Rams/chiefs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams/chiefs

I was just wondering how you Rams fans really feel about Dick Vermeil being in Kansas City and the fact that he took Tony Horne and Trent Green with him. I mean does this really piss you off or could you really care less. Just seems like this a good border war going on there now. Too bad you guys don't play each other every year.

I have met both Dick Vermiel and his wife. They are both lovely people.

My first thought when he went to the Chiefs was *&%£ but I got over that very quick. I am still pissed at how underhand it all was though.

As for Green. This is a class guy and he deserved to play as a starter somewhere. I hope he does well with the Chiefs and that he is treated well.

Horne is a player who can be electric . .... normally when he is smoking the gangi

I hope both team get out of this game with no injuries and they can come out fresh for the season opener.

Comment

I agree with you on how underhanded the whole Vermeil thing was. I mean from a Chief fans point of view, Gunther Cunningham may not have been the right man to lead the team, but he deserved to be treated better than he was. I mean he found out about the Vermeil hiring while he was working at his office. The Chiefs were talking to Vermeil while Cunningham was still the coach and that was wrong.
      I believe Trent Green will have a great season and I hope Horne can add some excitement to our special teams, they were terrible last year.
      I'm with you, I hope no one gets hurt in this game, opening day is coming soon.
      Good luck to the Rams this season.

Comment

I could care less about DV in KC, I liked DV as a coach but some of his decisions were poor, it wasnt until he was forced to rid himself of Tony Banks that he was a success. He seemed to get high on some players even though they screwed him over (banks, Phillips) I Liked Green as a person, but felt he did seem to hang on to the ball too long, and always seemed to miss the Crucial 3rd and long. Horne would have missed if Cason hadn't come along, and Peter Guinta Good Ridance! Al Saunders??? That one could be a factor.

Comment

I'm not too into the KC/Rams storyline w/ Vermeil and all. I think it's more something to create more interest in the game, myself.

Comment

Vermeil brought us a Super Bowl, and he will always have a place in every Rams fan heart, no matter how you actually feel. Folks, he won a Super Bowl. For us. Thank you sir. And as for Trent Green, he was on fire with this offense prior to getting hurt. I think he had only missed three passes in the first two preseason games, 14-17 if I remember. Trent took what happened to him as classy as anyone could. No Rams fan should even have a hint of hatred toward Trent Green. We should only wish him the best, because he deserves the chance to start. He is a hometown boy, you know he is crushed to the circumstances that happened. However, he never took anything away from Kurt Warner, and I really admire him for that. I honestly can say I admire both men. Now, as for Horne , the guy is awesome. He is so exciting to watch on the KOR, and I hope he succeeds also at KC. You know who I didn't like? Gunther, and now he is gone. It's tough to hate them now. lol

Comment

I will always admire Vermeil.He was strange sometimes,but that was part of his appeal.He was /is a warm and caring individual and I hope he gets a good reception in St.Louis Friday.Green is a good quarterback.Period.I hope he has a good season.I hated that we lost Horne.I think we will be fine without him,but he sure was fun to watch.As for the Chiefs,I have never liked them,but I hope they do well for Dick and Trents sake.

GO RAMS!
              ST.LOUIS RAMS:THE MOST FRUSTRATING TEAM IN THE NFL!!!

Comment

I don't make a big deal over the DV situation at all. I just look at is as it was a great season in 1999 with him here and they are memories that can never be replaced. He is gone now and we still have a great team and have a great chance to make a run at it this year. So I wish him all the best in KC and now it's time to look forward and hopefully bring another Super Bowl trophy to St. Louis.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
                  Rams on short rest, Chiefs minus Green for Governor's Cup
                  by RamWraith
                  By R.B. FALLSTROM
                  Updated: 5:46 p.m. ET Sept. 1, 2005
                  ST. LOUIS - The Governor's Cup series between the St. Louis Rams and Kansas City Chiefs is never much more than an average preseason game.

This year it may be even more of a yawner given that the Chiefs will be without Trent Green, who's been experiencing numbness in his lower left leg and foot, and that the Rams will be playing their second game in five days. Coach Mike Martz noted it could be worse, given that the NFL had originally wanted this game to be held on Thursday, precious little time in either case coming off a 37-13 victory at Detroit on Monday night.

"You don't want it to be that way," defensive tackle Tyoka Jackson said. "That's not how you would draw it up. I've never played a game this quickly, so this is something new for me."

Like most final exhibition games, it's primarily a test for players trying to make the 53-man roster.

"This is a great opportunity for some of these guys to make this team, and some that may not, to expose themselves to the whole NFL," Martz said. "It's very important for these guys, that's really what we're kind of banking on."

With only two days of practice to prepare for the game, the Rams will be going with a skeletal game plan.

"We did nothing for Kansas City, nothing," Martz said. "So whatever happens, happens out there."

The frontliners won't play much, either.

"We're going to protect our starters in this last game," Martz said. "You have to. Only a fool wouldn't do it."

Jonathan Quinn will start at quarterback for the Chiefs in place of Green, recovering surgery on his lower left leg. He remains on track to start in the opener Sept. 11 at home against the Jets.

Quinn, who was with the Bears last year but was unemployed before the Chiefs signed him two weeks ago, likely will play the first half. The regular backup, Todd Collins, is out with a hand injury.

One of the more intriguing story lines for the Chiefs could be the debut of former Eagles wide receiver Freddie Mitchell, who has one game to audition for a job. The Chiefs picked him up at the start of training camp but he's been sidelined by a knee injury and for a time considered arthroscopic surgery.

"I've got four years of game tape," Mitchell said. "Hey, I was breast-fed on big games. I'm ready to go out there."

Cornerback Eric Warfield also figures to get his only extensive action in the preseason. He's suspended for the first four games for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy.

This will be the third trip back to St. Louis for Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil, who coached the 1999 Rams to their only Super Bowl championship. The Rams have 12 players that played for him,...
                  -09-01-2005, 06:05 PM
                • RamWraith
                  Rams, Chiefs in Cup Battle
                  by RamWraith
                  By Nick Wagoner
                  Staff Writer

Itís unlike any other preseason game, but like most at the same time. When St. Louis and Kansas City meet in the annual Governorís Cup game, there are bragging rights, a trophy and jobs on the line. There is not much else at stake, though, when the cross-state rivals get together. Kickoff is at 7:08 p.m. Monday at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City.

The Governorís Cup goes to the winner of the game each year. In 2003, the Chiefs claimed a 22-6 win, one of the few preseason matchups that Kansas City has taken. Both teams enter the game with an 0-1 record in the preseason.

Dick Vermeil, who coached the Rams to a win in the 1999 Super Bowl, leads the Chiefs into his fourth season as head coach. A year ago, Kansas City had one of the leagueís best teams, finishing the regular season 13-3 before an AFC Divisional Playoff loss to Indianapolis.

Vermeilís success in St. Louis makes him a favorite on both sides of the state. He retired after the Super Bowl win, but his passion for the game brought him back two years later, this time on the western side of Missouri.

Since taking over the team, he has transformed the Chiefs into a Super Bowl contender within three years, much as he did in St. Louis. His first year resulted in a 6-10 finish, followed by an 8-8 before last seasonís magnificent turnaround.

The affection his former players have for Vermeil is a mutual feeling. Known for wearing his emotions on his sleeve, Vermeil said he will always have a place for the players that took him to footballís highest peak and is excited about seeing the 10 remaining Rams from his time in St. Louis. ďI always look forward to seeing them,Ē Vermeil said. ďThey were part of a great experience, and will always remain a part of a great experience, you canít change that, you canít lose it, and youíll never forget it. Iím looking forward to seeing those guys and Iím proud of how well theyíve done.Ē

When Vermeil retired, his offensive coordinator, Mike Martz, took the reins. Martz continued building on what Vermeil started and has made the Rams into one of the leagueís premiere franchises.

The game against Vermeilís Chiefs marks the second reunion with a former Rams coach. The first preseason game had former Ramsí defensive coordinator Lovie Smith back in St. Louis as head coach of the Bears. This time, it is Martz going against one of his former mentors.

Martz said he isnít worried about any of the commotion surrounding the game. The trophy means little and, while he is always happy to see Vermeil, whenever the game starts, he has on thing on his mind, winning. ďI donít care where it is, or what cup it is,Ē Martz said. ďThe tea cup, the Governorís cup, the coffee cup, I could care less. We want to play as good as we can. Iím not trying to diminish anybodyís thoughts about anything, but if youíre a competitor...
                  -08-23-2004, 06:36 AM
                • ramsbruce
                  Chiefs | Green's Father Passes Away
                  by ramsbruce
                  Chiefs | Green's Father Passes Away
                  Sat, 29 Oct 2005 21:15:01 -0700

Adam Schefter, of NFL.com, reports Kansas City Chiefs QB Trent Green's father, Jim, has passed away at the age of 58. Green missed practice Friday, Oct. 28, to be with his family, but is not going to miss the team's game Sunday, Oct. 30, against the San Diego Chargers.
                  -10-30-2005, 12:37 AM
                • Nick
                  Vermeil still retiring after 2005
                  by Nick
                  From a Jacksonville Jaguars notebook....

Vermeil's retirement on track

Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil reiterated Wednesday that he will retire after next season, no matter how much his close friend, Kansas City general manager Carl Peterson, tries to persuade him otherwise.

The Chiefs are 1-3 this year but went 13-3 last year in Vermeil's third season, tying the franchise record for victories.

"I'm definitely retiring [after next year],'' Vermeil said. "I'll finish this year and go one more, which is what I told Carl all along. I'll be 69 when I retire, and I will miss it.''
                  -10-14-2004, 07:09 AM
                • Nick
                  Dennis Green isn't underestimating the Rams
                  by Nick
                  On Sirius satellite radio, Dennis Green was interviewed and discussed what he thought of the Rams/Chiefs game. I wasn't paying a heck of a lot of attention, but he mentioned how Martz hasn't won a lot in the preseason but when the regular season rolls around, the Rams are still the Greatest Show on Turf. He said the Rams probably went into the game not expecting the Chiefs to blitz as much as they did, but Green said, "If you know Cunningham, then you know he's gonna blitz."
                  -08-25-2004, 06:08 PM
                Working...
                X