One Move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Move

You've just been hired as Martz's assistant, and he's looking to your objective and knowledgeable input to make one last move, put in one last piece of the puzzle, to gear up the Rams for the season. It's inside knowledge that Pace is going to sign and play, and Hargrove's signing is happening a day away.

So, you can make ONE last change. What do you do, and how do addresses the details of the move and get it done?

For me, I go out and get a solid linebacker, say worth around a #2 draft pick, available on the market.

Re: One Move

and who would that be. You said you must have details ;-)

I wouldn't do anything. This team is as solid as it is going to get. I would not give anything of our furture to the present, it just wouldn't be worth it. There is one FA agent linbacker out there that I would sign for depth and a monster pass rush and that is Charile Clemons. Other than then that I would need to wait and see if any cuts come during camp.

Originally posted by coy bacon

For me, I go out and get a solid linebacker, say worth around a #2 draft pick, available on the market.

Comment

I'd think about throwing a draft pick at the Raiders for Doug Jolley or the Patriots for Daniel Graham. Both are good receivers with potential to become good blockers, and both are back-ups on teams with good depth at the position. I think either would be adequate in our #2 tight end spot over Cam Cleeland and could even challenge Manu for a starting role. Their ability as receivers makes them appealing in our offense, especially someone like Graham.

I might also go after a trade for a young interior linemen like Ben Hamilton of the Broncos, Andre Gurode of the Cowboys, or Mike Wahle of the Packers. Hamilton isn't exceptionally athletic but he's very strong and tough, and the Broncos might be willing to take a small chip out of their already strong interior line. Gurode will be competing for a starting job with Matt Lehr this season. He possesses a vast number of strong points but has had some motivation problems that I think the Rams could solve. He's the youngest of the suggestions I've made. Finally, acquiring Wahle would continue the Rams' strategy of stealing seasoned Packer veterans for their line, and I think the Packers might be more willing to trade Wahle considering he's a UFA after this season, and Green Bay would rather get something in return for him than watch him walk.

Of course if none of these deals would pull through, I wouldn't fret. There are a number of talented young tight ends in the 2005 draft, such as Andrew Clarke or Alex Smith. David Baas, a guard from Michigan, should be a solid first round guard prospect that I think should continue his career wearing blue and gold. Someone like Elton Brown from Virginia has great size and could raise his stock this season.

Comment

No player acquisitions...

If I were Martz' new assistant, I would ask him if I could be in charge of time-outs. Just let me handle when to call them. Also, I will be in charge of looking at the score, and the time left on the clock, to determine whether 3 or 7 would be better at that particular point in the game and advise accordingly.

Please hire someone like that Mike.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
          NFL Draft Countdown's Nov. 11 Mock Draft
          by Nick
          NFL Draft Countdown's Mock Draft
          Updated November 11, 2005

Round 1
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. GREEN BAY PACKERS
          REGGIE BUSH (RB, Southern Cal)
          -Going into the season it would have been hard to imagine a team with Brett Favre at the helm choosing this high in the draft, but you certainly can't blame their downfall on #4. The bottom line is that management did little to help Favre in the offseason, letting two Pro Bowl offensive lineman in Marco River and Mike Wahle get away, not to mention doing almost nothing to address a defense that was lackluster at best. I was a proponent of Green Bay choosing Aaron Rodgers in round one last year because it was time to begin preparing for life after Favre and Rodgers was a tremendous value where they landed him, but some of their other choices were very questionable at best. Ahman Green has been a fine player but he is set to become a free agent, hasn't performed as well in recent years and is now battling injuries which is why they may look to replace him with this pick. Reggie Bush is simply the most exciting, dynamic football player in the college game and a guy who scouts describe as "special", which is a term that isn't thrown around lightly. He will not only upgrade the running game but also provide a major boost as a receiver out of the backfield and as a return man as well. There could be a bidding war for teams interested in trading up for Matt Leinart here, but teams not in need of a quarterback will probably have Bush as the highest rated player on their board. This guy is an impact player.

2. HOUSTON TEXANS
          D'BRICKASHAW FERGUSON (OT, Virginia)
          -This was supposed to be the year that Houston took a big step forward, but once again it was the same old story with the offensive line holding the team and franchise back. From the point when they took a chance on Tony Boselli in the expansion draft to the signing of Victor Riley this past offseason, the Texans have been in search of a top left tackle literally since their inception but have been unable to find anyone who can hold down the position. Because of this it is nearly impossible to get a read on the true progress of former #1 overall pick David Carr since he is getting sacked at a rate that is setting NFL records. The selection of D'Brickashaw Ferguson would put an end to this problem once and for all though and finally give the team the elite left tackle they, and Carr, have been dreaming of. A tremendous athlete for his size, Ferguson has everything you look for from the position and his name deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as guys like Walter Jones and Jonathan Ogden. As long as Ferguson is available when they pick there really is no need to look at other options because it is crystal clear as to what the franchise needs to do. The only other potential consideration would possibly...
          -11-15-2005, 02:16 PM
        • codeman123
          Possible Players to Target
          by codeman123
          Here are some players that we should take into consideration. Not all are necessarily free agents.

Defensive End

Aaron Kampman - Has not been used properly in Green Bay's switch to a 3-4. He was awful in coverage, but looked right at home when he rushed from his usual end position. I do not expect the Packers to keep him with their great depth. He could come cheaper because of his injury.
          Elvis Dumervil - Has played extremely well in Denver and will probably be tagged. It might not be worth it to pay him, but he would add a lot to our pass rush. There is a very small chance we will have an opportunity to grab him.
          Osi Umenyiora - Is on the outs in New York and is extremely unhappy with his new defensive coordinator. It make take to much to get him, but we would be lucky to have him reunited with his former coach.
          Aaron Schobel - He is contemplating retirement and is not happy with his situation in Buffalo. Has lost some speed, and has become more of a technician. He is still very capable, and put up nice stats in a Buffalo zone defense that puts all of the pass rush responsibilities on him.
          Note - I would be surprised if Leonard Little didn't retire, but we should try to resign Hall he has played very well all season long.

Wide Receiver
          Vincent Jackson - He is by far the best receiver that has a chance to reach free agency. I would be shocked if the Chargers didn't do everything in their power to keep him.
          Brandon Marshall - There's no way he is going to be playing in a Broncos uniform next year, but the way they handle him will affect our ability to be in play. If he is signed as a restricted free agent we will not spend a 1st and 3rd to get him, but if Denver decided they want nothing to do with him then he is certainly an interesting option. He would instantly become our primary target and create mismatches for our other receivers.
          Lee Evans - He is a good target in a bad situation in Buffalo. An interesting option to consider, although he is a deep threat in a similar mold to Avery.
          Dwayne Bowe - I would like the Rams to seriously consider him as an option. KC seems to be frustrated with him, and he would be an upgrade over the receivers we have. Maybe we could trade Carriker and a pick.
          Secondary Options - Antonio Bryant and Steve Breaston could be nice additions to our receiving corps.

Tight End
          Tony Scheffler - The Broncos have leverage on Brandon Marshall, but they might not want to sign Tony and risk having to keep him. There is a large possibility the Rams will be able to sign him.
          Owen Daniels - Had to deal with a season ending injury, but I would be surprised if the Texans let him go he is too talented.

Running Back
          The Rams would be smart to add a speed back to take advantage of Steven Jackson's punishing running style. However it might be smarter to add a young draft pick.
          Jerious Norwood...
          -01-04-2010, 03:37 PM
        • Nick
          NFLDraftCountdown's 2005 2-Round Mock (1/17/05)
          by Nick
          Scott Wright's 2005 MOCK DRAFT - January 17th, 2005

1. San Francisco 49'ers: Aaron Rodgers, QB, California

This is a team in flux with a new front office and coaching staff coming in but more often than not any good rebuilding effort centers around a franchise quarterback. Tim Rattay can be an excellent backup in the league but anything more would have to be considered wishful thinking so with the #1 overall pick they have the opportunity to bring in a centerpiece to rejuvenate the franchise. This is a close call and Alex Smith of Utah also has a good shot at being the first quarterback selected but I give the edge to Rodgers because of his local ties as well as his growing up a fan of the 49'ers. Simply put, he understands what this franchise once was and will take a personal interest in helping to restore that luster. Don't be fooled though, Rodgers is more than deserving of the #1 overall pick based on talent alone and is one of the few players in this Draft who I feel has true star potential. He doesn't have the height you would prefer but his mechanics are textbook and flawless, he is smart after having been tutored by noted quarterback guru Jeff Tedford, he has a great arm and his accuracy is nothing short of amazing. Keep in mind that this is a team that has developed a reputation for being cheap lately so you can't rule out them trading down to save money, but doing so would likely eliminate any chance of landing either of the two franchise signal callers. In my mind there is no doubt that San Francisco should stay at #1 overall and select a quarterback.

2. Miami Dolphins: Cedric Benson, RB, Texas

There is a new sheriff in town and a lot will depend on how Nick Saban assesses the talent on the team, but A.J. Feeley played much better down the stretch and after already investing a high second round pick in him you would think they would be inclined to give him another shot. What this team really lacks is a stud running back after Ricky Williams abruptly retired on them just before the start of training camp. Remember, this was a team with Super Bowl aspirations and the only major change was the loss of Williams so you have to believe that major strides could be made if they can bring that running game back to life. Cedric Benson is one of the most productive running backs in college football history and is a sure thing who will be a 1,000+ yard rusher as a rookie in the NFL. With three great running backs available the Dolphins may look to move down a little and try to recoup the second round pick they dealt to Philadelphia to acquire Feeley and then nab Cadillac Williams or Ronnie Brown later in the top ten if possible. You can't completely rule out Aaron Rodgers or Alex Smith here since Feeley was far from impressive for most of the season and with Saban's defensive roots he may want to bring in some talent on that side of the ball as well, but when all is said and done my money...
          -01-19-2005, 10:10 AM
        • RamWraith
          A good mock draft
          by RamWraith
          http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

This is a pretty good draft site

1. HOUSTON TEXANS
          REGGIE BUSH
          RB | Southern Cal | Scouting Report
          The Texans "earned" this pick by losing a number of close games in bizarre fashion down the stretch and thus won "The Reggie Bush Sweepstakes", as the battle among the leagues worst teams for the top pick had been labeled. In all reality it isn't a question of if Houston will take the star running back from USC, but rather should they? This is a team that has numerous holes to fill, most notably up front along the offensive line, and a running back in Domanick Davis that has rushed for about 1,000+ yards in each year of his career who they just recently rewarded with a new $21.1 million contract extension. There is no doubt that Reggie Bush would make any team better, but for this franchise drafting him is simply not a sound strategy. Bush is a rare athlete who scouts describe as "special" and he can dominate a game with explosive plays as a runner, receiver and return man. However with the Texans he will have to split carries with Davis and won't even help out as a kick returner because they already have a Pro Bowler there in rookie Jerome Mathis. If they want to make the flashy pick and appease the fans they will take Bush, but if they want to make the right football decision they would move down for a package of draft picks and take Ferguson. From all accounts it looks like the team plans to select Bush but you have to wonder how much of an impact he will be able to have for this team with precious few weapons around him and limited opportunities to get his hands on the ball.

2. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
          MATT LEINART
          QB | Southern Cal | Scouting Report
          This would be the ideal scenario for New Orleans as it addresses their most glaring needs both on as well as off the field. From a football standpoint there is little doubt that they need to bring in a top young quarterback now that the final chapters of the Aaron Brooks era have been written. You also can't underestimate the value this selection would provide the franchise from a public relations standpoint either though, as bringing in a high-profile player and Heisman Trophy winner to be the face of the franchise is exactly what the doctor ordered for this beleaguered fan base. By now everyone knows all about Leinart and how he wins National Championships, passes up being the #1 pick a year ago to return to school for his senior season, etc. so I will save you the details. While he doesn't have amazing physical tools Leinart is simply a winner with intangibles that are off the charts, a la Tom Brady, and an added bonus is that he is ready to come in and start right now. This is a match made in NFL Draft Heaven and even if they had the top overall pick Leinart would almost assuredly be their choice so to still be able to land him here...
          -01-08-2006, 05:44 AM
        • Nick
          NFL Draft Countdown's 2/9/05 Mock Draft
          by Nick
          Scott Wright's 2005 MOCK DRAFT - February 9th, 2005

1. San Francisco 49'ers: Aaron Rodgers, QB, California

This is a team in flux with a new front office and coaching staff coming in but more often than not any good rebuilding effort centers around a franchise quarterback. Tim Rattay can be an excellent backup in the league but anything more would have to be considered wishful thinking so with the #1 overall pick they have the opportunity to bring in a centerpiece to rejuvenate the franchise. This is a close call and Alex Smith of Utah also has a good shot at being the first quarterback selected but I give the edge to Rodgers because of his local ties as well as his growing up a fan of the 49'ers. Simply put, he understands what this franchise once was and will take a personal interest in helping to restore that luster. Don't be fooled though, Rodgers is more than deserving of the #1 overall pick based on talent alone and is one of the few players in this Draft who I feel has true star potential. He doesn't have the height you would prefer but his mechanics are textbook and flawless, he is smart after having been tutored by noted quarterback guru Jeff Tedford, he has a great arm and his accuracy is nothing short of amazing. A couple of other guys the team has been rumored to like are Cedric Benson of Texas and Antrel Rolle of Miami so keep them in mind if there is a trade down. In my mind though there is no doubt that San Francisco should stay at #1 overall and select a quarterback.

2. Miami Dolphins: Cedric Benson, RB, Texas

There is a new sheriff in town and a lot will depend on how Nick Saban assesses the talent on the team, but A.J. Feeley played much better down the stretch and after already investing a high second round pick in him you would think they would be inclined to give him another shot. What this team really lacks is a stud running back after Ricky Williams abruptly retired on them just before the start of training camp. Remember, this was a team with Super Bowl aspirations and the only major change was the loss of Williams so you have to believe that major strides could be made if they can bring that running game back to life. Cedric Benson is one of the most productive running backs in college football history and is a sure thing who will be a 1,000+ yard rusher as a rookie in the NFL. With three great running backs available the Dolphins may look to move down a little and try to recoup the second round pick they dealt to Philadelphia to acquire Feeley and then nab Cadillac Williams or Ronnie Brown later in the top ten if possible. You can't completely rule out Aaron Rodgers or Alex Smith here since Feeley was far from impressive for most of the season and with Saban's defensive roots he may want to bring in some talent on that side of the ball as well, but when all is said and done my money is on a running back whether it be at this spot or a little later in...
          -02-10-2005, 06:58 AM
        Working...
        X