Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fisher looking for more money??

From Len Pasquarelli--

Speaking of players switching agents, Drew Rosenhaus and Jason Rosenhaus landed their second young veteran cornerback of the offseason, when St. Louis starter Travis Fisher opted for a change of representation. A two-year veteran and second-round pick in the 2002 draft, Fisher is an emerging player, who, at age 24, already has 26 starts on his resume. The former Central Florida standout tied for the team lead in interceptions (four) and passes defensed (12) in 2003, and totaled 75 tackles. Fisher is set to earn a minimum base salary of $380,000 and, not surprisingly, Drew Rosenhaus has already approached Rams officials about upgrading the deal. The team's other young starting cornerback, Jeremetrius Butler, got a new $15 million deal this spring because Washington signed him to a restricted free agent offer sheet and St. Louis matched it. Most personnel people view Butler and Fisher as equals. Earlier this spring, Rosenhaus Sports was retained by Denver corner Lenny Walls, another young defender on the rise, and a guy slated to start opposite Champ Bailey in the Broncos secondary.

Re: Fisher looking for more money??

Doesn't really surprise me, since neither of the Rosenhaus will receive any money from Fisher's current contract. And Fisher is making near minimum wage considering his role on the team. His current deal expires in 2006. I wouldn't be surprised if the Rams and Fisher worked out an extension for next spring. I don't really see one happening prior to or during this season.

Comment

A lot depends on the development of groce and garrett. Its all about leverage, and right now, fisher has none.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel
        Its all about leverage, and right now, fisher has none.
        How do you figure? Fisher is one of the few Rams cornerbacks with experience and proven talent right now. You're right in that a lot of the bargaining depends on Groce or Garrett's development, but since they've yet to show anything, that puts the ball in Fisher's court. If Groce or Garrett come out and do well, only then will it lessen the bargaining power of Fisher.

If Fisher was ever going to try and get some more money, now would be the best time... before Groce or Garrett have a chance to make names for themselves on this defense.

Comment

Nick, the context in which i say he has no leverage is that if he holds out, he doesnt get paid and does not get himself to free agency, restricted or otherwise. I dont believe he is in a strong enough position to extort money from the rams by refusing to play when he is currently under contract.

general counsel

Comment

Alright, I see what you're saying.

Comment

So in essence what Travis is saying is that"Hey,I know I'm under contract,but I want more money.So lets get the ball rolling on a contract extension sooner rather than later". Well at least he didnt hire the Postons!!!
              ST.LOUIS RAMS:THE MOST FRUSTRATING TEAM IN THE NFL!!!

Comment

By the way, i would love to see us lock up fisher long term. I think he is very very good and barring injury, will only improve. He is only a notch below an elite corner in my view. I think if we can sign the Big Man long term, we can turn our attention to fisher. On Polley, i would keep more of an open mind.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Fisher may not be flashy but he's solid. He dosen't get burnt often. Have we so forgotten Dexter NoClingon? Fisher had two INTs for TDs last year. He's considered our top CB. However, Garrett and Groce are threats. I don't remember hearing that Fisher had any intentions of holding out. He's just positioning himself for RFA.

Comment

Originally posted by txramsfan
                    Fisher may not be flashy but he's solid. He dosen't get burnt often. Have we so forgotten Dexter NoClingon? Fisher had two INTs for TDs last year. He's considered our top CB. However, Garrett and Groce are threats. I don't remember hearing that Fisher had any intentions of holding out. He's just positioning himself for RFA.
                    Fisher signed a five year deal in 2002 when he was drafted. He won't be a restricted free agent. In terms of his skill, he's one of the fastest corners I've seen. He'll never be an elite shutdown corner, IMO, but I think he can be very effective in our system.

Comment

This is probably more about Rosenhaus getting paid than Fisher getting paid.
                      The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison
                        This is probably more about Rosenhaus getting paid than Fisher getting paid.
                        I concur wholeheartedly.

Comment

Remember when we drafted fisher and there was some controversy on whether we even knew we were drafting this guy from Central Florida or if our draft list actually told us to take some other fisher that was supposed to be ranked alot higher than Travis Fisher, if he was still available???

I like his physical-ness, but not sure if he deserves any more money based on his performance to date. A contract extension, yes...but more money? Whatever we're paying him is sufficient.

Comment

Originally posted by sbramfan
                            I like his physical-ness, but not sure if he deserves any more money based on his performance to date. A contract extension, yes...but more money? Whatever we're paying him is sufficient.
                            A five-year, $3.055 million deal that includes a $1.115 million signing bonus is sufficient for a starting CB in the league? A player who tied the team lead for interceptions and had two defensive touchdowns last season? Call me the devil's advocate, but I'm somewhat surprised we haven't heard more about this sooner.

Comment

i think fisher deserves a better contract as well. i think after this season he will get some sort of an extension. i dont see how anyone can really complain about his play so far.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• general counsel
                                Say a prayer of the health of travis fisher..
                                by general counsel
                                with butler out, it becomes even more critical that fisher is healthy. I am not so much worried about depth at the #4, 5 and 6 spots as much as i am worried about what happens if god forbid fisher goes down, leaving us with no one proven to line up against the other teams big guns. Lets hope for the best.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
                                -08-17-2005, 04:05 PM
                              • MauiRam
                                Fisher: With Donald joining D-line, Rams will 'be hard to deal with' up front
                                by MauiRam
                                By Nate Latsch
                                6/9/14

Jeff Fisher isn't afraid to heap praise on rookie defensive tackle Aaron Donald, even though it's been only a few weeks since the NFL Draft and not even one full week since the start of Rams OTAs.

"Aaron Donald, our second first-round pick, is going to be a difference-maker inside," Fisher told NFL Network during an interview last week. "It's what we need. We've got such tremendous talent at the defensive end position, now with Aaron in there (at defensive tackle), with Mike Brockers and Kendall (Langford), we've got a solid front. We're going to be hard to deal with, I think, from a front standpoint."

The veteran NFL coach, who is entering his third season with the Rams, wasn't finished with his praise of his new defensive tackle.

"We sat there, going into the draft at 2 and 13, thinking, 'OK, who's going to maybe be there at 13?' There's really no way we thought Aaron would fall. He fell," Fisher told the network. "... We can use his special traits. He's an outstanding young man, very, very talented. Way ahead as far as pass rush is concerned with his hand use and things. He's going to be an explosive, dynamic player for us."

That's extremely high praise for a 22-year-old who has yet to make his NFL debut, but it's not like Donald came out of nowhere. He'll need to use a chunk of his signing bonus on a trophy case to hold all of his awards from his senior season at Pitt.

-- Bronko Nagurski Trophy for nation's most outstanding defensive player.

-- Chuck Bedarik Award for national defensive player of the year.

-- Outland Trophy as nation's best offensive or defensive interior lineman.

-- Rotary Lombardi Award for nation's most outstanding lineman or linebacker.

He also was selected the national defensive player of the year by Athlon Sports, CBSSports.com and Lindy's Sports and an All-American by just about every outlet you can think of.

But Donald isn't resting on his laurels, however impressive they may be. He's been attacking his craft during OTAs just like he attacked opposing quarterbacks at Pitt.

"I've been learning a lot from the older guys," Donald told reporters following the Rams' third OTA session on Friday. "I feel like it'll be really beneficial."

The 6-foot-1, 290-pounder -- he said he's up five pounds from his listed weight of 285 last season with the Panthers -- is getting used to the competition at the NFL level and doing whatever he can to try to fit in and get better.

"You've got to step your game up," Donald said. "I've been watching (Michael) Brockers nonstop on film, been watching (Robert) Quinn. They're all making plays."

If the rookie defensive tackle can make plays like Brockers and Quinn,...
                                -06-09-2014, 04:11 PM
                              • RamWraith
                                A Different Kind of Captain
                                by RamWraith
                                Thursday, February 17, 2005

By Nick Wagoner
                                Staff Writer

As Bryce Fisher stands before a group of high school students speaking about what it takes to set and reach goals and flashing that megawatt smile, he appears to be completely at ease. This is only surprising because his other job requires the intensity of a madman.

Fisher has spent the better part of the past three offseasons doing what he is doing on this day in front of about 30 students and faculty at Francis Howell Central. Fisher is one of the only players in the NFL to hold two jobs, one as a football player and the other as a captain in the Missouri Air National Guard.

Making the adjustment from football, where he is one of the more quiet players on the Rams to speaking in front of large groups is sometimes stressful for Fisher, but it is always worth it for both he and the students.

“I have a great time,” Fisher said. “The first couple of schools that I speak to I am really nervous because I haven’t done my speech enough times so I kind of sputter through it. Towards the end of the week as I am doing it more and more, it starts to get a lot more fun because I know what I want to say and I can make a connection with the students.”

Each offseason, Fisher, who graduated from the Air Force Academy, spends two weeks on duty with the Missouri Air National Guard. He spends one of those weeks at the Lambert Field base and the other going around and speaking to students about his life in football and in the military.

Joining Fisher on these trips is Tech Sgt. Stacy Durbin, who has been helping Fisher locate and commit to speaking engagements for two of the three years Fisher has done it.

Durbin works as a recruiter for the Air Force and helps find speaking engagements for Fisher in addition to her normal duties. She said having Fisher around is a major advantage in general, but especially in the recruiting aspect.

“I think it helps us out a lot,” Durbin said. “With Air Guard, there is not a lot of us but when we do get out there and we’ve got him, kids kind of take a bit more notice. After I come out and talk to the students and I go back into the schools after he is gone, they can kind of put my face with his. I think it does help us get a little bit more as far as the recruiting environment. Having him in our unit helps us out a bunch.”

Those speeches help Durbin’s recruiting, but make no mistake, they are also beneficial to the kids on the other end of the speech.

As Fisher’s career has blossomed, so too, has his speaking ability. The words change every season, but the message is always the same.

“I get tired of saying kind of the same things, but really it’s always the same general message,” Fisher said. “I usually sit down and I write out what I want to say. I really try to focus on two or three things...
                                -02-18-2005, 06:46 AM
                                Rams News of Travis Fisher from inside the locker room
                                by Guest
                                Guys, i have some interesting news on travis fisher. This comes from inside the rams locker room (please dont ask where) but i consider it 100% reliable. I have not seen this reported anywhere else, but of course, i may have missed it.

Fisher is the ONLY ram not participating in off season workouts without permission to be away. The only other guys not participating are archuleta (who is on his own crazy physical regime) and the injured guys.

Fisher wants more money. My source is not prepared to call it a holdout at this point, but who knows where it will go. Personally, i would love to see us sign him long term. I wonder if this will impact draft strategy at all.

I think that we can read some tea leaves here. The fact that the rams have not gone public with this info (and i dont believe that bernie, jim t. or balzer have reported it either) leads me to believe that the rams would like to try and use some of the money that they saved under the cap to get a deal done. It would be counterproductive to go public on this and make a bid issue out of it. Negative publicity or fining fisher at this point could potentially create an acrimonious holdout situation.

This topic should give us all something new to discuss other than the draft, it is certainly worthy of debate.

Ramming speed to all,

general counsel
                                -04-06-2005, 06:38 AM
                              • RamsFan16
                                Fisher Feeling Fit
                                by RamsFan16
                                Fisher Feeling Fit
                                Monday, June 12, 2006

By Nick Wagoner
                                Senior Writer

It would have been easy for Travis Fisher to take a look at what the Rams did to bolster their secondary in the offseason and pout about it.

Once considered a rising star at cornerback, Fisher has struggled to stay healthy in each of the past two seasons and those injuries have limited him even when he has been on the field.

Instead of publicly whining about the team’s decision to use a first-round pick on cornerback Tye Hill and sign free agent Fakhir Brown, Fisher decided to use it as motivation to get back to the player that once showed Pro Bowl type promise in this, the final year of his contract.

“When they drafted somebody in the first round, personally it was kind of like a slap in the face if I’m trying to get a new deal, but I can’t be pouting about it,” Fisher said. “I have to go out on the field and play. I just wanted to make sure that when I step on this field, I’m going to be the best cornerback out there.”

During the team’s minicamps and organized team activities, it seems Fisher has not only been the best cornerback on the field, but one of the emerging leaders of the new defense.

For most of the past weekend’s final minicamp, Fisher worked with the first team at corner alongside Brown. In a group of so many players, Fisher stood out on a number of occasions.

During Saturday’s morning practice, while working on red zone plays, Fisher broke on a slant over the middle to receiver Kevin Curtis, dived in front and stabbed it for an acrobatic interception that brought applause from teammates and coaches alike.

It was a small play in a practice, but it’s significant enough to note that Fisher is making plays that he made when he was fully healthy and productive.

“He’s been playing great,” coach Scott Linehan said. “I said the first minicamp the guy I came away feeling the best about was how competitive Travis was in one on one and the whole thing. He had the injury and we didn’t know how he’d be able to perform.”

For his part, Fisher wasn’t even sure what to expect from the new coaching staff upon their arrival. He played in just eight games last year, finishing with 35 tackles, no interceptions and a pair of forced fumbles as he dealt with a groin injury. In 2004, he played in 10 games after dealing with a jaw injury and a broken forearm.

Health has become the top priority for Fisher. It’s no coincidence that making his health a priority has had a direct correlation to his rejuvenated performances in the team’s offseason program.

Fisher was once thought to be one of the fastest Rams, known for his excellent closing speed in coverage. But, Fisher played the past couple of seasons a little over 200 pounds and believes that the extra weight might have contributed...
                                -06-12-2006, 03:09 PM
                              Working...
                              X