JACKSON SIGNED!--Bernie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JACKSON SIGNED!--Bernie

The Rams have reached an agreement with their No. 1 pick, RB Steven Jackson.

I don't have the terms. Sorry.

The deal was finalized amid the festive setting at J. Buck's in Clayton late Saturday. Jackson was there, accompanied by his St. Louis-based agent, Rocky Arceneaux. Rams president and chief contract negotiatior Jay Zygmunt arrived at the restaurant with a big stack of papers, and the group retreated to a private area to review documents before Jackson signed off.

Marshall Faulk was there, which I view as a real positive.

Marshall really looks fit, by the way. He's streamlined to compared to the muscle/heft he toted around last summer in camp.

Jackson is a big dude. Possibly too big? If so, he'll sweat it off in camp.

I can't imagine what it would be like to be a DB and have this train, Jackson, coming around the bend, his headlights locked in on you.

If he's Ricky Williams with a heart, the Rams will have something special.

I don't know if the Rams will formally announce this Sunday, but it is done. All parties seemed happy.

Thought you'd want to know, ASAP.

Cheers,
    Bernie

Re: JACKSON SIGNED!--Bernie

Rock on! That's great news, especially the bits about Marshall!

Comment

Excellent. :ramlogo: :redface:

The deal is done. The paperwork is over. Now on to learning that playbook. I agree that it is great to see Marshall involved in the process. I am sure that Marshall will enjoy having a talented guy like Jackson to work with.

It's going to be a good season. Go Rams!!!!
      sigpic

Comment

I hear you Utter, its a good bit of news for all of us

Comment

Great news, official welcome to the rams family to mr. jackson, he is now part of the squad!

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Rumor has it Jackson's contract is for five years.

Comment

Looks and sounds good. Definately a plus on MF. Maybe he will have a kickass yr since all the hype on "he's getting to the end" is so knee deep. Wouldn't it be sweet to see the Rams come out with a fierce vengence in their hearts to win it all. I know I have it. If you look at the big picture of this game there is a lot of good stuff to look forward to from lots of players, not just the Rams, but I want the Rams to look at those players and determine to be at the top.To knock them down and keep them there. Maybe this Jackson fellow will be the beginning of a season of highs. I do wish Pace would get signed and in camp so he can get in the groove.
              Thanks for the update!

Comment

Sweet! Camp starts Tuesday right? Can't wait to hear the first reports.

Imagine this: Kevin Curtis steps in and becomes our speedy, skilled #3 wideout. Marc Bulger plays up to his potential. Marshall Faulk is healthy and can play like he has in the past. Sounds like the makings of a Greatest Show on Turf. Toss in another skilled RB, and imagine what this offense can do! Wow! Things are certainly going to be fun to watch this season!

Comment

The Rams just need a healthy, hole producing O-line and we my see numbers that rival the 500+ point seasons of the past.
                  Roman18 :helmet::helmet:

Comment

Great news!!

Please already with the ricky williams comparisons!! Geez, they both have dreadlocks, they must be comparable. Get a freaking clue!!

Stick to baseball bernie.

:ramlogo:

Comment

The day Bernie the dolt comes out with a pure football article will be the day I eat my hat.

__________________________________________________________
                      Keeping the Rams Nation Talking

Comment

Bernie is Ok in my book!

At least the guy as an opinion and makes it known. I like him. Makes one think of other areas and is not always playing the political game.

He did beat every other reporter to this stroy.

Comment

Cheers,
                          Bernie
                          Originally posted by Wraith
                          At least the guy as an opinion and makes it known. I like him. Makes one think of other areas and is not always playing the political game.
                          Opinions are one thing, but comparing Jackson to williams just because of the locks is freaking stupid. I guess the other area has something to with politics, rather than hair?

:ramlogo:

Comment

Originally posted by Ferter
                            Opinions are one thing, but comparing Jackson to williams just because of the locks is freaking stupid. I guess the other area has something to with politics, rather than hair?
                            Who said it's just because of the locks, Ferter? It's rather presumptuous to assume that Bernie's making his comparison based on that and that alone.
                            Last edited by Nick; -07-25-2004, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Easy on the Bernie stuff guys. This probably came from an email. Not necessarily an article. It is good news. He's a big guy, 6'2 233, if he gets past the LB's the secondary is in trouble. 39 touchdowns in 36 games at OSU. In three seasons. Not hurt much it sounds like. Nice to have a RB who has averaged a little more than a TD a game in his college career. I wonder how many of those were inside the red zone?

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
                                Jackson Signed--Bernie
                                by RamWraith
                                The Rams have reached an agreement with their No. 1 pick, RB Steven Jackson.

I don't have the terms. Sorry.

The deal was finalized amid the festive setting at J. Buck's in Clayton late Saturday. Jackson was there, accompanied by his St. Louis-based agent, Rocky Arceneaux. Rams president and chief contract negotiatior Jay Zygmunt arrived at the restaurant with a big stack of papers, and the group retreated to a private area to review documents before Jackson signed off.

Marshall Faulk was there, which I view as a real positive.

Marshall really looks fit, by the way. He's streamlined to compared to the muscle/heft he toted around last summer in camp.

Jackson is a big dude. Possibly too big? If so, he'll sweat it off in camp.

I can't imagine what it would be like to be a DB and have this train, Jackson, coming around the bend, his headlights locked in on you.

I don't know if the Rams will formally announce this Sunday, but it is done. All parties seemed happy.

Thought you'd want to know, ASAP.

Cheers,
                                Bernie...
                                -07-25-2004, 08:16 AM
                              • RamWraith
                                Rams' Jackson has been this way before
                                by RamWraith
                                The running back was successful in following Ken Simonton at OSU; now he is replacing Marshall Faulk
                                Friday, August 19, 2005
                                RACHEL BACHMAN
                                To get an idea of how Steven Jackson will handle taking over for rushing legend Marshall Faulk this season, St. Louis Rams fans need only read Oregon State football history.

In 2002, Jackson handled the starting tailback job on the heels of Ken Simonton, the Beavers' career rushing leader with 5,044 yards. So what did Jackson do in the shadow of such a legacy?

He set Oregon State's single-season rushing record, with 1,690 yards.

"So the same steps that I'm walking now, I've already walked," Jackson said in a telephone interview. "It's no pressure. I feel like I've been through this, and I have something I can look back on and see how things worked out for me."

Life, Jackson said, is good. In July, he held a free football camp at his high school, Las Vegas' Eldorado, for 125 kids. Also in the offseason, the Rams installed FieldTurf at the Edward Jones Dome -- good news for Jackson's knee, which suffered a partially torn ligament and bruise on the dome's Astroturf last season.

To top it off, Jackson, the No. 24 pick in the 2004 draft, was named the Rams' starter in the offseason. Not bad for a guy who turned 22 last month.

"It's special," Jackson said. "Coming into the NFL, everyone dreams of not only getting there, but once you get there, wanting to be a starter. So I'm happy that it happened as soon as it did for me. It helped me prepare this offseason knowing I was going to be the starter, not to have to look over my shoulders. . . .

"I really feel like now I'm starting to live out my dream."

Jackson shared duties with Faulk last season, running for 673 yards to Faulk's 774. Jackson started three of the Rams' 16 regular-season games and played in both playoff games.

But now the starting position is Jackson's, along with the attention that goes with the title. Jackson said fans greeted him warmly last season.

He said no fan had gotten particularly crazy in his or her devotion, but "I had a couple of fans offer to cook dinner and invite me over," he said. "That's something I can't do, though."

Jackson said Faulk, who has gained almost 12,000 yards in 11 seasons, has not had a problem with his replacement.

"Marshall's not that kind of guy," Jackson said. "He understands that the game's going to go on. He's so advanced and so smart with things that he wants to pass the knowledge down to me so that one day I'll be able to do the same thing for another young guy."

Faulk's best advice to Jackson? Be yourself.

"Don't go out of my way trying to do things that he does, because we're two...
                                -08-19-2005, 01:57 PM
                              • RamWraith
                                Jackson makes comments on comments
                                by RamWraith
                                Tuesday, July 27, 2004
                                RACHEL BACHMAN

In the past six days, Steven Jackson has experienced an NFL head coach's anger, his 21st birthday and life as a new millionaire.

And he hasn't even played a down of pro football.

Jackson begins final preparations for his rookie season Wednesday, when the St. Louis Rams' training camp begins in Macomb, Ill. He has a freshly inked, $7 million contract and a new appreciation for the high-profile business he has joined.

Last Wednesday, Rams coach Mike Martz blasted Jackson in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, painting him as no-show at workouts, calling him "far behind" and saying Jackson would have to shake off the "glitz and glamour of being the No. 1 guy" and go to work.

Jackson called Martz's comments shocking, but said the coach merely has not gotten to know him.

In fact, NFL rules prohibited Jackson, the Rams' top draft pick at No. 24 overall, from attending full-squad practice sessions last May because Oregon State's senior class had yet to graduate. On Monday, Jackson explained that he skipped the Rams' rookie mini-camp this month because he did not want to injure himself before he was under contract.

"The few times I had a chance to talk to him, he comes across as a stern guy," Jackson said of Martz. "I haven't really felt him out, and I don't think he's felt me out, either. Because the way he portrayed me in the paper and in the media . . . everyone who's gotten a chance to know me knows I'm not like that.

"I don't shy away from any workload or anything like that."

After Martz's outburst, Jackson encouraged his agent, Rocky Arceneaux, to get a deal done quickly. On Saturday, Jackson and his parents were watching TV in Arceneaux's office as he negotiated Jackson's contract by phone.

"We were all sitting in the next room while Rocky was negotiating," Jackson said. "And when he came out and told us the numbers, it was kind of like watching someone on 'The Price is Right.' "

The price was right: Jackson has a five-year, $7 million deal, including a $4 million signing bonus.

Jackson and Arceneaux have the same birthday -- July 22 -- so they had much to celebrate when they went out for dinner Saturday night. Jackson had spent his actual birthday at a low-key dinner with his parents, in town from Las Vegas.

The weekend was full of emotion. On Friday, he learned of the death of Justin Williams, the Oregon State redshirt freshman killed in an auto accident on Interstate 5 near Wilsonville.

"I was actually at a party that night and I got the phone call from (former OSU players) Lawrence Turner and Richard Seigler," Jackson said. "They called to tell me that, and I immediately left. It was devastating,...
                                -07-27-2004, 07:35 AM
                              • viper
                                Jacksonites Unite!
                                by viper
                                I hereby proclaim myself to be the number one "Jacksonite." A position formerly held by my esteemed collegue, Av. I'm sorry Av, but, you gave up your position when you proclaimed yourself a "Faulkonite" (or something like that) a couple weeks ago.

I believe that Steven Jackson has shown what he can do for this team. Don't get me wrong, I am a big Marshall Faulk fan and I believe he is one of the greatest all around running backs in NFL history. He is surely (don't call me Shirley) destined for the Hall of Fame. But, he seems to be dancing around a little too much for my taste. He seems a little unsure of himself anymore. He's getting smothered in running plays lately and has been dropping too many passes. Don't get me wrong, I believe Marshall still is a valuable component of our offense, but, IMO he has lost a step. Granted, the offensive line could have something to do with his struggles on running plays, but, Jackson seems to be overcoming such things.

I'm ready for Jackson to get into the offense with Fauk on a 50/50 +/- basis at this point in the season.

Jackson has demonstrated his salt so far this season and is deserving of more playing time. He is a force to be reckoned with. Does anybody know his yards per carry? It has to be impressive.

Av, said a while ago, the ranks of Jacksonites would grow. I'm wondering, is that true? Are there any other Jacksonites out there who wish to step forward and be heard?

Go Rams!!!
                                -10-15-2004, 10:13 PM
                              • laram0
                                Steven Jackson, filling those big shoes nicely
                                by laram0
                                We all know Steven Jackson had quite the challenge ahead of him. Taking over for the Superstar Marshall Faulk. Steven Jackson had his breakout season in 2006. How did 2006 compare to some of Marshall's best seasons?

Steven Jackson (2006) 16 games

Rushing:
                                1528 yds-4.4 avg-13 tds

Receiving:
                                90 rec-806 yds-9.0 avg-3 tds- yac=8.8

Marshall Faulk

1. 1999, 16 games played
                                2. 2000, 14 games played
                                3. 2001, 14 games played

Rushing:
                                1.(1381 yds-5.5 avg-7 tds)
                                2.(1359 yds-5.4 avg-18 tds)
                                3.(1382 yds-5.3 avg-12 tds)

Receiving:
                                1.(87 rec-1048 yds-12.0 avg-5 tds- yac=10.8)
                                2.(81 rec-830 yds-10.2 avg-8 tds- yac=8.3)
                                3.(83 rec-765 yds-9.2 avg-9 tds- yac=7.4)

I would say Steven Jackson is on the right track. Question is can he keep it going?
                                -07-13-2007, 11:54 AM
                              Working...
                              X