Martz should go???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martz should go???

The Rams are 56-24 since 1999. That's tied for the best record in the NFL over that span with Tennessee. Martz must be doing something right, but yet so many call for his head. Not sure I understand. Should Manning be fired for not producing a Super Bowl?? Should Vick be replaced for getting hurt?? Should Culpepper be replaced for having to learn on the run?? Why doesn't Martz receive the love?? Do you need a "bling, bling" to be popular among rabid fans?

Re: Martz should go???

I think it is a minority of people anymore who are screaming that Martz should go, but there still is a vocal amount of fans out there that still think he's a better OC than HC. Why? Because he won the Super Bowl as an HC? If the defense dosen't stop the Titans on the one yard line, our defense was looking like Carolina's in our playoff game. Tired. That game goes to OT, I don't think we hang on.

I think his best team was the 2001 team. That team was a completely different team due to the implosion of the defense. Still had all the pieces offensively, Hakim and a monster game against the Pats. Just came up short defensively. If that game hangs on and goes to OT, the way the offense was clicking most think the Rams win that game.

It's a game of inches. Wilkins puts just a little more ummmph under the ball, and believe me I'm not blaming Wilkins for missing a 54 yarder, the Rams win last years playoff game.

Martz did a great job last year. Yes, he admits he may have made a mistake against Carolina. Let's see if he has learned from it. Would also like to see clearer communication between Martz and the offense while they are on the field. Martz has said the same thing. As long as the man understands where the improvement needs to come from, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt due to his record. Don't give me this inherited ball club stuff, only about 4 or 5 are left from the 1999 days. Important 4 or 5 but the last time I noticed there was 53 men on the roster.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -07-26-2004, 05:19 PM.

Comment

As a head coach of four seasons, Martz is 43-21. That's a winning percentage of 67%. Meanwhile, Andy Reid has coached one more season and is 51-29 with a winning percentage of 63%. It makes me wonder how many Eagles fans are calling for Reid's head.

Comment

Oh cmon!!

Martz isn't going anywhere. I think his record speaks for itself. The NFL is all about winning. If you don't produce a winner as a head coach then your gone. Martz is a very good head coach. Sure he is controversial at times and that is one of the reasons I love the guy. He is one of my all-time favorite Rams head coaches.

Some fans just like to vent, while others like to put on the rose colored glasses and kiss butt. Sure I like to pick on Martz, but it comes with the territory. If I were his boss, I would certainly give him a piece of my mind, just to see what he's made of. He might be a wuss and quit, but I can honestly say I would not fire him. Bottom line - He's a winner.

I can't think of a better head coach who is currently available. There will always be fans who complain or criticize. It just comes with the territory for Martz. Rest assured it will be losses that will lose a head coach his job not the fans.

:ramlogo:

Comment

There have been times in the past when I was so angry at Martz I thought he should go. So many misjudgements, so many game in game out blunders that have almost become trademarks, so many truely bad decisions and so many lost opportunities. In looking at countless outside sources to help judge Martz and make sure I don't have some unreasonable bias against him, without exception, they all say the same thing, great offensive mind, not so great game day head coach.

That being said, I like Mike Martz and want him to reach the potential as a head coach I know he can attain. His inability to become the great coach he should be is what kills me. When I think about not having Mike Martz on the Ram sideline though, I realize he would be sorely missed. He more than anyone creates the personality and image that is stamped on the team. He is such a huge part of the success we have seen the last several years, I'm comfortable having him on the sidelines in 2004 and look forward to praising him as opposed to criticizing him.

As I have said before, this is the year he has to prove whether he can, or can't get the job done in a competent manner. If we see more of the same problems this year, I don't think I can give him any more passes.

Comment

I Agree he should stay long, I mean after all the 90's well He's a great OC and I think he's getting better as a coach and in my opinion he has won some games also like the arizona game last year I just love his aggresivenes mentality to go for some plays, some times he fail but i like people who take risks, although he didn't against Carolina last year but well I like and I have enjoyed a lot since he's the coach.
            vicdan

Comment

I agree r8rh8r, that Martz's stamp is what makes these rams who they are. I wouldn't trade him for any other coach and I hope he sticks around for all of Holt's career and takes us to another SB or two.

I do think he is a better OC than HC. However, that doesn't mean I feel he should go back to coordinating, just that we had a nice mixture with him focussing on his specialty and someone else doing the multi-tasking.

Comment

Well its good to see that most here are open minded people who apparently enjoy a little ganja from time to time. I can think of no other reason for such SHORT TERM MEMORY LOSS besides pot smoking. It wont be long into the season before most of your tunes(Tex excluded) change. I believe Rain Man will be a (bad)memory by seasons end.

Only 2 teams (MN and KC) gave up more yards per carry last year on defense. I MISSED the moves that were made to improve our run defense in the off season. If you cant stop the run in the NFL,you simply arent going to go very far. How can we discount the addition of the MUCH COVETED Larry Marmie...as he enjoyed such success in AZ(his D gave up 28+ pts per game in 03...dead LAST in NFL). Factor in the Little debacle plus losing Wistrom and this defense is poised for a further drop off.
                "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Comment

I think with basically no controversy going in to the season, This might be a great year.Martz is not on my "A" list right now ,but that could change. Martz needs to get back to cut throat football and not look back or second guess! Now that will put on my "A" list ! And get alot of people off his back!

Comment

Originally posted by Fargo Ram Fan
                    Well its good to see that most here are open minded people who apparently enjoy a little ganja from time to time. I can think of no other reason for such SHORT TERM MEMORY LOSS besides pot smoking. It wont be long into the season before most of your tunes(Tex excluded) change. I believe Rain Man will be a (bad)memory by seasons end.

Only 2 teams (MN and KC) gave up more yards per carry last year on defense. I MISSED the moves that were made to improve our run defense in the off season. If you cant stop the run in the NFL,you simply arent going to go very far. How can we discount the addition of the MUCH COVETED Larry Marmie...as he enjoyed such success in AZ(his D gave up 28+ pts per game in 03...dead LAST in NFL). Factor in the Little debacle plus losing Wistrom and this defense is poised for a further drop off.
                    Fargo, glad you found our home again. Now, back to the defense. Yes, they did struggle at times. However, they did shut down Jamal Lewis and Ahman Green. DeShaun Foster looked like an all pro though. They just weren't consistent. They need to get better. However, how are they supposed to go get a big name FA with our salary cap situation being sucked up by the offense? Marmie also had no one to work with at Arizona.

This is the year where that draft of 2001 is graded. Either the DT's step up and play up to their first round potential, or they are busts and we implode the D line again for the second time since 2000.

And you won't hear me call for Martz's head this year. He's retooled this team every year and every year the Rams remain competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargo Ram Fan
                      How can we discount the addition of the MUCH COVETED Larry Marmie...as he enjoyed such success in AZ(his D gave up 28+ pts per game in 03...dead LAST in NFL).
                      Fargo--do you think that the Cardinals' defensive personnel last year were better than our's will be this year? Marmie didn't have a whole lot to work with last season in Arizona; certainly not comparable to what he'll have to work with here.

Comment

Martz is a very good coach and has built this team to win. He has learned from DV that in order to win you must surround yourself with good coaches. I don't always agree with his choices during a game, but that's what being a fan is all about. I couldn't think of another coach I would like to see running this team. Just think, none of the current starters on D were with the Rams in 99'.
                        JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS
                        :ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram:

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
                        Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Comment