X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Move-In Day

By NICK WAGONER
    Staff Writer

Moving day on the PGA Tour is usually reserved for Saturdays, giving golfers the opportunity to move up the leaderboard. In the NFL, moving day means the beginning of a new season. A new opportunity for rookies to move up the depth chart, unknown free agents to move on to the roster and veterans to make the aforementioned rookies move their belongings into their dorm rooms.

The Rams reported to training camp on Tuesday, marking the beginning of the 2004-05 season. St. Louis starts practice Wednesday at Western Illinois University. Coach Mike Martz’s group began rolling in around 11 a.m., but the majority made the trip in the afternoon. Almost every player, including the entire rookie class reported on time.

Martz said the heavy practices will be in the morning, as opposed to the afternoon grind of years past. The team will also have one practice on every third day.

“We look at Olympic track athletes and the third day is a critically important day for a lot of these guys to recover,” Martz said.

Slight adjustments to the practice schedule allow the team more time to rest in the afternoon. The Rams will practice in the morning from 8:10 to 10:25 and again in the evening from 4:30 to 6:30. The players will use the time between practices for meetings, interviews and naps.

Safety Adam Archuleta said the time for slumber is a welcome addition.

“I like to siesta,” Archuleta said. “That’s a great concept and I think we should really start to institute that in America.”

Changes in time aren’t the only ones abound at camp. Quarterback Marc Bulger, coming off a Pro Bowl season, is firmly entrenched as the starting quarterback. Bulger said the safety of his spot gives this camp a different feel.

“Coming in as No. 1 is nice,” Bulger said. “Every year you have different motivations, but this year knowing that the team is going to count on me and being a captain is more motivation this year.”

The defensive line has also seen some alterations. End Grant Wistrom, who departed via free agency for Seattle, left behind his starting spot. A number of competitors emerged for the vacant position, but Bryce Fisher is No. 1 on the depth chart.

Erik Flowers, Sean Moran and rookie Tony Hargrove are also in the mix. Hargrove reported to camp on time after signing at 10:30 a.m. and getting on the rookie bus a half hour later.

Fisher said being No. 1 means little this early in camp.

“I don’t have much of a different feeling,” Fisher said. “I am looking forward to the next three and a half weeks and working hard.”

The only Ram unaccounted for Tuesday was offensive tackle Orlando Pace. St. Louis placed its franchise tag on Pace and has yet to come to terms with him on a new contract.

Martz said he sympathizes with Pace’s situation.

“We have got an Orlando watch out,” Martz said. “I understand what he is going through. It’s what it is, we are not going to change it, why worry about it? When he gets here, we will embrace him and line him up.”

Re: Move-In Day

Man, I hope Pace gets his @#*% together and shows up. We need the O-line to start the season with continuity.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS
    :ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram:

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Comment

Working...
    X