, Briggs, Clements are all going to get franchised. It is almost cheaper to keep them there at this point. So once again the Rams get hosed.

You all might as well start looking at the second tier players that will be getting the big contracts.

Re: Don't expect any free agent miracles for the Rams

I might be wrong, but I believe the Bills and Clements came to an agreement when he signed his one year offer for 2006 that he couldn't get franchised in 2007.

Teams with more cap room may mean a greater chance of them retaining their own players, but I get the impression that players generally don't like having the franchise tag slapped on them and their options reduced.

Plus there are certain teams, such as Cincinnati, who think they have a viable replacement to their big free agent loss (Eric Steinbach) and thus would rather not spend the money.

All in all you may see more franchise tags, but I think there will still be a number of very good free agents available.

Comment

I never expect any "miracles" coming via FA. FA's are usually just players added to a team for depth, or replacing guys you lost via FA and nothing more. It's a rarity to get a player that can make an immediate impact, unless you're so bad at that position ANY decent player will make a difference. (Like the Spoon or Turk) If the player IS "miracle" material, why would they be available?

We need to get lucky in the draft and hope whoever we get is a quick learner. Linehan and staff need to do their homework, that's for sure. I just hope Haslett is better at evaluating defensive talent than his predecessors. We need at least three impact players added on defense to make us into a real playoff contender. In addition, Linehan's staff has now had a full season to really understand what they have and what they need, and, how best to use what they have. This offseason will test our football people. We need to get the D fixed while we still have the offensive core group currently in place. Linehan and staff can right this ship, or they can sink it just as easy....
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4324_1458960283388_621[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
        I might be wrong, but I believe the Bills and Clements came to an agreement when he signed his one year offer for 2006 that he couldn't get franchised in 2007.
        You're right. Clements will either be signed long term or he will hit the FA market. I dont expect him to return to Buffalo though.

Comment

Well i guess its lucky that Briggs, Thomas and Clements arent at positions where we will be spending a lot of free agent money on.

We will be going after players like Charles Grant, Justin Smith, Eric Steinbach and Terdell Sands. Grant may get franchised, but Cincy just gave Robin Geathers a huge contract so i dont see them being able to afford paying Smith the money he wants.

Im hoping for some DL players from teams in cap trouble to get cut. Someone like Mike Rucker or Kris Jenkins. The more top players available at the one position, the less we will have to pay overall for someone
          @EssexRam_

Comment

Well i guess its lucky that Briggs, Thomas and Clements arent at positions where we will be spending a lot of free agent money on.
            This team still lacks a true #1 corner and a guy like Clements would be a lot of help to that side of the ball. I would love to see him in Blue and Gold next season

Comment

I disagree completely. I think the strength of this team by the end of the year was our secondary. I would much rather see us spend money on the line or linebackers. I agree it would be nice to have a guy like Clements, but to me it would be a waste of resources at this point. We improve the line, we also improve the cornerback position, as a good pass rush makes a cornerback look like gold.

Originally posted by RamJackson39 View Post
              This team still lacks a true #1 corner and a guy like Clements would be a lot of help to that side of the ball. I would love to see him in Blue and Gold next season

Comment

But it's not all that practical, especially considering the play of Brown, Hill, and Bartell. Just doesn't seem like a very good use of what's obviously going to be huge free agent money. There are other more troublesome spots (DL, LB, OL) that could benefit from having some money spent in their department.

Comment

If the player IS "miracle" material, why would they be available?
                  It happens sometimes. For example, Drew Brees was available last off-season after years of sustained Pro Bowl level play. However, seeing how aggressive we were last year, I do expect a milder approach to free agency. I wouldn't be surprised if Briggs or Clements hits free agency, but I would be surprised if we were the highest bidder for either of them. If we have any high profile signings, I'd expect them to be on the defensive line because that's where we need the most help. We've barely got enough defensive ends to fill a game day roster, and with Fisk's one year contract expired, we're back to having only one nose tackle. And then there's the lack of pass rush and inability to stop the run.

Comment

I see us make a hard push for Charles Grant if he isn't franchised by the Saints!!!

steve
                    "The breakfast Club":helmet:

Comment

if we signed Clements we wouldnt have the money to spend on the DL. Therefore we wouldnt have improved against the run, and we still wouldnt have a pass rush. The corners we have will be more then adequete if we can get in the QBs face, and i dont think even Champ Bailey could cover a guy for as long as our corners are expected to at the moment.
                      @EssexRam_

Comment

OK,

I wasn't far off when I posted this a month ago. So far Thomas, Briggs and Clements have not been tagged. But you must admit there are lot of players taken from the pool by their own team, either by the tag or re-signed. Anyone got a list? This new salary structure is not going to help us. Trust me.

Originally posted by RamWraith View Post
                        I am guessing we aren't going to get any big names this off-season. I have this sneaky suspicion that teams will be using their franchise tag on most of the players that are going after big money. All the new money that is out there for teams this season is going to reek havoc with teams like the Rams who have managed their cap well over the last several years. Names like Thomas, Briggs, Clements are all going to get franchised. It is almost cheaper to keep them there at this point. So once again the Rams get hosed.

You all might as well start looking at the second tier players that will be getting the big contracts.

Comment

I'm not ignoring our defensive issues but I really hope we go after Steinbach.
                          sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

Originally posted by laram0 View Post
                            I'm not ignoring our defensive issues but I really hope we go after Steinbach.
                            well what with players being franchised he is one of the few decent players available at a position of relative need for the Rams
                            @EssexRam_

Comment

I think we go FA's for any good DL and in the draft also! Because I have a hunch, If the Rams can find a good run stuffer and another good pass rusher, We would probably end up with the best secondary in the league!!!!!!!

Comment