No announcement yet.

My Life: Challenges, Choices And Incredible Love

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My Life: Challenges, Choices And Incredible Love



    My story begins in the small, blue-collar town of Endicott, New York, nestled between the Susquehanna River and the Adirondack mountains near the Pennsylvania border. I was born in Syracuse and was the youngest of five children. My parents both experienced broken childhood lives in and out of orphanages, neither really having a positive figure in their life to emulate. For my entire adolescence my family lived well below the poverty line. With my mother staying at home with us kids and my father armed with just a high school education to support us, money was never around. Regardless of this lack of money, my mother created an environment for us kids that oozed with love. She protected us from the ugliness in life as much as she could, including the volatile mix of anger, abuse and alcoholism that had seized my father during me and my siblings formative years. It was my mother whose character, gentleness and love prepared me not only to reach for my dreams, but how to be me.

    I remember fighting through winter nights with no heat, teeth chattering and blankets bundled. I knew I wasn’t alone though. I had my brothers and sisters. My mother would rock me to sleep and sing into my ear to comfort me. I remember times with no electricity and no television and huddling up to the battery-powered radio to listen to the Super Bowl. I remember my friends calling me on a pay phone because our telephone line was shut off for failure to pay the bills. I remember being forced to move for failing to pay rent. I remember living in a cramped tent for a whole summer. I remember living in that same tent for a frigid month in the fall. Sometimes I would wake up--cold and afraid--but all I had to do was to look over and see how strong my family was being and it comforted me. Food stamps couldn’t come fast enough as the cupboards were emptied by the end of each month. I remember the feeling of extreme embarrassment as the clerks at the store seemed to giggle as we flashed our food stamps as payment. I remember the points when food stamps weren’t enough, when we relied on church baskets. When we relied on the "defects" from grocery stores - food that they would throw into the dumpster in the back that was slightly defective.

    By the time my parents divorced I was nine years old. It never really bothered me. I think even at that young age I realized that the weight of my father’s abusive alcoholic behavior towards my mother and us kids was too much to bear any longer. My mother took us to live with her in a cramped apartment that was suited for three people instead of six. We struggled, but we were loved. I remember walking three miles to school and back every day in second grade because I was afraid to change schools. I remember assisted lunches in schools and the funny looks my schoolmates would give me because my clothes remained grass-stained day after day. I remember packing up the car with our same old, reliable tent and going on vacation where we would sweat collecting trashbags of refundable cans on the beach during the day in order to have money to spend at the penny candy store at night. I remember...

    By experiencing all of this, and more, in my childhood, I realized two very important things at an early age. First, I was going to make sure that I succeeded at everything I wanted to. I would not be denied at whatever I did. I refused to live in poverty when I grew up. Second, I was going to be a compassionate and understanding individual, to try and live up to the wonderful example that my mom set for my siblings and I. To show compassion when you’ve seen so much hate. To give when you having nothing to give. To care when no one else cares. To be positive when surrounded by negativity. To hold myself to my own standards, no one else’s. To never doubt myself. My mother was a beam of light that lit the way for me in a dark environment. I had seen good and bad in my young life, and I knew that my mother chose the right road.

    When I was nine years old I had a plan. I knew how I would make it out of poverty. I had already spent sleepless nights worrying about how I would be able to afford college. I would play football, my first love, and use it as a vehicle to facilitate my road toward an education and a career. Yet, although I had a plan, I did not know at such an early age the steps that must be taken for my dreams to be realized.

    I had a plan, true, but I was still coasting. I was coasting in school, in sports, and in life. I wasn’t squeezing everything out of life that I could. It was as if I was just around for the ride. Then, one fateful day, it hit me. The biggest turning point in my life occurred when I was a 15-year-old freshman in high school. It is forever seared in my memory, one of those rare moments of clarity in which I saw everything mapped out for me. I got home from school one day and looked in the mirror…and I didn’t like what I saw. I saw an underachiever. I looked at my grades in school and I knew I could do ten times better. It felt as if the ship for success was sailing and it was about to leave me behind. Good-bye college education. Good-bye NFL. I was just getting by, just barely treading water in the Sea of Mediocrity. If I was going to make something happen, it had to start then. From that day forward--just that one day--I changed my life forever. I made a promise to myself. I would refuse to be outworked. I would take what God gave me and max it out every single day.

    I remember waking up that next morning, filled to the brim and overflowing with a sense of purpose and new life. I felt like I could take on the world, like I could do absolutely anything. I liken my emotional state equivalent to that of Scrooge waking up and realizing that it’s still Christmas. This was the new me, and it felt great! It was like I found this secret that no one knew about. Except it was, in fact, no secret at all. It was right there in front of my face the whole time, just like it is for everyone else. I just had to believe in it. Anything that I did from that day on, I did with everything I had. Whole days were dedicated to succeeding in school, in sports, and in life. If I didn’t understand anything in school, I would bug the teacher until it was clear. I would wake at 5:30 a.m. and never coast. By 7:30 in the morning, I wanted to accomplish more than most people do in a day. I reinvented myself and I was a new man. The fruits of my labor were starting to pay off - my grades were sky high and my athletic endeavors exceeded all expectations. My father had been sober for three years. Things seemed as though they couldn’t be better.

    I was wrong. In January of my junior year in high school, I met a girl that changed my life forever. I saw her beauty once and I knew that I wanted to be with her forever. She was as beautiful as the Mona Lisa, but, as pretty as she was on the outside, she was even prettier on the inside. Lauren was everything that I never knew I wanted. She was sensitive and caring. She was the only girl that really understood me and has loved me just the way I am. She understands why I am the way I am, why I must succeed. And now, seven years later, I will marry my high school sweetheart without a doubt in the world that she is my one.

    By my senior year in high school I was rolling on all eight cylinders. I had my girl, I was and all-state football player, and I was on the high honor roll. I was the captain of a football team that had crushed everyone en route to the state playoffs. The night before our big game I went to sleep soundly, dreaming of leading my team to victory...


    "Isaiah, your mother’s been killed in a car accident."

    It was the saddest day of my life. These words landed on my heart and sunk it deep into my soul. Never again will I feel the extreme sadness that I felt that day. I was numb and lost. Nothing can replace a mother’s love, and this realization came at the very moment I learned of her death. But, just like when I was little, I knew that I could look over and see the strength in my brothers and sisters. We helped each other through the rocky times. I was lucky enough to have Lauren by my side, as she has been ever since I’ve known her. That was my weakest moment and she was there to help pick me up. I still spend nights in her arms crying about the void my mother’s death left in my heart, and she is nothing but strong and supportive. She is my rock.

    I ended up playing in the game that day, ignoring the well-intentioned advice of people around me. A lot of people didn’t understand why I chose to play in the game - they couldn’t understand how I could play the same day that my mother died. Football had always been a source of extreme enjoyment to me, but after that day it became a place to lose myself. I could forget about everything going on in my life and just be me. Everything just faded away when I got onto the field. No worries…just me and my instincts. Beneath the roar of the crowd, the crashing of the pads, and the battle of the bands, this was my quiet place. This was my peace.

    If I thought I was working hard before my mom’s death, that notion was quickly wiped away. I realized how precious life was, how precious everyday was, and how I only had one chance at it. I squeezed every last drop out of my body every day, go to sleep, wake-up and do it all over again the next. Everyday was a gift from her to me and I would attack it feverishly like a nine year old on Christmas morning.

    February 4th of my senior year, just a few months after my mother died, I signed a letter of intent to attend Harvard University. I would receive an outstanding education while proving my mettle on the gridiron. I wish I could have seen the proud look in my mother’s eyes at that moment, but it wasn’t meant to be. My hard work had paid off to that point, yet I couldn’t share it with the person most responsible for getting me there.

    I wouldn’t have changed my time at Harvard for anything. I truly believe that it was the place I was destined to attend. It challenged me both mentally and physically, forcing me to continually reach beyond my grasp. I brought the same mantra to Harvard that I had begun in high school: I would refuse to be outworked. There may have been smarter people, but I vowed to myself that I wouldn’t be outworked. I graduated from Harvard last year after completing the rigorous pre-med requirements and starting every game all four years on the football team, the only person to do so in school history.

    I did not attend my graduation ceremony at Harvard. I had been selected in the 4th round of the 2000 NFL draft by the Seattle Seahawks, and I was in training camp. The Seahawks had granted me permission to go, but I had my own reasons not to attend. I had taken with me the experiences from Harvard, and I didn’t need a piece of paper to validate the legitimacy of those memories. Secondly, my father--who never graduated from college and was now sober for ten years and trying his hardest to right his wrongs--would love to accept my diploma not just for me, but for my mother and my siblings also. I could not have done it without them. This was a triumph for all of us.

    When I was drafted by Seattle, it was the culmination of a little boy’s dream and years of hard work. There was no secret potion, no magic hat. It boiled down to hard work and me answering one question: Do I want it bad enough? My path to this point in my life had many twists and turns in which I have fallen and was picked up along the way. Now my family and I wouldn’t have to worry about where our next meal came from, or if we could make it through another cold shower in the dead of winter anymore.

    I remember nights when my mom would hold me and tell me how she was going to win the lottery and scoop us up and whisk us away to paradise. Well, each of us kids did win the lottery in our own special way. But she’s already in paradise....

  • #2
    Re: My Life: Challenges, Choices And Incredible Love

    Wow, I knew I liked this guy. WOW


    • #3
      Re: My Life: Challenges, Choices And Incredible Love

      All I can say is "wow". Call me his number 1 fan from now on....

      With all the horror stories we're subjected to on a daily basis regarding our sports heroes, it's so great to read something like this. Call me soft, call me a wuss, but whatever, this story definitely had me misty-eyed. Maybe it's because I've recently lost my Father, Mother, and one of my sisters, so it brings back the feelings of losing a loved one. But it moved me.

      In fact, I've been in the market for a new Ram's jersey. I think I now know what number and name I'll have emroidered on the back. :r


      • #4
        Re: My Life: Challenges, Choices And Incredible Love

        Thank you for sharing that with us RamWraith. It helps to purge for one's own sake, for I'm sure you were not doing so to impressed or solicit sympathy from us. I am very impressed. While many may think it a sad story, I do not. It is one of many on which this nation was built. Through hardship and pain came so much hope and fulfillment. Out of weakness came strength. Out of tragedy came promise. Out of perseverance came accomplishment. Out of love, came honoring that love and memory. A toast to you and your family! While not perfect, your family before you made you who you are , and that's quite an accomplishment in my eyes. I'm proud to know you.
        Last edited by ; -03-01-2007, 06:43 PM.


        Related Topics


        • MauiRam
          Daniel Fell's wife on ... NFL Wives
          by MauiRam
          NFL wives

          Just down the winding street from our house is a charming little school called North Elementary that my family knows very, very well. It's home to the little playground with the grey "spinny thing" that Lennon has loved (to watch, not ride) since he has had an opinion. Home to a sprawling field where Danny and I used to take our sweet pup to run the furniture-chewing willies out of her. Next to a rustic, wooded nook where we had our engagement photos taken back in 2009 and about twenty years before that it was where I played kickball and four-square as a rambunctious fifth grader. North is where we meet 95% of Lennon's playdates and where he gets 99% of his knee scrapes. And when it's just me and him, we make sure to swing by Starbucks on our way there, even though it's not actually on our way. This morning was one of those days, he asked and I conceded. It was chilly out but it was just us, so we took full advantage.

          When we got to the schoolyard we sat down on our favorite bench and Lennon ate a small slice of pumpkin bread before running off to join in a game of tag. As the heat of my latte warmed my fingers I was thankful that I'd won the morning jacket debate. The clouds in the distance had become the clouds overhead and the sun had been reduced to a bright spot in the corner of sky. A mom called out to her daughter, requesting a break from swing-pushing, and then walked towards me with her hands in her pockets and a smile on her face. She asked if the seat next to me was taken and then sat down.

          We chatted a bit about the weather, about Lennon and then about her daughter. It was the usual Park-Mom conversation. How old is he? What school does she go to? Where do you guys live? We talked about the foreign concept of "TK," a new program called Transitional Kindergarten, and then somehow started talking about local high school ratings. Lennon ran over to me, yelled that he was "it" and threw his New York Giants ball cap on my lap. The woman looked down at the hat, raised an eyebrow, and then asked if we had ties to the East Coast. Before I knew it we were knee deep in football speak. She vented about her issues with the *****' offseason acquisitions, or lack thereof, and I told her a little about why Danny was excited to return to the Giants for another year. I asked her how she liked the new Santa Clara stadium and she asked me which city I've enjoyed the most on our journey. Before I could respond, she grinned eagerly and placed her hand on my shoulder. "Wait, what's being an NFL wife like?"

          I smiled and shrugged. The answer that I have bookmarked in my brain for that oft-asked question rolled off of my tongue. I told her that there are proverbial ups and downs that come with being married to a professional athlete and that the chaotic lifestyle keeps me on my toes. That sometimes it's fun and exciting and other times it's a ball of...
          -07-17-2015, 01:28 AM
        • thoey
          Jokes and Humor
          by thoey
          Figured I would start an on-going thread just for jokes and humor.

          Chili Cook-off:

          Recently I was honored to be selected as an Outstanding Famous Celebrity in my Community to be a judge at a chili cook-off because no one else wanted to do it. Also the original person called in sick at the last moment and I happened to be standing there at the judge's table asking directions to the beer wagon when the call came.

          I was assured by the other two judges that the chili wouldn't be all that spicy, and besides they told me I could have free beer during the tasting, so I accepted this as being one of those burdens you endure when you're an Internet writer and therefore known and adored by all.

          Here are the scorecards from the event:

          Chili # 1: Mike's Maniac Mobster Monster Chili

          JUDGE ONE: A little too heavy on tomato. Amusing kick.
          JUDGE TWO: Nice, smooth tomato flavor. Very mild.
          CAMERON: Holy smokes, what is this stuff? You could remove dried paint from your driveway with it. Took me two beers to put the flames out. Hope that's the worst one. These people are crazy.

          Chili # 2: Arthur's Afterburner Chili

          JUDGE ONE: Smoky (barbecue?) with a hint of pork. Slight Jalapeno tang.
          JUDGE TWO: Exciting BBQ flavor, needs more peppers to be taken seriously.
          CAMERON: Keep this out of reach of children! I'm not sure what I am supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich maneuver. Shoved my way to the front of the beer line. The barmaid looks like a professional wrestler after a bad night. She was so irritated over my gagging sounds that the snake tattoo under her eye started to twitch. She has arms like Popeye and a face like Winston Churchill. I will NOT pick a fight with her.

          Chili # 3: Fred's Famous Burn Down the Barn Chili

          JUDGE ONE: Excellent firehouse chili! Great kick. Needs more beans.
          JUDGE TWO: A beanless chili, a bit salty, good use of red peppers.
          CAMERON: This has got to be a joke. Call the EPA, I've located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been sneezing Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now and got out of my way so I could make it to the beer wagon. Barmaid pounded me on the back; now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. She said her friends call her "Sally." Probably behind her back they call her "Forklift."

          Chili # 4: Bubba's Black Magic

          JUDGE ONE: Black bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing.
          JUDGE TWO: A hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or other mild foods, not much of a chili.
          CAMERON: I felt something scraping across my tongue but was unable to taste it. Sally was standing behind me with fresh refills so I...
          -09-05-2007, 12:52 PM
        • UtterBlitz
          My Dad celebrated
          by UtterBlitz
          his one year anniversary of his heart attack a couple of days ago.

          Last year, my parents were in Florida, hiding from the cold weather and some of you might remember that my Dad had a heart attack in March. They went for a walk and my Dad did not feel very well. He had some weakness, some pain, and shortness of breath. They called for help on their cell phone and the local fire department and an ambulence came out to investigate. They checked out my ol man and gave him a thumbs up. They thought he was fine. My Dad opted for a ride to the hospital just in case, and he ended up coding in the ambulence. They had to hit him with the juice twice to get him restarted. My Mom got to witness the excitement, she was in the car behind the ambulence. She did a lot of praying while she watched and God must be watching out for them since he is still with us.

          He did recover last year and he seem to be fine after adjusting to the different medications. They both turned vegetarian and all is good. He went by the firestation a couple of days ago and brought the firestation guys a big package of goodies and a thank you note with his picture on it.

          Remember clan....all those cheeseburgers add long and prosper.
          -03-07-2007, 10:35 PM
        • Mooselini
          Had my car window smashed...
          by Mooselini
          By a meth addict. Yes...

          I was watching South Park in my room. And my room window was opened. The next thing I hear is a window shattering. The first thought that went through my mind was "oh &#*@ thats my car!"

          So my brother and I ran outside and turned the light on. By the time we had turned the light on, the guy had booked it into his truck and sped off.

          I decided to call my friend, who called his parents. We described the vehicle and my friend's dad happened to be out side smoking when a vehicle similar to the description drove by. He followed a white pick up truck 27 miles. The cops eventually pulled the guy over and everyone thought everything was good and taken care of.

          ....WRONG. The guy they had pulled over ALSO was a victim. Apparantly, he had parked his car and walked inside to grab his jacket. The burglar walked up to his truck after the other guy had went inside his house. The robber took his car stereo and his girl friend's purse. The victim decided to drive around the neighborhood looking for the guy who stole his stuff. The victim happens to drive a white pick up truck as well. So the victim gets pulled over and the police realize that he is innocent. He had drove out that far to drop his girlfriend off at her house because she was startled.

          So the cops decided to come back to my house (jeez it only took them an hour and a half). When I am filling out my police report...ANOTHER case of a stereo being stolen out of a car was reported.

          So in one night, someone (or a group of people) are smashing windows or getting into unlocked cars to steal anything that may be of value to get their drug money. THREE CARS! Who knows, there could be more.

          Not only that, earlier on MY street. Literally FOUR houses away, a man was robbed. And we live in a good neighborhood. Across the street from the college and all the schools. A very quiet neighborhood with very minimal crime activity.

          And in the end, I am a victim of it. Fortunately, no one was hurt. Well I am hurt because I got a piece of glass stuck in my hand from cleaning it. But other than that, no one is hurt physically.

          I'm just shaken up a bit. Can't sleep.

          But I needed to vent and type it down. This is the first time I am a victim of anything like this and I am just shaken up.

          In the end, everybody is safe...

          GO RAMS. (lol)
          -11-20-2008, 01:30 AM
        • ramsanddodgers
          A Week At The Gym: One Man's Story
          by ramsanddodgers
          This is dedicated to everyone who ever attempted to get into a regular
          workout routine.

          Dear Diary.

          For my sixty fifth birthday this year, my wife (the dear) purchased a week
          of personal training at the local health club for me. Although I am still
          in great shape since playing on my college tennis team 45 years ago, I
          decided it would be a good idea to go ahead and give it a try.

          I called the club and made my reservations with a personal trainer named
          Belinda, who identified herself as a 26-year-old aerobics instructor and
          model for athletic clothing and swim wear. My wife seemed pleased with my
          enthusiasm to get started!
          The club encouraged me to keep a diary to chart my progress

          Started my day at 6:00 a.m. Tough to get out of bed, but found it was well
          worth it when I arrived at the health club to find Belinda waiting for me.
          She is something of a Greek goddess - with blond hair, dancing eyes and a
          dazzling white smile. Woo Hoo!! Belinda gave me a tour and showed me the
          machines. She took my pulse after five minutes on the treadmill. She was
          alarmed that my pulse was so fast, but I attribute it to standing next to
          her in her Lycra aerobic outfit. I enjoyed watching the skillful way in
          which she conducted her aerobics class after my workout today. Very
          Belinda was encouraging as I did my sit-ups, all though my gut was already
          aching from holding it in the whole time she was around. This is going to
          be a FANTASTIC week-!!

          I drank a whole pot of coffee, but I finally made it out the door. Belinda
          made me lie on my back and push a heavy iron bar into the air -- then she
          put weights on it! My legs were a little wobbly on the treadmill, but I
          made the full mile. Belinda's rewarding smile made it all worthwhile. I
          feel GREAT!! It's a whole new life for me.

          The only way I can brush my teeth is by laying on the toothbrush on the
          counter and moving my mouth back and forth over it. I believe I have a
          hernia in both pectorals. Driving was OK as long as I didn't try to steer
          or stop. I parked on top of a GEO in the club parking lot. Belinda was
          impatient with me, insisting that my screams bothered other club members.
          Her voice is a little too perky for early in the morning and when she
          scolds, She gets this nasally whine that is VERY annoying. My chest hurt
          when I got on the treadmill, so Belinda put me on the stair monster. Why
          the hell would anyone invent a machine to simulate an activity rendered
          obsolete by elevators? Belinda told me it would help me get in shape and
          enjoy life. She said some other crap too.

          -09-04-2007, 08:42 PM