• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith Takes Long Road to St. Louis

Saturday, May 12, 2007

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

By now, almost everybody knows the incredible story of the No. 13 that came to camp with the Rams as a long shot and left as a legend. This story isn’t about that player and the ending has yet to be written, but if it’s ending is anything close to the last one, it will be every bit as heartwarming and just as incredible.

Throwing on the No. 13 practice jersey would seem like bad luck considering the negative connotation that goes with the number. In St. Louis, it’s a number revered for what quarterback Kurt Warner once did with it on his back.

This weekend, at the Rams’ rookie minicamp, the next in the line of players to pull that jersey over the shoulder pads is taking aim at being the next undrafted rookie free agent makes good story.

His name is Shaine Smith. At 6’2, 189 pounds, he cuts a lean, almost lanky shadow that lets you know immediately that he is a wide receiver. At first glance, Smith seems like normal camp fodder, a player who looks the part, but might never get past the training camp stage of the NFL offseason.

But Smith’s journey to St. Louis has been anything but normal. Some would call it arduous, others might say difficult and some might not believe you if you told them.

“I have come a long way from where I have been and I tell ya, it’s hard to say I am in a Rams uniform right now, it’s hard to fathom,” Smith said. “But I worked hard and I always believed and dreamed I would be able to do this.”

Smith had a relatively normal upbringing in San Diego. Although his parents had separated when he was young and his family didn’t have a whole lot of money, Smith was able to make his way through school while excelling on the football field.

Before he could make the next step to college football, though, things began to unravel around him. In 2000, Smith’s mother, Lorraine Taylor, lost her job working at an insurance company in San Diego.

Without that source of income, she was no longer able to pay the rent and provide for Smith and his younger half-brother, Trevor. For the next two months that trio began bouncing around San Diego with no place to call home.

They stayed in hotels when Taylor could afford it, but set up in Taylor’s Honda Civic just as often. Three people in a tiny, four-door car was hardly the ideal living situation.

When Matthew Smith, Shaine’s father, heard about the situation, he set out to find a way to help his son. The only problem was Shaine was on the other side of the country. Matthew Smith lived in Queens, N.Y., and fought to get Shaine to join him.

Smith resisted, opting to live with his football coach and some family friends for two months before finally relenting and moving to be with his father. It was the middle of Smith’s junior season when he caved in and made the move.

At the time, Smith didn’t know how good of a decision he was about to make. While he had an uncertain relationship with his father, there were never any problems after getting over the initial adjustment that goes with making a cross-country move.

Smith enrolled at August Martin High in Queens and made an immediate impact as a senior. In fact, Smith played well enough to draw interest from a number of high-major division I football programs. Penn State and West Virginia were among the teams showing interest in Smith’s services.

Instead of taking his talents to Happy Valley, though, Smith found another blockade on the road to success. Lacking the grades to gain admittance to one of those schools, Smith settled for enrolling in Nassau (Long Island) Community College in 2002.

Smith played two seasons there before searching once again to find a more permanent home. When he was done there in 2005, he had a single scholarship offer and it wasn’t from Penn State. His next destination? Hofstra.

Playing for the Pride didn’t have the pizzazz of some of the colleges interested in him out of high school, but Smith saw an opportunity to continue his education and his football career.

Although Hofstra doesn’t have much of a reputation for football (it is Division I-AA), it did have a bit of a reputation for sending some players to the NFL. Receiver Wayne Chrebet had a solid career for the New York Jets and quarterback Giovanni Carmazzi was drafted.

Little did Smith know that in going to Hofstra, he would find himself behind the next in line of Hofstra’s growing NFL lineage. Stuck on the depth chart behind Marques Colston and Devale Ellis, Smith didn’t have much of a junior season. In fact, he caught just one pass for 8 yards for the Pride as a junior.

Colston went on to become a seventh-round choice of the New Orleans Saints and Ellis made the Detroit Lions as an undrafted rookie. Those departures opened the door for Smith to finally have his moment as the team’s go-to receiver.

“It gives me great confidence because I played alongside (Colston) along with some other great receivers at Hofstra,” Smith said. “It’s like if you can do it, I can do it too. Why can’t I?”

And Smith did not disappoint. In the first game of his senior season, Smith caught 12 balls for 195 yards and a touchdown. He began to draw interest from NFL scouts, who paid a little closer attention to Hofstra after Colston took the league by storm as a rookie.

By the time his senior year was through, Smith had 60 catches for 951 yards and nine touchdowns. The next step, he hoped, was a shot at the NFL.

With Colston and Ellis returning to New York, Smith joined them in training. Colston and Ellis showed Smith the ropes, teaching him how to prepare for the NFL and the numerous workouts and cattle calls he would go through on the pre-draft circuit.

Colston and Smith talk almost daily and Colston provided plenty of advice for his friend leading up to the draft.

“The best thing he told me is, ‘It’s simple. This is what we have been doing all our lives. Just go out and do what you do,’” Smith said. “It’s as simple as that. There is no secret to what you do; there is no underground way to try to get there. Just do what you have done your whole life and everything will come natural.”

Smith thought he had done enough to get a call during the draft that he had been selected. The Jets and Eagles had shown of interest and Smith figured one of them would grab him in the late rounds.

When that didn’t happen, Smith faced the decision of which team he would try to make as an undrafted free agent much like his friend Ellis did last year. He liked the situation in Philadelphia, but wasn’t offered much after the draft. He settled on St. Louis.

While Smith begins to learn about his new teammates, coaches and city, he is also in the process of reshaping his relationship with his mother. Soon after leaving for New York, Smith had vowed to bring her to New York when it became possible.

Finally, while on a visit to San Diego in March, Smith got a call from a family friend who had located his mother.

“We brought her back to New York, thank God,” Smith said. “She is doing really well now. I am just happy for that. It seems like now, I had a good senior season, I got my mother back, I talk to my brothers, it seems like everything is starting to come together and it feels great.”

In the long and winding journey to St. Louis, Smith finally feels like everything is starting to fall into place. He is fully aware that he’s a long shot to make the roster, but he doesn’t let that bother him.

Coach Scott Linehan says Smith has as good a shot as anybody.

"I think everybody has got a shot somewhere to be that special exception," Linehan said. "I know expectations are high on high draft picks, but guys like Shaine will get a lot of chances out there."

Smith has faced and beaten the odds enough times in his life to know that nothing’s impossible.

“I don’t want to come in here and say I am a rookie, I am going to learn the ropes,” Smith said. “Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce, those are great receivers. I don’t want to come in here and sit around and (just) watch these guys; I am going to come with the mindset that I am playing. It doesn’t stop here for me. I have to get where they are at so I am going to soak up as much knowledge from those guys. I want to play my first year, that’s my goal.”

What a story that would make.

Re: Smith Takes Long Road to St. Louis

Seems like a good kid ... For those of you who would like to see a picture of him -- here's the link: (It may take a few moments to download)
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...ra-focus_N.htm

Comment

Re: Smith Takes Long Road to St. Louis

I really hope he turns into a Colston, and could replace Bruce later. Yes, I know thats a longshot. Who knows, but I really hope it works out.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
        Smith Progressing Well
        by r8rh8rmike
        Smith Progressing Well
        Tuesday, August 18, 2009

By Nick Wagoner
        Senior Writer

After almost every practice since the Rams made him the No. 2 pick in this year’s NFL Draft, Jason Smith can be found out on the practice field doing two things.

First and foremost, Smith has made a habit of staying after practice to work with offensive line coaches Art Valero and Steve Loney on something he feels needed improvement from the just-completed workout.

When that is done, about 20 minutes later, Smith can be found hauling around the pads of his veteran teammates.

“It’s what I am but I am not doing it just to be doing it,” Smith said. “It’s something that I need to work on that day technically or physically. There’s always something to work on.”

Such is the life of a rookie in the NFL. And while those parts of it are normal, Smith’s approach to the game is anything but.

The Rams completed their final two a day practice of this year’s training camp on Tuesday afternoon. With that, the team is almost halfway through the preseason and Smith’s development process is in full swing.

From the moment he arrived in St. Louis, plenty of people have placed some weighty expectations on Smith but the coaching staff has ignored that and asked Smith to earn his position.

Until Tuesday, Smith had extremely limited repetitions with the first team offense as he has worked almost exclusively as the second-team right tackle behind Adam Goldberg.

Nothing has been handed to him and Smith has asked for nothing in return. Instead, Smith is lapping up every opportunity to learn the game from his veteran teammates.

Nary a player has been more helpful in that regard than Goldberg. Although Goldberg and Smith are technically competing for the job at right tackle, neither seems too concerned with beating out the other.

Quite the opposite, in fact.

“I take that as part of my role but I tell you what, he doesn’t need too many tips,” Goldberg said. “He’s going to be a really good football player and he’s a great person too, the kind of guy that you like to help out because he works hard, doesn’t take anything for granted, takes good notes, asks good questions. So he’s the type of young player that you want to help and want to see succeed.”

The modest Goldberg won’t take much credit for helping Smith learn the nuances of the NFL but Smith is quick to credit Goldberg for stepping into the mentor role.

“I feel that if Goldberg wasn’t here I would have been running around like a chicken with my head cut off,” Smith said. “What is the competition? The competition is Rams vs. whoever we play. It’s not amongst each other. Obviously we are going to make each other better by communicating things we see but if he wasn’t here, how far along would I...
        -08-18-2009, 08:23 PM
      • RamWraith
        Smith gets a chance to start with Rams
        by RamWraith
        By Jim Thomas
        ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
        Sunday, Aug. 06 2006

Paul Smith came into the NFL as an unheralded fifth-round pick out of Texas-El
        Paso.

In six NFL seasons with San Francisco and Detroit, he has only one touchdown on
        his resume.

A fullback-halfback 'tweener, his very modest career totals are 210 yards
        rushing and 182 yards receiving. To put that in perspective, Marshall Faulk has
        topped those rushing and receiving totals in a single game.

Fittingly, Smith joined the Rams with no fanfare May 6, signing a one-year deal
        paying him $585,000 in base salary.

And at Saturday's scrimmage, when the Rams' offensive unit broke the huddle for
        its first play - there was Smith, again minus the fanfare, with the starters.

"I guess they like what I've done at practice," Smith, 28, said. "I'm happy for
        the opportunity to do that. Hopefully, I'll run with it and do well."

Smith learned Friday that he would work with the starting unit - ahead of last
        year's Rams starter, Madison Hedgecock.

Kind of made your day, right?

"Oh yeah," Smith said. "It made my whole year."

Whether Smith holds on to the job remains to be seen. But he has clearly made
        an impression with coach Scott Linehan and his staff.

"A fullback's role is a thankless job," Linehan said. "Paul comes out every
        day, and he tries to put it right on the numbers and put a guy on his back. And
        that's what you're looking for. Plus, he has the ability to catch the ball."

Previously, Smith had carved out a niche for himself in the NFL as a hard-nosed
        special teams player.

"I've always been the wedge-buster, things like that," Smith said. "Setting the
        tempo for games. Sticking my nose in there on lead blocks and things like that."

Over the years, Smith has gotten a few chances at halfback and fullback, for
        three seasons with Steve Mariucci in San Francisco, and then following Mariucci
        to Detroit in 2003.

Smith has been slowed by injuries at times. He missed five weeks in 2002 in San
        Francisco with a hamstring injury. He missed the entire 2004 season in Detroit
        with a shoulder injury.

On the field, whether it was at halfback or fullback, Smith rarely touched the
        football. In 55 NFL games, he has only 46 carries and 18 receptions. His career
        high in receptions - five - came in '03, when Smith's Lions upset the Rams
        30-20 in a regular-season finale that cost St. Louis home-field advantage in
        the playoffs.

But playing fullback, Smith says, "is not about stats. What your running back
        does,...
        -08-07-2006, 05:00 AM
      • RamsFan16
        Smith in Familiar Spot
        by RamsFan16
        Smith in Familiar Spot
        Friday, February 24, 2006

By Nick Wagoner
        Senior Writer

INDIANAPOLIS – In more ways than one, Brad Smith has been in this position before. In fact, it’s almost old hat.

The Missouri quarterback arrived at the NFL combine here this week with hopes of playing quarterback at the game’s highest level. The only problem with that is that Smith is another in a recent string of athletic quarterbacks who are better athletes than quarterbacks.

Although Smith brought the Missouri program from the dregs of the Big 12 Conference back to respectability with a bowl win in his senior season and became the only player in the history of the NCAA to throw for 8,000 yards and run for 4,000, he just doesn’t have what it takes to play quarterback in the NFL in the minds of many NFL scouts and coaches. Those same coaches and scouts would have no problems with Smith working out as a receiver or even a safety.

Still, Smith insisted on working out as a quarterback and he will do so Sunday morning with the hopes that he will show an arm that is strong and accurate enough to complement his tremendous speed.

“I feel like I'm a quarterback and can be a great quarterback down the line in the league with the opportunity to develop and learn a system,” Smith said. “I want to play quarterback, that's where my heart is.”
        In the weeks since he led the Tigers to an Independence Bowl victory against South Carolina, Smith has worked out every day, throwing as many passes as possible. He has been running and says he has been clocking in the low 4.4s in the 40-yard dash.

But running has never been Smith’s problem. He is Missouri’s all-time leading rusher with 4,289 yards and holds almost every other record in school history.

It’s Smith’s ability (or inability) to be consistent in the passing game that has him in a precarious position as he prepares for the draft. Smith has been tinkered and toyed with for all of his time at Missouri, alternately working in a run heavy offense and leading a pass happy unit.

But the numbers point only to a player who is great when the ball is in his hands and average at best when he lets it fly. Smith’s best passing season came as a junior when he completed 60.3 percent of his passes, but he never went above that number and completed a meager 51.8 percent as a junior.

That junior season was also the team’s worst year and the year in which the Missouri coaching staff attempted to tweak the offense the most. Even when Smith was completing passes, they generally were quick hits or dump offs as he averaged less than 6 yards per completion in each of his final three seasons.

For those many reasons, there is one person with some advice for Smith when it comes to changing positions. Corby Jones, the former Missouri quarterback who held most of Smith’s records...
        -02-25-2006, 05:51 PM
      • MauiRam
        Smith Settling In ..
        by MauiRam
        By Nick Wagoner/Senior Writer

Entering his third year in the NFL, Rams tackle Jason Smith has moved well beyond the expectations set for him by those outside of the team.

Smith says his full attention is dedicated not to meeting some sort of lofty expectations that are inherent with his draft status. Rather, Smith is aiming only to meet the goals he sets for himself and meet the needs of the team.

“It’s one of those deals where other people make a scenario up for you,” Smith said. “But for me, I just look at it the same; it’s football and I want to be the best I can be at it.”

There have been plenty of ups and downs in Smith’s relatively short career but many believe that the third year is the time for a player to make his move.

In this training camp, the coaching staff has been pleased with Smith’s progress, especially considering that though his media guide bio says he’s in his third year, he’s really only working with about a year and a half of experience.

It’s helped that Smith has been able to settle in at the right tackle spot where he’s been tasked with facing one of the league’s emerging pass rushers in Chris Long every day in practice.

Long has been one of the Rams’ best players in camp according to coach Steve Spagnuolo and he’s pushed Smith to improve his pass protection.

“You are playing a position and playing a game and the more you are doing it, the more comfortable you are getting, the more patience you are gaining, the more ability you have to do your job,” Smith said. “And I am going against Chris Long every day. This guy is a workhorse and I feel like I have become a better tackle going against him and understanding what I’m doing.”

Taken with the second overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, Smith was expected to step right in and dominate as a left tackle. That’s the job most view as commensurate with being selected that high and made even more difficult for Smith by those expecting him to be the next Orlando Pace.

Smith’s rookie season was derailed by injuries, though, including an early season knee injury and a concussion that ended his season. All told, he played just eight games with five starts and just when it appeared he was settling in, he suffered the concussion.

“Obviously I have had some stumbling blocks in my career with a couple of injuries here and there but I trained and feel like I had a great offseason,” Smith said. “I am sound in my faith in God and I don’t see myself wavering from anything I know to do.”

Finally able to get on the field and stay there in 2010, Smith made strides as he settled in on the right side with then-rookie Rodger Saffold on the left.

In 15 games (he missed one with a concussion issue), Smith allowed four sacks according to STATSPASS as the Rams trimmed their total sacks allowed by 10 as quarterback...
        -08-22-2011, 12:32 PM
      • Nick
        Smith Signs, Ready to Work
        by Nick
        Smith Signs, Ready to Work
        Thursday, July 30, 2009
        By Nick Wagoner
        Senior Writer

Jason Smith isn’t the type of person to worry about things outside of his direct. That’s why when it came time to strike a deal on a contract with the Rams, Smith left all of the off the field work to his agents.

And so it was that the Rams and Smith found their common ground late Thursday afternoon and agreed to the contract that will have Smith on the practice field when the team begins its first full squad workout on Friday afternoon.

“Obviously things have to be done in order for me to be here,” Smith said. “Things I can control, I control. Things I can’t control, I don’t worry about.”

Throughout the process of waiting for his initial, lucrative NFL contract, Smith never wavered in his faith that the contract would be completed in time for him to join the rest of the team for the first full squad practice.

Smith stayed out of the negotiations and left the work to his agents, Ben Dogra and Tom Condon, and Rams Vice President of Football Operations/Chief Operating Officer Kevin Demoff.

When the rest of the rookie class stepped on the field for a pair of short workouts on Thursday afternoon, Smith was not with them. But he wasn’t far away.

Smith remained calm even as his teammates and fellow rookies went through the paces.

“We hire agents when we leave college and if you hire good ones that have a history of doing things the right way, what is there to worry about?” Smith said. “At the end of the day, I am the one that asked them to do this for me. A lot of this is about trust. If I am doing what I can do, what more is there to worry about?”

After the two sides reached an accord, Smith went to the Russell Training Center and promptly put pen to paper, making his status as an NFL player official.

For Smith, it’s been a long time in the making but he was more excited about what awaits tomorrow than what happened today. There will be no celebrating for Smith in the immediate aftermath of signing his contract.

“I have got practice tomorrow and that’s pretty much all I am thinking about,” Smith said. “At the end of the day there is a time and place for everything. Right now I only have time to say ‘What can I do to help my team be better tomorrow?’”

Smith left the Russell Training Center after signing the contract and immediately reported to the team hotel in time for dinner and a team meeting.

Smith’s timely arrival is perhaps made more important by the fact that he is expected to immediately compete for a starting job at one of the tackle positions.

“Football is a very competitive sport and at the end of the day, it’s all about competition and that’s why I play this game,” Smith said.

Smith spent most of the offseason program working...
        -07-31-2009, 09:33 AM
      Working...
      X