X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bernie (a real report) on Martz and Jackson

There is no beef.
    No controversy, either.

This is typical NFL stuff between a coach and rookie.

Jackson has been in STL quite a bit, and it got back to Martz (through some of the veteran players) that Jackson was acting a bit ****y. Martz is just trying to make sure the rookie is hungry when he gets to training camp. Just an ego check. Ain't a thing wrong with that.

Cheers,
    Bernie

Re: Bernie (a real report) on Martz and Jackson

If Jackson is getting a 'big head', seems Martz is doing the right thing, and should follow up by making him work for it... Jackson may be reading too many media clips, or message board opinions that he's the heir apparent to Marshall already and thinks he just has to show up and get the job...(Oops, he's not showing up, is he??) :tongue: hmmmm...

Comment

Welcome to my last post in this thread. :tongue:

Comment

I don't have a problem with Martz jackin' back a rookie or any other player for that matter. However, I do not wish to hear about it in the media. I think Martz should keep it in house. It seems that Jackson has been saying all the right things to the media. I don't like the sound of Jackson saying one thing to reporters and another to the team veterans. Rookies need to keep the mouths shut until they prove something on the field.

:ramlogo:

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
          The Bernie on Martz and his illness
          by RamWraith
          This doesn't sound good boys and girls.

sorry I'm slow to report on this, but I'm at Busch Stadium today, tending to off-day interviews in preparation of writing for tomorrow's column-
          -------------------------------------------------

Here's the deal on Martz:

First, a statement from him:

“I have been ill for four or five weeks. Our medical staff is in the process of evaluating a number of diagnostic tests to determine the cause. Dr. (Doug) Pogue suspects a bacterial infection of a heart valve called endocarditis. This can’t be confirmed for a number of days until a series of blood tests are concluded. Diagnosed early, this can be treated through a lengthy series of antibiotics with full recovery.

“However, this infection causes a great deal of fatigue and is somewhat debilitating. Consequently, I will limit my work day as much as possible until I can start to recover. I will not be at practice Wednesday or Thursday. Assistant Head Coach Joe Vitt will act on my behalf when I am unavailable.”

As of right now, Martz definitely plans to coach vs. Seattle on Sunday....that is his intention.... I also know the doctors are warning him to take this seriously -- they've been on his case for a few weeks, telling him he needs more rest. But Martz works 18-hour days (at least). I think he's sufficiently worried now.

I know a lot of people in town hate this guy because he doesn't coach in a way that pleases them, but I hope he gets well, because he's a good guy with a family who loves him.

--B
          -10-05-2005, 02:35 PM
        • RamWraith
          The Bernie Speaks
          by RamWraith
          On Martz bashing:

BernieM wrote:
          This has got to be the most shrill thread in the history of the Press Box.

I got a good laugh at the post where the 12th Ram said, basically, that I should rely on facts rather than sensationalism and speculation.

Which is beautifully ironic, since I constantly rely on facts in discussing Martz's credentials instead of falling back on the blind outrage that we see so often in here from Martz's critics.

I always stick to the facts when assessing Martz.

He has a winning percentage that's the 4th highest among NFL head coaches since the merger (50-game minimum). And his won-loss percentage compared to all previous STL head coaches, Cardinals and Rams. And the STL's NFL record before Martz arrived in a leadership position (1999) and after he arrived. And the five-year run of offense that's one of the most prolific in NFL history. And the fact that he's turned the team back around after the early-season collapse in 2002, when he had to transition to another QB. They've won 20 of 29 games since then, a winning percentage of .689. And someone -- I forget who -- actually referred in here to the Rams here as "mediocre."

His team's playoff performances (super bowl 2001, and vs. Carolina last year) have been disappointing. I will not contest that.

But I respect his entire body of work as a coach.

I also respect passion, but somewhere along the line, some of you have lost perspective.

Cheers,
          Bernie

On a poster's statement that Martz has not brought in great players:

BernieM wrote:
          This gets better all the time.

I'll go down the list provided by one of the Martz haters in here:

Faulk....Pre-Martz. CLARIFICATION: Vermeil wanted to trade Faulk during Marshall's holdout. Martz and others convinced him otherwise. Faulk was in DV's doghouse early in the season because he wanted to save his legs by not practicing all of the time. Martz intervened. I suppose a reasonable person would also acknowledge that Faulk seemed to do well in the Martz offense.

Bruce....Pre-Martz. CLARIFICATION: DV and Bruce had a problem. They didn't like each other. Vermeil called Bruce out, referring to him as a "so-called team leader." Bruce was crushed. He also developed a serious hamstring problem because of DV's marathon practices. One of the reasons Shaw wanted to hire Martz was because Martz had a special relationship with Bruce and the Rams needed to get Bruce back on track.

Holt....Pre-Martz. CLARIFICATION: False. Martz was already in place as the offensive coordinator and autonomous leader of the offense when the Rams made the decision to draft Holt. Martz worked Holtz out before the draft, and recommended drafting him. As did others in the organization.
          -09-17-2004, 06:28 AM
        • Nick
          Bernie on Martz
          by Nick
          BernieM wrote:

I haven't come around to anyone's way of thinking.

I've always taken Martz to task when warranted.

But unlike some of you, I also try to be fair about the guy.

Last year was a strong coaching performance by Martz, and anyone who didn't recognize this doesn't know football or else has a really bad jones for Martz.

As I have said before, I don't play to mobs. I think for myself.

This year, he's been erratic and uneven and distracted. I figured trouble
          was setting in when he started doing bizarre paranoid stuff with the media, in October. Martz became convinced that someone with the media was watching plays in practice and telling other teams, just because the reporter kept walking out of practice, talking into a cell phone. Nothing could be further from the truth; Martz was cracking. Martz also banned a Rams intern from practice because the Rams were getting ready for Tampa Bay and the young man had briefly interned for Tampa Bay. Nuts. Sad.

And it doesn't impact me whatsoever, so please refrain from your theories about this is why I've been harder on Martz. It simply does not matter to me, because I have no interest in watching practice or wasting afternoons at Rams Park. But I know Martz enough to be able to have a good instinct for when he's going into the real Mad Mike mode -- mad as in a little crazy. And his media stuff is usually the first warning sign, and indicates a larger problem.

When Martz is freaking out and heading into the meltdown mode, it always surfaces first with his media relations. He gets really strange; starts to do control-freak stuff that's transparent and comical. I last saw it in 2002 but he pulled his head together over the offseason and was ready to coach again in 2003.

Anyway....

Shaw is on the case.

Martz is already talking about giving Fairchild more responsibility in 2005.

Cheers,
          Bernie
          -12-22-2004, 09:28 AM
        • RamWraith
          Some Bernie--a lot about Martz
          by RamWraith
          Some Bernie--

On Martz
          A few responses:

* I haven't hesitated to criticize Martz when warranted. That's what some of you apparently forget. I wrote two columns disagreeing with his strategy in the days after the Carolina loss. The difference is, I took a reasoned approach. I wasn't demanding that he be castrated, or anything like that. Some of the reaction by fans to that game bordered on bloodlust.

* I did review the list of "leftover" players submitted here. Sorry that you missed it.

* Martz's gameday management should be better. How many times have I written that? Many. But I also think this "he isn't a head coach" stuff is ludicrous. Anyone who wins at a rate of .672 as a head coach through an ongoing roster transition is doing a lot of things right. But the hatred of Martz has become so insane -- and it truly is insane -- that now I get e-mails from fans telling me that Martz doesn't deserve credit for the offense. That's right; now some folks don't even want to acknowledge that he put together this offense. It's been one big accident. Luck. That is lunacy.

* As for Vermeil and Tony Banks and history. and me not knowing what went on....I I don't mean to be disrespectful, but it's humorous when other people tell me what really went on in those days, and how I'm wrong....and yet I was there, and the people who are telling me I'm wrong were not.

Shaw encouraged Vermeil to make a change at QB in the meeting after the 1998 season. Vermeil was hedging. He had Martz review tapes of Banks, and wanted an honest, no-holds assessment. After they signed Trent Green, I visited Martz in his office. I wanted to get a handle on Green, and Martz was kind enough to show me some video of Green in Washington. Vermeil walks into the office and makes some comments about Green, and with me right there, he thanks Martz for being the one to lead the charge on signing Trent. Later, Martz then had told me the story about how Dick asked him to review Tony Banks, because Dick was strongly inclined to stick with Banks...but after reviewing Banks, Martz told Vermeil, "if we play Banks this season, we'll all be fired, Dick." Vermeil, laughing, confirmed that story to me at a much later date.

Along these lines...when Green went down, I called Shaw up late that night and asked what they planned to do...he was crushed. He said there was debate inside the organization; Vermeil wanted to sign Jeff Hostetler, and Martz was trying to nudge him into going with Warner. (I don't think Martz was a Hostetler fan). Vermeil made the right decision. And the bottom line is, he made the decision so he gets credit. Perhaps Shaw was overstating DV's interest in Hoss; I tend to doubt that. But it would also be ignorant to pretend that Martz had no influence.

So please....I've told these stories many times. I know exactly what was...
          -08-16-2004, 06:11 AM
        • RamWraith
          The Bernie speaks
          by RamWraith
          The players like Martz a lot. They're very loyal to him. They know he falls on swords to protect them -- often taking the blame for a play that a player messes up.

Player relations are the least of his concerns.

Cheers,
          Bernie

BernieM wrote:
          Well, here we go again...

I guess ol' Bernie is being too soft on Martz again.

That's funny.

Martz was so upset by what I wrote last Thursday, Sunday and Monday he complained to at least three other prominent STL media people wondering why I'm out to get him.

Cheers,
          Bernie
          -10-02-2004, 06:52 AM
        Working...
        X